Veganism -- just double checking

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Re: Veganism -- just double checking

Post by Ryan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:57 am

Then there's this:

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

milosz

Post by milosz » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:43 pm

Vegan I was dating got me to try Beyond Meat. Complete ass - the flavor and texture don't compare to the real thing.

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:33 am

Never had it and don't know that I would.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:10 am

I've been thinking a bit more about this lately, and a podcast by Josh Hinds sorta hit at exactly where I'm falling. Eat plant BASED, with the focus on whole foods. Fits in pretty much in line with Pollan's advise of "eat food, mostly plants, not too much". Basics is ~90% of what I east is plants. Whole foods like roasted veggies, salads, sweet potatoes, etc. Quinoa, millet, rice kinds of shit to round it out.

That last 10% is where the freedom comes in. I like eggs for breakfast, so they stay. I can have a desert when I want. If I go out to eat or over to a friends house and they don't make the perfect vegetarian meal I don't have to make an ass of myself. I just eat whatever they fixed and call it good. It's a long term way of eating and not a goddam religion.

The only thing I'm looking to change is the shake I have as a mid afternoon snack. It's currently 2 scoops of whey. I'd like to get some veggie based protein powder to use instead, but all the goo roos have a vested interest in what they recommend. Any suggestions?
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:51 am

syaigh wrote:
Protobuilder wrote:
syaigh wrote:BUT, I can't get away from the fact that most vegans I know continue to look more and more frail and unhealthy.
Bullshit unless you have a vegan alert app that lets you know who is eating what as you walk down the street.

Vegans I know asshole. That means I know them and know that they are vegans. And have been for years if not decades.
Hey! You can't talk to Protobuilder like that! He's an esteemed founding member of this board and several other semi-related health and men's fitness foums!
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Ericc
Sgt. Major

Post by Ericc » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:25 pm

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:I've been thinking a bit more about this lately, and a podcast by Josh Hinds sorta hit at exactly where I'm falling. Eat plant BASED, with the focus on whole foods. Fits in pretty much in line with Pollan's advise of "eat food, mostly plants, not too much". Basics is ~90% of what I east is plants. Whole foods like roasted veggies, salads, sweet potatoes, etc. Quinoa, millet, rice kinds of shit to round it out.

That last 10% is where the freedom comes in. I like eggs for breakfast, so they stay. I can have a desert when I want. If I go out to eat or over to a friends house and they don't make the perfect vegetarian meal I don't have to make an ass of myself. I just eat whatever they fixed and call it good. It's a long term way of eating and not a goddam religion.

The only thing I'm looking to change is the shake I have as a mid afternoon snack. It's currently 2 scoops of whey. I'd like to get some veggie based protein powder to use instead, but all the goo roos have a vested interest in what they recommend. Any suggestions?
Mike Mahler used to recommend pea protein which is fairly inexpensive and The Vitamin Shoppe has it in stock. Brandon Braziers Vega protein shake is a great option (but more expensive) and has a mixture of plant proteins and if money weren't an option that's the one I would go for.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:11 pm

What about hemp protein?
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:59 pm

The only type I wouldn't use is soy (personal preference). I have heard good things about rice, pea and hemp, but have never tried them and doubt I will since I rarely use protein powder anymore.
Last edited by Ryan on Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ericc
Sgt. Major

Post by Ericc » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:20 am

Holland Oates wrote:What about hemp protein?
Good option too and I believe it may be included in the Vega blend

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:58 am

-

milosz

Post by milosz » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:40 am

Hemp protein can also net you a metric fuckton of fiber.

milosz

Post by milosz » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:43 am

Anyone tried raw vegan for a time? Thinking about doing it for February (three important birthdays in January) to see if I can survive and not kill anyone.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:01 am

milosz wrote:Anyone tried raw vegan for a time? Thinking about doing it for February (three important birthdays in January) to see if I can survive and not kill anyone.
Like as a WOD?

ELEET FIREBREATHER eats raw fruits and veggies AMRAP for time!
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

milosz

Post by milosz » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:56 am

(a time)

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:26 am

Pea Protein is fucking vile. Probably the only thing I've ever eaten that made me throw up.

My wife's dad is a raw vegan. It's not a healthy lifestyle, in more ways than one. He lost a huge amount of weight, but is becoming more and more sickly looking and after the initial energy gain is actually steadily losing energy now. He's been doing it for several years.

He's also batshit crazy.

Those of you looking to try it, what's your drive? Can't you just eat a bit more moderately?

ken
Private

Post by ken » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:08 am

Protobuilder wrote:
ken wrote:So... probably no pure vegan Indigenous tribe, but a significant portion who eat very few animal products.

Protobuilder, could you go through the pros and cons as you experienced them?
Sorry, don't check in here that much any more.

Personal experience, no spin?

It used to not matter what I ate. I took nutrition classes in college and grad school and, honestly, I didn't notice that much difference from what I ate on a day-to-day basis. When I was young, I was a trash compactor and energy was energy. As I've gotten older, that's really changed and I notice changes from slight variations nowadays.

The greatest weight gain I ever experienced included meat in my diet 3-4 times per week. Of course, I was much younger then and the training volume probably had a bit to do with this but, still, meat was included, mostly chicken. Very little red meat, if any at all.

The greatest strength gain was from a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet. Weight gain was probably equal to what I mentioned in previous paragraph but I was near ten years older, working full time, etc, etc, etc. Lots more veggies in my diet. Basically, shakes and veggies.

The best energy came from a vegan diet. I wasn't 'doing it for the animals' and I felt great. Good digestion, high energy, simply feel great. Perhaps this is why vegans are so damn annoying.

The best sustained energy has come from a higher fat version of a vegetarian diet. You feel like shit some of the time but can go all day (literally) without food if need be.

Specifically related to veganism, the primary pros would come from energy, as noted above, and a feeling of general well-being. I didn't need caffeine, digestion was perfect, felt few aches and pains and weight was easy to maintain. The primary cons for me were the social element (fantastic vegan restaurants do exist but you don't want to be 'that guy' when people from the office are planning an evening out) and, far more seriously, tooth decay. I went years without any real dental problems but 18 months on a high carb (fruit-based) vegan diet left me with enough cavities and general tooth problems that I was a regular fixture in the dentist office for a near half year. The other drawback is you NEED sustained energy. If you are doing a sustained endurance event, you have to have enough gels and drinks tucked away or you are never going to finish. Pure burning of sugar. If I could work out a high fat vegan diet that didn't simply involve drinking oils, I would probably eat that way. Noted that I didn't try to gain on a vegan diet but believe it would have been rather difficult to do so.
Thanks for the candid feedback, It certainly matches my experience.
Beer Jew wrote:Those of you looking to try it, what's your drive?
Mainly the feeling better and having less aches an pains a proto said. but a few others too;
Also not feeling the need to eat a metricfuckton of protein
There is the appetite thing. I have a huge appetite, so could easily be 230lbs vegan and close to 300lbs non-veg
Financial and time, Now most disagree, but I found that getting top quality vegetarian food to be quicker and cheaper where I live.

Over time though I have gradually incorporated more and more non-veg foods ,eggs, yogurt, cheese, grass fed free range beef and lamb(once a month as the wife cooks it). I never gave up fish, but getting fresh fish here is time consuming so don't eat it that much, mostly canned sardines and salmon.

I don't trust my wife to do the shopping so hence the time issue, I'm generally limited to one cheap supermarket.
And a kilo of lentils/beans is a lot cheaper than a kilo of beef.
Cheep and easy animal proteins like chicken and pork here are so poor quality I would not include it in any ones diet

Then there is Ilya Ilyin who put up a world record last weekend being vegetarian

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:19 am

Maybe the sweet spot would be eating mostly vegetarian,say 60%, and reducing the flesh (mostly fish) intake to a mere 40%.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:36 pm

Vegetarian and raw vegan are very different things.

ken
Private

Post by ken » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:40 pm

Facepalm the Mediterranean diet. Fish can be crap too, eg tuna or tilapia.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:43 pm

Al, do you have a link to that Hinds podcast?
Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:I've been thinking a bit more about this lately, and a podcast by Josh Hinds sorta hit at exactly where I'm falling. Eat plant BASED, with the focus on whole foods. Fits in pretty much in line with Pollan's advise of "eat food, mostly plants, not too much". Basics is ~90% of what I east is plants. Whole foods like roasted veggies, salads, sweet potatoes, etc. Quinoa, millet, rice kinds of shit to round it out.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:46 pm

I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:05 pm

Thanks, Al!

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:26 am

Beer Jew wrote:Vegetarian and raw vegan are very different things.
Thanks, Einstein.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:29 am

milosz wrote:Anyone tried raw vegan for a time? Thinking about doing it for February (three important birthdays in January) to see if I can survive and not kill anyone.
When I was eating a ton of fruit, I ate raw until my evening meal. The evening meal was primarily because of social conventions.

I wouldn't be able to do it for long periods at a time and it requires some planning but would be entirely doable for a month. You would feel great in the initial few weeks.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.