Gaining muscle whilst losing fat...

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

terra

Gaining muscle whilst losing fat...

Post by terra » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:16 am

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 012716.php
Researchers at McMaster University have uncovered significant new evidence in the quest for the elusive goal of gaining muscle and losing fat, an oft-debated problem for those trying to manage their weight, control their calories and balance their protein consumption.
Scientists have found that it is possible to achieve both, and quickly, but it isn't easy.
Both groups went on a low calorie diet, one with higher levels of protein than the other. The higher-protein group experienced muscle gains -- about 2.5 pounds -- despite consuming insufficient energy, while the lower protein group did not add muscle.
The results showed that the high-protein group lost about 10.5 pounds and the low protein group only eight pounds. All of the participants, by virtue of the demanding six-days-a-week exercise routines, got stronger, fitter, and generally were in much better shape.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: Gaining muscle whilst losing fat...

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:35 am

Huh, who thought high protein and lots of exercise coupled with a 40% deficit would work like that?

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:36 am

terra

Post by terra » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:03 am

I know, right?

...Perhaps we could make this the next IGx challenge.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

terra

Post by terra » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:05 am

Btw, I'm back training on your ladder template.
<<<<q
Ralph Waldo Emerson

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:42 pm

terra wrote:I know, right?

...Perhaps we could make this the next IGx challenge.
You need to stop that damnfool talk right now. :-$
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:43 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Huh, who thought high protein and lots of exercise coupled with a 40% deficit would work like that?
If you were trying to make a living in the "Fitness Industry" and were selling that idea, you would starve before any client did.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

ledfistaco
Gunny

Post by ledfistaco » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:05 pm

The over a gram of protein per pound of bw is a bit of a challenge to digest and enjoy.
And the calorie deficit in the article is pretty darn big.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:24 pm

I dropped 17 lbs (in truth the last 5 was probably water) between the end of July and end of September last year while training to compete in a Highland Games. I got stronger while losing weight and PRed all my throws (and made weight most importantly) at the contest. I was also lifting twice a week during this time and throwing 4-5 days per week (its all in my log).

I did it by eating 30 grams of protein each meal, fasting on my light throwing/cardio/inactive days, and it was fucking miserable. But, it worked. I lost weight and got stronger. I also gave up alcohol and sugar. But, I've done that before and was just miserable and weak. On my fasting days, I really only ate one meal. I ate a lot of fat free greek yogurt and I had carbs on my heavy training days, but not a lot.

I've found with my weightlifters and powerlifters that if they go low carb but don't focus on the high protein intake, they are just weak. But, if they can eat some carbs on heavy days and keep their protein intake high at all meals, they do well. Its not a diet I would recommend for every day people. You get sick of chewing and you start to hate food altogether. And people. And sometimes your own children. But, it works and it works well.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:10 am

I cannot find anywhere in the articles if these were trained or untrained subjects. But I have my suspicions.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:06 am

Untrained...at least they said obese.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:41 am

That's exactly how I trained for the longest time, but not that much of a deficit...I don't think.
Huh, who thought high protein and lots of exercise coupled with a 40% deficit would work like that?

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:46 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Untrained...at least they said obese.
In that case I don't have to comment on the value of the study that proves the obvious. Extreme deficit, fairly large volume of exercise in untrained subjects - who would have guessed.

Yes, I'm drunk

Post by Yes, I'm drunk » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:51 am

So T-Nation wasn't lying after all.

This is the beauty of peer-review. It killed science, and science forevermore.....

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:37 pm

More evidence that higher levels of protein is good for getting in better shape, thank you for sharing.

My diet rec is either

A) eat what you know is healthy, eat every few hours based on your metabolism, and get a certain amount of protein minimally at every meal.

Or

B) eat x calories and x amount of protein every day

Either 2 or 3 steps, but it is crazy how many people make excuses. I'd say out of 20 clients, 2-3 listen 100%, 5 listen partially, and the rest don't listen at all.
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ripe Turd » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:20 pm

Bram wrote:Either 2 or 3 steps, but it is crazy how many people make excuses. I'd say out of 20 clients, 2-3 listen 100%, 5 listen partially, and the rest don't listen at all.
That's why I love the Precision Nutrition and Zone cookbooks. Healthy, easy-to-cook meals. Make a fucking shopping list and write down which meals you'll cook on each day of the next week. You get leftovers for your lunch the following day. Eat many eggs for breakfast.

Sadly, many people I know eat a toast with jam for breakfast (or skip it entirely), then eat 2 white bagels in the morning because they're hungry, and coffee is their main afternoon food.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:54 am

I learned these rules from a BB diet guru dude.

Each 30-40 grams of protein with each meal.

A meal is anytime you put food in your mouth. (food is anything with calories. ANYTHING)

Add that to any regime, you'll begin to see positive changes. It has never failed me and it's so simple I consistently forget to do it. When I do, I average 170-250 grams of protein each day with not much desire to eat anything else. You can try to cram in a unch of junk but each time you do you're loading up on protein, which blunts appetite. Real big fatties will try to cheat it but it's a solid first step that will add benefits even for those people.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:42 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:I learned these rules from a BB diet guru dude.

Each 30-40 grams of protein with each meal.

A meal is anytime you put food in your mouth. (food is anything with calories. ANYTHING)

Add that to any regime, you'll begin to see positive changes. It has never failed me and it's so simple I consistently forget to do it. When I do, I average 170-250 grams of protein each day with not much desire to eat anything else. You can try to cram in a unch of junk but each time you do you're loading up on protein, which blunts appetite. Real big fatties will try to cheat it but it's a solid first step that will add benefits even for those people.
One step, hahah, that's a good reductionist approach. I will try that with my resistant people. I don't want to give up on people, but holy hell they make it tough.
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:46 am

Ripe Turd wrote:
Bram wrote:Either 2 or 3 steps, but it is crazy how many people make excuses. I'd say out of 20 clients, 2-3 listen 100%, 5 listen partially, and the rest don't listen at all.
That's why I love the Precision Nutrition and Zone cookbooks. Healthy, easy-to-cook meals. Make a fucking shopping list and write down which meals you'll cook on each day of the next week. You get leftovers for your lunch the following day. Eat many eggs for breakfast.

Sadly, many people I know eat a toast with jam for breakfast (or skip it entirely), then eat 2 white bagels in the morning because they're hungry, and coffee is their main afternoon food.
I'll check those out, thanks for the book ideas.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:43 am

Ripe Turd wrote:Eat many eggs for breakfast.
How safe is this? I mean, how many eggs can you eat daily on a regular basis?

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:48 am

I can eat fifty eggs.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:14 am

If my boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel