Progressing someone on assisted squats/inverted rows/pushups

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

milosz

Progressing someone on assisted squats/inverted rows/pushups

Post by milosz » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:18 am

One of my employees was well into morbidly obese, got lap band surgery and has dropped 150 or so, down to the mid-to-high 200s. Sum total of his working out has been walking, he wants to do more but he doesn't want to join a gym yet.

Couldn't do a pushup, air squats are doable but not in large quantities without his knees hurting (according to him). I gave him a door pullup bar, knockoff TRX thing and a Sling Shot as a bonus.

Basically I figure he can start doing inverted rows, assisted squats and pushups with the SlingShot but I'm not sure what I can write down as a simple progression for him.

spitballing
3x10 on inverted rows, lengthen the straps when he gets all of them, at some point start doing dead hangs and working toward a pull up.
sets of 10 on the pushups, add a set when he makes all 10 until he works up to 5x10, try every workout to do them without the Sling Shot?
assisted squats - sets, or just have him do as many as possible as the last exercise, counting his way up?

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Progressing someone on assisted squats/inverted rows/pushups

Post by Bram » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:46 am

Inverted Rows should be fine as is, add negative chins when he's ready (maybe a few months), but keep rows in still
Substitute push-ups from knees for regular push-ups until he can do 20 with good form and ROM, then progress to regular push-ups
Substitute step ups for squats

I've gotten plenty of people to do their first chin-up, the heaviest was 245lbs. And plenty of people to 20+ good ROM push-ups using the above strategies.

Step ups are usually easy on everyone's knees, though the height may have to start low.

YMMV
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:21 am

Couple ideas. I've worked with some folks in similar situations. There is nothing inherently adaptive about high rep sets with minimal load. When starting with a deeply detrained individual think about what you're trying to accomplish.

Reps don't burn calories, given his terrible form (knees hurt) and his changing body comp, his core and consequently his form on nearly every excercise is going to be shabby. When I've done this, whether it's an older detrained person or a kid we always start with low reps, (3 to 6) and focus on crisp execution. The way to keep these challenging is to limit rest.

Ergo: density format. Sets of 3 to 6, with a total number of reps per movement capped between 20 and 30.... On the assisted stuff like chins work this range up to over 50 over time. For big moves keep it under 40 and increase ROM, then add a pause then add load.

Again the goal is to develop whole body strength... 3 sets of 10 works once you have developed that foundation.

In terms of the squat, teach him stripper squats using a door jamb and then progress to a high bench then low box then take the box away.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:59 am

Just get him a copy of Furman's Armor of War. Simple progressions on the exact exercises you mention. And like BD said, it works with the idea of building to a rep count with lower reps and higher sets. Just have him stay at an exercise progression that suits his ROM and stability and ad external resistance rather than move on to more difficult variations.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:15 pm

Set a bar in a power rack. He puts his hands on it and does his pushups. As he gets stronger, lower the bar, one pin hole at a time.

Set a bar in a power rack. He holds onto it and does his inverted rows. As he gets stronger, lower the bar, one pin hole at a time.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:59 pm

Testiclaw wrote:Set a bar in a power rack. He puts his hands on it and does his pushups. As he gets stronger, lower the bar, one pin hole at a time.

Set a bar in a power rack. He holds onto it and does his inverted rows. As he gets stronger, lower the bar, one pin hole at a time.
Super good point. There are so many ways to progress a movement OTHER than sets and reps. Time, rest, pauses, extended ROM, decreased ROM, angles grip....

dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice

Post by dingleberry » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:54 pm

+1 for Armor of War. It has multiple progressions with managed rest times. I've recommended it to several un/detrained friends as a good place to begin.
nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

milosz

Post by milosz » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:56 am

Thanks folks, bought Armor of War tonight.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:27 pm

For a general help to this guy, hitting the stairs wherever he can might be surprisingly helpful.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:07 pm

As I read through, AOW also came to mind. I might also suggest, if he's amenable and able, YRG to work on his mobility.
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:19 pm

DrDonkeyLove wrote:For a general help to this guy, hitting the stairs wherever he can might be surprisingly helpful.

Most useful tip so far.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:51 pm

I list more graded exercise choices for beginners in the FAQ of AOW. If you can't find it.. hit me up for a link.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America