Goals for 2017

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Re: Goals for 2017

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:22 pm

I like this.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Sharing your goals....

http://www.psych.nyu.edu/gollwitzer/09_ ... tions_.pdf

I stumbled upon this when i was 18. I went from being typical HS kid, atheltic-ish, eat whatever I want etc..to workin g two night jobs,I put on about 25 pounds. Decided to start running. Was so embarrassed about how terrible I was at running, I committed to tell no one what i was up to until I could run 10 miles. It took 3 months. In the ensuing year I went from 210 to 142, completely changed my body from one type of physique to another. Couple years after that I began endurance racing in earnest, first with a couple MTB races then moving on to the road, then track. All of these goals I let "settle" in my mind; percolate for a bit before sharing. Be selfish, keep secrets, build the wall brick by brick...tell what you did, not what you're gonna do.

Lesson learned, don't tell people shit. Go do what you think you want for 3 months and then tell them what you've been doing.

More of same for those that prefer vid, to the text.

https://www.ted.com/talks/derek_sivers_ ... o_yourself

and....quick read.
http://psych-your-mind.blogspot.com/201 ... goals.html

terra

Post by terra » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:38 pm

Was looking at certain habit/goal/achievement info and how 'The Great Achievers' have done so.
Hence my "Why" earlier...

I can't see a lot of hard rules as to one successful rule/way to make things happen. Moreover, what comes through is a need for adaptability or robust-ness with the goal and the strategies to achieving it...

In this regard it seems (to me) that creating systems is very helpful (Scott Adams of Dilbert fame has spoken about this). I realised that my achievements were easier* when I was (unconsciously) using a similar systems approach and having goals/efforts 'linked' whether practically or merely conceptually.

Another thing that helps is to acknowledge 'luck' or fortuitous happenings factors. As this allows you to also notice when these factors aren't available and compensate or plan accordingly.

BTW, thankyou to those who are participating constructively, some good stuff coming up in this thread.

*easier = not necessarily less effort but more flow and incidental positive feedback whilst focussing on a bigger picture.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:03 am

people don't change

if your goals are consistent with who you are and have been, you've got a shot at them.

if your goals require you to be a different, perhaps "better," person, they're not gonna happen . pick realistic goals.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:15 am

terra wrote:I can't see a lot of hard rules as to one successful rule/way to make things happen. Moreover, what comes through is a need for adaptability or robust-ness with the goal and the strategies to achieving it...
I think the research conducted was on gen pop, not "great achievers." Let's be honest, what makes most people great is not what they do..it's all the other things they DON'T do. Sacrificing home, health, sanity, the willingness to give things up in order to get something else is what seems to separate high acheiovers form the rest of us.Not that they parent; blessed with some innate talent but they allow that talent to blossom without competition.

For me, this has turned into a ruthless interrogatory I pull on my self and anyone who I'm being paid to advise. What are you willing to give up? Show my what dead weight you're getting rid of to make space for the new thing you're trying. I recently had to come to terms with this in my own pursuit and recognize, in my life there are no major activities I'm willing to give up in order to get better at this years goal. Even the downtime watching TV with the kids is too precious to me to compromise. It is what iot is, so I need to look at moving little rocks instead of big rocks for a while.

terra wrote:In this regard it seems (to me) that creating systems is very helpful (Scott Adams of Dilbert fame has spoken about this). I realised that my achievements were easier* when I was (unconsciously) using a similar systems approach and having goals/efforts 'linked' whether practically or merely conceptually.
Couldn't agree more. Systems/Patterns/Structure can make chasing goals a downhill run. This is where, contrary to the never share your goals advice, I think it makes sense for people to create a schedule/pattern/practice that you have to show up for. Accountability is a HUGE part of consistency for a lot of people.

Whether it's a running group instead of just running or a yoga class instead of stretching, dropping yourself into a mix does tends to knock down mental barriers. We recently had the discussion among my training group that we NEED to get out more and regularly train with people that are stronger, younger, more accomplished...and this need to be automated..Once a month we travel and train. I found this in every single endeavor I've jumped into with success. You need to the support system to rise above average.

One of these days I'll have to write down the Loser Van theory of everything.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:26 am

Scott Adam's bit in the Ferriss book was maybe the most useful one.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:25 am

dead man walking wrote:people don't change

if your goals are consistent with who you are and have been, you've got a shot at them.

if your goals require you to be a different, perhaps "better," person, they're not gonna happen . pick realistic goals.
I'm an alcoholic. I had a goal to stop drinking. I stopped drinking.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:24 am

Bud Charniga's grape ape wrote:
dead man walking wrote:people don't change

I'm an alcoholic. I had a goal to stop drinking. I stopped drinking.
Glad it was you that said it. DMW is full of shit. MOST people have a hard time changing in a timeframe that they want. But everybody changes huge amounts over time..and we develop recursive self fulfilling narratives to give the appearance of consistency. But it's bullshit to say people don't change; change is a constant.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:05 am

No free will means no change. Or maybe no free will means change is inevitable.

Ah fuck. Why did I give up drinking? Why won't the Feds let me have some THC?
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

milosz

Post by milosz » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:23 am

The tell/don't tell difference is probably personality driven more than universally applicable. Some people need the external affirmation/accounting, some people need to dig down inside themselves and not tell a soul.

As I've aged I can make gradual changes with some kind of mindful choice shit but when I was younger it took anger - I discovered in my early 20s that my best route to beating back depression wasn't meditating or kumbaya hippie shit (and pills weren't on the table, no money for therapy/docs) it was building up a coal of anger at myself. It helped focus anger inwardly (so I wasn't an asshole to other people) and it could only last so long, so I'd have to ride it for as long as possible to make big changes.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:01 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote: DMW is full of shit.
i suppose that is possible.

i will ponder the phrase "recursive self-fulfilling narratives" to see whether i can figure out what it means.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:33 am

Holland Oates wrote:No free will means no change. Or maybe no free will means change is inevitable.

Ah fuck. Why did I give up drinking? Why won't the Feds let me have some THC?
It's not exactly in the vein of this thread, but people generally don't get the debate about free will. There are multiple layers of reality. Is Rembrand's painting a bunch of pigments mixed with oil and placed on the canvas? Yes. Or is it something intangible that conveys the beauty not visible to mere mortals? Yes. When you think about free will in this way it makes many things clearer.

chi

Post by chi » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:47 pm

I have lots of goals, therefore I will probably get 2/3rds of the way to achieving each of them, just like every other year.
I'd say on the bottom of that self-actualisation pyramid shit, proper decent coffee is in there with wifi, tits, food and shelter

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Speaking of Scott Adams:

https://www.amazon.com/How-Fail-Almost- ... ll+win+big

This was my best "motivational" read of 2016.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:19 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Scott Adam's bit in the Ferriss book was maybe the most useful one.
Can you elaborate? If the book is good I might (ugh) get it but would otherwise review the Adams podcast. I think I quit that one early as Scott had some pretty woo woo thinking.

Liked Dilbert but Adams seems off. Doesn't mean there's nothing there.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:18 pm

I'm so pissed I told you guys my goals and ruined it for myself. Now I have to wait til 2018 to start. Damn!

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:33 pm

milosz wrote:The tell/don't tell difference is probably personality driven more than universally applicable. Some people need the external affirmation/accounting, some people need to dig down inside themselves and not tell a soul.

You might very well think that. The research indicates otherwise. More and more I begin to think that people are not so different in what works (intellectually). For instance the whole notion of learning styles has been upended by research. Some people have preference but in terms of outcomes, who learned by which method, there's not much data to support the idea that catering to a particular learning style

The more people I work with, the more I see that the differences in people have more to do with their level of desire and willingness to suffer through the inevitable doldrums. Change is hard. Learning is hard. If it's easy, you're not really leaning and it won;t remain easy for long.

Boris

Post by Boris » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:00 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
milosz wrote:The tell/don't tell difference is probably personality driven more than universally applicable. Some people need the external affirmation/accounting, some people need to dig down inside themselves and not tell a soul.

You might very well think that. The research indicates otherwise. More and more I begin to think that people are not so different in what works (intellectually). For instance the whole notion of learning styles has been upended by research. Some people have preference but in terms of outcomes, who learned by which method, there's not much data to support the idea that catering to a particular learning style

The more people I work with, the more I see that the differences in people have more to do with their level of desire and willingness to suffer through the inevitable doldrums. Change is hard. Learning is hard. If it's easy, you're not really leaning and it won;t remain easy for long.
I had an ed psych/cognitive psych professor basically say that the whole learning styles and multiple intelligences movements were bunk. His arguments were convincing.

I don't know what the research says or doesn't say on publicly airing goals, but I've never felt that it made a whit of difference one way or the other for me personally. However, I can see a pretty solid argument for just keeping that sh*t to yourself and using the time and energy you would use to proclaim your plans and goals to others on something that actually moves you closer to your goals. We all know that guy that talks your ear off about the amazing things he's going to do, but never does.

Anywho, the thread is about sharing and, just to keep from derailing the thread any further, here are mine for 2017:

* Train " more often than not" - this has gone well the past couple of years. I trained 267 days of 366 in 2016. Training, for me, is very loosely defined as something strength related. I don't count walking the dog, or stretching, or yard work. Keeping track of actual numbers makes it easier to put in a training session even when I don't feel like it.

* One-Arm DL 200lbs on the 2" vertical bar (1/31/17) - If I keep at it, this should be doable soon. This has been a goal for a couple of years and it's time.

* Chin-ups: 20 reps (1/31/2017) - I did this at end of 2016. I'd like to say I did it again in 2017. I should be able to do this convincingly w. one or two training sessions and some rest.

* Squat bdwt on bar x age (4/30/2016) - This will be tough, but I want to get this done before summer.

* Push-Ups x 100 (8/30/2017) - I think the best I've ever done was 90-something when I was in my mid-20s. I can do about 50 solid push-ups right now.

* KB Snatch (53lb) x 1 hour (12/31/2017) - It's been a long time since I've done any kettlebell training and I need something cardio-ish. I've done this for 30 minutes straight before, but that was at least a couple of years ago

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:26 pm

100 pushups always eluded me. I got 85 by training myself to sperate breathing from motion but I just never got further. I might give this a try. I just did 30 btw kill me.

Boris

Post by Boris » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:36 am

bennyonesix wrote:100 pushups always eluded me. I got 85 by training myself to sperate breathing from motion but I just never got further. I might give this a try. I just did 30 btw kill me.
I'm pretty sure when I was a teen and in the martial arts and doing shitloads, I could have gotten that 100, but it never crossed my mind as something to try.

I think it's going to be a real challenge. Honestly I can use the ab work as much as anything else I'd get from doing a crap ton of push-ups.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:39 am

Good point. I had to work on planks to get any endurance. I think I could prob do more dips than pushups for whatever reason.

Chris McClinch
Sarge

Post by Chris McClinch » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:24 pm

I built to doing sets of 150 when I was a teenager. From my experience, push-ups respond well to density training with submax sets. If you can do a solid 50, four sets of 30 with gradually decreasing rest periods until you bang it out in one long set should be about right.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:39 pm

Holy crap that is actually a method I didn't try and with my luck it would have worked. I did ladders, explosive training, max sets, weighted, on a bar, feet raised, benching similar weight, superslow and super fast fuuuuuuuuck.

I will try this.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:44 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:low BF can bite your ass...badly. .
Please elaborate. TIA.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:05 am

Cayenne wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:low BF can bite your ass...badly. .
Please elaborate. TIA.
Hormonal crash, immune system failure, chronic infection. It's extremely easy to put yourself in a true overtrained state (not I ran too many miles I gotta take couple weeks off..more like I need an IV and best rest and am on exercise restriction for 8 weeks or more).

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -body-fat/

This a ultra dumbed down explanation. For most people, any bodyfat below about 10 is unsustainable and really shitty for high performance. Athletes with full time support systems can maintain the right balance at very low BF to survive it but Gen Pop people cannot.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:36 am

Unless you are already 10% without trying g

Spells: the book Johno mentioned was distilled in the Ferris book, that was what I found useful