Masters PL--Best Practices

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: Masters PL--Best Practices

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:48 pm

I think we're closer than not. I just know that two opposing truths are in play.

Thing One: If you play like you're old, you'll feel old

Thing Two: If you play like you're young when you're old, you'll reap the whirlwind.

I'm a huge fan of competing in the open classes and throwing down against guys less than half my age...by the same token, I know the only way I can get away with that is by being very cognizant of my limitations. I've said this many times, I think getting badly injured at the peak of my capabilities as an athlete was a blessing. There was no slow decline, no lying to myself about where we go from here. I just woke up at 31 after a couple surgeries and a lot of hard drinking and realized ....so this is what OLD feels like. "Alright, anything north of this position is gold...let's see how far this rabbit hole goes"
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:21 am

Way before i started to feel the cold wind of reality in my training, the biggest reason i went from a very good local lifter to a Nationally competitive lifter is i asked myself constantly was what i was doing making me the strongest for 9 lifts on meet day or was i trying to be a gym all star?

There are athletes that are just great and it is a full time thing. Most of us probably do not fall in that group. I found if i PRed monthly in each lift or the lift that most predicted my meet lifts (full gear double in the squat, no gear triple in squat, 2 board single in the BP, 4 board meet grip raw, deficit DL to a triple raw), i stayed on track. Yes there were days where i was doing bands or CM and i felt good and went up. But if the bar speed slowed i was done. Walked away from callouts a few times because you can recover in a day from wounded pride but a quad/pec tear or hammy pull takes a lot longer.

The name of the game over 40ish is to not have setbacks, even at the risk of missing out on a few big training lifts.

YMMV
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:30 am

"Train - don't test". That's what meets are for. I preach this constantly with all my Grip friends.

Boris

Post by Boris » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:42 am

johnst_nhb wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
johnst_nhb wrote:Holy fuck. Can this thread be more full of pussies?

I'm over 50, so fucking what? Is everyone [masters] on this site that damn fragile and soft?

Here's my advice: work with what you got. Kick ass. If that means lowering weight to do it, so be it. Big fucking deal. Masters means nothing.

We gotta stop with the masters shit. Doesn't matter if you are 20 or 60, the same principles apply.

Kick ass with what you can do.
I'm old and frail before my time but I remain skeptical,

Give us some context as to why you're such a badass.

Ha, no I am far from a bad ass. Very far. I was being dramatic in order to make a point about how older lifters, even recreational like me, get scared of their age. An example that comes to mind for me is in my Muay Thai class I am by far the oldest. The reason is there is so much out there that if you're over 40 you should not train in MT, it's a young man's sport. So a lot of older folks either quit or don't start. Same with lifting.

My point is the advice above is great, IF you need it. But don't apply it without knowing how you respond- you may be short changing yourself. Don't automatically assume something is going to break or you won't recover.

That's all, didn't mean to come across like a badass so my apologies everyone.
Maybe if you just assumed everyone chiming in had PL experience and are not "automatically assuming something is going to break" you wouldn't have come off as such a dick...

Sorry (kind of) - I'm a little under the weather. Less patience for internet than usual.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:02 am

I don't know badass - I know show up - every single day - do the days work and move on.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:22 pm

A sobering number of guys I know in the 45-55 age cohort have experience major muscle tears in the past year or two. They all have the following in common:

1) an advanced training age. They've spent 25+ years in the gym.
2) the introduction of TRT (or, more often TRT+) and the euphoria that comes along with it. "I'm nearly 50 but I feel 18 again!"
3) pushing their luck, as PL54 mentioned, with heavy limit attempts.

That's always in the back of my mind when I balance the scales between pushing myself and calling it a day.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Really Big Strong Guy

Post by Really Big Strong Guy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:59 pm

WildGorillaMan wrote:A sobering number of guys I know in the 45-55 age cohort have experience major muscle tears in the past year or two. They all have the following in common:

1) an advanced training age. They've spent 25+ years in the gym.
2) the introduction of TRT (or, more often TRT+) and the euphoria that comes along with it. "I'm nearly 50 but I feel 18 again!"
3) pushing their luck, as PL54 mentioned, with heavy limit attempts.

That's always in the back of my mind when I balance the scales between pushing myself and calling it a day.
This! Well said. Could not agree more.

I still, occasionally, push the envelop. But very very seldom. I have decided to not miss training sessions but I no longer lift heavy unless the opportunity presents itself. And, even then, the heavy is truly not heavy. I rarely pull over 270kg any more. I never put more than 140kg overhead. I will never bench more than 130kg. I am finding great love in bodyweight movements and I am finally doing pullups pain free again.

I have also learned that there is great joy in doing single joint movements again.....I cannot believe I just wrote that.....I can feel my labia growing......
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........