Hybrid Athlete......

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21193
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:12 pm

I used to have all sorts of advice on rugby S&C. Now it's run far, run fast,(two separate things) lift heavy, stretch.

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21193
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:12 pm

You know, I would go to Gray Cook in his capacity as a PT.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19097
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:13 pm

The book Viada didn't write is probably the most interesting....

what hard androgens will allow you to get a decent PL total without killing your 10k time?

Gray is a great PT.

Gray is a PT

Therein lies the problem
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

User avatar
WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9951
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by WildGorillaMan » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:38 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote: Those Sorin guys will believe almost anything if it has a mustache involved.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Image
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

climber511
Gunny
Posts: 961
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by climber511 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:03 pm

If I understand it all - it's lift weights and do aerobics - correct? Hell I've done that my whole live and couldn't keep up with those guys for a minute.

Some of those Rugby guys are tanks - really fast tanks - but tanks none the less.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19097
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:03 pm

climber511 wrote:If I understand it all - it's lift weights and do aerobics - correct? Hell I've done that my whole live and couldn't keep up with those guys for a minute.

Some of those Rugby guys are tanks - really fast tanks - but tanks none the less.

yES...
BUT NO....

But yes...

But No.

I think what you have done is pretty far out on the bell curve. I do think that the question of how to blend above average endurance and above average strength...like lets say near Elite Status in PL and Keep up with the Cat 3 pack in a bike race is a legit question.

training to get to those or near those or nudging those?? To me that's an intriguing question. I don't think Alex is there but he might be close.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19097
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:05 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
milosz wrote:Which podcast?
Travis Mash's I think...

The Barbell Life. Mar 11.
Caveat....It's a terrible terrible horrid Crossfit apologetic podcast. I found Travis to be tedious beyond measure but I found Alex interesting in spite of it.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

climber511
Gunny
Posts: 961
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by climber511 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:46 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
climber511 wrote:If I understand it all - it's lift weights and do aerobics - correct? Hell I've done that my whole live and couldn't keep up with those guys for a minute.

Some of those Rugby guys are tanks - really fast tanks - but tanks none the less.

yES...
BUT NO....

But yes...

But No.

I think what you have done is pretty far out on the bell curve. I do think that the question of how to blend above average endurance and above average strength...like lets say near Elite Status in PL and Keep up with the Cat 3 pack in a bike race is a legit question.

training to get to those or near those or nudging those?? To me that's an intriguing question. I don't think Alex is there but he might be close.
It's going to take someone with some pretty special gifts to even approach Elite in both "at the exact same time". But I am fascinated with what it will take to even get close to it. The first thing is that you have to get close to elite in just one or the other before you can have a chance at both - and that in itself is a pretty good challenge.

User avatar
Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 14137
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:32 am
Location: GAWD'S Country
Contact:

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Holland Oates » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:51 pm

I listened to Alex on a podcast with some Brits and the Iron Cowboy. He actually asked questions I wanted to hear while the Brits were just asking typical questions. I don't know why but I really like the guy. But right now he covers about 3/4 of my current interests so maybe it's more applicable than I thought.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19097
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:53 pm

I'm working towards an "Elite" total in PL this year (whatever the fuck that means) and I've raced MTB's under the old NORBA standards as a Pro/Elite.

I literally cannot begin to fathom how I could get anywhere near either of those at the same time. Those efforts are almost 20 years apart. I could see being a near Elite levels of strength as a Cat 1 trackie but even then, you'd better have a 700 plus squat and a near 800 DL in order to offset the shitty bench you'd have.


HO:

Iron Cowboy?
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

User avatar
Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 14137
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:32 am
Location: GAWD'S Country
Contact:

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Holland Oates » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:14 pm

50 Triathlons(kind of) in 50 days in 50 states. His body comp change was interesting due to the extreme workload and how he adapted his eating to accommodate that.

I'll try and find a link.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19097
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:37 pm

An Elite time for the 1Kilo TT on a wooden velodrome is 1 minute 5. An outdoor concrete velodrome is probably more like 1 minute 10.

An Elite Raw (kneewraps) total in USPA (drgpigs) at 198 is 1587 (or broken out into elite moves separately, 669sq/425b/584dl)

To get within 97% of that would be pretty damn good.

So lets say 1:15 seconds in the Kilo and 1540 Raw total.......That seems very very hard to do within a given year unless you're a freak 190# cyclist with an 750 DL.

Hmmmmmmmm....Now what should numbers be if you are and OldeTymer?
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21193
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:00 am

Those two fucking clowns kill me.

Let's say they have Dr. Oz on as a guest.

'Wha you fink abou French fries as a fuel for puhfowmence?'
'I like 'em mesewf"
"Not you Ya bleed in' cunt! I'm askin him!'
'Well I fink my opinyun is valid too, you twat.'

User avatar
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6779
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Dunn » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:30 am

Holland Oates wrote:I listened to Alex on a podcast with some Brits and the Iron Cowboy. He actually asked questions I wanted to hear while the Brits were just asking typical questions. I don't know why but I really like the guy. But right now he covers about 3/4 of my current interests so maybe it's more applicable than I thought.
Same. He seems to be straddling some pretty interesting territories. At 160 lbs I've hit a total of about 1100 or so while keeping competitive with Cat criterium racing along with some cyclocross. I was also 23-25. I can't fathom doing that much training now, and neither of those are especially impressive. With GS and BJJ my goal is to keep pushing the strength-endurance envelop and work technique to hell and back. The result seems to be a decent base from which to propel towards the random shit l interests I find myself drawn to. Seeing this bastard do this shit is awesome.

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21193
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:56 am

I think he's essentially done, though. Necrotic hip, etc...

User avatar
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6779
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Dunn » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:59 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I think he's essentially done, though. Necrotic hip, etc...
No doubt. I can't fathom that doing this shit long term is ridiculously unhealthy. Going full retard never is.

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21193
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:01 am

That podcasts discusses longevity...kind of 'don't sacrifice your future for sport'

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19097
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:06 am

But the real question is.....how retarded can you get before your hip is necrotic?
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19097
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:08 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I think he's essentially done, though. Necrotic hip, etc...

he's still repping squats in the 6's though?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm......................

More questions than antsers there my freng..
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

climber511
Gunny
Posts: 961
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by climber511 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:20 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:An Elite time for the 1Kilo TT on a wooden velodrome is 1 minute 5. An outdoor concrete velodrome is probably more like 1 minute 10.

An Elite Raw (kneewraps) total in USPA (drgpigs) at 198 is 1587 (or broken out into elite moves separately, 669sq/425b/584dl)

To get within 97% of that would be pretty damn good.

So lets say 1:15 seconds in the Kilo and 1540 Raw total.......That seems very very hard to do within a given year unless you're a freak 190# cyclist with an 750 DL.

Hmmmmmmmm....Now what should numbers be if you are and OldeTymer?
How old :). Wait enough years and maybe - just maybe :) What is "Elite" if you're 80 or so?

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19097
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:55 am

It does boggle
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

User avatar
Testiclaw
Top
Posts: 1844
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:30 pm
Location: Between the thighs, taint, and retractable claw.

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Testiclaw » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:07 am

Wait...who here trained the Marisa chick?

Isn't CWS tapping that, now?
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19097
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:09 am

That's a heinous visual.

In
For
Give
Able
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

User avatar
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7964
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:46 pm
Location: TX

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:41 pm

Like Alex's stuff. Seems to be a smart guy. And will give him benefit of doubt.

BUT, unless you are starting from a healthy and preferably young place, his training would set most people back.

But not a fraud, and on the interwebz that is a big plus.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19097
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Hybrid Athlete......

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:49 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:Like Alex's stuff. Seems to be a smart guy. And will give him benefit of doubt.

BUT, unless you are starting from a healthy and preferably young place, his training would set most people back.

But not a fraud, and on the interwebz that is a big plus.
Set you back from what? You mean if you started as a hybrid athlete from the get go? you'd be set back from ..baseline?
Or do you mean if you were already a runner and added PL? or vice versa? I'm a little in the dark as I haven't read his book only reviewed some of his training ideas and articles. which are sparse.

Seems like if you were in the first camp, it'd be easier to start young and healthy but then...everything is easier.


My experience has been that adding anything to an established system, especially a new sport (no matter how related) always sets you back a little, sometimes a lot.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Post Reply