What are you built for?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

gist718
Sarge

Re: What are you built for?

Post by gist718 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:07 am

I wish I knew the answer to this question. My best lift in the gym is deadlift, unfortunately it also causes me injuries. I was above average in basketball as a teen but nothing special. I had a table tennis table in my crib, and as bating some adults at a young age.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:26 am

WildGorillaMan wrote:
TomFurman wrote:
WildGorillaMan wrote:
Dunn wrote: Post subject: What are you built for?
I'm still trying to figure that out.
Tree Swinging Traps?

Serious answer: I was built to be a long distance athlete. A case study in Loving All The Wrong Sports.

I'm so Extra-Medium that it hurts. There's this pic that makes the rounds on fitspo social media:

Well, if it was a picture of a unicorn lifting weights with pictures of rhinos on the wall that would sum up my training career.

Here's what I have going for me:

Endurance/Stamina. Both physical and mental. Even as a would-be bitter obese powerlifting my bloodwork is splendid, and I have superhero hematocrit, which probably explains why my cardio fitness is great even though I train it as a side dish rather than a main course.

High tolerance for pain/discomfort. In impromptu gym contests on things like the Hercules or Crucifix Holds, I routinely beat training partners whose limit strength is greater than mine because I can tune out the burning sensations longer.

I'm very slow twitch, and grind limit attempts, but on the plus side I can do a shitload of reps with a high percentage of my pitiful 1rm.

It's taken an embarrassingly long time to quit trying to be something I'm not, and tailor my lifting to suit my strengths rather than running up against this all the time:

I could have written this verbatim.

Instead I'm just quoting it.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:35 am

Apparently, I'm built for almost attaining world domination. Almost being the key word.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:11 am

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Always regret not trying rugby. I like pain and alcohol. Team sports are aggravating though.

I think there's a lot of people with pretty even fiber make up that do equally well in power endurance sports like rugby and full on endurance sports like ultra, rowing, and randoneurring. Even the most fast twitchy human is more wired for endurance than any other animal in our weight class.
Goddam, every time PBP rolls around and I read peoples accounts of the adventure I have to stop myself from tilting at that particular windmill.

Maybe when I've retired I'll tick it of the list. That and a single season thru hike of the AT.
You could totally rock the PBP.....Ive been on and off again frenemies with Jan Heine, publisher of Vintage Bicycle Quarterly and godfather of PNW randonuerring....His training routine for it was pretty modest I thought...he has hella base though.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:33 pm

TerryB wrote:
I could have written this verbatim.

Instead I'm just quoting it.
I think that makes us Eskimo Sisters, or something.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:35 pm

syaigh wrote:Apparently, I'm built for almost attaining world domination. Almost being the key word.
My entire history in every sport since childhood has always been either "terrible" or "good, but not good enough."

Every single report card in Phys Ed always said the same thing every year: "Tries really hard."
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:26 pm

Funny,.. when you look at people.. you think you know what sport they are good at. However it's not even close most the time.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ripe Turd » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:01 pm

Karate.

Unfortunately, I hate the obsession over the ancestors, the knee-destroying-mokuso-in-seiza, and all the OSUUUU all the time.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Ripe Turd wrote:Karate.

Unfortunately, I hate the obsession over the ancestors, the knee-destroying-mokuso-in-seiza, and all the OSUUUU all the time.
Kudo Karate matches impress me. Very thorough methodology.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America