Dead Link

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Re: WiCkEd ReTaHd ClAn TrAiNiNg!

Post by Holland Oates » Tue May 12, 2009 4:01 am

5-11
50 snatches 40# insane-o-handle
50 10 and 2 swings with the big mace

First time boxing sparring in a long long time.

Got my fucking ass kicked.

My whole fucking face hurts. I gotta move my head more.

That is all.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Dazed

Post by Dazed » Tue May 12, 2009 5:10 pm

That is all.
God damn that made me laugh...
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed May 13, 2009 1:53 am

Dazed wrote:

That is all.
God damn that made me laugh...
It made me cringe. It is absolutely NO PURPOSE in letting someone punch you. At all. Please look up chronic traumatic encephalopathy, it's very serious.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Wed May 13, 2009 2:49 am

Mak, I know it probably doesn't matter but I had on headgear and 16 oz gloves. And we weren't trying to kill each other but we were throwing some harder than average punches. And I don't spar all that often. To tell the truth I take a worse beating boxing and training MMA than I did back in the day when I was in karate.

5-12
First BJJ class
worked on the bare bones basics of the Gi. Handles, collar chokes, passing the guard, amercana, and top armbar.

Then it was on to MMA class. Working on creating space an making your opponent move with elbow pressure and a softer more forgiving top mount ride for MMA.

I'm exhausted.

I may actually have to go to work tomorrow. But we'll just have to see.

judobrian

Post by judobrian » Wed May 13, 2009 11:10 am

Ed - headgear really only cuts down on the cuts - multiple studies show no protection for the brain. Not for nothin', but don't over-rely on the headgear.
Rain don't change the sun...

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Thu May 14, 2009 11:36 pm

No training since Tuesday.

Got caught short and had to go to work at 130 in the AM on Wednesday with no sleep. Up until nearly 130 in the PM. Slept to around 8 PM the up until now.

I'm fucking wiped. I'm not used to these crazy ass hours or sleeping in the hotel bed. Drinking Mothership Whit and considering passing out in the middle of the living room floor.

Fuck me sideways. If I stay up too late I drink too much beer and I don't sleep good. If I go to bed too early I get up too early and it does me little good.

Gonna run or lift tomorrow in the AM or at least when I get up. All depends on how my foot holds up. If the foot is good I'll do both.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat May 16, 2009 3:09 am

5-15
No running no lifting

Rolled in the gi for around an hour and a half.

Went over a lot of basic stuff.

Did all right. Pretty much worked a new guy and got fucking pasted by a 290# guy who wasn't wearing a gi. But I wore him down and swept him towards the end and fucking smashed him for a wee bit to get a little retribution for all the fucking tapping I did.

Hehe

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Mon May 18, 2009 1:47 am

5-17
No gi for an hour. Gi for an hour.

Got worked but I had fun. Pulled off a few decent sweeps and submissions and tapped like a motherfucker several times.

Good times.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Tue May 19, 2009 1:36 am

5-18
A light session.

I'm going to take it easy on the non BJJ day this week. Focus on flow, not using strength, and working my technique.

Today
15 to 20 minutes on the mat warming up. Animal walks, tumbling, mat drills, keylock drills, armbar drills, hip bump sweeps.

Finished up with some light flow rolling. I'd hit a sub then back up and go again slow so he could escape the technique and work a sweep or reversal.

Watching Dhani Tackles the Globe. He's training Sambo in Russia.

I was a bit stiff early in the day but the nice long warm up did wonders. I'm going to try and get into the gym early all week so I can get done early and get home at a decent hour.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man » Tue May 19, 2009 2:39 am

I have 4 hours of Dhani on my DVR, including tonight's show. He's a little whiny sometimes for a pro linebacker, and should leave the bug=eating to Zimmern, but I like the show.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Tue May 19, 2009 3:06 am

Grim Hamundarson wrote:I have 4 hours of Dhani on my DVR, including tonight's show. He's a little whiny sometimes for a pro linebacker, and should leave the bug=eating to Zimmern, but I like the show.
Yeah Dhani is good stuff. This show and Warriors are the only two shows I watch on a regular basis. He can be a bit of whiny fucker if things don't go his way and I agree the bug eating is shite.

Thanks for reading my training log.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Wed May 20, 2009 3:20 am

5-19
Walked around the zoo with my kid and classmates for a couple of hours today.

Gi class
passing the guard into the key lock sorry americana and then onto an armbar from a similar set up.

Rolled live for I don't know how fucking long. 30 minutes or more. Good times. The Amazon was a fucking animal tonight. Real aggressive and pulling of some decent moves. I'm damned proud.

Ran in rasslin shoes
1 sprint 30 box jumps down to 0 back up to 20
relay run with a 75# heavy bag 3 men on one end 2 on the other with a 4 man carry at the end
Back into the gym for no gi.
Worked a rear naked to an armbar
Time to roll again.

Rolled with some fucking new guy who thought it was the gawdamn freestyle championship. He shows up 2 hours after I've been there and then decides he's going for the championship belt. I took that shit for a bit. Told him to calm down and then he fucking did it again. So I a scramble ensued I rolled him to his back, took sidemount fucking crushed him and hit him with an americana so fucking fast he didn't have time to blink.

I wanted to pull his fucking head off but my back was tightening up and I couldn't take much more.

Got sub'd by a little bad ass dude and called it a night.

Gonna try and get some poontang tonight.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri May 22, 2009 1:57 am

Easy night. Just me the instructor (who is hurt), a bad ass little BJJ spider monkey, and the owners boy.

Worked transitions
Mount Americana to top armbar to omoplata to mount to mounted triangle, roll to finish

Uke defends the Americana by rolling to that hip and reaching through and securing their own arm, that sets up your arm bar, Uke does the 6 o'clock sweep to stack you, you control the head and grab their belt and kick your outside leg out and roll through kicking their shoulder through to the omoplata, they roll out of the omoplata, to their back you lay your shin across their bicep and do a bicep cutter to mount, as they move to relieve the pressure on the bicep you slide the knee over and swing your lower leg under their head to set up the triangle, secure your shin, and roll to your back to the triangle. If you can't secure the triangle due to thick legs and/or piss poor technique you transition to the teepee or if the block with the arm around your leg you switch your legs to the opposite of the triangle set up and gable grip with your arms locked around your knee and their head.

Whoo that's a lot of shit.

Rolled light since the instructor was too hurt to work tonight and the other guys are 80 and 90 pounds lighter than me.

Outside for conditioning.
1 man flips the tire 60 yards up the parking lot while everyone else does body exercises
push ups with feet up on the stem wall
squats
dips
box jumps
switching every 15 seconds until the tire makes it to the top and the next guy goes.

Something like 6 or 8 of us with times ranging from 1:36 to nearly 3 minutes.

I did it in 1:40. Pissed me off I should have done it in under 1:30.

Called it a night.

Fixing to drink some Shiner and ice my shoulder.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat May 23, 2009 3:43 am

5-22
mat drill warm up
10 armbar drills
10 keylock sit ups
10 hip bump sweeps

Worked on technique
Scissor sweep
backside sweep off a blocked scissor sweep
chaining together 4 sidemount escapes from this video
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/988711/ch ... t_escapes/

Rolled for about 20 to 30 minutes.

Post by ___________ » Sat May 23, 2009 5:53 am

Ed Zachary wrote:chaining together 4 sidemount escapes from this video
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/988711/ch ... t_escapes/
:vom: :vom: :vom: :vom: :vom:

No. Just fucking no.
Not a one of those will work on a determined blue belt in the same weight class as an opponent.
God, there is so much foul shit floating around on the interwebz about JJ.
There are 4 basic side mount escapes, & they depend on how your opponents hands are in relation to you.
None of them lead back to guard.

Fucking fuck.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat May 23, 2009 9:51 am

Marc, side control is my absolute worst position for me to escape from. I'd love to hear your take. Hell, if you could film another video and put it up that would be even better.

Thanks, man. I'll go take a look at your log because I think you wrote something about side control escapes not too long ago.

EDIT: I found some stuff from 2/13 from your hard heart log. I'm gonna paste it to my log, but seriously any extra info would be cool.
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat May 23, 2009 3:15 pm

Well shit.

I figured I'd find out if it'd work when I actually got to try it on my instructor Tuesday.

Marco, what is a good source of videos online?

Post by ___________ » Sat May 23, 2009 3:58 pm

There is a written account on one of my logs about how to escape side control properly.
I'll work on a video, but it's not going to be public.
I'll hook y'all up on a file transfer site, but I'll need your word that you don't spread it across teh fuckin' interwebz.

Post by ___________ » Sat May 23, 2009 4:14 pm

Here's a start:

The running man escape, applicable to the opponent having both hands on the near side of your body.
Now, modify it slightly to get up & back to wrestling base, rather then pulling the guard.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat May 23, 2009 4:52 pm

I just got done reading your side control post on your old Hard Heart log.

And I won't spread anything you don't want circulated.

Thanks for the vid.

I actually just finished downloading both of Saulo's training dvds the other day and I just haven't reviewed them yet.

For my own review later:
2/13/09

Private with Ricky:
The most productive hour I've ever done of jiu jitsu.
We went over side mount escapes.
Principle #1: I do not escape to guard. We escape to a dominant position or standing, & attacking.
Principle #2 There are only 4 combinations of side control: 2 hands, & 2 sides of the body to put them on. With 4 permutations, I have 4 escapes.

Escape #1: Opponent is holing with the "classic" side mount. Head hand over far side of body, near hand checking hips. If the near hand comes up to attack, we grab the tricep, & they can not move freely to attack. I thread, & come to one small step, another small step, back step to 90 degrees from where we were, extend arms, putting the head to the opposite shoulder to protect the d'arce. Base up to knees, ready to fire our peek out or shot. If when threading, the opponent attempts north/south, I keep the hip check on the opponent, roll up to a low single, & apply a cross side achilles lock for the finish. Practice this motion 100 times/day for the next week.

Escape #2: Opponent has both hands on the far side. Simply post on the tricep, & reverse shrimp out, taking the back, or standing/attacking.

Escape #3: Opponent has both hands on the near side, common in a gi, playing in the collar, & gripping the gi pants. I grab the bicep on the head arm to relieve pressure, cross face the face, bring the elbow through to post the head, put the other hand down to the hip to protect the hook coming in, & sit up & out. No weight on me, & I'm ready to roll out & up to attack.

Escape #4: Opponent has the most common grip, the underhook & around head control. Reach in on the bicep to relieve pressure, cross face, keep the cross face in place, monkey bar out to a d'arce choke. If the opponent is ready & bases up, he will do 1 of 2 things: A wrestler will base up in a referee's position. Cut the short side, to taking the back. Toss the hooks in, choke on, & shake hands, because we are done. A jiu jitsu guy will try to sit to guard, in which case, we step deep, use the cut short side, take the back, put the hooks in, choke on, & shake hands, because we are done.

Then drilling on linking these together between the holds, & then off of the passes. Each pass has a natural finish to come to a side mount permutation, & we simply ambush them, sweeping from the bottom & nearly being passed, to a dominant position & a finish.

A great way to spend a Friday lunch. I will not be held for 30 seconds on bottom, because I will move, move, move, escape & go to the top position.

Post by ___________ » Sat May 23, 2009 7:44 pm

No problems. As to the spreading, the 4 we use aren't "secret", nor are the applications, but, being it's not mine, it's the boss man's, I'm not going to do a video on it for general public consumption.

Basically the #4 escape. Close as I can find on the interwebz.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat May 23, 2009 8:52 pm

Thanks again for the help Marco.

This kind of shit just reinforces how much work I have to do on just the basics. It's the details that are killing me. But I'm not frustrated I'm actually loving it. I don't have to worry about getting bored anytime soon.

I'm still sticking with my basic plan to master 2 basic sweeps from each position for this year. Everything else is just extra.

Do you have any opinion on Dave Camarillo's book Guerrilla Jiu Jitsu? I picked it up last night as a bit of supplement for my stand up training in the gi. I'd also like to pick up a good self defense book or DVD from the BJJ stand point.

I'm planning on competing at least once this year in the gi and without but my main focus is still the long term and training BJJ for my own personal art and real world applications.

Can't thank you enough brother.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sun May 24, 2009 5:51 pm

5-24
Adding back in running starting this week.

Cultfit Endurance workout
run 5' walk 5'
run 4' walk 4'
run 3' walk 3'
run 2' walk 2'
run 1' walk 1'
30' total time on the road just a little over 2 3/4 miles

Off to the Renaissance Festival to look at muffin top boobies

And as much as I'd like to say they'll look like this
I'm sure they are going to be more like this

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sun May 24, 2009 11:58 pm

Back from the Ren Faire. I saw a chick who had jello boobies. It was fookin awesome. They jiggled and they wiggled and I wanted to slap them like bongo drums.

Drinking Sam Adams Summer Ale and taking it easy.

I am taking it easy tonight and tomorrow. I may even go down to my mom and dad's and have a bit of soak in their cold ass pool.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Wed May 27, 2009 2:23 am

5-26
Gi class
I was dragging ass for some reason. I felt good. I should have been on point but I couldn't keep up on the mat drills.
Muscle memory drill
triangle choke, kimura from the guard, and collar chokes
2 minutes each
Rolled a couple of times nothing significant to speak of. I'm not disappointed since I know I'm going to have off nights and this was definitely an off night.

Outside for conditioning
Star jumps 60 yards
run 20 yards down the wall and box jump back
walking lunges 60 yards
sprint 60 yards
box jumps
step then squat 60 yards
sprint 60 yards
box jumps dips squats push ups
star jump 60 yards
sprint back
box jumps dips squats push ups
And I think that was it.

I made up for sucking so bad at the start of the night.

Inside for nogi/mma class
worked on escaping the guillotine
Then rolled.

Rolled with a 290# guy who is crazy fast and agile. I didn't do anything worth mentioning except for being able to get my guard back fairly consistently and I came with about 2 cunt hairs of hitting him with the scissor sweep and I defended his arm triangle. Rolled with a couple of little fellas so I was able to take it easy. Rolled with the instructor and got my ass handed to me of course but it wasn't any worse than normal and once I got loosened back up I was able to scramble a bit. Rolled with a little collegiate wrestler and was able to scramble with him for a bit, caught him with my only submission of the night. Armbar from back mount.

Came home for a contrast shower and some Bridgeport Extra Special Bitters.