Deadlifting in Oly Shoes.

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Re: Deadlifting in Oly Shoes.

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue May 10, 2016 9:15 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:How about squatting in oly shoes? I've got a pair of Nike Romaleos that I bought for GS that have used some for squatting. I am about to start a program in a few weeks that involves single leg and regular barbell squats and was deciding whether to wear my Romaleos (3/4" heel) or my Adidas shell toes (Superstars).

Ummmm...huh? What have you used in the past to squat in? Flat shoes?
Both. I've used the oly shoes for front squats and high bar olympic squatting and the flat shoes for everything else. I guess I should have explained better. With the program I will be doing, I will start off doing light barbell skater squats along with DL or TBDL. I'm wondering if wearing oly shoes will be more knee friendly (thinking about my knees since I ride so much) than the flat shoes, or is it the opposite?

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue May 10, 2016 9:52 pm

Either should be if you're sitting back well. If one legged speed skater squats hurt your knees you're doing it wrong. I'd probably continue using flat shoes as you've been doing with the TBDL and DL. if you start doing full squats, nice and deep or front squats, I'd use the squat shoes. Skater squats are rarely done below parallel IME...that's not their forte, shouldn't matter.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed May 11, 2016 12:15 am

Thanks, BD.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Either should be if you're sitting back well. If one legged speed skater squats hurt your knees you're doing it wrong. I'd probably continue using flat shoes as you've been doing with the TBDL and DL. if you start doing full squats, nice and deep or front squats, I'd use the squat shoes. Skater squats are rarely done below parallel IME...that's not their forte, shouldn't matter.