New sport

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice

New sport

Post by dingleberry » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:11 pm

Started fencing.

My oldest son has been doing it for a little over 2 years and my youngest expressed interest around January with the condition I try it with him.

It's fucking fun. I stopped doing BJJ/Muy Thai because of my many nagging chronic injuries and have been just exercising for about 4 years. This fills the need I have for a competitive combat sport without the constant physical damage.

It's all strategy and timing. I hope to compete at my first tournament in June.

My exercise focus needs to change from strength to flexibility, agility and muscle endurance though.
nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: New sport

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:59 pm

A friend of mine fences, and his daughter did it for a while too, doesn't compete though.

mike.b
Staff Sergeant

Post by mike.b » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:39 pm

Favgs

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:16 pm

My cousin trained and competed all the way through college.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:19 pm

There's a Historical European Martial Arts chapter that trains in town. On the one hand it's probably a lot of fun and I'm interested in trying it, but on the other I don't need another expensive hobby, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a bunch of nerds who are making it up as they go along.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:27 pm

WildGorillaMan wrote:There's a Historical European Martial Arts chapter that trains in town. On the one hand it's probably a lot of fun and I'm interested in trying it, but on the other I don't need another expensive hobby, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a bunch of nerds who are making it up as they go along.
This!

Rapier and dagger fencing is fucking AWESOME.

dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice

Post by dingleberry » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:22 pm

Epee is most like the rapier when it comes to scoring. Sabre and foil have right of way rules to determine scoring.
nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:09 pm

dingleberry wrote:Started fencing.

My oldest son has been doing it for a little over 2 years and my youngest expressed interest around January with the condition I try it with him.
I had a couple karate teammates get into it, I think both got scholarships and one ended up on a div 1 championship team.
WGM wrote:There's a Historical European Martial Arts chapter that trains in town. On the one hand it's probably a lot of fun and I'm interested in trying it, but on the other I don't need another expensive hobby, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a bunch of nerds who are making it up as they go along.
I've got one of those nearby, and the crowd is not exactly ex-athletes. It's probably fun and you can give some nerds with ponytails a reality check.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:11 pm

There was a guy who ran the fencing club when I was in college that consisted of him and random chunky girls with matted hair, acne and fat fingers.

He'd go to the weight room in what looked like ballet slippers and do a bunch of weird shit out of some old book he had.

That's all I know about fencing.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:56 pm

What the fuck is everyone talking about "fencing"? I put up miles of that shit when I was a kid working on the farm moving cattle around. It's pretty fucking simple: lay out your wire, anchor it to your corner posts, use a come-along to tighten it up, drop off your metal posts with reasonable spacing between, come back through and drive the post in the ground with a small sledge and attach the wire. Hook up the fence charger, check that it's hot and then go up to the house for something to eat. I don't see why this needs to be practiced. WTF?

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:09 pm

If You need a new sport, watch the movie "Blunt Force Trauma" It's on Netflix.
Two shooters put up money, stand in circles about 30 ft apart with body armor on and shoot each other with pistols cross body draw. If you shoot the other guy in the head and kill him, you lose the money. only body shots into the armor vest allowed. And those knock you down hurting like hell.
Surprise ending you can't miss.
Shaf and Blade Dog are going to enter that. Fencing is only for pussies.
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:25 am

dingleberry wrote: I stopped doing BJJ/Muy Thai because of my many nagging chronic injuries and have been just exercising for about 4 years. This fills the need I have for a competitive combat sport without the constant physical damage.
Just out of curiosity, how long had you been doing BJJ? I keep hearing from training partners how long you can do it at a decent level w/o getting dinged. Reality testing that notion.

Andy, Shut your fuckhole. No one cares how loud you flap your colostomy bag.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:17 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
dingleberry wrote: I stopped doing BJJ/Muy Thai because of my many nagging chronic injuries and have been just exercising for about 4 years. This fills the need I have for a competitive combat sport without the constant physical damage.
Just out of curiosity, how long had you been doing BJJ? I keep hearing from training partners how long you can do it at a decent level w/o getting dinged. Reality testing that notion.

I rolled for a little more than 8 years and walked away cold turkey. Toes, fingers, right elbow, neck, left knee. No surgeries needed, at the time, but I saw the writing on the wall. Yes, you can dial it back and train easy, roll light and only with the guys you want to but that wasn't working for me at the time.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:37 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
I found that was a common selling point that wasn't borne out in reality.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:59 am

Shapecharge wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

I rolled for a little more than 8 years and walked away cold turkey. Toes, fingers, right elbow, neck, left knee. No surgeries needed, at the time, but I saw the writing on the wall. Yes, you can dial it back and train easy, roll light and only with the guys you want to but that wasn't working for me at the time.
BD's possible future experience will mirror Shape's because he is hyper competitive and can't just have fun. You are going to have nagging issues with BJJ and they won't be worth it if you don't love it. Much akin to being a cop or teacher if there's no "calling" you're going to be a miserable prick or in BD's case even more of a miserable prick than he already is and I'm talking him turning into BD82 level prickishness.

You can't try to keep up with 20 year old wrestlers/full time BJJ fags/punk ass kids with optimal physical abilities and when you get your ass handed to you by them you don't get your pussy all swollen and stomp out. You accept the fact that your below average genetics and sub par athleticism weren't enough and you either learn from it and work to improve your technique to get around your shortcomings or you eventually accept the fact that you aren't going to beat them consistently if ever and accept being the baddest motherfucker at your kids soccer game among men 40+ or you quit and go onto something else like recreational camping and anal rape.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:49 am

Blade. When you say "no one", you mean your lonesome self don't you? If I had a colostomy bag, I would always send you the contents for you to eat.
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:08 am

Holland Oates wrote:BD's possible future experience will mirror Shape's because he is hyper competitive and can't just have fun..
Umm... Bro. Seriously Bro. Fuckndik

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:28 am

Shapecharge wrote:What the fuck is everyone talking about "fencing"? I put up miles of that shit when I was a kid working on the farm moving cattle around. It's pretty fucking simple: lay out your wire, anchor it to your corner posts, use a come-along to tighten it up, drop off your metal posts with reasonable spacing between, come back through and drive the post in the ground with a small sledge and attach the wire. Hook up the fence charger, check that it's hot and then go up to the house for something to eat. I don't see why this needs to be practiced. WTF?
=D> =D> =D>

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:38 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Holland Oates wrote:BD's possible future experience will mirror Shape's because he is hyper competitive and can't just have fun..
Umm... Bro. Seriously Bro. Fuckndik
LOL

I am only giving my personal opinion. If you love the art but not the competition your journey will be different. I'm transitioning now. Soon I'll get my boobs.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:42 am

The worst scenario is you love both the art and the competition and fucking wreck yourself beating up old fuckers at tournaments.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:53 am

Holland Oates wrote:I am only giving my personal opinion. If you love the art but not the competition your journey will be different. I'm transitioning now. Soon I'll get my boobs.
Bailey Oates. I love it! Can I have a post-op pic?

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:09 pm

Since we're all bro's now talking about our feelings I will admit that stepping away from bjj was not so much about the nagging little dings and the possibility of things worse to come but more about the continual competitive pressure to perform every single moment I was on the mat. I caught the very first wave of the bjj explosion around '94 and started training with Carlos Machado. There was Carlos, a couple of blue belts he promoted and then the rest of us knuckleheads. Other than some wrestlers and judo players everyone was starting from scratch. I later transitioned to another gym and settled in. I was reasonably adept and I picked up a decent skill set...however the art has evolved so much that at my best I would get murdered today no doubt. As I advanced skill wise the competitive pressure grew. This was really my issue which perhaps in retrospect I blew up way more than was necessary. Where were you fucking guys when I needed you?

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:19 pm

Holland Oates wrote: You are going to have nagging issues with BJJ and they won't be worth it if you don't love it. Much akin to being a cop or teacher if there's no "calling" you're going to be a miserable prick or in BD's case even more of a miserable prick than he already is and I'm talking him turning into BD82 level prickishness.

You can't try to keep up with 20 year old wrestlers/full time BJJ fags/punk ass kids with optimal physical abilities and when you get your ass handed to you by them you don't get your pussy all swollen and stomp out.
^^^ Pretty much. There was one time when I called the roll short and stomped out. Other times when I hated myself for not performing to standard.
Like Shape said, your ego can suck the joy from rolling.

Beyond that, there is a beautiful flow & efficiency to grappling done well. I imagine the same for surfing, or any activity with a flow.

As far as the ego-feeding aspect: for a non-imposing looking guy like me, there is a joy to putting the Big Surprise to a younger (they're all younger) and stronger partner.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice

Post by dingleberry » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:44 pm

I participated actively for about 10 years. Actively means 3-6 tournaments a year. I started 15 years ago or so when I was 33. The end for me was sparring with a friend who was 10 or 12 years younger than me who put me in a gentle heelhook and me being a fucktard and trying to escape by rolling the wrong way.

Felt the pop and lost 8 days of work. I am a firefighter, so that was close to a month. Couldn't train for probably two months and then BJJ politics happened and my coach changed gyms and blah, blah, blah. Dabbled after but the thrill was gone.

Was told at the time that I needed surgery for torn meniscus but I haven't had it yet. Knee is still fucked though and I go through days where it is painful to bend or not able to bend at all. Right shoulder is screwed as well and neither arm will straighten at the elbow all the way from quick arm bars.

But at least I have my health.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:58 pm

dingleberry wrote:I participated actively for about 10 years. Actively means 3-6 tournaments a year. I started 15 years ago or so when I was 33. The end for me was sparring with a friend who was 10 or 12 years younger than me who put me in a gentle heelhook and me being a fucktard and trying to escape by rolling the wrong way.

Felt the pop and lost 8 days of work. I am a firefighter, so that was close to a month. Couldn't train for probably two months and then BJJ politics happened and my coach changed gyms and blah, blah, blah. Dabbled after but the thrill was gone.

Was told at the time that I needed surgery for torn meniscus but I haven't had it yet. Knee is still fucked though and I go through days where it is painful to bend or not able to bend at all. Right shoulder is screwed as well and neither arm will straighten at the elbow all the way from quick arm bars.

But at least I have my health.

Tnx for the context. Hope your knee responds to whatever treatment you go with.