What are you built for?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Re: What are you built for?

Post by TomFurman » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:04 am

Showing up at art shows with hot chicks. I also make good oatmeal.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:11 am

I do pretty ok in powerlifting type things although not the bench so much. I suck at running but I run every day and haven't missed a day in almost 800 days now (I break 800 days next week). The year I turn 50 I would like to do both a powerlifting meet and complete a marathon in under 4 hours. I would like to break the usapl's 50+ deadlift record for a 165 then (which seems doable now we'll have to see what happens in the next 3 years).

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:33 am

I bet that dude would freak the fuck out if that dog pulled a badger out. Fucking hipster cunt

Mickey O'neil wrote:I was waiting for something like this.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:I'm probably best built for gymnastics or wrestling. I was always very athletic and was better than average in most of the sports I played in high school...short and small, but tough and fast. Now it's mountain biking and GS with some basic cals/yoga and strength training thrown in and that's pretty much all I care to do right now. I'm still pretty fast and quick. ;)

What about hunting badgers?

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:48 am

Survival.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:48 am

Nothing
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:52 am

Kirk wrote:I do pretty ok in powerlifting type things although not the bench so much. I suck at running but I run every day and haven't missed a day in almost 800 days now (I break 800 days next week). The year I turn 50 I would like to do both a powerlifting meet and complete a marathon in under 4 hours. I would like to break the usapl's 50+ deadlift record for a 165 then (which seems doable now we'll have to see what happens in the next 3 years).
Whoa! 800 days in a row...

How do you plan your running (distance, time, pace...) to not interfere with the rest of your activities? Don't you need rest days?

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:53 am

SubClaw wrote: Whoa! 800 days in a row...

How do you plan your running (distance, time, pace...) to not interfere with the rest of your activities? Don't you need rest days?
It's all about not overdoing it on any one day and following tougher days with a short, really slow, run. So, for instance, I run 10 miles on sunday and then just 1 or 2 on monday. Most days of the week are easy runs of 3-5 miles. I can do a half marathon in about 9:00/mile pace but do most runs over 2:00/mile slower than that.

The running doesn't impact upper body lifting but squats and running are not happy companions for me. So, I don't put much effort into squat workouts most of the time. Just enough to maintain some strength and muscle. Deadlifts and running don't conflict so much but, even there, I'm not currently putting much effort in. I'm decently built for squats and deadlifts so it doesn't take much for me to keep a reasonable level of strength. Getting stronger or back to a level that I would want to be at to compete is another story. I would probably have to back off the running a fair bit to do that.

cimes
Sgt. Major

Post by cimes » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:28 am

Typing and yelling at people whose first language isn't English. I wonder what my typing speed is now. It was a modest 60wpm, but I am faster on a keyboard. Of course, my late Brother who was self taught could do 120wpm without an error.

I suppose I am built for Pressing more than anything with my shorter arms; doesn't matter if it is bench, military, kb, barbell or dumbbell. Not sure if I got into the bench in terms of competing and worked on competition techniques if that would still be true.

The sport I played growing up that I probably was built ok to do was soccer, and then Rugby briefly in my 30s (I was a prop). I did Ok, but had difficulty with the running. I think had I started Rugby earlier in my 20s and had been in good running shape, I would have made a damn good prop. I was fast and powerful in short bursts.

Of course, I've always done things I wasn't really built to do. Basketball, Shot/Discus, GS, and rowing ;)

CI
"I predict that within the next couple years he will author a Dragon Door book possibly with Pavel called "Return to the Kettlebell"" -Sandman on Rant

terra

Post by terra » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:22 pm

Gymnastics then rockclimbing (short powerful climbs and bouldering)...

Although, lately all I'm built for is renovating a bathroom.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:34 pm

Long torso, 0/2 working copies of alpha-actinin-3 in fast-twitch muscle (23andme) which makes me an "unlikely sprinter" but good for endurance. Family with similar traits are good marathoners, and I had a lot of comeback wins in wrestling.

Bench has never been a strong suit, despite shorter arms, but chins/pullups I had some very good numbers, BWx27, BW+100# x 2 (not at the same time), following crappy training protocols.

That being said, the sport I did best in I wasn't built for, but had good instruction, partners, and wanted to train all the time.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:07 pm

cimes wrote:Typing and yelling at people whose first language isn't English.
CI
Oh I bet you send our friends from Bangalore into a panic!

cimes
Sgt. Major

Post by cimes » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:01 pm

Ha. Well I definitely need work on my diversity. I usually don't start yelling until they give my team members a hard time some of whom are from or currently located in Bangalore, Chennai and Pune. So will get into it with anyone. Sometimes I am a bit short with folks who ask the same questions repeatedly. But I usually feel guilty of course I always answer. One of my contractors referred to me as #fast and furious he also said #knowledge thankfully lol
"I predict that within the next couple years he will author a Dragon Door book possibly with Pavel called "Return to the Kettlebell"" -Sandman on Rant

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:06 pm

Shuttle Run.

All the boys in my high school took the President's Physical Fitness Test in the 8th and 9th grades. Seems like there were five events and you got a percentile score
for each. You received one kind award if you scored above the 50% mark on all events or a higher award if you scored above the 80% mark on all events.

Shuttle Run, 50 yard dash, 600 yard run, softball throw and pull-ups were the events I think. I was well above the 90% mark for the shuttle run, but scraped by
on the 50 yard dash which seem the most similar events of the bunch.

When I was 25 I believe the pull-ups would have been my best event of that group.

Genetics matter the most, but training can make a huge difference in at least some of the events.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

Really Big Strong Guy

Post by Really Big Strong Guy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:00 pm

My body was made for woodchopping and pickings things up. Bout it really. Not fast or tall enough for football; an inability to press anything significant kept me from being good at powerlifting. Likely could have been really good at Olympic lifting had I started earlier. Still have some fight in me too. Took some time away from the iron to let my soul and my body heal up.
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:00 am

I'm built for comfort.

I'm an orgasm machine.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:03 pm

Dunn wrote: Post subject: What are you built for?
I'm still trying to figure that out.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:51 pm

Testiclaw wrote:I'm built for comfort.

I'm an orgasm machine.
Big forearms?
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:58 pm

WildGorillaMan wrote:
Tree Swinging Traps?
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:43 pm

I have seen a picture of a bunch of Olympic athletes showing body types of typical competitors. I look like a decathlete or a rower at 6' 2" and 195#.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:44 pm

TomFurman wrote:
WildGorillaMan wrote:
Tree Swinging Traps?
I just had a vision of Bailey Jay in the jungle.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:57 pm

TomFurman wrote:
WildGorillaMan wrote:
Tree Swinging Traps?

Serious answer: I was built to be a long distance athlete. A case study in Loving All The Wrong Sports.

I'm so Extra-Medium that it hurts. There's this pic that makes the rounds on fitspo social media:

Well, if it was a picture of a unicorn lifting weights with pictures of rhinos on the wall that would sum up my training career.

Here's what I have going for me:

Endurance/Stamina. Both physical and mental. Even as a would-be bitter obese powerlifting my bloodwork is splendid, and I have superhero hematocrit, which probably explains why my cardio fitness is great even though I train it as a side dish rather than a main course.

High tolerance for pain/discomfort. In impromptu gym contests on things like the Hercules or Crucifix Holds, I routinely beat training partners whose limit strength is greater than mine because I can tune out the burning sensations longer.

I'm very slow twitch, and grind limit attempts, but on the plus side I can do a shitload of reps with a high percentage of my pitiful 1rm.

It's taken an embarrassingly long time to quit trying to be something I'm not, and tailor my lifting to suit my strengths rather than running up against this all the time:

You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:11 pm

Always regret not trying rugby. I like pain and alcohol. Team sports are aggravating though.

I think there's a lot of people with pretty even fiber make up that do equally well in power endurance sports like rugby and full on endurance sports like ultra, rowing, and randoneurring. Even the most fast twitchy human is more wired for endurance than any other animal in our weight class.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:18 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Always regret not trying rugby. I like pain and alcohol. Team sports are aggravating though.

I think there's a lot of people with pretty even fiber make up that do equally well in power endurance sports like rugby and full on endurance sports like ultra, rowing, and randoneurring. Even the most fast twitchy human is more wired for endurance than any other animal in our weight class.
You really did miss out. It was by far my favorite, and I regret only playing for three years.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:55 pm

The one thing I always wished I could have tried was the Decathlon. We didn't have it in HS and after that came Vietnam - by then work, kids, and life got in the way.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:30 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Always regret not trying rugby. I like pain and alcohol. Team sports are aggravating though.

Goddam, every time PBP rolls around and I read peoples accounts of the adventure I have to stop myself from tilting at that particular windmill.

Maybe when I've retired I'll tick it of the list. That and a single season thru hike of the AT.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.