Steve Maxwell on JRE

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Steve Maxwell on JRE

Post by johno » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:42 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Now I am a little obsessed with PCP.
My single data point indicates it helps you roll relaxed.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:23 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Now I am a little obsessed with PCP.
The Love Boat!

Most of the time Dustheads were fine, its those times they freak that stands out because when they do it's quite a fucking show.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:25 pm

Prolotherapy, not PCP, big puppy.

milosz

Post by milosz » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:56 pm

I turned it off when Maxwell started his power of attraction shit. IT'S SIMPLE PHYSICS MAN.

milosz

Post by milosz » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:58 pm

which may mean I've just become inured to the naturopath stuff he was dropping before. Hard to get to the nuggets among that stuff.

In similar woo territory, Tim Ferriss has a podcast now.

KingSchmaltzBagelHour

Post by KingSchmaltzBagelHour » Fri May 23, 2014 8:50 pm

Maxwell is on again from 5/21 and the wackiness starts early.
Great guest, IMO.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri May 23, 2014 8:56 pm

Yeah, he's funny and an interesting cat.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri May 23, 2014 9:08 pm

I like that dude.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Fri May 23, 2014 9:17 pm

I listen to 1 and 2 on Mike and Sincere's podcast. Enjoyable. Rhonda Patrick has a very narrow focus, but what she knows, she knows well and is published, peer reviewed, worked at St. Jude's Hospital, etc. Good girl.

Although I'm an admitted fanboy,.. I'd love to see Bruno Sammartino, Dan Inosanto, actor William Smith, Cliff Stewart,.. I don't know if he's done Dean Lister,...
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

milosz

Post by milosz » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:59 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaq9kzbFvTU

Thirty seconds in, the reaction to having someone gangsta-grip a pistol into your forehead seems... questionable.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:14 pm

I see the one you are talking about Milosz, yeah, workable, not what we prefer, but workable.

I love Steve. stayed at his place for a few days in 2004. Great artist, great trainer, great guy.

A lot of that clip has some great stuff, some is good and some is so/so. I would not agreee that it's the best system for SD, period. (And I don't think there is a best system just a best system for you.)

A lot of that by "standing" Ju Jutsu was not as tight as it should be. BUT Gracie SD is to us what our groundfighting is to Gracie JJ. They all can work. They are better on the ground and would find us sloppy, we are better at standing SD.

Crosstraining in both, now that's something real cool.

Refer to my old, grammatically fucked essay in the nuggets. The guys who cross camps, are the ones who will develop true American Ju Jutsu.

My boys will be expossed to Judo and Jiu Jitsu as well as our schools blend of Ju Jutsu/ Combatives and Arnis tech and if they want to go beyoned the baselines of training I require of my boys, they will be facilitated and encouraged to crosstrain in BJJ and Judo.

I'd love (but not going to Football Dad push) one or more of my kids to be Yudansha in Ju Jutsu, Judo and Jiu Jitsu. What a Dojo they could run and imagine their students after a few years! :supz:

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:14 pm

*** Double post***

emac437
Sarge

Post by emac437 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:51 pm

DARTH wrote:My boys will be expossed to Judo and Jiu Jitsu as well as our schools blend of Ju Jutsu/ Combatives and Arnis tech and if they want to go beyoned the baselines of training I require of my boys, they will be facilitated and encouraged to crosstrain in BJJ and Judo.

I'd love (but not going to Football Dad push) one or more of my kids to be Yudansha in Ju Jutsu, Judo and Jiu Jitsu. What a Dojo they could run and imagine their students after a few years! :supz:
Also not football dad style but I'm going to make both boys (4 &2) take judo/jiu jitsu for a couple of years. After that I'll leave it to them. Style will mainly be based on what I can find in rural Montana. Locally there is a good wrassling program and I will encourage that as well. Beyond that encourage them to play as many sports as possible. Even rodeo is an option out here, kinda fun. Hilarious story about a famous movie MA star getting the shit knocked out of him by a cowboy over in Ennis.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:11 am

emac437 wrote:Hilarious story about a famous movie MA star getting the shit knocked out of him by a cowboy over in Ennis.
Please, do tell.

emac437
Sarge

Post by emac437 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:24 pm

Meh it's third hand but a certain chubby aikido movie star was in Ennis while filming one of the later low budget movies (not sure which...Patriot?) when he ran his mouth a bit too much to a cowboy in a local pub. Said Aikidoka then got knocked the fuck out by the cowboy. Guy who told me seemed legit, said he was there and it all happened quick. Cowboy left, and ponytail split very quickly, apparently not wanting to alert the local authorities for some reason.

Who knows, maybe he was more prone to getting KO'd after being put to sleep by Judo Gene.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:25 am

More prone to getting KO'd after becoming a fat assed, narcissistic movie star.

The Judo Gene story is the best. My old Sensi LOVED that. Gene was his hero when he started Judo and Ju Jutsu in the early 60s and he hated Segal with a passion.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:33 am

milosz wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaq9kzbFvTU

Thirty seconds in, the reaction to having someone gangsta-grip a pistol into your forehead seems... questionable.
What is interesting to me is that this is not the technique I learned from Relson Gracie for the same position...and he's a Relson black belt. I'd love to talk to him about where he learned all of this, as I know that he has been exposed to the military and law enforcement stuff that Rorion does, which I have not. I'm not saying he made it up, but I wonder why the discrepancy?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:53 am

Fat Cat wrote:
milosz wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaq9kzbFvTU

What is interesting to me is that this is not the technique I learned from Relson Gracie for the same position...and he's a Relson black belt. I'd love to talk to him about where he learned all of this, as I know that he has been exposed to the military and law enforcement stuff that Rorion does, which I have not. I'm not saying he made it up, but I wonder why the discrepancy?
In San Diego, specifically, when I first met Steve at a Pavel workshop,.. he and I spoke about knife strips, etc. I showed him some of my stuff and he showed me the over the shoulder arm bar for knife defense. He said Helio showed him the self defense. I do know he stayed at his house in Brazil for a bit. I'd wonder if there was any difference between Helio and Relson.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:00 am

I can show you all the differences between Helio and Relson in the SD curriculum. I can pretty well imitate either of them. I'm not talking about a difference in a technique WRT to the move Steve shows...it's a completely different technique.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:57 am

Steve has a background beyond BJJ and being around as much as he, he has had to exchanged techniques with others.
He was a Kenpo guy at one time.

When you do so much over the years he might have blended little bits together and might forget a tad where he got something or just felt since he is overall a BJJ gut it's easier to just put it under that umbrella?

It's not bad stuff at all.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:34 pm

johno wrote: I also learned that Steve M. lives out of a small duffel bag. And pulls no punches on xfit or Glassman.*
Maybe he needs a bigger duffel bag.

milosz

Post by milosz » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:54 am

On the show again today, even Rogan was incredulous when he started talking about The Secret and his astrologer.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:24 am

milosz wrote:On the show again today, even Rogan was incredulous when he started talking about The Secret and his astrologer.
You know what you call an apple pie with a quarter teaspoon of dogshit in it?

A shit pie.

Ladies and Gents, I give you Steve Maxwell.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

milosz

Post by milosz » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:35 am

Built a thousand bridges but suck one dick...

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:49 am

milosz wrote:Built a thousand bridges but suck one dick...
You've never built a bridge.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.