Pavhole's new book is out today

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Pavhole's new book is out today

Post by Ripe Turd » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:06 am

I saw the book on Amazon.
The Quick and the Dead is designed for an advanced minimalist like you. A culmination of five years of research and experimentation, it distills cutting-edge science to a straightforward protocol of only two basic exercises you mastered years ago: kettlebell swings and power pushups.
:finga:

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Pavhole's new book is out today

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:54 am

That's that Sharon Stone/Gene Hackman movie title from the 90's.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:21 am

And Leo Decaprio
"When times are good be grateful, when times are tough be graceful."

machinehead
Corporal

Post by machinehead » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:17 pm

The book is appears to be a repackaging of these 2 blog posts:

https://www.strongfirst.com/37-second-k ... -comeback/

"Pavel decided to use Template 033, a Strong Endurance™ protocol, essentially composed of two movements: one-arm swings and pushups.

The hard style swing is very important for the athlete who practices a combat sport. In boxing, the impulse starts from the ground and rises along the leg, the hips rotate thanks to the glutes, the impulse propagates through the core to the upper limbs, and finally moves through the upper limb that is about to strike. The swing allows you to explosively train the “hip snap” and the core, and the kettlebell float relates to the technique of the boxing “jab.”"

https://www.strongfirst.com/understandi ... -training/

"Essentially, AGT focuses on training bouts that push the ATP/CP system (pocket money) right to the edge of its capacity, but stopping the bout before glycolysis (debt) kicks in fully, basically avoiding the burn. You will then rest long enough to allow your ATP pockets to recover and then repeat the bout. This is done for a prescribed number of minutes, based on the goals of the training session or the protocol you’re following.

The game changer about this approach is that, after not too long, the recovery of the ATP/CP system becomes the job of oxidative system (the money tree). You spend all the money in your pocket by creating an oxygen deficit in your body causing the need to breathe heavier to allow work to continue, and then rest, to allow the money tree (oxidative system) to refill your pockets and then go on another short spending spree.

A quick and easy example of this style of training is “on the minute” training (OTM). Start your watch and do 10 swings, rest for the remainder of the minute, then at the top of the next minute preform 10 more swings. Repeat this process for the prescribed or desired amount of time. This will give you 10-15 seconds of hard work followed by 45-50 seconds of rest, and ensures there is a favorable environment in the body to allow for repeated bouts of work for extended periods of time."

I'm sure there's going to be more in this publication in order to generalize the concepts for the masses, including the hunting exploits of African cats.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:38 am

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:48 am

The latest instalment in the series "Milk the Swing".

By the way, the book ships from Amazon in 1 to 2 months. Get the Brethren to pay, get volume discount from vanity press, ship. Zero capital outlay, smart.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:53 pm

I've been doing swings and push-ups as a quicky workout for at least a decade or more. Not sure how you could milk a whole page out of that, much less a book.
Next will be swings to a comfortable stop followed by a quick recovery jog down the block and back, repeat for 20-30 minutes. Another of my favorites that could certainly be turned into another full length book as the latest and greatest of stand alone minimal programs.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:10 am

The con is that you pretend you can do them harder than anyone, and if you believe real hard, the magical Latvian fairy comes down and grants you What The Hell Effect beyond measure.

What 20 minutes of Q&D will look like
Every 30 seconds: 5 hard 1A swings, rest remaining time. Repeat other hand. Do 20 sets
Every 60 seconds: 10 fast push ups, rest remaining time. Repeat the next minute.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:28 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:10 am
The con is that you pretend you can do them harder than anyone, and if you believe real hard, the magical Latvian fairy comes down and grants you What The Hell Effect beyond measure.

What 20 minutes of Q&D will look like
Every 30 seconds: 5 hard 1A swings, rest remaining time. Repeat other hand. Do 20 sets
Every 60 seconds: 10 fast push ups, rest remaining time. Repeat the next minute.
I'd rather do heavy-ish singles or doubles on the minute, alternating a lower body lift on the odd minutes and an upper body lift on the even minutes.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:27 am

Amazon review by Geoff Neupert:
And Results?

The early adopters’ results are more-than-impressive - Strength increases in presses and pull-ups without training those lifts… Muscle mass accumulation - a pound of mass per week without bodybuilding… Drastically shaving times off road races without specific VO2Max training… Improving cardiac health, hormonal profiles and reversing the aging processes as measured thru telomere testing without fancy supplements -

All from either a simple two-exercise or one exercise program - your choice - performed between 12 and 30 minutes, 2 to 3 times per week.
I am not sure if I want to start jerking off or throwing up.

newguy

Post by newguy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Telomere testing....lol......

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:51 pm

Neupert never met a product by Pavel he wouldn't shill for.

StrongFirst, if anything, is far more insular than the RKC ever was.

newguy

Post by newguy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:45 pm

Insular and boring.

Boris

Post by Boris » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:30 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:51 pm
Neupert never met a product by Pavel he wouldn't shill for.

StrongFirst, if anything, is far more insular than the RKC ever was.
Sure seems that way.

Hanglow Joe
Staff Sergeant

Post by Hanglow Joe » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:09 pm

Instead of swings, sprint up your street 50 yards. Walk down, do 15-20 pushups. Repeat 10x. I need a book for that?

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:03 pm

Hanglow Joe wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:09 pm
Instead of swings, sprint up your street 50 yards. Walk down, do 15-20 pushups. Repeat 10x. I need a book for that?
Do NOT attempt that shit until you've mastered at least Simple or you will FOOK yourself up bad. What you've just outlined works, but only for advanced tactical MMA motherfuckers and leopards. You have to start with S&S and then buy the new book and first become an Ocelot (which will give you roughly the fitness you need for ranger school), then a Pampas Cat (or a Cheetah if you're looking for more mass), and only then attempt the Leopard protocol of sprints and pushups.

newguy

Post by newguy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:09 pm

Were the Ocelot and Pampas programs in Starting Strength?

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:20 am

Animal theme has been milked by the sports writers o lot. In Warrior Diets they compare how free animals eat - once a day obviously - and caged, three course meals three times a day. Then the question: what kind of animal are YOU?! The one who bought this book or caged?

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:39 am

I think we can safely predict one thing: within couple of years this way of training will displace HIIT. Just like HIIT displaced LSD some time ago.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:48 am

Sangoma wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:39 am
I think we can safely predict one thing: within couple of years this way of training will displace HIIT. Just like HIIT displaced LSD some time ago.
Thing is... from what I've been able to grasp from your latest articles, this might be an interesting new way to train.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:18 pm

What you've just outlined works, but only for advanced tactical MMA motherfuckers and leopards.
=D>

What is up with S&C and leopards.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:12 pm

StronkFirst is more leotard than leopard. What the heck ever happened to just lifting weights and going for a run?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:41 pm

I just purchased the Kindle version and took a hasty look at the thing.

Veredict: meh.

The biochemistry part seems worthy of a deeper read and the program itself is, basically, ten reps of ballistics or five reps of explosive push ups every three minutes, for thirty minutes.

I'm not saying it's not interesting, but I definitely won't be training like that. Not my cup of tea.

Hanglow Joe
Staff Sergeant

Post by Hanglow Joe » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:53 pm

Rif called it on Amazon, Pavel's best work!

He still does his blog which shows commitment but is so LULZ with him worrying about this CNS.

He needs a shave, looks like Dave Letterman. Pathetic, a 60 year old guy trying to be a fitness hipster.

I refuse to buy it.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:45 pm

Hanglow Joe wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:53 pm
Rif called it on Amazon, Pavel's best work!

He still does his blog which shows commitment but is so LULZ with him worrying about this CNS.

He needs a shave, looks like Dave Letterman. Pathetic, a 60 year old guy trying to be a fitness hipster.

I refuse to buy it.
I don't regret the purchase, it's cheap and interesting enough. But I don't see myself following that program, even if it's as good as they claim (it isn't).

I'd rather do low rep ballistics on the odd even minutes and grinds (proper grinds, not explosive execution) on the odd minutes, even if it's not mitochondrially optimal.

The bit about Craig Marker's telomeres study showing that he was fourteen years younger biologically since he adhered to the Q&D protocol was magnificent.
Last edited by SubClaw on Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.