People punishning themselves with exercise

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: People punishning themselves with exercise

Post by Bram » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:02 pm

Obviously, there are extremes, but as a personal trainer - many healthy people want to be pushed. If you give those people simple things (sled pushing for example), you can increase their fitness and keep them motivated. Other people hate that stuff and you'll drive them away.

If you're a trainer and someone is telling you what they are looking for, it's a bit foolish business-wise to ignore them.

I used to ignore people a lot more than I do now, I'm much more accommodating which has lead to being busier and happier.
"If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." - Thich Nhat Hanh

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:12 pm

One of my pet peeves is the whole building character through a workout BS.

Working out has been a release and therapy for me for a long time. One of the constants no matter how much things change.

But thinking you or your trainer need to knock yourself into the dirt constantly is counterproductive. Unless you are in a military training program, and i am not that all in on even that, nothing much comes of self destructive behavior.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:28 pm

mike.b wrote:Why do people do this I see it all the time in gyms in parks ,I thought exercise should be energising and make you feel better yet I see it all the time people who apparently are trying to commit suicide by exercise I always wondered this.
Seriously, go ask them. They'd probably appreciate talking about it.
Don’t believe everything you think.

ccrow
Gunny

Post by ccrow » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:27 am

Did it say anything about people that punish themselves with exercise forums?

Redemption through suffering, it is an essential notion to us papists.
But when I stand in front of the mirror and really look, I wonder: What the fuck happened here? Jesus Christ. What a beating!

ccrow
Gunny

Post by ccrow » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:53 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:I'm reading an interesting book right now called The Body Keeps Score and finished another one called Trauma releasing Exercises. The central idea behind both of this is that one of the quickest and most direct routes to addressing what we think of as psychological trauma is through rigorous/exhaustive physical activity ... perhaps that's more effective than therapy. I see this as a good thing.

If I am guessing right, what they are talking about has nothing to do with generally normal people that say their gym time keeps them sane, those are usually people that just need a little me-time to manage stress and keep their spirits up.

I will say that I have seen a lot of fairly damaged people that turn to exercise in a compulsive way, self-flagellation is a good way to put it. I guess it is a lot less damaging than some other ways you could go. (Although for a lot of them it isn't their only compulsion...) But it's not really anything that resolves their issues. Maybe it can play a role, but in my experience, the actual therapy is a MUCH safer bet. ns,js
But when I stand in front of the mirror and really look, I wonder: What the fuck happened here? Jesus Christ. What a beating!

mike.b
Staff Sergeant

Post by mike.b » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:59 am

Me..I like to enjoy exercise. If something is very hard and I have to dig deep to get it done I'd better be paid for it or I'm not doing it.

What they do is like eating a tasty meal with a look of disgust on your face...

Exercise will not make you hardcore, a better man, tougher more dangerous or whatever ....one day I'll stop them and give them some weed it will do them more good than what they are doing: -Douche you need to smoke some get laid and then come back to exercise!

Boris

Post by Boris » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:34 pm

I hold no delusions about what I'm doing in the gym. Not as bad as some, way worse than others.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:53 pm

Kind of ironic with the Dirt Diva thread going on over in the FSF. She's a case study for this.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:38 pm

ccrow wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:I'm reading an interesting book right now called The Body Keeps Score and finished another one called Trauma releasing Exercises. The central idea behind both of this is that one of the quickest and most direct routes to addressing what we think of as psychological trauma is through rigorous/exhaustive physical activity ... perhaps that's more effective than therapy. I see this as a good thing.

If I am guessing right, what they are talking about has nothing to do with generally normal people that say their gym time keeps them sane, those are usually people that just need a little me-time to manage stress and keep their spirits up.

I will say that I have seen a lot of fairly damaged people that turn to exercise in a compulsive way, self-flagellation is a good way to put it. I guess it is a lot less damaging than some other ways you could go. (Although for a lot of them it isn't their only compulsion...) But it's not really anything that resolves their issues. Maybe it can play a role, but in my experience, the actual therapy is a MUCH safer bet. ns,js
Yes and no. First book yes, second book No....But I take your point. What I'm saying is that whether the issues are deeply profound or minor, the chemical mechanisms in play are the same. We all think we know why we pursue things but my suspicion is that 99% are completely oblivious to what's really motivating certain behaviors. Further, since we are all similarly oblivious, I'd like to try to err on the side of being neutral as possible when looking at these behaviors whether it's the Brown belt in BJJ pursuing technical excellence or overwrought social worker abusing herself on the elliptical trainer. I think all these primates have more in common than they have differences.

Where is gets complicated is when you have someone who's coming for advice and you take the customer is always right approach as opposed to giving them the benefit of your expertise. It's a position of low integrity to have someone come to you for advice and to just tell them what they want to hear, especially when you spend your whole practice developing a better way. You gotta be smarter than the cattle you're herding.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:31 pm

nafod wrote:Kind of ironic with the Dirt Diva thread going on over in the FSF. She's a case study for this.
You shut your filthy mouth!
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:20 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
ccrow wrote:

Yes and no. First book yes, second book No....But I take your point. What I'm saying is that whether the issues are deeply profound or minor, the chemical mechanisms in play are the same. We all think we know why we pursue things but my suspicion is that 99% are completely oblivious to what's really motivating certain behaviors. Further, since we are all similarly oblivious, I'd like to try to err on the side of being neutral as possible when looking at these behaviors whether it's the Brown belt in BJJ pursuing technical excellence or overwrought social worker abusing herself on the elliptical trainer. I think all these primates have more in common than they have differences.

Where is gets complicated is when you have someone who's coming for advice and you take the customer is always right approach as opposed to giving them the benefit of your expertise. It's a position of low integrity to have someone come to you for advice and to just tell them what they want to hear, especially when you spend your whole practice developing a better way. You gotta be smarter than the cattle you're herding.
Well I sure as fuck can attest to the fact that I'm a bit nutty when it comes to physical activity.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:16 am

A couple family members talked to me today about their new exercise regimen.

They are doing some group flagellation ritual that is valued for how hard it is during the 20 minutes that they do it.

The difficulty was discussed with eyebrows raised as if to express how serious the whole endeavour is.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"