Longer rests between sets to limit hypertrophy (Tactical Barbell bro logic?)

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Tirofijo
Sarge

Longer rests between sets to limit hypertrophy (Tactical Barbell bro logic?)

Post by Tirofijo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:18 pm

I'm reading Tactical Barbell on the recommendation of someone here. It's written by a pseudonymous author K Black that's part of a Canadian federal HRT.

It's a waved periodization program for 'operational athletes' that don't want to bulk up as higher strength-to-weight ratio is important. You lift a percentage of your max, ala 5/3/1, for a certain amount of rep, never going to failure, etc.

Author harps on waiting 3 to 5 minutes between sets. Not resting 3 minutes will cause unwanted hypertrophy, he says.

In my case, if i'm not waiting 3 minutes between sets that are, say, at 85% of my max, then i'm not going to hit the reps. I couldn't shorten the rest if I wanted to.

But I'm curious about the logic of resting to limit hypertrophy. I've never heard that from strength trainers. I know bodybuilders limit rest for the pump, but they aren't lifting at the same percentages of their max so they can do another set with a shorter rest period.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: Longer rests between sets to limit hypertrophy (Tactical Barbell bro logic?)

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:15 pm

Almost certain it's a bunk statement.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Longer rests between sets to limit hypertrophy (Tactical Barbell bro logic?)

Post by Bobby » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:00 pm

Wouldn`t a normal diet slow hypertrophy gains? Eat when hungry and stop when not,non of that forced feeding should help?
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:15 pm

Check with posts by Brad Schoenfeld's page.. he just posted some material on this.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Boris

Post by Boris » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:07 pm

Tirofijo wrote: But I'm curious about the logic of resting to limit hypertrophy. I've never heard that from strength trainers. I know bodybuilders limit rest for the pump, but they aren't lifting at the same percentages of their max so they can do another set with a shorter rest period.
This probably stems from the BS dichotomy of longer rest for strength - less rest for hypertrophy...

While there is some truth to it, it's not a >3:00 = strength, <3:00 = hypertrophy thing. And if we are talking about "operational athletes" (I'm not really sure what that means - does that mean non-strength athletes or military/LEOs?), then probably sport/task-specific training/diet/lifestyle is going to preclude a lot of unnecessary 'gainz'...

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:23 pm

If you eat like Mickey, you won't have to worry about getting hooyge.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:50 pm

SubClaw wrote:If you drink beer and smoke weed like Mickey, you won't have to worry about getting hooyge.
Fixed

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:15 pm

You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Tirofijo
Sarge

Post by Tirofijo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:50 pm

Boris wrote:
Tirofijo wrote: But I'm curious about the logic of resting to limit hypertrophy. I've never heard that from strength trainers. I know bodybuilders limit rest for the pump, but they aren't lifting at the same percentages of their max so they can do another set with a shorter rest period.
This probably stems from the BS dichotomy of longer rest for strength - less rest for hypertrophy...

While there is some truth to it, it's not a >3:00 = strength, <3:00 = hypertrophy thing. And if we are talking about "operational athletes" (I'm not really sure what that means - does that mean non-strength athletes or military/LEOs?), then probably sport/task-specific training/diet/lifestyle is going to preclude a lot of unnecessary 'gainz'...
Operational athlete = tactical athlete = military/leo

Overall, I like the book and am currently in the "base building" part of his conditioning plan. He's part of the pendulum swing back toward long steady state aerobic training. (He gives a hat tip to Joel Jamieson.)

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:20 pm

TomFurman wrote:
SubClaw wrote:If you drink beer and smoke weed like Mickey, you won't have to worry about getting hooyge.
Fixed
Speaking of which... Isn't weed supposed to make you eat compulsively?

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:37 pm

True. But most of the pot heads I know are skinnier than me.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Chris McClinch
Sarge

Post by Chris McClinch » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:43 pm

Boris wrote:
And this from the larger false dichotomy between "training for strength" and "training for hypertrophy."

Because WSM is dominated by skinny motherfuckers who you can't tell train with a T-shirt on.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:53 pm

Here's the thing you've got to understand about TACTICAL TRAINING...you are training for REAL MOTHERFUCKING LIFE...life and MOTHERFUCKING DEATH...people are going to DIE if you don't hit that squat PR you BITCH...and the only way to accomplish this SHIT...is to hit that retard dial and crank that motherfucker all the way to 11.

Or, so I heard on Instagram.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:57 pm

“The needs of the FBI door kicker and a Whataburger cashier differ by degree, not kind.” - Greg Glassman

Boris

Post by Boris » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:12 pm

Chris McClinch wrote:
Boris wrote:
And this from the larger false dichotomy between "training for strength" and "training for hypertrophy."

Because WSM is dominated by skinny motherfuckers who you can't tell train with a T-shirt on.
Exactly. And the Olympia is filled with sarcoplasmic sacks of shit who couldn't squat their way out of a paper bag.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:01 am

I avoid unwanted hypertrophy by lifting less weight, training less often and eating French fries. Has worked for decades.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:17 pm

Sangoma wrote:I avoid unwanted hypertrophy by lifting less weight, training less often and eating French fries. Has worked for decades.
=D>
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:41 pm

You can't do short rest periods with heavy weights (less than 5 reps, RPE 8+) because of a very technical reason.

They are heavy.

Lighter weights and working with shortened rest periods is one of the roads to hypertrophy. You can do this because the weights are light.

Most people do not need to worry about these distinctions.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:27 pm

Most people do not need to worry about these distinctions.
Yep.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:20 pm

Those weighted vest/trap bar walks/squats look brutal. I'd love to try that

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:12 am

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Here's the thing you've got to understand about TACTICAL TRAINING...you are training for REAL MOTHERFUCKING LIFE...life and MOTHERFUCKING DEATH...people are going to DIE if you don't hit that squat PR you BITCH...and the only way to accomplish this SHIT...is to hit that retard dial and crank that motherfucker all the way to 11.

Or, so I heard on Instagram.

'Fuck my back, fuck my knees'

Yeah, you're never gonna need those in the future.

Retard.
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:15 am

Beer Jew wrote:Those weighted vest/trap bar walks/squats look brutal. I'd love to try that
I wanted to play with weighted vest for a long time. I am guessing it would make everything more fun, from push presses to walking.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:47 am

the population who need to worry about unwanted hypertrophy is about as big as those who need to worry about unwanted leanness. When I've done any endurance sports or martial arts where power to weight is important the sport specific training naturally limited any gainzzzz. I know hardly any/no people who accidentally got hyooge, unless you count fatties. And I'm pretty sure rest between sets is the not the pivotal variable to worry about.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:08 pm

Where did you get the book? every link was broke.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Tirofijo
Sarge

Re: Longer rests between sets to limit hypertrophy (Tactical Barbell bro logic?)ar

Post by Tirofijo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:49 pm

There are two ebooks on Amazon.

Tactical Barbell - which is on it's third edition.

https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Barbell ... B01G195QU2

Then there's Tactical Barbell 2 Conditioning - which as you might have guessed, is about conditioning.

https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Barbell ... B01G195QU2

------

He's got a third called Tactical Barbell for Law Enforcement (or something like that), but that's apparently just how to prep for the entry PT tests.