Reverse grip bench press

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Reverse grip bench press

Post by Shapecharge » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Is anybody fucking around with this? This Jim Stoppani guy who for some reason has crept into my Facebooks for some insidious reason even though I'm still not sure why is a proponent of this movement for upper pec development. He claims upwards of 30 percent upper pec activation compared to 5 percent for a standard incline bench. It's also supposed to be a little easier on the shoulders. Just wondering what the IGx take on this is...bullshit gimmick like kipping pullups or another way to skin the cat legit option. As always your personal information is safe with me.

Bob Wildes

Re: Reverse grip bench press

Post by Bob Wildes » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:32 pm

I did them years ago because Rick Weil said they were good for triceps work.

They were easier on my shoulders than a regular BP, but I go no upper pec stimulation out of them.

that dude's origins and insertions may be in positions that do cause him to build upper pecs with that
movement. Mine were not.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:31 pm

You can also just do pushups with the same hand position. Hands at about 4 and 8 o'clock seem to work best. Anthony Mychal wrote about this. Generally safer shoulder position due to the external rotation.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:25 pm

I tried these the other day. Worked up to 275 for a couple of reps but racked it because (a) I was terrified of dropping the bar on my face and (b) it's tough on my wrists.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:45 am

Beer Jew wrote:I tried these the other day. Worked up to 275 for a couple of reps but racked it because (a) I was terrified of dropping the bar on my face and (b) it's tough on my wrists.
I would have believed dropping the bar would improve your looks...... O:)
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:46 am

I tried these the other day. Worked up to 275 for a couple of reps but racked it because (a) I was terrified of dropping the bar on my face and (b) it's tough on my wrists.
I was going to post this. Tough on the wrists and dangerous. If you are having shoulder issues, parallel grip.

Who do you think you are? Anthony Clark?

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:47 pm

I used a football bar tonight on the bench for the first time. Really friendly on the shoulders and hits the triceps and chest pretty hard with less weight than regular bench. A lot of work to stabilise. Would definitely recommend trying that instead of reverse grip if you have access to one.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:04 pm

I've had folks do these as a floor press, starting position is a little better (can raise it on boards if they have a particularly thick chest) and mainly it was to just get in a press when shoulders were really inflamed. These were relatively pain free. My grapplers liked these a lot.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

macmad
Gunny

Post by macmad » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:11 am

I did these exclusively for a couple of months when I injured my wrist falling over during an attempt at a squat clean, then couldn't bench with normal grip
Got up to 145kg in an allround weightlifting comp, 7.5kg below my bench PB
It's a fun exercise but did nothing for my real bench or any specific muscle groups
Lift out feels risky but you get used to it, I'd never do this without safety racks

theoverman
Sarge

Post by theoverman » Fri May 19, 2017 4:41 pm

Bob Wildes wrote:I did them years ago because Rick Weil said they were good for triceps work.

They were easier on my shoulders than a regular BP, but I go no upper pec stimulation out of them.

that dude's origins and insertions may be in positions that do cause him to build upper pecs with that
movement. Mine were not.
Exactly this. I did reverse grip for about 6 mo after a shoulder injury, to the point where it got to within about 90% of my regular bp. It feels like it's all triceps.
riff raff fanclub president

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Sat May 27, 2017 2:37 pm

Loving these at the moment as an assistance movement. I'm stronger on them vs. a regular bench press which makes me wish I had good spotters I could bring into this scam.

Take your time upping the weights so you're well prepared if it gets squirrely. Craig Monson's advice of "if you can't do 10 reps and have a conversation, then why do it?" rings true here. Except I've been doing dead stop singles from the pins which I think are working and is what Jamie ChaosnPain was recommending years ago.

Baffled they aren't helping macmad's bench. Not sure how they couldn't? He's way stronger than I though.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon May 29, 2017 2:18 pm

Meh, risk vs return not so much heavy. Best part is it lets you feel the optimal bench groove.

No movement is magic.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Tue May 30, 2017 9:39 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:Best part is it lets you feel the optimal bench groove.
That sounds pretty valuable. Maybe for a few workouts at the beginning of a cycle?

My bench press feels like it's all over the place, I don't think I have a good handle on the groove for it.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:40 am

Nothing is a more natural feel of touching your elbows. If you van du[licate that bar path and shoulder elbow track, you will be on the way.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex