Flexibility for kettlebells (Rudnev on strongfirst.com)

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: Flexibility for kettlebells (Rudnev on strongfirst.com)

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:43 pm

So, Rudnev et al have worked with IKFF, OKC, the new org on the East Coast, which I can't remember that Petrunovs runs, and now StrongFirst, whom said, in the very beginning, they weren't going to do kettlebell sport.

Rudnev is a hell of a coach and kettlebell lifter, that's for sure.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:02 pm

Aleks arranged lunch last year between Pavel and Coach Rudnev. That would have been interesting.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:00 am

I've done it today! OH-squat with 2*32 :)) 1 rep only, but it is first time :)
Now "couch stretch" will be my priority in stretching.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:23 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Rudnev seems a recent convert to Crossfit-esque shenanigans, however, it does seem that he's practiced gymnastics based movements for a long time along with his kettlebell lifting. He has a very high strength to weight ratio.
He is not. To the contrary, he is strongly against high intensity/high volume approach and talks about it at every seminar. His presence at their gatherings is simply business (at least some of them bother to learn the proper technique).

He uses the following illustration of planning training. First, he draws the regular see-saw line and says, this is proper cycling of training load, and it looks like an ECG of a healthy person. Next he draws the line with irregular fluctuations, which is supposed to illustrate training according to how you feel on the day. The commentary is that this line looks like an ECG of a sick person. Lastly, a straight line is drawn above the previous two to illustrate training every session at maximum capacity (AKC or Crossfit are not explicitly mentioned). This line looks like the ECG of a dead man.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:08 pm

That's an interesting data point, Smet, but I find it a bit odd, because it's the Soviet research that pointed the way towards the block periodization style, which uses varying loads and intensities as being more efficient.

It works, don't get me wrong, and Rudnev has trained 1000s of young men to the point of CMS with kettlebells at his academy.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:23 pm

I was under the impression that block periodization is suitable for very advanced athletes, mostly because of tight competition schedule. While ordinary guys do fine with traditional cycling - macro/meso/micro. As far as I am aware, block periodization has still not become the staple in training in that part of the world (or any part of the world), with the exception of coaches who like to experiment.

Here is an interesting overview of the classic/block war and criticism: http://www.sportlogia.com/no6engl/eng1.pdf
Criticism of classical periodization is not well founded methodologically and does not match the level of scientific debate about the problem...New periodization ideas are not based on scientific facts and their application in practice is not possible if one wants to achieve a great result at the right time in the most important competition, which is the basic idea of periodization according to classical theory. Thus, block periodization is rather a misconception than a breakthrough in sports training.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:04 pm

Issurin makes a good case.

I am not not certain periodization needs to happen formally in kettlebell sport though.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:44 pm

IMO, Block periodization just happens whenever you add a competition calendar. Whether you name the blocks according to Issurin's little rubric not...it's segmented training and it has more to do with project management than it has to do with Soviet Sport Science.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:51 pm

Smet wrote:...he is strongly against high intensity/high volume approach and talks about it at every seminar...
Hm... #-o all his students who now are coaches advice several sets with very high tempo.
And they claim that this is Rudnev's system.

That two wek program i posted, it is from Rudnev's student.
Other guy was coached online by Khvostov (Rudnev's student). The same (similar) system. High tempo, big volume.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:33 am

A year ago I helped Rudnev with translation at the seminar in Sydney, that's where I heard it. The notion against high volume/high intensity also came up in numerous conversations.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:36 am

Well... maybe seminar for adult liftingforgeneralfitness Australians it is not the same as prepare lifter to competition in Russia #-o
:-"

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:13 am

Ask him yourself, he knows you.

Edit: and yes, you are right, training Russian MS is different from training Aussie amateurs. But then intensity and volume still vary according to the level of the trainee. Another point: I am not generalising, but someone trained by Rydnev is not necessarily as clued up as him in training matters.
Last edited by Sangoma on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:18 am

No, i am liftingforgeneralfitness myself, i don't care :)

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:01 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Rudnev seems a recent convert to Crossfit-esque shenanigans, however, it does seem that he's practiced gymnastics based movements for a long time along with his kettlebell lifting. He has a very high strength to weight ratio.

He just posted on FB that he got 1st place at the Far East of Russia Championship in his age group.
Far East is big territory.
Spoiler: show