Masters PL--Best Practices

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Masters PL--Best Practices

Post by WildGorillaMan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:33 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote: Carbs. Eat them. Intra workout nutrition has gotten overblown but Masters take a long time to warm up, a long time to finish the session and often are really busy during the day. Masters need that intra workout staple more than anyone.
I was just saying earlier that I know I'm a Masters lifter now because my warmup starts lighter, takes longer and includes my first three work sets.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:07 pm

WildGorillaMan wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote: Carbs. Eat them. Intra workout nutrition has gotten overblown but Masters take a long time to warm up, a long time to finish the session and often are really busy during the day. Masters need that intra workout staple more than anyone.
I was just saying earlier that I know I'm a Masters lifter now because my warmup starts lighter, takes longer and includes my first three work sets.

=D> =D> =D>

This is exactly correct.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:11 pm

I have days where the "warmup" pretty much is the workout :). Stolen from DJ.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:47 pm

I like Jack's mantra for dealing with shitty days. I've stolen it so many times.

When in doubt, show up, warm up ....then decide if you need to pack up. I don;t know how many times I wanted to leave a training session, took 3 more throws and all of the sudden things started to click.

Danny John
Gunny

Post by Danny John » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:19 pm

Vince McConnell said this about training after 50:
There’s a difference in training age . . . and the number of candles on your upcoming birthday cake.
Training is a microcosm of life . . . there are greater consequences to doing stupid, ego-driven things at 50 than there are at 20.
Each training session has its own thumbprint . . . and is impacted by your past, and will influence your projected future.
You need to understand what’s in “the box” . . . before going outside of it.
Training principles are essential . . . and your straightest line of progress is to apply them.
Biofeedback and Kinesthetic Efficiency . . . are your greatest assets
Success in training is much like winning tennis . . . holding serve, you can win the match with a single break.
Intensity is critical . . . and workload is just as relevant.
Numbers are great servants . . . but horrible masters.
Preserving muscle tissue is the key to getting lean . . . not burning calories.
It’s about the process . . . rather than any single workout.
Mental clarity . . . is more important than just doing work.

There is a full article with this, but I thought this was a good list. The advice I got in 1993, my first competition as a Master, helped me: Use your Wallet. This was from John Price. He told me the one thing that you have as a Master is more clarity of what you want to do and more money (or credit) to buy the tools what you think you need to succeed. He was the one who got me, for example, to sign up for Hilton's Honors so that I could get my room upgrades for competition weekends. Rather than sharing a room with others or having a noisy hotel, a good room and sleep might be the difference. I guess one could sum up the advantages of age as "Clarity and Cash."

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:53 pm

Danny John wrote: I guess one could sum up the advantages of age as "Clarity and Cash."
=D> =D> =D> =D>
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Koko, Beware
Gunny

Post by Koko, Beware » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:51 am

Awesome thread--shit this is great stuff.

Thank you sirs and Svelvet.
In the mill, getting down.
-Kotto

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:44 am

powerlifter54 wrote:
Danny John wrote: I guess one could sum up the advantages of age as "Clarity and Cash."
=D> =D> =D> =D>
I am always amazed at the difference I find from what "broke" meant when I was 25 and what it means now. Back then broke meant I didn't have any money (anywhere). Now "broke" means I need to hit an ATM. And while I could certainly use more of both Clarity and Cash - DJ is certainly right. Those are certainly important for we "more mature" people :).

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:54 pm

I'm a masters payjama rasslin fayg and kettle homo and a lot of the stuff here is a necessary part of my training. I neglected my neoprene belly belt today and now I'm paying for it.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Koko, Beware
Gunny

Post by Koko, Beware » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:13 am

To tie this back to Svelvet Syaigh's post: I took the kids program over again at our gym (it's actually down to a class, which is fine and easier to handle) and it has been like a lightning bolt of clarity.

Figuring out how to do a lot with very minor changes in movement or movement selection for kids and how to simply keep the chains moving is teaching me a hell of a lot about bettering my approach to our mostly-masters crowd.

Great thread. Ton of incredibly useful info, thank you.
In the mill, getting down.
-Kotto

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:39 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:another i thought of today.

-Bring your stance, grip, and setups in an inch or two. No grab and go DLs. Get everything right. Then go.
It blows me away at how many pullers just dive and grab the bar and yank, all in half a second, and just start pulling. I've never really seen one pull with good positions, although Brandon Lilly comes to mind.

You wouldn't perform other lifts that way, but somehow people still pull that way.

I don't get it.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

johnst_nhb
Sarge

Post by johnst_nhb » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:06 am

Testiclaw wrote:

-Bring your stance, grip, and setups in an inch or two. No grab and go DLs. Get everything right. Then go.
It blows me away at how many pullers just dive and grab the bar and yank, all in half a second, and just start pulling. I've never really seen one pull with good positions, although Brandon Lilly comes to mind.

You wouldn't perform other lifts that way, but somehow people still pull that way.

I don't get it.
Check out Cody Lefever on YouTube. Great DL technique, though he's not a masters.

OCG
Sarge

Post by OCG » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:41 am

Testiclaw wrote:

I don't get it.
You can easily pull some very heavy weights with atrocious form and most powerlifters are lazy and/or stupid motherfuckers who can't stomach the idea of taking some weight off of the bar to work on technique. So they just pull with the same dogshit technique they've always pulled with because it "works".

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:02 am

It's taken me this long to finally, FINALLY, find my optimal pull technique. I wish I'd figured this out fifteen or twenty years ago.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:46 am

I need to post a vid of this new kid in the gym. 18, 220, Pulls sumo and wears his belt almost to his armpits. He does that freaky dip and grab thing.. Takes him probably 6 or more dips and grabs at the bar and then he resets. It looks retarded and it's annoying as fuck.... Until he rips 300k to lockout. Perfectly.

I have no idea how he does it but I am not saying shit to him cause it works.

msr2112
Staff Sergeant

Post by msr2112 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:49 am

Some great stuff here. Here's some more that have worked for me.

- Know what each exercise is doing for you and against you and decide accordingly.
- Understand that a training session isn't a meet
- Be consistent.
- Get your form right.
- Pay attention to your every day posture. Nothing fucks people up more than bad posture. NOTHING!
- It's been mentioned before on this thread but don't neglect the rolling and mobility work. Just don't. You don't necessarily need to warm up for 45 minutes but you should warm up for more than 5.
- Know what your goals are even if they're maintenance. Maintenance can be a very legitimate goal.
Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but nobody wanna lift this heavy-ass weight!! -Ronnie Coleman

Boris

Post by Boris » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:56 am

Good stuff in this thread....

I have a couple off the top of my head:

*When you're having one of those great, great days when everything feels easy, don't get greedy. Better to leave something on the table than to leave the table injured. There have been more than a few times I had to do just one more set and that was the straw that broke the camel's back...

*(along the same lines) You can't get that much stronger in a week or two, but you can get A WHOLE LOT weaker.

*I think DJ wrote something along these lines lately too and I've found it to be the case for me - push-ups are good juju for me in a lot of ways, not the least of which is that if you do enough of them, it's a plank and tri workout. I can do a lot of push-ups and it doesn't take much away from anything else. That isn't the case w. heavy pressing.

*(someone already mentioned this but...) Stretch. Learn to enjoy a light stretching routine that you can do while watching the tube. I don't give a shit what anyone says, done correctly (and with a little brains it's hard to fuck it up too badly) light stretching is good for stress, breathing, tension, and health.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:27 am

msr2112 wrote: - Pay attention to your every day posture. Nothing fucks people up more than bad posture. NOTHING!

One of the most important things in this thread.

Driving/Sitting and sloppy walking around are the death of athleticism.

johnst_nhb
Sarge

Post by johnst_nhb » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:52 am

Holy fuck. Can this thread be more full of pussies?

I'm over 50, so fucking what? Is everyone [masters] on this site that damn fragile and soft?

Here's my advice: work with what you got. Kick ass. If that means lowering weight to do it, so be it. Big fucking deal. Masters means nothing.

We gotta stop with the masters shit. Doesn't matter if you are 20 or 60, the same principles apply.

Kick ass with what you can do.

Boris

Post by Boris » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:57 am

Calm down.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:09 am

johnst_nhb wrote:
We gotta stop with the masters shit. Doesn't matter if you are 20 or 60, the same principles apply.
Yes the same principles still apply. But the spectrum of what you can tolerate gets smaller at 60 than 20 and the time to recover from a bout of HBAD gets longer. Hell it wouldn't even bother you at 20.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:20 am

johnst_nhb wrote:Holy fuck. Can this thread be more full of pussies?

I'm over 50, so fucking what? Is everyone [masters] on this site that damn fragile and soft?

Here's my advice: work with what you got. Kick ass. If that means lowering weight to do it, so be it. Big fucking deal. Masters means nothing.

I'm old and frail before my time but I remain skeptical,

Give us some context as to why you're such a badass.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:22 am

Sumoman wrote:This is very impressive. Do you have any videos?

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:49 pm

=D>
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

johnst_nhb
Sarge

Post by johnst_nhb » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:44 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:

I'm old and frail before my time but I remain skeptical,

Give us some context as to why you're such a badass.

Ha, no I am far from a bad ass. Very far. I was being dramatic in order to make a point about how older lifters, even recreational like me, get scared of their age. An example that comes to mind for me is in my Muay Thai class I am by far the oldest. The reason is there is so much out there that if you're over 40 you should not train in MT, it's a young man's sport. So a lot of older folks either quit or don't start. Same with lifting.

My point is the advice above is great, IF you need it. But don't apply it without knowing how you respond- you may be short changing yourself. Don't automatically assume something is going to break or you won't recover.

That's all, didn't mean to come across like a badass so my apologies everyone.