being consistent with mental schedules

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

odin
Sgt. Major

being consistent with mental schedules

Post by odin » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:01 pm

Any tips/ideas about keeping up the training habit when you're schedule is totally chaotic? Got 2 months of weirdness ahead of me.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Re: being consistent with mental schedules

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:22 pm

When the schedule gets tight for me I narrow down my activities to the core things, and set time limits on how long I have to do them. My two personal time things are guitar and exercise. Given tons of free time, I can noodle on the guitar or dick around in my exercise room all day. But when things get crunched, I set aside a scheduled amount of time and know going in what I'm going to work on. So instead of picking up my acoustic and and jamming for a couple hours, I have my timer set and I'll work on x drill for 5 minutes, y drill for 5 minutes, etc. Same thing for exercise. When I'm low on time everything but the erg gets cut out, and I have my workout planned and ready to put into the monitor. 30 minutes of focused work and I'm out.

Another thing I make myself do when work gets busy it make a point to come home and get straight at it. If I sit down at the computer and start checking email and blogs and what not, I can kill an hour of time in which I could have knocked out a training session. This is maybe the biggest factor in getting training in when I'm working a ton of hours.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:10 pm

This is why I work out first thing in the morning. It took me a long time to get used to it, but it removes any doubt of whether or not I'll get my workout in that day. Good luck

stanley_white
Gunny

Post by stanley_white » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:12 pm

davidc wrote:This is why I work out first thing in the morning. It took me a long time to get used to it, but it removes any doubt of whether or not I'll get my workout in that day. Good luck
I agree with davidc.

-Stan

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:11 pm

Just do it either when you wake or when you get home.Don`t wait for motivation,that will come once you get warmed up.I have been waiting to get motivated to run all summer=didn`t run at all,so I just decided this tuesday that I would go out and run=have already had 4 runs this week.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:12 pm

Or drink more wine/beer and then you have to exercise or you`ll get fat hehehehe
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:14 pm

Alfred hits the nail on the head for me. Parse it down to the minimum work needed to get the job done. It can be 50/20 style or alternating push/pull sets. Get it done in the time frame alloted and if there is any time remaining do some accessory work. You can get some solid work done in 20 mins, be it lifting or cardio.

As many of you know my schedule is goofy as hell. My training time is typically 30 mins, 3 days a week. It consists of a brief warm up, 1-3 sets of KB work with limited rest, and some bodyweight armor building. I try to throw in a run and some BJJ as time permits.

Another way is to just GTG, if possible. A single KB and some BW done throughout the day can get you by for a short duration. I've tried the early morning routine and I just can't do much beside cardio in the AM.

Most importantly, don't sweat it. Do what you can when you can.

Boris

Post by Boris » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:43 pm

I like the input a lot. Here would be my suggestions and a lot of them have already been said. This is pretty much how I train all the time these days actually - I try to do something almost every day (I'm at about 75% for the year so far) and it usually comes down to one of the following:

*GTG - doing an exercise throughout an afternoon/evening, a set here and there.
*EDT - doing an exercise or a pair of exercises for 10-15 minutes
*one exercise - work up to one or two money sets and call it a day
*100 push-ups total
*3-5 sets of chins
*one exercise - sets on the minute for 5-15 minutes
*ladders

My 'training' almost never lasts more the 30 minutes and 9 times out of ten, the exercise I do is one of the following: squat, deadlift, press, push-ups, or chins.

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:25 pm

Bobby wrote:Or drink more wine/beer and then you have to exercise or you`ll get fat hehehehe

I've been using that approach for last 28 years.
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:33 pm

thanks for the input. I do currently train first thing, (5 am wake up) but I need to be out of the house by 5.30 quite a lot in the next few weeks and am also travelling away a lot. The density advice is spot on though. I guess for a short period just hitting an exercise pairing for 20 mins will probably do the trick.

On a related note, what are people's views on bodyweight routines at the moment? By that I mean, is there a product that is highly recommended at the moment? I like Scrapper & Maxwell's stuff but they're pretty old now.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:36 pm

Dunn wrote:Alfred hits the nail on the head for me. Parse it down to the minimum work needed to get the job done. It can be 50/20 style or alternating push/pull sets. Get it done in the time frame alloted and if there is any time remaining do some accessory work. You can get some solid work done in 20 mins, be it lifting or cardio.

As many of you know my schedule is goofy as hell. My training time is typically 30 mins, 3 days a week. It consists of a brief warm up, 1-3 sets of KB work with limited rest, and some bodyweight armor building. I try to throw in a run and some BJJ as time permits.

Another way is to just GTG, if possible. A single KB and some BW done throughout the day can get you by for a short duration. I've tried the early morning routine and I just can't do much beside cardio in the AM.

Most importantly, don't sweat it. Do what you can when you can.
You should post that blog piece you wrote about this. I don't have time to find it right now or I would.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:33 pm

odin wrote:thanks for the input. I do currently train first thing, (5 am wake up) but I need to be out of the house by 5.30 quite a lot in the next few weeks and am also travelling away a lot. The density advice is spot on though. I guess for a short period just hitting an exercise pairing for 20 mins will probably do the trick.

On a related note, what are people's views on bodyweight routines at the moment? By that I mean, is there a product that is highly recommended at the moment? I like Scrapper & Maxwell's stuff but they're pretty old now.
You can`t really go wrong with your basics:push ups,pullups/chins/body rows,lunges,squats,flutter kicks etc.Nice thing is that you can arrange it like a circuit and get multiple benefits.
"being a pussy".

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:17 pm

Wake up 45 minutes earlier than normal. Take 15 minutes to drink coffee. Then train balls hard for a half hour. This is what I do when I know my schedule is gonna be wacky.

This is good if you train at home like I do. Pavement, kettlebell, pull-up bar, all I need.

If you need a gym, and your gym opens early, just wake up and hour and a half earlier so you can get to the gym, instead.
WildGorillaMan wrote:$4000 bicycle. $300 shoes. $400 spandex.

35% bodyfat.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:13 am

If time is short, the Home Gym is essential.
I can perform a decent workout in the time it takes me to travel to & from my gym.

Unless you're going to be living at your work. Then, improvise a workout that you can squeeze into your workday. Maybe it's all bodyweight exercises for the next few months. Maybe you can smuggle a KB into work.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:18 pm

For me when shit gets fucked up, I find picking ONE thing that does the bulk of what you need to be the best option, and just do it for as long as you can, whenever you can. Sometimes it was kettlebell swings - I just left a kettlebell in the parking garage at work and would do 20-30 minutes of swings during my lunchbreak.

Kettlebell clean and press was another one that worked for a while.

More recently it was running - I'd run 45-60 minutes on days I could and nothing if not. Lately it's rowing - have an erg at home and there's one at work. As long as I get a few long rows in a week I'm ok. If I can I'll also run, do push-ups most nights and do KB stuff some days. But pick one thing that is convenient and stops you going mental and do just that.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:20 pm

aussie luke wrote:For me when shit gets fucked up, I find picking ONE thing that does the bulk of what you need to be the best option, and just do it for as long as you can, whenever you can. Sometimes it was kettlebell swings - I just left a kettlebell in the parking garage at work and would do 20-30 minutes of swings during my lunchbreak.

More recently it was running - I'd run 45-60 minutes on days I could and nothing if not. Lately it's rowing - have an erg at home and there's one at work. As long as I get a few long rows in a week I'm ok. If I can I'll also run, do push-ups most nights and do KB stuff some days. But pick one thing that is convenient and stops you going mental and do just that.
This for me is the only answer. Find that one thing that without which, you're gonna feel slighted or guilty or just disappointed if you don't do it... And do as much as as little of it as you can.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:05 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
aussie luke wrote:For me when shit gets fucked up, I find picking ONE thing that does the bulk of what you need to be the best option, and just do it for as long as you can, whenever you can. Sometimes it was kettlebell swings - I just left a kettlebell in the parking garage at work and would do 20-30 minutes of swings during my lunchbreak.

This for me is the only answer. Find that one thing that without which, you're gonna feel slighted or guilty or just disappointed if you don't do it... And do as much as as little of it as you can.
Minimum Effective Dose™ Fast Pig Industries™ approved.

I have a bare minimum of workouts to do a week and it's a very bare minimum. Everything else is extra. And if work is crazy then I just try to eat cleaner than normal and sleep more.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:51 am

True knowledge... We here at FPI believe in the utility of a single idea taken to absolute intellectual failure.

I jest but not much. If kettle bells are your tool, damn well better have a fuckload of handleball time even if it's just a single set of 20 snatches with one hand every day. If you're a runner, 5 minutes of running will fix a bad day where a 5 minute handleball session is just warming up. If you're a grappler, just one class a week plus mental drilling will keep
You frosty...

While we are on the subject, don't underestimate the power of meditation and visualization when it comes to time crunched practice.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:38 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:True knowledge... We here at FPI believe in the utility of a single idea taken to absolute intellectual failure.

I jest but not much. If kettle bells are your tool, damn well better have a fuckload of handleball time even if it's just a single set of 20 snatches with one hand every day. If you're a runner, 5 minutes of running will fix a bad day where a 5 minute handleball session is just warming up. If you're a grappler, just one class a week plus mental drilling will keep
You frosty...

While we are on the subject, don't underestimate the power of meditation and visualization when it comes to time crunched practice.
I agree with this - including (didn't think I would say this) visualization of all movement big or small. Be mindful of all your physical movement- big dividends.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:41 am

The Ginger Beard Man wrote:You should post that blog piece you wrote about this. I don't have time to find it right now or I would.
Just some quick thoughts on training for those of us who have full time careers and other obligations.

We are not professional athletes. This is a hobby...be it kettlebell sport, powerlifting, triathlons, Highland Games, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, road cycling, marathons, etc. The vast majority of us will never see a dime for all the blood, sweat and tears that we pour into this stuff. If you do it will be far less than the money you put into it, I can guarantee that. With that in mind, it makes little sense to mirror our training loads like the pro's.

We are professional: teachers, lawyers, firefighters, nurses, doctors, construction workers, police, soldiers, computer programmers, trainers and everything else under the sun. We are also husbands, wives, fathers, and mothers. To me, these tend to outrank my hobbyist pursuits. I work out to be healthy, look good, and to feel good. I find it rather hard to "feel good" if my fitness focus continually leaves me feeling drained or hurting constantly.

My approach thus far has been to establish a daily or weekly minimum to hit. This is normally a set amount of volume or certain go to workouts that I can hit no matter what the day, at least under most circumstances. If it is a bad day and I am feeling tired I should still be able to hit my minimum. If I am feeling good, then maybe I might add a little more to my minimum for the day. Once I have my daily minimum established for a bit, I might increase the total load by a hair. Rinse and repeat. You will have good days where the effort feels just plain easy and pushing a bit will come naturally. Same with bad days and on those you know that all you have to do is hit that minimum and you are done. Though to be honest, once you hit the minimum you will probably feel better for it and might want some more. Be honest with yourself. If you are hurting, take a day off.

I understand that intensity sessions can garner great results in less time, for a while. But they also can start racking up aches and pains, not to mention risking injury, that take a toll on the day to day stuff that matters. Getting that extra work done at your job, practicing ball with your kids, taking the wife out dancing, etc. Point being, build your baseline. Get a lot of work in at 50-80% effort. Your 50-80% this year will not be the 50-80% of next year. I swear it. Build your base and you will be better able to taper for those couple of comps a year that you hit and chances are you will be less injury prone for it all.

If it's not for you, go do your thing. Again, this is just my own approach to it all and I am not breaking records or anything. I'm just having fun.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:23 am

good stuff

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:27 pm

Go to's for clients that have stood the test of time,..
1. AoW
2. S & S
3. Run, Stretch, a few cals.
4. Tai Chi
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America