HIIT makes you stupid

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

HIIT makes you stupid

Post by buckethead » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:51 pm

Those rats that had jogged on wheels showed robust levels of neurogenesis. Their hippocampal tissue teemed with new neurons, far more than in the brains of the sedentary animals. The greater the distance that a runner had covered during the experiment, the more new cells its brain now contained.

There were far fewer new neurons in the brains of the animals that had completed high-intensity interval training. They showed somewhat higher amounts than in the sedentary animals but far less than in the distance runners.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/02/1 ... rain/?_r=0

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: HIIT makes you stupid

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:42 pm

So....LSD makes you smarter (both kinds)

HIIT gives you such a nominal bump that you might as well spend the time laying around doing crosswords.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:27 am

Talking of LSD... If you do crosswords at moderate pace for a prolonged period of time, will it give you bigger muscles?

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:35 am

Sangoma wrote:Talking of LSD... If you do crosswords at moderate pace for a prolonged period of time, will it give you bigger muscles?
Don't worry, this will never happen to you. You can't stick to a program more than 16 days.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:00 am

I guess I will stick to crossword intervals then. :cheers:

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:41 pm

hiit makes you a teeny bit smarter.

the reason you guys aren't so bright is this:
. . . the weight-training rats, although they were much stronger at the end of the experiment than they had been at the start, showed no discernible augmentation of neurogenesis. Their hippocampal tissue looked just like that of the animals that had not exercised at all.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:56 pm

Crossfit rat:

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:55 am

Smet, have you ever tried XFit? I'm serious.

If I recall correctly, your strength goals are pretty modest (nothing wrong with that; count me in too) so any road you take (even if it's Crossfit) will eventually get you there. And maybe all those constantly varied workouts are exactly what you need to stick to something long enough.

Just sayin'...

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:32 am

I knew that only people with serious drug experiences can understand the joke about LSD and crosswords.

SubClaw, I am not sure why you're on my back all of a sudden. Few years I stuck for a year with DoggCrapp, later stuck for just under two years with GS under Rudnev (even achieved some modest results). Before that - got 1.5 x bodyweight squat using ladders. More GS consistently during Girevoy Sport After 40 blog years. I got ripped during August-November last year following very strict routine and diet with serious discipline. Some of it is on my old training log here on IGx, some on blogs I created for the purpose. Not that I have anything to boast about, just saying that I can get focused when I feel like it. Sure, I have jumping between a few programs in the last few months, but then I am not preparing for Masters Olympic Games in the near future. I decided to stick with 531 and am at the end of the first microcycle. Will I have the discipline to stick with it - I don't know. If I drop it I guess I will again disappoint you. At any rate I am in decent shape, and that's pretty much what matters to me. To be completely correct, my strength goals are not modest, they are undefined. Sort of "wherever the road takes me". So chill, man, I'll be fine.

CrossFit - I don't like. For too many reasons to list in this post.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:52 am

Sangoma wrote:I knew that only people with serious drug experiences can understand the joke about LSD and crosswords.

SubClaw, I am not sure why you're on my back all of a sudden.

I wasn't fucking with you. I was trying to give you some friendly advice.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:06 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Sangoma wrote:I knew that only people with serious drug experiences can understand the joke about LSD and crosswords.

Hey fuck you and your friendly advice you friendly fucking fuck! This is IGX we are only friendly about sharing cock pics so send Smet a cock pic or face a perma ban,
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:47 pm

Holland Oates wrote:
SubClaw wrote:

Hey fuck you and your friendly advice you friendly fucking fuck! This is IGX we are only friendly about sharing cock pics so send Smet a cock pic or face a perma ban,
Wanna go camping?

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:44 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Holland Oates wrote:
SubClaw wrote:

Wanna go camping?
Oh yeah
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:19 pm

HIIT making you stupid explains Jason Ferruggia

terra

Post by terra » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:11 am

I'm not sure how that paper made it through peer review without someone gutter stomping the living shit out of it for poor methodology.

If you read the paper... and look at the HIT method* compared to the endurance method, it is no wonder that the HIT rats didn't increase their hippocampus. Also there was barely a passing mention of negative stress, but no control for it.
In a similar experiement, Okamoto et al 2015, DID test for stress (corticosterone) and found massive increases in the intense exercise rat group. But, again the method for the intense exercise rats included electric shocks, to the point where some rats shut down and refused to perform the intense exercise (in other words, gave up and went into the "prepare to die" unmyelinated vagus stress pathways) It's well known that stress which is beyond the control of the subject (previous experiments using rats) induces much higher chronic stress physiology, which would have a significant effect on these results - cortisol can initiate but also destroy brain development depending on amount and other factors. It also goes without saying that rats have no facility for the consciously enjoyed 'rewards' that humans gain through intense training... The brotastic feeling of swoleness.

*HIT Method from the 'experiment' = hang a load equal to the rats bodyweight from its tail (you know, just the extension of its spine), then force it to climb a ladder or receive an electric shock...
This would be similar to getting one of our swole IGx-ers, hanging 240lbs from their tailbone with a pair of vice grips and forcing them to climb a ladder on pain of electrocution. Then, after 6-8 weeks of this amazingly designed experiment supposedly looking for a link between exercise and brain development, we shake our heads at the results wondering why their brain is beginning to look like something from an Abu Ghraib prisoner (hippocampus decline).

Conclusion.
Sometimes, life saving knowledge can be gained from experimenting with animals - a sad situation, but the way it is. However, one has to wonder if what happens in labs is always well thought out science, or just dickheads fucking around with rats and justifying a grant, or PhD that keeps the cogs of the science industry turning.

Wipe your ass with the research paper, it adds zero to our understanding of anything. However, it does have the ability to mislead once it becomes clickbait on the Huffington post or Salon or whatever the fuck gets way too much attention on facebook-the-truthmaker.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:21 am

terra wrote: This would be similar to getting one of our swole IGx-ers, hanging 240lbs from their tailbone with a pair of vice grips and forcing them to climb a ladder on pain of electrocution. Then, after 6-8 weeks of this amazingly designed experiment supposedly looking for a link between exercise and brain development, we shake our heads at the results wondering why their brain is beginning to look like something from an Abu Ghraib prisoner (hippocampus decline).
Hanging a weight on IGx-er's dick and making him climb a ladder under the threat of electric shock... About 20% of members would enjoy the electric shock, other 20% percent would enjoy shit hanging off their dicks, 10% would climb slowly in order to get the effect of the weight and the shock. The rest would be too lazy to do anything.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:38 pm

And some of us would enjoy all of it. And others would just love to watch.