WHO to ban red meat

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: WHO to ban red meat

Post by Sangoma » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:47 am

Everything we eat causes cancer…sort of
First, he noted that for 80% of the ingredients his methodology identified there was at least one study examining its cancer risk. That’s forty ingredients, which he helpfully lists: veal, salt, pepper spice, flour, egg, bread, pork, butter, tomato, lemon, duck, onion, celery, carrot, parsley, mace, sherry, olive, mushroom, tripe, milk, cheese, coffee, bacon, sugar, lobster, potato, beef, lamb, mustard, nuts, wine, peas, corn, cinnamon, cayenne, orange, tea, rum, and raisin. He also notes that these ingredients represent many of the most common sources of vitamins and nutrients in a typical US diet. In contrast, the ten ingredients for which no study was identified tended to be less common: bay leaf, cloves, thyme, vanilla, hickory, molasses, almonds, baking soda, ginger, and terrapin. One wonders how almonds aren’t considered under nuts, but that’s just me being pedantic.
In other words, there are lots of studies out there that claim to find a link, either for increased risk or a protective effect, between this food or that ingredient and cancer, but very few of them actually provide convincing support for their hypothesis. Worse, there appear to be a lot of manuscript-writing shenanigans going on, with the abstract (which usually means, I note, the press release) touting a strong association while the true weakness of the association is buried in the fine print in the results or discussion sections of the paper. Given that most scientists tend not to read each and every word of a paper unless they’re very interested in it or it’s highly relevant to their research, this deceptive practice can leave a false impression that the reported association is stronger than it really is.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:48 am

Associations vs. causations, but I just couldn't be bothered.

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:48 pm

Doctor to me yesterday: "Only the newest doctors claim to know the outcomes with certainty. The longer we do this, the more we tell patients we don't know what will happen."

The Red Meat Scare along with The Sitting Scare just doesn't bother a hypochondriac like me.

theoverman
Sarge

Post by theoverman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:05 pm

Luke wrote:Doctor to me yesterday: "Only the newest doctors claim to know the outcomes with certainty. The longer we do this, the more we tell patients we don't know what will happen."

The Red Meat Scare along with The Sitting Scare just doesn't bother a hypochondriac like me.
This is how they talk like in economics. We don't got enough data points to really judge how things will wind up. Global population has doubled in 50 years or something. These rates of diseases have only been recorded in the western world for a few generations. Shit pisses me off so much.
riff raff fanclub president

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:44 pm

WildGorillaMan wrote:Image
Inappropriate use of the meme.

Too much text reduces the power of the image.

2/10
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:32 pm

The sad thing is that WHO does a lot of worthwhile shit every day that nobody cares about (like treating and vaccinating against polio, cholera, and dengue fever-- life saving stuff), but only get attention for studies like this.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:34 pm

What happens now to Shape's mom?

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:12 pm

Are these the same idiots who said you can't advertise that water is hydrating in the EU?
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"