magnificent Mobility?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bob Wildes

magnificent Mobility?

Post by Bob Wildes » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:50 pm

What do you chest greasy lie men have to say about this DVD?
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

Testiclaw

Re: magnificent Mobility?

Post by Testiclaw » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:55 pm

Nothing that isn't freely available online.

Honestly, I think most mobility stuff is bullshit. I used to do tons and tons of it. Granted, the sample size here is 1, but, I instead worked on figuring out which two stretches for my upper body, and two for my lower body, reduced pain or discomfort the most.

And then I diligently progressed on those.

Almost, eh, 85% of my mobility issues have resolved themselves.

For what it's worth;

Upperbody,
Lat/tricep stretch with a band
External rotation/pec stretch with two looped bands

Lower,
Calf stretching & ankle flossing
Hip flexor/quad/couch stretch

I do foam rolling, only for my quad and IT band. If there aren't any sore spots I don't really roll that long. If there are, I'll roll until they dissipate.

I've become far more comfortable than when I did a lot of drills and activations and a laundry list of stretches.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:09 pm

Spot on, Testesclawd

The lat tri stretch is arm overhead and behind you, right?

Starrett is the emperor with no clothes. He's probably set back physical therapy 2 decades with some of his shit. He talks a good game about working with athletes, but basically he's just showing hurt Crossfitters how to stretch.

The breathing shit everyone is clamoring about is mostly bullshit too. You fucking know how to breath. Like 5% or less of people breath dysfunctionally if that. Check it out right now. See where your breath is going? Lower lungs/diaphragm. I have only seen one really dysfunctional breather who used his traps to breath.

Now, learning how to stabilize the spine with circumferential breathing...that works and is worth learning how you do it if you don't automatically do it now.

I remember Mel Siff talking about the breathing shit with regards to Paul Chek...Mel posted vids and pictures of the best olympic lifters in the world and showed how they didn't 'draw in their TA' or do anything but 'set' the core and then lift.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:10 pm

Like I've said before...if Donnie Thompson isn't doing it, then it's probably shit. And most of Donnies shit came straight from Hartzel...same with Starrett...Starrett's gotten rich repackaging the shit Dick Hartzell basically gave away.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:16 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Spot on, Testesclawd

The lat tri stretch is arm overhead and behind you, right?
Yeah, but, I use a strong band looped under my foot and over my shoulder, so that the shoulder is kept depressed while the arm is overhead.

I'll actually get a picture of the other pec stretch I do. I haven't seen it anywhere else, and there's a subtle little detail.

It might actually feel good for you, Shaf.

I'll be training later, so I'll snap a few pictures. Maybe I'll get a hot CF chick to demo it.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:19 pm

Recently I read some shit that made a lot of sense in a way I'd never thought about it. My issues are, as I get into it for the millionth time...pec minor and lat tightness coupled with super shitty weakness of certain back muscles (the ones that work when you do YWTLs and blackburns)

I would like to see it though.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:22 pm

I hear you.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:29 pm

Pick something out and try it. Some moves work better for some people than others. i like Starrett's Hip Stuff, some of DDP's Yoga, a lot of Hartzell's Band work amd actually the shoulder dislocate reps from Doggcrap.

Trial and error, like a lot of things.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:32 pm

Awesome replies. Thanks gents.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:38 pm

That's the thing...what works for someone isn't going to work for someone else, necessarily.

DDP Yoga tends to be so general, it gets stuff many people need. Mobility RX by Mark Lauren his the big areas most people have issues with...thoracic, hip flexor/quad, ankles, hip rotation, cuffs,etc

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:39 pm

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:49 pm

[quote="Shafpocalypse Now"]That's the thing...what works for someone isn't going to work for someone else [\quote]

Super true. I've tried many bread and butter moves from other tool kits and got fuck all and then Spidermonkeys suggestion to use a homemade clubbell for shield casts got me to be able to actually bench after a 20 year hiatus. I'd like to flesh out the rest of my routine with similarly effective moves but it takes a lot of patient experimentation.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Boris

Post by Boris » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:57 pm

Here's stuff I actually do and do often. Mantle stretches (that's what I call them) are another thing I do (not illustrated here).
http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2009/04/dai ... ength.html

Boris

Post by Boris » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:08 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote: Starrett is the emperor with no clothes. He's probably set back physical therapy 2 decades with some of his shit. He talks a good game about working with athletes, but basically he's just showing hurt Crossfitters how to stretch.
Totally true.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:37 pm

The club and mace shit? Not seeming to be working for me.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:44 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:The club and mace shit? Not seeming to be working for me.

Out of the 5 or 6 people I got to try it, two of use like it, everyone else is meh. The Duffin mace I liked fine but found actual highland hammer winds were better and I don't have room for those inside (confirmed with a glancing blow to the joists in my first floor)
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:46 pm

Two moves that are currently gold I stole from Coach Sommers. Dumbbell, [light] one arm forward and reverse rotations. Then do a STRAIGHT LEGGED, Windmill. Focus on the lead leg versus rear leg, but still hinging. Like a sloppy yoga triangle. Reach down that leg and do a couple reps then switch legs. Shoulder and gluteal/hamstring manna.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:16 pm

TomFurman wrote:Two moves that are currently gold I stole from Coach Sommers. Dumbbell, [light] one arm forward and reverse rotations. Then do a STRAIGHT LEGGED, Windmill. Focus on the lead leg versus rear leg, but still hinging. Like a sloppy yoga triangle. Reach down that leg and do a couple reps then switch legs. Shoulder and gluteal/hamstring manna.
Post a Youtube video of Janet Mason performing these movements.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:13 am

TomFurman wrote:Two moves that are currently gold I stole from Coach Sommers. Dumbbell, [light] one arm forward and reverse rotations. Then do a STRAIGHT LEGGED, Windmill. Focus on the lead leg versus rear leg, but still hinging. Like a sloppy yoga triangle. Reach down that leg and do a couple reps then switch legs. Shoulder and gluteal/hamstring manna.

Got more information on those shoulder exercises? Did a quick search on youtube and failed in finding any videos.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:51 pm

You will find them in Gymnastic Bodies Foundation.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:33 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Recently I read some shit that made a lot of sense in a way I'd never thought about it. My issues are, as I get into it for the millionth time...pec minor and lat tightness coupled with super shitty weakness of certain back muscles (the ones that work when you do YWTLs and blackburns)

I would like to see it though.
You might find something useful in this (despite the website): http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-reco ... tendonitis
Testiclaw wrote:Nothing that isn't freely available online.

Honestly, I think most mobility stuff is bullshit. I used to do tons and tons of it. Granted, the sample size here is 1, but, I instead worked on figuring out which two stretches for my upper body, and two for my lower body, reduced pain or discomfort the most.

And then I diligently progressed on those.

Almost, eh, 85% of my mobility issues have resolved themselves.

For what it's worth;

Upperbody,
Lat/tricep stretch with a band
External rotation/pec stretch with two looped bands

Lower,
Calf stretching & ankle flossing
Hip flexor/quad/couch stretch

I do foam rolling, only for my quad and IT band. If there aren't any sore spots I don't really roll that long. If there are, I'll roll until they dissipate.

I've become far more comfortable than when I did a lot of drills and activations and a laundry list of stretches.
I try to do the same thing. 2-3 stretches/mobility/activation moves for upper body and same for lower that seem to address my current issues.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:12 pm

Fuck thaT guy...can he be even more obscure and unhelpful?

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:59 pm

You should read his other articles.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:14 pm

Lol. I will. Aussie physios are pretty on top of shit

terra

Post by terra » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:33 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote: The breathing shit everyone is clamoring about is mostly bullshit too. You fucking know how to breath. Like 5% or less of people breath dysfunctionally if that. Check it out right now. See where your breath is going? Lower lungs/diaphragm. I have only seen one really dysfunctional breather who used his traps to breath.

Now, learning how to stabilize the spine with circumferential breathing...that works and is worth learning how you do it if you don't automatically do it now.

I agree that the breathing thing has become a fad (and agree with your comments on Starret and his ilk). I disagree that looking at breath patterns is mostly bullshit, it depends on what you are looking for and how you link it in to the person over-all.
But I understand why you would think it is hocus-pocus, as I believe its being looked at through the wrong lens. There is a shit-ton to be gained by working with breath patterns. But in a different manner/level to getting people to do arm bars with kettlebells, or skin the cats etc... I would say that less than 5% of people DON'T have a glitch in the breath pattern.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson