Squatting for reps

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Squatting for reps

Post by powerlifter54 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:42 pm

This is not all cut and dried. Raw i like chains in all three lifts and the GM, but as BD suggested just add a pair of chains and do a set. Did it both as speed work and RM work.

Bands are great in the geared squat, but like most other things they pushed it too far at WSB. Band DE day became Band CM ME days. Not bad but a wholly different recovery profile than the classic WSB DE/ME days in the same week. Bands without at least briefs or a loose suit is a hip killer. No matter what band setup i tried on the bench, with any moderate level of band tension at the bottom, my shoulders and pecs got beat up. Doubled Minis, bands choked to DBs and the bench, no matter what doing bands raw in the bench is tough on your soft tissue. i did use and preferred the old Larry Miller setup where you connected two heavier bands and ran it under bench and up over bar sleeves outside plates and that was pretty good with little tension at bottom and a ton at the top. Still YMMV. Never played with lightened method on SQ/BP but friends who lift both raw and equipped on and off the sauce like it.

Never found any DL band work i liked. My low back is easily worn out so lightened method DL was fun but took a month to recover from.

On the BP i long ago started using a shirt 2-3 sizes too big to get speed work in i did speed work with around 400 at the top so got in the shirt and did speed work with a loose shirt and 405. That time really taught me how to tweak a shirt. Same shirt i could touch 315 and not be able to touch 405 depending on arm twist, collar height, belt tightness, wetness, and recent washing.

DL i found deficit DLs, sometimes with chains, and 80-85% partials from plinths worked the best. Bands did nada.

Disclaimer: pretty sure i could train somewhere with somebody who could show me things that worked that are not included here or i mentioned negatively but with a tweak would work for me.

This ain't Science, it is Art.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

cleaner464
Sgt. Major

Post by cleaner464 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:08 am

Beer Jew wrote:Very impressive lifts Cleaner. Those are pretty much my long term goals, although I wouldn't mind squatting and deadlifting 660 :)

Would you mind talking a bit about your training philosophy/methods when you were powerlifting?
Sorry that it took me so long to get back to you. I was laid low again.

What would you like to know? I had a different approach than most for my PL training(my coach was a madman) while my OL routines were very orthodox.
“Attached hereto is a copy of Mr. Trump’s birth certificate, demonstrating that he is the son of Fred Trump, not an orangutan,”

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:01 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Sangoma wrote:This is similar to Escalated Density Training templates for Girevoy Sport: from 10 x 1 minute to 1 x 10 minute set with the same weight. Works.
Interesting... Could you explain the program a bit more?
Going through this thread I noticed that I missed this question. Here is the link for Russian EDT, if you're still interested:

Thoughts on Russian EDT

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:52 pm

Sangoma wrote:
SubClaw wrote:
Sangoma wrote:This is similar to Escalated Density Training templates for Girevoy Sport: from 10 x 1 minute to 1 x 10 minute set with the same weight. Works.
Interesting... Could you explain the program a bit more?
Going through this thread I noticed that I missed this question. Here is the link for Russian EDT, if you're still interested:

Thoughts on Russian EDT
Thanks, Smet.

By the way, why have you ditched GS? Injuries, boredom...?

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:36 am

An official excuse - my lower back doesn't like high volume snatching. But mostly laziness: 10 minute sets are too bloody long. I also enjoy lifting more than endurance activities.