Hamstring issues

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Hamstring issues

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:23 am

I have tweaked/strained both hamstrings several times over the past year, which seems excessive to me. I'm wondering if I have some sort of imbalance or something?

-I strained it pretty bad running sprints with the football team I was helping coach about a year and a half ago. I know this was caused from starting the sprints with no warm-up at all on a pretty chilly evening. This was the worst one and took a couple of weeks before it felt okay.

-Back in early and mid February I had to cut my TBDL 50/20 sessions short due to feeling a twinge in my left hamstring.

-Last night during my U12 (10-12 year olds) soccer practice I felt a painful pull in my right hamstring during the scrimmage. We are always short a couple of players for a full scrimmage so the other coach and I will run scrimmage with the team. It is still bothering me some.

-Tonight while running a scrimmage with my U8 soccer team I felt a twinge in my lower left hamstring. I wasn't even running, it was more of a trot, which was weird.

So I'm wondering if it's an imbalance of some sort? Could it be weak glutes, even though I do lots of TBDL, goblet squats, and swing type kb lifts? Tight quads? Not enough stretching and hamstrings too tight? I stretch a decent bit.

Could it have something to do with starting back mountain biking?

I used the rumble roller tonight and my glutes, quads and calf muscles were really painful when rolled.

Something has got to be off. I'm getting tired of this happening every so often and really want to address it so it will no longer be an issue. Btw, most of the time it has been a Grade 1 strain.
TIA,
Mickey

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Re: Hamstring issues

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:25 am

I always battled the tight hamstrings when I was cycling a lot.

Stretching never helped much. Rolling was a little better. Actual massage to get the entire hip/hamstring area loose was the best.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:45 am

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/06/0 ... aver/?_r=0

"In a 2011 study, 942 Danish soccer players were randomly assigned to either an off-season program of the Nordic exercise or normal training. In the subsequent season, those following the Nordic exercise program experienced 70 percent fewer injuries than the control-group athletes. Players who had previously suffered hamstring damage saw 85 percent fewer injuries."

This link has a more clear cut description of the program:

http://www.ctgdevelopment.net/members/i ... ury.10.pdf

Week 1 = 2 sets of 5, 1 Day per Week
Week 2 = 2 sets of 6, 2 Days per Week
......rest of the progression is in the link.

Of course, be careful.
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:09 am

Wear shorter shorts-it might not help with the hamstring issues,but you will get all the MILFs salivating.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:40 am

Maybe too many GS explosive hinge lifts?

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:32 am

You're over 40 and you're a cyclist primarily, when you do kb work it's GS.

Ergo: no surprise, You have relatively weak hamstrings.

Everyone has muscle imbalances, the problem is never that something is too strong it's that some other thing is freakishly weak and remains so because you can use your strength to work around it....until you can't.

Brams Nordic skiing study is case in point. Classic Xcountry is a lot of posterior chain... Which is revealed in their excercise selection. A little bit of posterior chain work fixes these cycling weaknesses. This weakness is the same issue that causes you back pump on sustained seated climbing.

Easy fix if you pay attention to the obvious.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:47 pm

Why would my hamstrings be weak given that I do TBDLs and a relatively good amount of KB work that hits my posterior/hamstrings?

So you're saying I need to do more direct hamstring work; RDLs or single and/or stiff leg DLs and some type of hamstring curls?

I am about to start DeFranco's Built to Last program sometime in the next week or so and it does include movements that hit these areas. I will be doing more JS band flexibility stretching as well.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:You're over 40 and you're a cyclist primarily, when you do kb work it's GS.

Ergo: no surprise, You have relatively weak hamstrings.

Everyone has muscle imbalances, the problem is never that something is too strong it's that some other thing is freakishly weak and remains so because you can use your strength to work around it....until you can't.

Brams Nordic skiing study is case in point. Classic Xcountry is a lot of posterior chain... Which is revealed in their excercise selection. A little bit of posterior chain work fixes these cycling weaknesses. This weakness is the same issue that causes you back pump on sustained seated climbing.

Easy fix if you pay attention to the obvious.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:53 pm

This could be possible as well, SubClaw. Although, I have taken a break recently from GS training, but have been doing quite a bit of swings/goblet squat superset workouts.

I've also been doing quite a few weighted step-ups/squats per Furman's 'Naked From The Waist Down' program.

NFTWD: 30# x 50/50 step-ups / 100 squats
SubClaw wrote:Maybe too many GS explosive hinge lifts?

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:04 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:So you're saying I need to do more direct hamstring work; RDLs or single and/or stiff leg DLs and some type of hamstring curls?
EVEN LOUEY SIMONS HAS HIS GUYZ DO 200 LEG CURLZ WITH 10 AND 20 POUND WAITS ON THEYRE ANKELS TO BUILD CONNECTION TISSUES SO THERE MUST BE SOMETHING TO IT IF LOUIS IS HAVING HIS HAWDCOAR GUYZ DOIN THAT KIND OF GAY SHITE.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:40 pm

Two areas i would look; knee stability and actual hamstring focused work. TBDL is more quad than regular DL. GHR, one leg DL, and RDL done light and strict will tell the tale. Put the foam roller on a box or the landing of your steps and roll your ham that way, or get a cheap rolling pin from a dollar store and roll those babies.

And warm up before practice. Your old.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:12 pm

What Jack said.

Your work is more quad dominant than you think. And you are a cyclist. And you keep tweaking your hamstrings.

They are weak. You don't have to go crazy with hamstring excercise but the hamstring work you are currently doing does not cut it. Guess how I know?

And for fux sake warm up.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:59 pm

Hahaha! Duly noted both BD and Jack. Thanks you as well, Bram, for the linkage to that article and PDF.

Thanks, guys!
Blaidd Drwg wrote:What Jack said.

Your work is more quad dominant than you think. And you are a cyclist. And you keep tweaking your hamstrings.

They are weak. You don't have to go crazy with hamstring excercise but the hamstring work you are currently doing does not cut it. Guess how I know?

And for fux sake warm up.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:37 pm

Bram wrote:http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/06/0 ... aver/?_r=0

"In a 2011 study, 942 Danish soccer players were randomly assigned to either an off-season program of the Nordic exercise or normal training. In the subsequent season, those following the Nordic exercise program experienced 70 percent fewer injuries than the control-group athletes. Players who had previously suffered hamstring damage saw 85 percent fewer injuries."

Of course, be careful.
That reminds me of a rehab I did for a fubar achilles tendon, consisting of eccentric heel drops. It worked.
http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-scien ... -years-lat
Don’t believe everything you think.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:54 pm

I hate stretching, but I'll actually do the 12 minute Foundation Training workout. At the parts where I fold forward and stretch the hamstrings, I do it to the point they shake. Don't know why, but that's been magic manna for my [edit- hammies] and knees.
Last edited by Turdacious on Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:23 am

They already are, Bobby.
Bobby wrote:Wear shorter shorts-it might not help with the hamstring issues,but you will get all the MILFs salivating.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:25 am

Good stuff, Bram. Thanks!
Bram wrote:http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/06/0 ... aver/?_r=0

Of course, be careful.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:28 am

Mickey O'neil wrote:They already are, Bobby.
Bobby wrote:Wear shorter shorts-it might not help with the hamstring issues,but you will get all the MILFs salivating.
I suspected your FB pages was basically one craigslist ad trolling for suburban milfs.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:42 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:They already are, Bobby.
I suspected your FB pages was basically one craigslist ad trolling for suburban milfs.
You're very perceptive. That's also why I coach soccer, football, and basketball. I kid, but you wouldn't believe the number of friend requests and subsequent messages I got from some of the moms of the kids I was coaching in football. I never really expected that.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:38 pm

Dic pics or GTFO.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:29 pm

Hahahaha! I have to keep those on the DL.
Shapecharge wrote:Dic pics or GTFO.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:39 pm

Mickey...

This might be useful to you in thinking about how to rehab it the next time it gets tweaked.
Sugiura et al44 performed a prospective study of elite sprinters to determine a relationship between strength and hamstring injury within 12 months of testing. This was the first study to examine the concentric and eccentric isokinetic strength of the hip extensors, quadriceps, and hamstrings that reflects their actions in late swing or early contact. Testing was performed on 30 male elite sprinters. Injuries occurred in six subjects. Eccentric weakness of the hamstrings at 608 per second was found to be a common factor among those who sustained injuries. Side to side comparison revealed that the injury always occurred on the weaker side. Similar findings were elucidated by Orchard et al51 who found that hamstring muscle injury was associated with low hamstring-to-quadriceps ratio at 608 per second on the injured side and a low side-to-side peak torque at 608 per second in a group of Australian football players. Therefore, it may be advantageous to include eccentric training as part of either a training regimen or rehabilitation protocol to minimize asymmetries or to help maximize strength gains.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3105370/

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:13 pm

Nice! Thanks, BD!

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:48 pm

You know what I'm going to suggest.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:37 pm

Holland Oates wrote:You know what I'm going to suggest.

More potassium?

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:52 pm

Holland Oates wrote:
Holland Oates wrote:Have you tried not being a faggot?
I'm going to stop helping you if you aren't going to take my advice.
I'm really going to stop.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality