Resistance band recommendations

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

davidc
Sgt. Major

Resistance band recommendations

Post by davidc » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:47 pm

What brand of resistance bands do you recommend for face pulls, pull aparts, etc for bench press prehab/rehab? About to order some and thought I might as well get some good ones
Thanks

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: Resistance band recommendations

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:36 pm

davidc wrote:What brand of resistance bands do you recommend for face pulls, pull aparts, etc for bench press prehab/rehab? About to order some and thought I might as well get some good ones
Thanks

We use the ELITEfts branded ones. The hold up pretty well given the rugged conditions. I have use the ironwoody brand ones as well. Both brands need to be kept out of direct sunlght as much as possible. UV radiation will kill them.

Minis, micro minis and medium are the most useful sizes IME.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:30 pm

Micro, mini, and light.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:16 pm

Thanks guys

Danny John
Gunny

Post by Danny John » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:55 pm

I pick up a handful of the minis every year at Perform Better as we seem to go through them quickly. On the big bands, I have Sorinex and a company from Austria (Intelligent Strength) but we seem to really run hot and cold on using them. (I do use those BFS chains for a lot of barbell work, but I don't trust bands on barbells...others can have different experiences).

The big ones are like 100 pound plates in a way: it was a really good idea to get them, but we don't really use them. Those lateral walks with the mini bands around the ankles are a great complement to any kind of glute training. As a total hip replacement veteran, I wish I would have done these a few decades ago as they seem to really work well. We do a hip thrust (Bret's machine), swing, goblet squat, mini-band walk and farmer carry series that seems to take care of a lot of issues.

I wish I could just hand you a few for you to try them out. The minis are so cheap that you won't worry too much if you don't use them forever. Mike uses a very thin Sorinex band for all of his shoulder and triceps work; he folds it an loops it to do just about anything.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:42 pm

The Jumpstretch bands I bought from Hartzell were of good quality, but I think Hartzell has changed manufacturers a few times over the years. The Rage bands that I have gotten at Dick's were of decent quality.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:57 pm

The small ones are so cheap, jsut get them from elite during a sale.

Or a pack from wildwoody or whatever that place is called. That's what I did.

Very few people really need the big bands unless you're really into conjugate method for equipped lifting or you're a very strong raw lifter (meaning, 800+ squat), and nobody here is except for me.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Boris

Post by Boris » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:21 pm

http://www.elitefts.com/shop/bars-weights/bands.html

Pro mini, pro micro, pro monster mini.

I think now (and I mentioned this in another thread recently) that all that band work I used to do for squatting and bench would have been served just as well or better w. more weight + mini bands.

These days, I (and my swimmers) use these mostly for band pull-aparts, tricep work, and stretches, but there are a bazillion uses.

edit: btw, I used to use the Jump Stretch bands, but since elitefts started selling their own I switched. I should probably keep buying Dick Hartzell's just to support the guy but I've been a Dave Tate fan as long as I've been a Dick Hartzell fan so yeah...

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:26 pm

It's a shame it isn't easier to set up reverse bands. Having fooled around a lot with chains, bands, reverse bands etc..the best set up for mortals on overloading the main powerlift movements are doubled mini's suspended in a power rack. Reverse band work gets a lot of shit from people who have zero fucking clue about the underlying principles. It works great for deload weeks, frequent deadlifting from the floor instead of blocks or pin pulls and best of all overloaded down sets.

a squat session from my log would be work sets of
405x5
445x5

reverse bands (removes about 80-100 pounds in the hole)
505x10
530x8
545x5

(yeah yeah...the rep order is fucked but this was a work capacity cycle, not building on maxes)

Could write a small booklet on this alone that I think is preferable for raw lifters and actual athletes.

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:53 pm

Got some elitefts on the way.
Thanks again everybody

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:05 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:It's a shame it isn't easier to set up reverse bands. Having fooled around a lot with chains, bands, reverse bands etc..the best set up for mortals on overloading the main powerlift movements are doubled mini's suspended in a power rack. Reverse band work gets a lot of shit from people who have zero fucking clue about the underlying principles. It works great for deload weeks, frequent deadlifting from the floor instead of blocks or pin pulls and best of all overloaded down sets.

a squat session from my log would be work sets of
405x5
445x5

reverse bands (removes about 80-100 pounds in the hole)
505x10
530x8
545x5

(yeah yeah...the rep order is fucked but this was a work capacity cycle, not building on maxes)

Could write a small booklet on this alone that I think is preferable for raw lifters and actual athletes.
I'd totally buy a booklet for reverse bands and raw lifters, fwiw.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:44 pm

If you need a booklet for reverse bands and raw lifts, you're and idiot!

You can see what he did right there. Work sets, add reverse bands, work up (weight & reps depending on goals), go home.

Instead of wasting money on an ebook, whydon't you jjust start paypal'ing me a few bucks every month and I'll send you tips like this so you hit that elusive 2000 lb total this year.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:48 pm

theres a bit more to it than that but when you're a strapping multi sport strength athlete such as yourself enjoying the type of success you have I can see why it would seem simple.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:20 pm

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:44 pm

TerryB wrote:Image
YOU NEED TO WORK YOUR CALVES.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:03 pm

Please, Bobby.

Men are talking.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:11 am

TerryB wrote:If you need a booklet for reverse bands and raw lifts, you're and idiot!

You can see what he did right there. Work sets, add reverse bands, work up (weight & reps depending on goals), go home.

Instead of wasting money on an ebook, whydon't you jjust start paypal'ing me a few bucks every month and I'll send you tips like this so you hit that elusive 2000 lb total this year.
Ok?

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:40 am

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:56 pm