Had shoulder surgery -- how do I avoid screwing it up again?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Tirofijo
Sarge

Had shoulder surgery -- how do I avoid screwing it up again?

Post by Tirofijo » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:26 pm

I had distal clavicle osteolysis, and about six weeks ago had a centimeter of my clavicle shaved off to fix it. (Mumford Procedure.)

(There was a little drama on the diagnosis. I had gotten a few cortisone shots before bucking down and setting a date for the surgery. One orthopedist ordered an MRI and saw I had a SLAP tear and wanted to fix it. Got a second opinion, and the second doc said my SLAP tear was asymptomatic and my pain was related to the osteolysis. He said SLAP tear surgery is overprescribed these days- for example, a study of healthy MLB pitchers showed about half of them have SLAP tears without pain or days on the DL. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23775245 He said there's no way he would do a SLAP repair on me. Naturally I went with the second doc.)

Surgery went well and recovery has been easy, but I don't want to take any chances with my shoulders going forward. When ready I'd like to start the "Tactical Barbell" template which is your basic bench/OHP/Dead/squat.

But, I thought I might substitute incline dumbell presses for the bench, since I've read that's easier on the shoulder.

As far as the overhead press, I'm not sure. I know Cressey is down on overhead presses, and a friend that had rotator cuff surgery was told by his switch-on therapist to just forget about overhead presses for the rest of his life and do arm raises.

42 y/o. Law enforcement/Weekend warrior.

Any thoughts on avoiding bench/OHP for possibly jacked up shoulders?

Thanks

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: Had shoulder surgery -- how do I avoid screwing it up again?

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:42 am

Probably both. How did your shoulder get messed up in the first place?

mike.b
Staff Sergeant

Post by mike.b » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:12 am

No barbell presses of any type.
Do all the presses with dumbbells or football/swiss bar or kettlebells. No regular chin-ups/pull-ups do rings or parallel grip .

stanley_white
Gunny

Post by stanley_white » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:30 pm

mike.b wrote:No barbell presses of any type.
Do all the presses with dumbbells or football/swiss bar or kettlebells. No regular chin-ups/pull-ups do rings or parallel grip .
I am finding this to be good myself as my long-head bicep tendon still annoys me once every six months or so.

Note I have not had shoulder surgery.

-Stan

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:59 pm

See if pressing underhand,.. like reverse grip feels better. Even on a Hammer Machine or with dumbbells.
Do some Samoan handcuffing drills from my book on Amazon. [hint, hint]

From Coach Sommer. [transcript notes from BJJ Caveman Podcast]

Best Exercise For Shoulders: Weighted Dislocates
Weighted dislocates are best bang for the buck as a single exercise to build shoulder strength, mobility, and mass
Coach uses these in both warm up and cool down phases.
In some people with extreme shoulder mobility (frequently in women), but only partial range of strength. This deficit increases their chance of injury!
Dislocates using a dowel – grab it double shoulder width and rotate it over the head back to the hip and then back to the top. Coach has found that adding load, 2-3 kg on the bar. Slow controlled 5 second reps.
Over time, period of months, will bring the hands in so they can get just a hands width out of shoulder width. Once they can do that, bring the hands out again and increase the load. This is THE BEST shoulder exercise bar none.
Coach sometimes does dislocates with a supinated grip
The weights in the weighted dislocates are used to help stretch connective tissue and muscle, and build strength at the same time
There should be no pain, clicking, or grinding when doing shoulder dislocates. Slide grip out as wide as needed for shoulder to pivot smoothly. Start with minimum of 2-3 lbs. The muscles need to be loaded and active. Gradually over time work the grip in so that the hands are ultimately just one hands width outside of the shoulder. Do this for as long as it takes. We are not in a hurry. If it take a couple weeks great. If it takes a couple months, no problem.
Once hands are at ideal position, one hand width outside of shoulder and can pivot smoothly with no grinding or clicking, and no changing in posture. Once we are at this point, then add some weight, and then slide the hands out wide again to reset.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:21 pm

If you choose to bench, and you don't need to, learn to bench to your sternum or lower and bench to either a board or a phone book.Lots of full rom BP not great for shoulders after 30.

And always more rowing and pulldown reps than press reps.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

rjudo
Gunny

Post by rjudo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:53 pm

Floor press, for me solved all my shoulder issues from bench pressing, YMMV.
food is medicine. that's why i'm drinking dr. pepper.

Tirofijo
Sarge

Post by Tirofijo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:55 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Probably both. How did your shoulder get messed up in the first place?
Not known how it happened. It's sometimes called "weightlifter's shoulder" though I'm less of a lifter than most of the people on this board. I've been lifting off and on for 25 years but I don't move a lot of weight and don't have a lot to show for it. Safe to say it was overuse, but I don't know why I got it and others don't. There's higher than normal rate of occurrence among sheet rockers, for what that's worth.

My shoulders had clicked for years. My fixed shoulder no longer clicks now that the clavicle was shortened.

PL54 - suggestion noted about board presses and doing more pulling than pushing. What's your take on dumbbell presses or dumbbell incline presses? Or maybe better yet, floor dumbbell presses (which might be the best of both worlds)? (rjudo-saw your post about floor presses after I wrote this.)

Thanks all.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:49 pm

Tirofijo wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Probably both. How did your shoulder get messed up in the first place?
Not known how it happened. It's sometimes called "weightlifter's shoulder" though I'm less of a lifter than most of the people on this board. I've been lifting off and on for 25 years but I don't move a lot of weight and don't have a lot to show for it. Safe to say it was overuse, but I don't know why I got it and others don't. There's higher than normal rate of occurrence among sheet rockers, for what that's worth.

My shoulders had clicked for years. My fixed shoulder no longer clicks now that the clavicle was shortened.

PL54 - suggestion noted about board presses and doing more pulling than pushing. What's your take on dumbbell presses or dumbbell incline presses? Or maybe better yet, floor dumbbell presses (which might be the best of both worlds)? (rjudo-saw your post about floor presses after I wrote this.)

Thanks all.
Personally not a fan of DBBP for both ROM endangerment issues i talked about and safety factor. When you get above 100lbs on the DBs you have to have a VERY trusted handoff or help. Reading the BB magazines about getting a full stretch on this movement makes me cringe. Another rant another time.

On the other hand have used and really like DB floor press because of shortened ROM. Found that for me best rehab of pec issues was DB floor press for sets of 20+. Still need a handoff above 100s but far safer and more foolproof.

One DB press i like is on a bench but done one handed. Have to use less weight, way better tendency to stay in lower BP groove, no heavy overstretch of shoulder girdle, and really shows stabilization issues.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:25 pm

I think dislocates are mostly meh.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:36 pm

All I know is there is this dumb bitch at one of the gyms I train with. Anyway, she tore her labrum, had surgery, and increased her range of motion way to soon, ie, didn't build the subsequent strength to support it. Ended up having another surgery.

Do your PT. Always be looking to improve things. Conservatively.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.