I JUST RAN 12 FUCKING MILES

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

I JUST RAN 12 FUCKING MILES

Post by Kenny X » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Okay! For those of you who haven't been following Kenny X on Bookyface, I'll bring you up to speed.

Mrs. Kenny X is an avid half-marathon runner. What's more, she turned the volume up to 11 in November, by running the Pensacola Marathon, and totally kicking ass! And as her loving husband, I was there supporting her 100%.

I admire what she does, with running, and the week of Thanksgiving, when she asked me if I'd like to run the Camellia Crossing 5K with her, to benefit a local cancer center -the day before Thanksgiving- I said "FUCK YEAH!"

So I ran two miles with her that Monday, then did the 5K the day before Thanksgiving, and had a blast!

A Saturday later, I was my niece's "running buddy" for her Girl's On The Run 5K, after my sister in-law backed out due to work obligations.

The rest is history.

I told Mrs. Kenny X "I want to do a half marathon."

Mrs. Kenny X said "That's rad! I'll make you a training program and you'll kill it!"

I had Mr. Tom Furman, my S&C Coach look the running program over and he approved, and I got started.

Today I ran my first ever 12 miles. Avg. pace: 9:51!

I am ready for The Zydeco Half-Marathon, which I'll be running on March 13! I am so fucking excited!!!

Looking to finish in 2 hours, 10 minutes or less.
WildGorillaMan wrote:$4000 bicycle. $300 shoes. $400 spandex.

35% bodyfat.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Re: I JUST RAN 12 FUCKING MILES

Post by syaigh » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:05 pm

Awesome job. :). Running can be scary, and painful, and hard, but we are all capable. After eschewing running for decades, I trained for a tough mudder for my 40th birthday. I remember my first 10 mile continuous run. It wasn't anything I ever thought myself capable of and I think I was just as elated as you are now. Great work! :)
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:41 pm

Thank you so much! I never thought myself capable of this, and I'm amazed at how well it's worked out for me. I love it.

35% bodyfat.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:46 pm

Congratulations! Good Luck in March!

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:50 pm

Nice job. Kudos

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:51 pm

I have a copy of sissons primal endurance I can sling out in ePub

Koko, Beware
Gunny

Post by Koko, Beware » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:08 pm

Congrats dude. That is great!
In the mill, getting down.
-Kotto

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:45 pm

That's awesome, congratulations!
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:11 pm

KennyX is the next R Rated Superhero.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:02 pm

Quick, do a sudoku and see how much smarter you are

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:13 pm

Sweet, there's a weird satisfaction in running. I suck at it but I've been doing it for years. One of my daughters helps with girls on the run. That's pretty cool too.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:14 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I have a copy of sissons primal endurance I can sling out in ePub

I'd actually be really interested in reading that!

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:16 pm

Kirk wrote:Sweet, there's a weird satisfaction in running. I suck at it but I've been doing it for years. One of my daughters helps with girls on the run. That's pretty cool too.

GOTR is such an awesome thing! We are born with few virtues. We have to learn them, and cultivate them. GOTR helps girls cultivate virtues and teaches them all about discipline and hard work. I back them 100%. Great organization.

35% bodyfat.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:09 am

That is fantastic, Kenny X!

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:48 am

Great job Kenny X!
That's a real accomplishment.

Ericc
Sgt. Major

Post by Ericc » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:28 am

nice job! After the half, skip the marathon and head right to an ultra next.
A great challenge yet oddly easier than a marathon. (also easier than a half)

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:29 am

what the fuck is wrong with you, kenny?

doing that catabolic shuffling is going to leave you scrawny, with low-T and a wife looking for a real man.

when you hit the wall after 4 1/2 hours during some pointless marathon and the missus is nowhere in sight, don't say you haven't been warned.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:08 am

Kenny X wrote:
Kirk wrote:Sweet, there's a weird satisfaction in running. I suck at it but I've been doing it for years. One of my daughters helps with girls on the run. That's pretty cool too.

GOTR is such an awesome thing! We are born with few virtues. We have to learn them, and cultivate them. GOTR helps girls cultivate virtues and teaches them all about discipline and hard work. I back them 100%. Great organization.
What's that? Girls On The Rag? Game Of Thrones Rocks?

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:08 am

Ericc wrote:nice job! After the half, skip the marathon and head right to an ultra next.
WAT?

Ericc
Sgt. Major

Post by Ericc » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:32 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Ericc wrote:nice job! After the half, skip the marathon and head right to an ultra next.
WAT?

Yeah, I guess I should add that it depends on the intent behind each race - few people, outside a certain set, actually race an ultra. They're in it for the finish and will do what it takes to get there, walk, power hike, crawl. No one as yet has asked me my 100 ultra time. But breaking the 4 hour mark in a marathon soon becomes every racers goal and it takes a lot of work and a big effort (for me) to get there. It takes me weeks to recover from a fast half, or whole marathon but I'm good to go a few days after a 50k, 50 miler or 24 hour effort. That would change if I was an elite or pushing for a PR.

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Yeah, I guess I should add that it depends on the intent behind each race - few people, outside a certain set, actually race an ultra. They're in it for the finish and will do what it takes to get there, walk, power hike, crawl. No one as yet has asked me my 100 ultra time. But breaking the 4 hour mark in a marathon soon becomes every racers goal and it takes a lot of work and a big effort (for me) to get there. It takes me weeks to recover from a fast half, or whole marathon but I'm good to go a few days after a 50k, 50 miler or 24 hour effort. That would change if I was an elite or pushing for a PR.[/quote]

Interesting... The JFK50 course is an easy run's distance from my house. I thought I might do it some day but thought a marathon would need to come first. Hmm...

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:08 pm

LAWLS thanks to all you guys!

Now, I have a question about this ultra running stuff.

Forgive my ignorance, please. Why is it that folks say doing a 50 mile + race is easier than a half or a whole? I have read, literally ZERO about ultra running, an I know nothing about it except to say that I have no idea how the hell I could run at a 9:30 - 10 min./mi. pace for that long without stopping to puke up/shit out my intestines.

So how's it all work?

35% bodyfat.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:10 pm

dead man walking wrote:what the fuck is wrong with you, kenny?

doing that catabolic shuffling is going to leave you scrawny, with low-T and a wife looking for a real man.

when you hit the wall after 4 1/2 hours during some pointless marathon and the missus is nowhere in sight, don't say you haven't been warned.

Bruh! Truth be told- I haven't lost much of my hard-earned muscle mass, if any at all, during this training. I owe all that to Tom Furman, he's kept me lifting 4 x's per week the entire time I've been running. And I've been dieting, too! My body likes the combination.

35% bodyfat.

Ericc
Sgt. Major

Post by Ericc » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:33 pm

Hey Kenny, from my experience it's been easier because I "race" half and full marathons - faster pace, greater effort, more involved training (tempo, track) and the body and mind pay a price for that effort and the prep time. Depending on goals the price varies of course. Last year at C&O 100 I ran the first 60 fairly steady and then turned 30 miles into a walking/occasional run buffet party - one aid station to the next, eating vegan pancakes and laughing with my pacer, seeing friends on the trail and generally having a good time. The effort was really on just being on my feet continuously. The last 10 miles I turned serious again and tried by best to pass people and run hard. It's a plan that kept me feeling pretty fresh at the end. Maybe I could have run the whole thing through and pushed harder for a 24 hour finish - but it would have been a higher price than I was willing to pay (at that time) Three weeks later I won my age group at a 12 hour race. So taking it easy had a payoff. But I see most people who do ultras take a similar approach - time on their feet for training trumps a push for mileage and their is less hard effort for speed and tempo concerns. Most people just want to finish. Maybe later some will start thinking about time. I would love to break 10:00 in a 50 (10:20 is my best) but it hasn't fit in with overall goals and approach just yet. So to sum it up, you'll be doing a lot more walking, power hiking, eating, socializing, in an ultra then you will during your half. The important thing is to enjoy the journey no matter where or how far it takes you. Good luck!

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:24 pm

Ericc wrote:Yeah, I guess I should add that it depends on the intent behind each race - few people, outside a certain set, actually race an ultra. They're in it for the finish and will do what it takes to get there, walk, power hike, crawl. No one as yet has asked me my 100 ultra time. But breaking the 4 hour mark in a marathon soon becomes every racers goal and it takes a lot of work and a big effort (for me) to get there. It takes me weeks to recover from a fast half, or whole marathon but I'm good to go a few days after a 50k, 50 miler or 24 hour effort. That would change if I was an elite or pushing for a PR.
It kinda makes sense. I remember Dean Karnazes saying something along those lines.