With age

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

dkay
Sarge

Re: With age

Post by dkay » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:10 pm

51 now - best change for me in the past 6 months has been 4 day a week bench/accessory +some tris, dl/back + some bi, shoulder press/acc + some tris, squats back and front. Run hills a few times a week- variable reps, keep it snappy, get exhausted, but quit when you are losing your legs not lungs. All main lifts done for 3-5 rep sets keeping 1 or 2 in the tank - helps you get more volume with less stress. Main lift 20- 30 total reps. All accessory done for 10-20 reps per set for total 50 reps or so. Once I developed the patience to take a 5rm and just leave it at 3 I got back on some linear gains I haven't seen for years. There is obviously nothing special about this routine but the idea of keeping something back pays more dividends the older you get.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:34 am

dkay wrote:51 now - best change for me in the past 6 months has been 4 day a week bench/accessory +some tris, dl/back + some bi, shoulder press/acc + some tris, squats back and front. Run hills a few times a week- variable reps, keep it snappy, get exhausted, but quit when you are losing your legs not lungs. All main lifts done for 3-5 rep sets keeping 1 or 2 in the tank - helps you get more volume with less stress. Main lift 20- 30 total reps. All accessory done for 10-20 reps per set for total 50 reps or so. Once I developed the patience to take a 5rm and just leave it at 3 I got back on some linear gains I haven't seen for years. There is obviously nothing special about this routine but the idea of keeping something back pays more dividends the older you get.

=D> =D> =D>
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:27 pm

Sangoma wrote:My area of discipline fail is pushing myself more than I should. Say, I started squatting after dealing with sore back. Few sessions down the line I find myself going too heavy for my current ability. Weight X feels good, let's try X+10. Managed that - let's go 10 more. Then, after couple of hours Mr Lumbar tells me - that was too much for today.

I see only one solution for that: planning exact load for the session, erring on the lower side. I can still see myself getting overly enthusiastic one day and repeating the same mistake.
You could get a coach you trust and pretty much do what you're told to do. There's a lot of freedom in letting someone else pilot the plane.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:09 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
dkay wrote:51 now - best change for me in the past 6 months has been 4 day a week bench/accessory +some tris, dl/back + some bi, shoulder press/acc + some tris, squats back and front. Run hills a few times a week- variable reps, keep it snappy, get exhausted, but quit when you are losing your legs not lungs. All main lifts done for 3-5 rep sets keeping 1 or 2 in the tank - helps you get more volume with less stress. Main lift 20- 30 total reps. All accessory done for 10-20 reps per set for total 50 reps or so. Once I developed the patience to take a 5rm and just leave it at 3 I got back on some linear gains I haven't seen for years. There is obviously nothing special about this routine but the idea of keeping something back pays more dividends the older you get.

=D> =D> =D>
You bet
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:24 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

=D> =D> =D>
You bet
Nice.

Really Big Strong Guy

Post by Really Big Strong Guy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:16 pm

I am 47. No longer a spring chicken. I still compete at a very high level in my sport. I believe I can continue to do that for another 10 to 15 years. My goal is 15.

I have a lot of lifting heavy shit in my background. I mean a lot. I also started doing daily yoga, tai chi and SMR about 10 to 15 years ago. I've also metered and downgraded the heavy silly shit from daily to weekly to what I do now. My strength training has now become completely "instinctual" following the old Joe Weider principles. As gay as that sounds, I swear I do very few bodybuilding exercises - Abs/posterior chain warm up, Olympic movements first, squat movement, overhead movement, then a pull, finished up with some kinda sorta maybe pumping/blood flow movements. I don't miss training sessions. I get in and I do the work. If I feel strong, something heavy gets moved. If I do not feel strong, or I am tired, I do about the same volume I would have done in the strong version, but I cut the weights way down.

My event training is pretty much the same - I always train at high intensity, but I meter the volume. I only compete at one pace. Again, I never miss sessions.

I also take purposeful down time and have recently incorporated, thanks to my hot wife's awesome insurance, weekly ultrasound therapy and deep tissue massage.

Oddly enough, I have sat some weight room PRs recently in my most recent training cycle. Shocked the ever living shit out of me. A few of which I never thought I would ever do. The super heavy squats, pulls, and overheads are gone - but I got rep PRs on what I consider to be reasonable weights.

Next stage of my training is to lose some body weight and hopefully migrate away from the "power belly" aka Bear look. Bodyfat is not the issue. Just got wicked thick from all the heavy stuff. Or so I keep telling myself. :^o
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........