Fucked up shoulder

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Fucked up shoulder

Post by Sangoma » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:38 am

Looks like I have myself rotator cuff impingement. I have been doing shoulder dislocates in the past, but lately they seem to be making pain worse. Any advice from the wise brethren?

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Fucked up shoulder

Post by baffled » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:45 am

I know Ido did a whole thing of hanging resolving shoulder issues. Maybe look it up. People seemed to do well with whatever the protocol was.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:00 am

• This book helped me, similar to what baffled was discussing:

Shoulder Pain? The Solution & Prevention: Fourth Edition

I think I heard about it from Maxwell on Rogan's podcast. Monkey grip on a bar for a few minutes. I didn't finish the book because I just did what I heard on the podcast and it worked.
  • Get a Donnie Thompson Bow-tie (fucking wish he and Spud had a comparable product for patellar femoral syndrome)
  • If the joint is irritated and sore, be really careful with banded mobilising etc. This has never ended well for me and probably delayed healing. Hooking your shoulder into a band and doing the MWOD stuff...just don't. That said thoracic mobility and Athlean-X dude's shoulder stretch videos helped. IIRC, he teaches safe arm positions so you're not yanking on the cuff.
  • After loads of rear-delt work and putting a lot more rowing and overhead pressing into my routines, it's stayed away for a long time *fingers crossed*.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:21 pm

Luke wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:00 am
After loads of rear-delt work and putting a lot more rowing and overhead pressing into my routines, it's stayed away for a long time *fingers crossed*.
This. That's my $.02. A little bit of band rowing and A's, T's, and Y's every day keeps shoulder pain at bay for me.
leansoliddogs.blog

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:40 pm

I third the above. Also, face pulls seemed to play a big role for me.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:20 pm

The hanging shit can also aggravate a shoulder that is inflamed

Boris

Post by Boris » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:24 pm

I do "YAT pulls" w. microband, high reps, usually once or twice a week. It's a preventative for me - not something I'd necessarily recommend if you already have an issue, but probably something to include after you start healing.
Video included in this post: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2018/06/the ... nt-to.html

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:02 am

1-3 sets of 8-20 elbow by side external rotations: keep ROM pain-free, even if it's very limited to begin with

followed by (if your shoulder is up for it)

1-3 sets of 8-20 elbow on knee external rotations: keep ROM pain-free, even if it's very limited to begin with

Do it up to every other day.
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

terra

Post by terra » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:12 am

Before anything,
Before anything,
Before anything...

Sort out the scap dyskinesis.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:53 am

Hanging wise - I have come across different advice. Kirsch - the author of the book recommended by Luke - says hang with shoulders out of the sockets. This apparently has the ability to increase subacromial space. Others say you should hang with the shoulders pulled in, as it strengthens the rotator muscles.

Thanks, guys, I will work on it. For now it is an ever repeating circle: get better, go train, pain is back, rest, get better, go train etc. Going for an MRI tomorrow, to exclude tears etc. Don't think I will have anything dramatic though.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:35 am

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:56 am

Thank you, Sir, I forgot we had it here.

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Sometimes do nothing

Post by Luke » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:08 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:20 pm
The hanging shit can also aggravate a shoulder that is inflamed
True! I did the hangs after a long period away from the gym and when acute inflammation had long since past.

The zeitgeist of coaching and PT avoids this repeatedly. The message to let the body chill and desensitize a bit is routinely skipped and could be extremely useful. I could be hallucinating but even the gentlest stretches intended to ease pain can seem to keep it there. While not too gentle, the couch stretch, for example, isn't for everyone with knee pain initially. Putting the kneecap on the ground in flexion can be really aggravating once shit is going on with the joint. This has a cascade effect mentally and physically.

A story that I read recently from a physio involved in pain science has intrigued me:

George Washington apparently woke up with a sore throat and was dead that night. His docs at the time, feeling compelled to remove the pain as quickly as possible, bled him out. If they had waited - and done nothing - Washington would have lived.

This physio hypothesized that the renown homeopathic medicine garnered around the time was perhaps less attributable to its effectiveness. Rather, the fact that it did no harm - and people recovered organically - meant it had the appearance of quality treatment.

I think about this when I hear Stan Efferding prescribe concentric leg presses with bands for knee pain. Did this really work? Or did avoiding flogging himself with heavy squats do the trick...or was it just time?

terra

Post by terra » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:21 am

Sangoma wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:53 am
For now it is an ever repeating circle: get better, go train, pain is back, rest, get better, go train etc. Going for an MRI tomorrow, to exclude tears etc. Don't think I will have anything dramatic though.
Can often mean simply not addressing the issue at the correct level.
Will be interesting to see what MRI shows. Then again, maybe not.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:14 am

MRI - nothing special.

Thinned supraspinatus tendon component with minor articular surface partial thickness tear and underlying moderate tendinosis.
A thickened anterior third infraspinatus tendon component with marked intra tendon high signal change and reduced fibre visibility.
Moderate chronic subscapularis tendinosis without a partial or full-thickness tear.
Normal-appearing supra and infraspinatus muscles.
Moderate subacromial bursitis.
Subacute moderate degenerative acromioclavicular joint changes.

The first orthopedic surgeon I asked for advice said I could get a steroid injection in the shoulder joint. I am not crazy about that idea - exactly because it doesn't address the issue at the correct level. So for now I started doing exercises from the 7 Minute Solution.

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:16 pm

Following the suggestions in this book helped mine.

"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:43 pm

I’m at the point of considering shoulder replacement, due to loss of range of motion in one shoulder from arthritis. Thought maybe it was rotator cuff or other soft tissue, until I had an x-ray during a doctor visit while getting my knee fixed, oddly enough. The orthopedic showed me where it is bone on bone, with mechanical interference so stretching is meaningless.

But just considering replacement. I am pain-free with it, oddly enough. I can feel the crepitus when it is loaded with weight, but that is just creepy, not painful. You learn to work around the motion restrictions. Also, what period of months do I want to give up? I ski all winter, bike, paddle, etc. Fuck.

Anybody else have a replacement? Experience?

Sucks getting old.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:18 am

I would think very hard about getting surgery for an asymptomatic condition, unless it is life threatening. It makes sense to work around movement restriction, as you said, and delay surgery for as long as possible.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:43 pm

JasonC wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:21 pm
Luke wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:00 am
After loads of rear-delt work and putting a lot more rowing and overhead pressing into my routines, it's stayed away for a long time *fingers crossed*.
This. That's my $.02. A little bit of band rowing and A's, T's, and Y's every day keeps shoulder pain at bay for me.
Same

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:13 am

Did you hurt it doing BJJ?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:21 am

Not directly, though I think it contributed. One day I did 20 kg snatches - 100 total. The next day at the end of BJJ session I realised my right shoulder hurts. I can't pinpoint anything specific expected of BJJ, such as uncontrolled violent kimura or armbar.

I think I forgot to remind myself of my age and did more than my body is capable of.