ACL Injuries

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

ACL Injuries

Post by JohnDoe » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:48 pm

In the vein of knees and hamstrings, I've been seeing more and more kids with ACLs blown out in high school. I've taught at two schools w/ 450 kids and it's at least two a year for the past five, six, seven years. What's going on? My pet theory is that specialization is the key culprit (not a very impressive deduction, I know) but I've also wondered if kids are better at the skill (cutting, juking) than their muscles allow. I'm not sure it makes sense, but is it possible to be good at a movement that your body can't handle?

Maybe it's been a constant, but I don't remember anywhere near this many kids hobbling around when I was in school 20 years ago.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: ACL Injuries

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:34 pm

Specialization and just not ready for it due to the sedentary lifestyle compared to years ago

Spiller
Corporal

Post by Spiller » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:02 am

Shaf nailed it.

I dig big chicks
Staff Sergeant

Post by I dig big chicks » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:36 am

I tore my ACL when I was 16 and, at the time, I was the third athlete at my high school in three years to have a tear. That was 1990, so it was a while ago. Each one of my cousins tore their ACLs playing soccer in the 2000s, though.

For me, the issue was a very weak back and hamstrings. For them, it was an overall lack of strength and their early specialization. None played other sports, except for an occasional season long foray into wrestling or track.

From 2006-8 I worked at a High School where Girl's basketball pretty serious. The school had no weight room, but the coach wanted his players to work with a friend of his who had a program for ACL health. The trainer had the players do bodyweight squats onto a stability ball, do a ton of step ups on a bosu, and other such stuff. He had at least one ACL tear a year to his starting five. I worked with two of the players for all three years I was there, and two there for two years, and we did squats, cleans, etc. We also worked for flexibility. The players I worked with never got seriously injured. The boys I worked with also stayed healthy. In college, our basketball team averaged an ACL tear per year for 12 years, and when they hired the strength coach, he had one in 11 years.

So good strength and mobility can help prevent, but dumb shit encourages injuries. I see more kids doing dumb sgit under the guise of "sports performance" than I see kids doing smart training. Mych of the sports performance I see three days is @fit based, and many @fit coaches claim sports performance knowledge with no education outside of @fit. On the other hand, there is an enormous Sports Performance gym around me which charges $250/ kid and they have no real program to work with kids weaknesses.