Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21107
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:23 pm

Will be gone by July 31, I read.

User avatar
WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9951
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by WildGorillaMan » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:33 pm

Are condolences or congratulations in order?
Image
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

User avatar
Testiclaw
Top
Posts: 1844
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:30 pm
Location: Between the thighs, taint, and retractable claw.

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by Testiclaw » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:35 pm

They moved into a garage thingy on their property.

Is it going to remain open for their lifters?
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9697
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by TerryB » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:16 am

This is difficult to process.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Image

User avatar
Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 14137
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:32 am
Location: GAWD'S Country
Contact:

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by Holland Oates » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:29 am

Crossfit wins again.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

The Cunning Stunt
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:27 am

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by The Cunning Stunt » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:31 am

Always thought that forum was very meh as far as activity goes.

User avatar
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7937
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:46 pm
Location: TX

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:27 pm

Olympic weightlifting is only exceeded slightly in the hard to watch factor by Powerlifting, but this gap is made up by the level of technical flim flammery that is an excuse for poor international performance. Without the bro and ho factor of @fit, oly is just strongman for weak hipsters. And they love the shoes.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19089
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:38 pm

powerlifter54 wrote: Without the bro and ho factor of @fit, oly is just strongman for weak hipsters. And they love the shoes.
Now wait a minute.... Is that fair???


Yes. Yes it is.

Well stated
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

I dig big chicks
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by I dig big chicks » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:50 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
powerlifter54 wrote: Without the bro and ho factor of @fit, oly is just strongman for weak hipsters. And they love the shoes.
Now wait a minute.... Is that fair???


Yes. Yes it is.

Well stated
There are a ton of pussies in my sport, true. And most of the women I work with are much stronger and harder than the men.

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21107
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:37 pm

OL is an olympic sport, thus giving it more gravitas than CF, Spartan Racing, PL, HG, SM.

Despite being smaller than all of those, perhaps?

CA forums were watered down by the 25 different subforums.

User avatar
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7937
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:46 pm
Location: TX

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:45 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:OL is an olympic sport, thus giving it more gravitas than CF, Spartan Racing, PL, HG, SM.

Despite being smaller than all of those, perhaps?

CA forums were watered down by the 25 different subforums.
i actually like Oly and have been to Oly Trials as a spectator 3 times, along with several national level meets. But the level of idiocy in the coaching ranks is epic for the majority there. Think i would be more comfortable talking to @fitters. When i hang with my brothers clients they know more and ask better questions. They just suffer from the more is better view and that ending up in a fetal position with puke all around you is the mark of an awesome workout. My bro gets it but hard to get most of those folks off the throttle.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19089
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:51 pm

OL is an awesome "sport"...best enjoyed among those who have done it from the jump to the exclusion of other disciplines. Like native New Yorkers they have a certain depth of experience that is authentic, refreshing and unique.

The state of most the of the rest of OL is like someone who moved to NY after college and identifies as a #NEWYORKER. Tedious, self absorbed and above all acutely aware of their inadequacy and in-authenticity.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

User avatar
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7937
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:46 pm
Location: TX

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:28 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:OL is an awesome "sport"...best enjoyed among those who have done it from the jump to the exclusion of other disciplines. Like native New Yorkers they have a certain depth of experience that is authentic, refreshing and unique.

The state of most the of the rest of OL is like someone who moved to NY after college and identifies as a #NEWYORKER. Tedious, self absorbed and above all acutely aware of their inadequacy and in-authenticity.
=D> =D> =D>
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

User avatar
WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9951
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by WildGorillaMan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:41 pm

I don't know if your garden variety recreational OL is any less accomplished than any other stripe of ordinary average gym goer.

Compare your knee-socks wearing "I'm an OLYMPIC WEIGHTLIFTER" to your typical pecs & bis broski and you'll see commonalities in self-delusion and lack of physical development.

In all the disciplines of the lifting you'll see a wide delta between the Best and the Rest. The garden-variety @fitters WODing away in their little corner of the gym I've been going to neither look nor perform anything like even regional-level @FIT GAMES competitors.

The OLY BROS (I know they are, because they keep calling it "Oly") will spend forty minutes snatching 50kg for doubles.

There are however, a handful of serious OL lifters who show up, snatch, clean, jerk, and squat impressive weights, and go home.

The powerlifters, bodybuilders and strongmen in the same gym, all look and perform as if they actually lift.
Image
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21107
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:56 pm

Competitors, real competitors, are a different breed.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19089
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:07 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Competitors, real competitors, are a different breed.
Where's that line for you?

Where's Real begin and faux drop off.

Personally, I'm in FauxforLyfe...but I'm open to your perspective. For instance...do we have any of those in USAW?
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21107
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:04 pm

It's an interesting question

1. Do you practice your sport frequently to attempt to improve your performance?
2. Do you support that practice with an appropriate strength and conditioning practice? (slippery slope here I know)
3. Do you support that practice with lifestyle choices?
4. Do you compete with serious intent?...this probably should be number one.

If someone competes multiple times a year, and is improving their results, I'm inclined to call them a serious competitor.
If someone competes multiple times a year, but is more in it because it's a social and fun thing to do, then I'm inclined to not consider them a serious competitor.

There are certainly cases where the casual competitor lays waste to the serious ones, especially in sports with more specific physiological morphologies that give advantage.

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21107
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:06 pm

Like, if you say "Imma gonna dance with my skirt" but used to be a DI hammer thrower and kill everyone in the As while drunk as fuck because you spent years doing this shit as a youth, you are pretty casual...unlike poor Joe who takes his practice and training very seriously, yet probably would excel at 5Ks instead of a power sport.

climber511
Gunny
Posts: 961
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by climber511 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:10 pm

Strong is strong - which lift you're doing is just a measurement of that. I enjoy the Olympic lifts and suck at about the same level on them as I do on most other lifts. I do find that when I do a period of time with them I feel less beat up than when doing the power lifts - so there is that.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19089
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:20 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:It's an interesting question

1. Do you practice your sport frequently to attempt to improve your performance?
2. Do you support that practice with an appropriate strength and conditioning practice? (slippery slope here I know)
3. Do you support that practice with lifestyle choices?
4. Do you compete with serious intent?...this probably should be number one.

If someone competes multiple times a year, and is improving their results, I'm inclined to call them a serious competitor.
If someone competes multiple times a year, but is more in it because it's a social and fun thing to do, then I'm inclined to not consider them a serious competitor.

There are certainly cases where the casual competitor lays waste to the serious ones, especially in sports with more specific physiological morphologies that give advantage.

Takk.

I think this is a fair..perhaps even generous perspective.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19089
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:22 pm

climber511 wrote:Strong is strong - which lift you're doing is just a measurement of that. I enjoy the Olympic lifts and suck at about the same level on them as I do on most other lifts. I do find that when I do a period of time with them I feel less beat up than when doing the power lifts - so there is that.

I feel a lot less bad about my Oly lifts having watch CHADWESELEYSMITHWHOSQUATSALLTHEWEIGHTINNAMERICA doing power snatches. Cool to see someone genuinely athletic make a lift look like a monkey fuckin a football.

I feel far far more nuked after having done them...same with throws. Physically not as sore but suuuuuuper tapped out. If there is a CNS, this is a good way to find your way to it.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21107
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:32 pm

You dabble in close grip snatches yet?

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 19089
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:42 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:You dabble in close grip snatches yet?

I have not in earnest. ..perhaps you were referring to Climber?

What's the upside?
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

climber511
Gunny
Posts: 961
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by climber511 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:08 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:You dabble in close grip snatches yet?

I have not in earnest. ..perhaps you were referring to Climber?

What's the upside?
I can't do snatches with a close grip - shoulders won't go back far enough in the bottom position. Can sort of do them without going into the hole - a sort of high power snatch is OK.

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21107
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Catalyst Athletics forum closing down

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:16 pm

Less load, maybe be more application for hitting the positions in HG

Post Reply