Steve Maxwell on JRE

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:40 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Sure.

Since there's no one right way to train people, especially non-athletes with ambiguous goals, a smart trainer of these people will recognize his own biases and try mitigate them, while always realizing they're there.

Steve comes from a grappling background, and along with the fads he was exposed to over a very long career, those inform his methodology. They are going to be fundamentally different than somebody who spent a lot of time as a gymnast, or a T&F athlete, or a powerlifter. Since the client isn't any of these things, but many of them may be checking the boxes he is looking to check (healthier, stronger, leaner), you may have people from all these backgrounds training non-athlete normals or putting out products.

Since he's working with people who are not self-directed and love training for it's own sake (or they wouldn't need him) it also has to be fun. That may mean some novelty or shtick.

If he's getting his clients reasonable results that are relevant to their goals, and isn't advocating dangerous shit likely to injure them, he's doing his job.

You may think you have a more optimal methodology. Nobody cares.

As for wacky beliefs, nobody cares. People have almost stopped worshiping coaches, particularly those working with non-athlete adults. I didn't care if my dentist believes in The Secret. He's still a good dentist.
Bullshit.

Here's why.

He's Lying. If you have to lie and obfuscate (or in sapdes in SM's case) and you have reveal to the world your massive empty cognitive bias hole...well then, that's a person that very much should be ignored. People who should learn to avoid this shit. Isos? No...SS? Ummm..No...

BW only training? perhaps..might be a great fit dfor some people, but if you caught the actual podcast, you'd have heard JR press him on how his teaching has become myopically adapted to what's in his suitcase, not what's optimal. If you want to bill yourself as the travel trainer..go for it...but don't sluice that doo doo to the gym breaux who needs to drop 20 pounds, get in a run and a squat once a week.

As for your mystical dentist...fuck that noise, he might be a skilled dentist...SM might be a skilled trainer..how would we know? We'd compare one against another. The level of intellect out there in the market (this market specifically) is wide ranging..I can find 4 or 5 people easily reachable that work in that modality (it's basically men's health GPP and or working with grapplers) that are far more qualified by a number of metrics...non of which involves a shtick or a hook. None of which involve working with people who believe in magic. Given the alternative, I like my rationalists to be rational.

If someone like SM is going to show you their ass, well then my son, that's what we call a CLUE that all is not right betwixt the ears. Taking an enormous swing at that low hanging fruit may be pointing out the obvious..apparently not for you because you still see the attraction of working with a substandard charlatan. The same can be said of most of the guru's still plying their tired trade, look for clues and you'll see why there's a smarter, more rewarding alternative that may actually work.

I only beat this dead horse because some of you neighbors are still trying to ride it.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:03 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote: Sure.

Since there's no one right way to train people, especially non-athletes with ambiguous goals, a smart trainer of these people will recognize his own biases and try mitigate them, while always realizing they're there.

Steve comes from a grappling background, and along with the fads he was exposed to over a very long career, those inform his methodology. They are going to be fundamentally different than somebody who spent a lot of time as a gymnast, or a T&F athlete, or a powerlifter. Since the client isn't any of these things, but many of them may be checking the boxes he is looking to check (healthier, stronger, leaner), you may have people from all these backgrounds training non-athlete normals or putting out products.

Since he's working with people who are not self-directed and love training for it's own sake (or they wouldn't need him) it also has to be fun. That may mean some novelty or shtick.

If he's getting his clients reasonable results that are relevant to their goals, and isn't advocating dangerous shit likely to injure them, he's doing his job.

You may think you have a more optimal methodology. Nobody cares.

As for wacky beliefs, nobody cares. People have almost stopped worshiping coaches, particularly those working with non-athlete adults. I didn't care if my dentist believes in The Secret. He's still a good dentist.
Bullshit.

Here's why.

He's Lying. If you have to lie and obfuscate (or in sapdes in SM's case) and you have reveal to the world your massive empty cognitive bias hole...well then, that's a person that very much should be ignored. People who should learn to avoid this shit. Isos? No...SS? Ummm..No...

BW only training? perhaps..might be a great fit dfor some people, but if you caught the actual podcast, you'd have heard JR press him on how his teaching has become myopically adapted to what's in his suitcase, not what's optimal. If you want to bill yourself as the travel trainer..go for it...but don't sluice that doo doo to the gym breaux who needs to drop 20 pounds, get in a run and a squat once a week.

As for your mystical dentist...fuck that noise, he might be a skilled dentist...SM might be a skilled trainer..how would we know? We'd compare one against another. The level of intellect out there in the market (this market specifically) is wide ranging..I can find 4 or 5 people easily reachable that work in that modality (it's basically men's health GPP and or working with grapplers) that are far more qualified by a number of metrics...non of which involves a shtick or a hook. None of which involve working with people who believe in magic. Given the alternative, I like my rationalists to be rational.

If someone like SM is going to show you their ass, well then my son, that's what we call a CLUE that all is not right betwixt the ears. Taking an enormous swing at that low hanging fruit may be pointing out the obvious..apparently not for you because you still see the attraction of working with a substandard charlatan. The same can be said of most of the guru's still plying their tired trade, look for clues and you'll see why there's a smarter, more rewarding alternative that may actually work.

I only beat this dead horse because some of you neighbors are still trying to ride it.
This is 10th grade ad hominem bullshit. It won't do, Clarice.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:18 pm

No son, it's pure rational thought.

Feel free to take up the defense of the indefensible. Just because there are many ways to skin a cat does not mean that some ways are not significantly better than others.

From soreness equates to a "great workout" all the way to the law of attraction....the shit is ripe.

Step away from the nigger hating handbook long enough to review ad hominem. I may have just left you a clue

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:25 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Sangoma wrote:I though the interview was quite good. Sure, certain things I won't agree with, but that's life. Even though they can be irritating as fuck, opinionated people are fun to listen to and make life more interesting. And to be fair Maxwell has more than something to show for his talk, being one of the first black belts in the US, the fact that has trained all his life and being in the shape the majority of his contemporaries (and younger) will be jealous of. One could do worse than isometrics, SuperSlow and (maybe even) astrology.
You could do worse... But not by much.

In order - isometrics are a waste of time as a standalone modality. SMax is still so delusional as to equate a pump and soreness with a great workout. Rubbish.

Super slow, again, roundly debunked, has applications as part* of a larger hypertrophy system and in rehab, as a general RX it's nonsense.

Also Spartans? Circus performers and fake wrestling? Wisdom of the ancients that was lost? GTFO

Remember, just because you're at a point in life where all you need do is mobility and some push-ups does not mean your methods are sound for everyone else. There's a place for a some of this...always integrated into a larger whole. Always in context. The way it's continually presented 90% of this shit belongs on the junk pile of history comrade.

Astrology? GFY. Spreading magical thinking is far worse than functional isos and those are mostly shit.
Fuck's sake, man.
Holy Shit! that right there is funny.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:46 pm

Maxwell loves his fads. This is shit that was heard about him. Note, this is hearsay, and nobody can really verify it, right?

1. Nautilus/Super Slow...honestly, in rehab conditions superslow MIGHT be something you'd use, but maybe not even then. The only decent Nautilus machine in demand nowadays is the lat pull over, and if that doesn't fit you, it's worse than a pull down.

2. Matt Furey's Combat Conditioning...Maxwell loved Furey. Had him to the gym. One of Maxwell's Brown Belts was rolling with him, and started to put Furey into a submission he couldn't escape and Furey hauled off and punched him in the face. Shortly afterwards, the parted company.

3. Greg Ellis' low carb shit diet. Maxwell and some cronies were out to lunch, and they stole all the butter packets in the place and sneeringly ate them while waiting for their hamburger's with no buns...something like 20 each. The guy who observed this just shook his head. -- I wanted to add that they were talking shit about everyone else at this place eating normal food.

4. Kettlebells and Pav-El. Need I say more.

5. Cold water tempering. Maxwell apparently got so sick one winter after doing this outside and getting a chill that his wife, DC, forced him to go to the Emergency room. Pneumonia or some shit.

6. Can we talk about his child rearing? Super high level grappler. Molded to be that way by maxwell. Could not take the stairs in the house, had to climb up the rope to the second story from an early age. I mean, this is kind of awesome, really, because his son's reputedly just a machine on the mat, but admittedly a bit extreme.

7. Isometrics...proven not to work without either full range movements or Dbol.

8. That crazy fucking Eastern European yogi dude.

There's a ton of shit.

But mostly his toolbox is based around fads.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:05 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:No son, it's pure rational thought.

Feel free to take up the defense of the indefensible. Just because there are many ways to skin a cat does not mean that some ways are not significantly better than others.

From soreness equates to a "great workout" all the way to the law of attraction....the shit is ripe.

Step away from the nigger hating handbook long enough to review ad hominem. I may have just left you a clue
So angry.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:08 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Maxwell loves his fads. This is shit that was heard about him. Note, this is hearsay, and nobody can really verify it, right?

1. Nautilus/Super Slow...honestly, in rehab conditions superslow MIGHT be something you'd use, but maybe not even then. The only decent Nautilus machine in demand nowadays is the lat pull over, and if that doesn't fit you, it's worse than a pull down.

2. Matt Furey's Combat Conditioning...Maxwell loved Furey. Had him to the gym. One of Maxwell's Brown Belts was rolling with him, and started to put Furey into a submission he couldn't escape and Furey hauled off and punched him in the face. Shortly afterwards, the parted company.

3. Greg Ellis' low carb shit diet. Maxwell and some cronies were out to lunch, and they stole all the butter packets in the place and sneeringly ate them while waiting for their hamburger's with no buns...something like 20 each. The guy who observed this just shook his head. -- I wanted to add that they were talking shit about everyone else at this place eating normal food.

4. Kettlebells and Pav-El. Need I say more.

5. Cold water tempering. Maxwell apparently got so sick one winter after doing this outside and getting a chill that his wife, DC, forced him to go to the Emergency room. Pneumonia or some shit.

6. Can we talk about his child rearing? Super high level grappler. Molded to be that way by maxwell. Could not take the stairs in the house, had to climb up the rope to the second story from an early age. I mean, this is kind of awesome, really, because his son's reputedly just a machine on the mat, but admittedly a bit extreme.

7. Isometrics...proven not to work without either full range movements or Dbol.

8. That crazy fucking Eastern European yogi dude.

There's a ton of shit.

But mostly his toolbox is based around fads.
Say what you want...he can put out product...

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:46 pm

That picture's not nearly fabulous enough.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:48 pm

I love the picture of Furey where he's showing off his shitty Hummer and wearing stupid chinese pajamas. It's magic.

The dude would NOT make money in this environment...he rode the wave of internet stupidity in for a big pay off. I have seen a huge number of Furey products, and every one of them is fucking garbage.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:50 pm

de fucking light ful
Attachments
hummer-orange1.jpg
hummer-orange1.jpg (51.09 KiB) Viewed 4561 times

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:50 pm

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:52 pm

From Furey to DJ......

IGX's patron Saint Wenceslaus, rider of dead horses.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:52 pm

And I remember Scott Sonnon ragging on Furey for beating a bunch of old men farmers in China in an ankle picking/tripping contest.

He was like 35 and the average competitor age was 55

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:06 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:He's Lying. If you have to lie and obfuscate (or in sapdes in SM's case) and you have reveal to the world your massive empty cognitive bias hole...well then, that's a person that very much should be ignored. People who should learn to avoid this shit. Isos? No...SS? Ummm..No...
Isometrics are bullshit, AFIK. I don't think he's lying. I think he's got some neophilia going on that impacts the last 10% of what he's doing. But that doesn't derail everything, because he's avoiding shit that causes injury or ignores calories.

That being said, I'm influenced by the following:

When I met Steve he was in his early 50's, and he was the fittest guy (this was an RKC and he led workouts) I'd ever met at that age, and the #2 wasn't very close.
He's S&C coached world-class BJJ guys.
He raised a world-class BJJ guy.
He was good at teaching motor retards movement.
He put people back together who were completely fried by day 1 of the RKC with some JM stuff.

I've heard a lot of stories, but that's the first-hand stuff I know is all true. If you think he's simply unqualified to work with non-athletes who want to get leaner and more mobile without getting injured, which is fucking easy, I think your standard for "unqualified" is reminiscent of The Simpson's Comic Book Guy dissecting plot holes in cartoons.
Last edited by Grandpa's Spells on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:07 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:From Furey to DJ......
Are you seriously comparing Dan John to that Furey charlatan? Nigga, please...

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:13 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:From Furey to DJ......
Are you seriously comparing Dan John to that Furey charlatan? Nigga, please...
Shades of Grey...Guru is as Guru does.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:15 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:He's Lying. If you have to lie and obfuscate (or in sapdes in SM's case) and you have reveal to the world your massive empty cognitive bias hole...well then, that's a person that very much should be ignored. People who should learn to avoid this shit. Isos? No...SS? Ummm..No...
Isometrics are bullshit, AFIK. I don't think he's lying. I think he's got some neophilia going on that impacts the last 10% of what he's doing. But that doesn't derail everything, because he's avoiding shit that causes injury or ignores calories.

When I met Steve he was in his early 50's, and he was the fittest guy (this was an RKC and he led workouts) I'd ever met at that age, and the #2 wasn't very close.
He put people back together who were completely fried by day 1 of the RKC with some JM stuff.

I've heard a lot of stories, but that's the first-hand stuff I know is all true. If you think he's simply unqualified to work with non-athletes who want to get leaner and more mobile without getting injured, which is fucking easy, I think your standard for "unqualified" is reminiscent of The Simpson's Comic Book Guy dissecting plot holes in cartoons.

Never said that lad...said there are many who are MORE qualified and better and who don't abuse the guru mantle with astrology and other assorted rubbish.

milosz

Post by milosz » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:40 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote: 6. Can we talk about his child rearing? Super high level grappler. Molded to be that way by maxwell. Could not take the stairs in the house, had to climb up the rope to the second story from an early age. I mean, this is kind of awesome, really, because his son's reputedly just a machine on the mat, but admittedly a bit extreme.
This was the most uncomfortable part of his Rogan appearances - a couple of instances where he talks about how he shouldn't have had kids, just wasn't for him, etc.. Fair enough to understand this about yourself but I'm pretty sure your kids are going to hear the podcast where you talk about how you wish you hadn't had them.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:12 pm

milosz wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: 6. Can we talk about his child rearing? Super high level grappler. Molded to be that way by maxwell. Could not take the stairs in the house, had to climb up the rope to the second story from an early age. I mean, this is kind of awesome, really, because his son's reputedly just a machine on the mat, but admittedly a bit extreme.
This was the most uncomfortable part of his Rogan appearances - a couple of instances where he talks about how he shouldn't have had kids, just wasn't for him, etc.. Fair enough to understand this about yourself but I'm pretty sure your kids are going to hear the podcast where you talk about how you wish you hadn't had them.
Appalling.

I can abide a certain amount of crazy, a lot of eccentric but fucked up parenting?

No play.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:20 am

Grandpa's Spells wrote:

Jeebus, you're on a roll today. 2/2 on LOL.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:15 am

Her elbows are too pointy. Wouldn't. (Insert dancing vid of Kate Upton here)