TRX routine for the older gentleman

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

terra

TRX routine for the older gentleman

Post by terra » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:03 am

A family member received a TRX as part of his Xmas gift (yoga classes being the other part).
This guy is 70+ years old, a farmer and skier. But he was a little concerned Looking at the prescribed workouts...

Do you blokes know of any 'beginner' routines or a source for routines that would suit an older gent for general maintenance of mobility, core stabilities etc.

Thanks all.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Re: TRX routine for the older gentleman

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:27 am

Really all he needs to do is modify the workout to make it suitable to him. Make the resistance appropriate, cut reps/time from exercises, sub in more basic versions of movements. TRX is easy to adapt to your needs.

Look through the TRX website at their videos. There are some routines that are mobility and flexibility based that might be a good place to start. Also a ton for free stuff on the youtubes. Just search for TRX beginner routine and a bunch pop up. Can't vouch for the quality so it's best to screen them ahead so you know what you're getting into.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:30 pm

terra wrote:A family member received a TRX as part of his Xmas gift (yoga classes being the other part).
This guy is 70+ years old, a farmer and skier. But he was a little concerned Looking at the prescribed workouts...

Do you blokes know of any 'beginner' routines or a source for routines that would suit an older gent for general maintenance of mobility, core stabilities etc.

Thanks all.
I would do this:

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:29 pm

Yes. Photos of Robin's butt helps.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:31 pm

In reality.. I have variations of everything in Armor of War, explained in the FAQ ebook. It's a matter of angles, leverage, etc. Not rocket science. If he's a skier.. he's got good balance and legs.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:11 pm

TomFurman wrote:In reality.. I have variations of everything in Armor of War, explained in the FAQ ebook. It's a matter of angles, leverage, etc. Not rocket science. If he's a skier.. he's got good balance and legs.
Yes, but it might appear somewhat daunting to the newbie senior. I would buy him AoW next year, when he's more than familiar with your other book. Just my 0.02.

terra

Post by terra » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:48 pm

Thanks for the replies. All good info.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:23 pm

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:Really all he needs to do is modify the workout to make it suitable to him.
It's not easy to believe you disperse this kind of advice for free.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:03 pm

My paypal account runneth over.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Danny John
Gunny

Post by Danny John » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:25 pm

Big body stretches and assisted squats are great with TRX. It's a central part of our training for everybody. Just by moving the feet you can add or drop load. If someone comes up with a program for yoga with TRX they could do well. For strength, the Ts and the Ys and the rows, both two and one hand, are great. Other than that, you won't find many things really "better," but the rows and all are so good, we have dropped a lot of things. So, those are the big rocks, I think.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:43 pm

I'm confused. Why wasn't he given a barbell set and pictures of Bill Kazmaier? It's not too late.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"