Royce's legacy

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Royce's legacy

Post by Turdacious » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:53 am

How badly hurt was it by the Bravo altercation and the last Shamrock fight? Discuss.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

mike.b
Staff Sergeant

Re: Royce's legacy

Post by mike.b » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:05 pm

"When the knee crashes into the family jewels, no can defend. Just ask Hidehiko Yoshida, Kazushi Sakuraba, and now Ken Shamrock" - Royce Gracie

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:34 pm

His getting crushed by Hughes pretty much dispelled the myth some had about him. His legacy should be limited to what he did in the first few UFCs: bringing BJJ to the forefront of martial arts.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

mike.b
Staff Sergeant

Post by mike.b » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:55 pm

The man is a tough summbitch...when you look at him next to the guys he fought ...you cannot have nothing but respect for him I mean the man looks like he can't fight a 16 year old schoolgirl.

"Ain't no 175lb Karate guy gonna choke me" - Ken Shamrock @ufc 1 =D>

I'm not sure how many people alive would have had the cojones to get in the ring with this guy in his prime I mean the man fights wearing a speedo

Royce Is one on the toughest/bravest motherfuckers who ever walked on this planet....
If he would have gained about 30 pounds of muscle and used steroids like everyone else....who knows what might have been

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:21 pm

"I'm very happy, that was my first knockout," the 49-year old Gracie said during the post-fight press conference. "But, I was telling Ken, we come from an era where there was no time limit, no weight division, no gloves, no rules, groin shots were allowed. But it did not catch his groin."
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/20/11 ... ock-it-did
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:31 pm

I'm tired of Gracies yapping about how a fight would be under a different rule book.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:24 pm

You should see Marco going on and on about rule changes on facesbooks

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:34 pm

johno wrote:I'm tired of Gracies yapping about how a fight would be under a different rule book.

This is what makes Renzo so likable to me. He seems to shy away from that nonsense..I could be mistaken but I've never heard of him bitching about the rules...but to be fair, I'm biased. I've never found any of the Brazilians particularly interesting as humans, mostly they come off as tedious cunts, each with an enormous chip on their his tiny shoulder...except Helio and Renzo. Renzo has got to be easily one of the most charming and hilarious guys in the early days of MMA. Good to see him thriving.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:43 am

You know who's the biggest pussy BJJ'er alive?

FatCat.

Sucked his way to a purple belt

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:58 am

Renzo is one of the most genuinely nice people I have ever met. A joy to spend time with, and a role model in terms of friendliness and positivity.

Royce is one of the most stuck on himself dicks that I have ever met, and I say that even though he's always been fairly pleasant to me. As far as his fighting legacy, go watch the matches with Wallid Ismael and Matt Hughes. Jiujitsu master my fucking ass. Black belt...yeah, sure. Master...pppffffftttt.

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:17 am

This is what makes Renzo so likable to me. He seems to shy away from that nonsense..I could be mistaken but I've never heard of him bitching about the rules...but to be fair, I'm biased. I've never found any of the Brazilians particularly interesting as humans, mostly they come off as tedious cunts, each with an enormous chip on their his tiny shoulder...except Helio and Renzo. Renzo has got to be easily one of the most charming and hilarious guys in the early days of MMA. Good to see him thriving.
I have to disagree with this a bit. I have trained with a lot of Brazilians in both judo and bjj, some of them quite famous fighters, and found that they universally had the machismo/honor bullshit, but most were very warm and generous people who would give you the shirt of their back. The Gracies are universally known as cunts though except for a few like Renzo.

milosz

Post by milosz » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:40 am

mike.b wrote: If he would have gained about 30 pounds of muscle and used steroids like everyone else....who knows what might have been
Um... didn't Royce actually piss hot?

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:10 pm

tonkadtx wrote:The Gracies are universally known as cunts though except for a few like Renzo.
Maybe it was age, but Carlson was a really nice guy. Junior, too.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:52 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:You should see Marco going on and on about rule changes on facesbooks
Yep. Half of it is his reaction to the Gracie whining about rules, the other half is revulsion at seeing a grown man scoot on his butt like a dog with impacted anal glands.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

MeatPlow
Staff Sergeant

Post by MeatPlow » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:01 am

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
tonkadtx wrote:The Gracies are universally known as cunts though except for a few like Renzo.
Maybe it was age, but Carlson was a really nice guy. Junior, too.
Got to meet Carlson Jr. at his seminar. Super nice guy.

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:24 am

I have not personally met Carlson. I was thinking of Helio's sons and grandsons. I know FatCat had nothing but good things to say about Relson, but my general impression of the reputation of many of the others (including business practices) was overwhelmingly negative either from personal experience or through people I have known my whole life in judo/bjj.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:37 am

I hope he beats his cancer.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:17 am

tonkadtx wrote:I have not personally met Carlson. I was thinking of Helio's sons and grandsons. I know FatCat had nothing but good things to say about Relson, but my general impression of the reputation of many of the others (including business practices) was overwhelmingly negative either from personal experience or through people I have known my whole life in judo/bjj.
I met Rener once and he seemed nice.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:07 am

I've met Carlson Junior and Royce. Both were nice. Carlson Junior fucking hates Gracie university and one of Royce's first black belts said Royce kneed Ken on purpose.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:24 am

johno wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:You should see Marco going on and on about rule changes on facesbooks
Yep. Half of it is his reaction to the Gracie whining about rules, the other half is revulsion at seeing a grown man scoot on his butt like a dog with impacted anal glands.

TRUTH! =D>

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:21 pm

For the record, I haven't met any of the Gracies.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:33 pm

I met and trained with Royler on Saturday and he was one of the best human beings I have ever met.
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com