Simple Fluid Qigong

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Simple Fluid Qigong

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:18 pm

Looking for something simple, bendy, and flowing, with good breathing that doesn't require many steps.

I'm looking for a form that promotes calm and flexibility that can be done in a small room. If I had more room I'd do a modified tai chi but I need something compact.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Simple Fluid Qigong

Post by Sangoma » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:16 am

Not sure if it qualifies, but check out Eight Pieces of Brocade. Very little space needed.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:47 pm

I've got a pdf of the form Cotter got from his IMA guy I'll look for..its pretty simplified.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:25 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I've got a pdf of the form Cotter got from his IMA guy I'll look for..its pretty simplified.
Think he showed us that at one of his things I went to.If it is the same it is nice.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Hagbard
Sgt. Major

Post by Hagbard » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:03 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Qigong-Health-Wel ... 104&sr=1-3

I studied with this guy for a few years, it covers all of the bases.
?

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:47 pm

I did this for a while a few years ago and liked it quite a bit. Pretty simple.
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:https://app.box.com/s/8p0iuhoy445u40knhbls

Nine Little Heaven Qigong.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:22 pm

Thanks all!
I will dig into these. Time to add something gentle into the mix.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:18 am

As per Shaf.. Steve Cotter's stuff is simple and powerful. Good stuff. However there is lots of good material out there.
My man in Pittsburgh,.. Glenn Hairston has this offering. http://glennhairston.com/media/dvds/eight-treasures/
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:45 am

Ah, really? I didn't notice I'd shared the whole folder. I keep the ladders drafts in another folder there, I can link you one of you really want to see where I left off.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:50 am

I deleted the first link. Just didn't want open access to that folder

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:28 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I deleted the first link.
And my post.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:51 am

if anyone wants the original link just PM me and I'll resend. It's just a repository of stuff I've found online. I just didn't want it public

And, yeah, i deleted Ryan's post because I couldn't edit it.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:51 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Ah, really? I didn't notice I'd shared the whole folder. I keep the ladders drafts in another folder there, I can link you one of you really want to see where I left off.
I wouldn`t mind seeing that.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:37 pm

I downloaded a few files.

I made the comment in my deleted post that I thought I might see a draft of Shaf's ladder eBook.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:19 am

You should probably just drop everything and become Dr. Love's disciple.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:31 am

Bedlam 0-0-0 wrote:You should probably just drop everything and become Dr. Love's disciple.
If that guy was pasty as a snowflake, we'd look kind of similar. I think I just found my retirement scam (I mean occupation.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:38 am

First, the Little 9 Heaven is working out as just what I want. One thing that pleasantly surprised me was the movements on one leg. Balance is one of the things that leaves you with age and it's beneficial to practice it.

I do the Ba Duan Jin almost everyday but the version shown in an above link is very different and I'll look into it as a future option. The Ba Duan Jin seems to have a jillion versions.

I ordered the Qigong book but it hasn't arrived yet.

Regarding Dr. Love, if he was as pasty as a snow flake we'd look like relatives. I may have found my retirement scam (I mean gig).

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:36 pm

I don't always put it in my log but I've been doing a fair amount of Little 9 Heaven. It's a sweet form for my purposes. Nice breathing, stretch, and balance. Calming. Shaf's links gave me everything I need. I actually feel the sensations associated with what's called qi: tingling, warmth, saliva generation, etc. Not sure if I believe in qi or not, but whatever it is I feel it a bit.

I got the book Hagbard recommended and have done some of the forms, most particularly the foundation breathing exercises which can be done on a long drive or when seated on a plane. I get to Philly a few times per year and would enjoy learning more from Mr. Hou if I can work it out.

This is a general synopsis of what I'm doing right now.
• Joint mobility + the Ba Duan Jin almost every day
• Little 9 Heaven and/or 5 Tibetan Rites regularly but not religiously.
• Two days of heavy lifting per week (5 to 10 day weeks). Heavy by my standards not that of you strong mofo's.
• Some bipedal activity (mostly walking & stairs). I need to do more in this area.
• Other bodyweight stuff or KB fondling as I feel like it and regular stretching

I've also tried to make Constructive Living a bigger part of my life. What I'm doing now isn't the fountain of youth or a path to enlightenment. I don't look like Zeus or have the calmness of a zen monk, but things could be (and have been) far worse. There are a million paths but this pattern of activity has been decent medicine for my early onset geezerliness.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:14 pm

Hagbard wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Qigong-Health-Wel ... 104&sr=1-3

Hagbard, thanks for this link. Like Dr. Donkey Love, I picked up the book as well. I recently began the simple standing exercises from Kam Chuen Lam's "Way of Energy" and I plan to go through the Hou book thoroughly to see what I can get from it. I realize that in almost everything, learning from a book has limitations, but I'm trying to live the "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" approach espoused by Teddy Roosevelt. (Moreover, I have some nascent health issues that medical doctors have nothing beyond, "we'll just keep an eye on those" to offer, that I would love to heal via enhanced approaches to breathing/moving, etc.)

As a newbie to Qi teachings, I am hoping to avoid a crazy-making and ineffective ADD approach to learning, and I'm hoping to find an "inch wide and mile deep approach" of a very basic and powerful practice.

I live on Long Island in NY and Mr. Hou is about 2 hours from me, so I am open to some level of personal instruction.

I would appreciate if you could please elaborate as fully as you care to about your experience with Mr. Hou.

Thanks!

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:38 pm

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
• Two days of heavy lifting per week (5 to 10 day weeks). Heavy by my standards not that of you strong mofo's.
• Some bipedal activity (mostly walking & stairs). I need to do more in this area.
• Other bodyweight stuff or KB fondling as I feel like it and regular stretching
What are you doing for arboreal locomotion?
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:07 pm

TerryB wrote:
DrDonkeyLove wrote:
What are you doing for arboreal locomotion?
Deloads the spine too.

Hagbard
Sgt. Major

Post by Hagbard » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:08 pm

Hou Qigong - more or less complete "health" oriented qigong system from a fifth generation family style practitioner who works as a healer full-time.

Standing - complete health/martial oriented qigong system. Zhan Zhuang is usually taught by martial artists rather than healers, so there is some martial background that may or may not be apparent.

The main difference is when and how intention is used. Hou uses intention day 1, most schools of zhan zhuang want you to sweat it out in the postures and develop good root and an open/relaxed mind before working with intention.

Another key difference is there is less emphasis on "qi" in standing, which may or not appeal to you.

Both approaches are great. Both work better if you get a little instruction in person from time to time but you're not going to go crazy or fall apart if you do not.

If you have spiritual aspirations, you may find the daoist concept of dual cultivation of xing and ming, or "nature" and "life", helpful.

Xing, or nature is your true nature, and uncovering that true nature is the main goal of most buddhist and daoist practices.
Ming, or life, is in a sense a concept of destiny, or your path through life. So it isn't just health or lifespan, but how the path from birth to death goes. You are born with genetics and predispostions, but ming practices attempt to work with what you have to enjoy a smooth(er) path through life. A lot of this is stuff that you learn in health class, but there is more you can do to be comfortable in your body.

Both practices focus on ming, but lay a good foundation for you if you choose to pursue the spiritual side of these practices.

My main advice would be to set aside some practice time and work through either book. If you like what you experience check out a teacher.

Mr. Hou is laid back and has an office in NYC in addition to his Jersey office.

I'm in Philly and open to bribes of Scotch.

Peace.
Cayenne wrote:
Hagbard wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Qigong-Health-Wel ... 104&sr=1-3

Hagbard, thanks for this link. Like Dr. Donkey Love, I picked up the book as well. I recently began the simple standing exercises from Kam Chuen Lam's "Way of Energy" and I plan to go through the Hou book thoroughly to see what I can get from it. I realize that in almost everything, learning from a book has limitations, but I'm trying to live the "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" approach espoused by Teddy Roosevelt. (Moreover, I have some nascent health issues that medical doctors have nothing beyond, "we'll just keep an eye on those" to offer, that I would love to heal via enhanced approaches to breathing/moving, etc.)

As a newbie to Qi teachings, I am hoping to avoid a crazy-making and ineffective ADD approach to learning, and I'm hoping to find an "inch wide and mile deep approach" of a very basic and powerful practice.

I live on Long Island in NY and Mr. Hou is about 2 hours from me, so I am open to some level of personal instruction.

I would appreciate if you could please elaborate as fully as you care to about your experience with Mr. Hou.

Thanks!
?

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:42 am

A different version of the Ba Duan Jin than I've been doing for years. I try to use at as an add on a few times/week.

I don't know anything about Jake Mace but I find value in this. I like the dynamic tension and doing things on the balls of my feet have definitely improved my balance.