Training for the European Open BJJ Championships, January 09

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Training for the European Open BJJ Championships, January 09

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:30 am

Fuck it, it's time to get back to serious business. I didn't post here for more than a week, mostly because I had better things to do - putting on a tournament among other things. Working at the tournament and watching lots of fights was a huge fuckin' spark to me. Pedro Duarte arrived yesterday, so it's as good a time as ever to get seriously back at it. At the end of next month Bruno Bastos, the Nova Uniao Black Belt who coached Mirko Cro Cop, will be here for 1 week first and then come back for another a bit later. Our Academy is really rockin' on all fronts right now.

Monday, July 14. BJJ x 2
Two 1.5 hour sessions/day for the next 6 days. In the morning session I got some really good new details on the Omo plata and even if this is the only thing I get out of the seminar, I'm already happy as the omo is so central to my game. Of all the guys that has ever taught me, Pedro has the style that suits me best, so I'm going to get everything out of this week.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Training for the European Open BJJ Championships, January 09

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:40 am

=D>
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:09 pm

Tuesday, July 15. BJJ+SW
The campaign got right on track. Got my first 6 minutes with Pedro during the AM BJJ session and some excellent feedback. He asked if I'm going to Rio to kick ass again and I said that one day I'll have to. During the evening nogi session I tapped my benchmark with a side choke. My resolution to fight again instantly made a huge impact on how I roll. Got a ton of great stuff that was right up my alley again and can't wait for tomorrow. This is how life should be at all times.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:21 am

One thing I need to clarify about my benchmark: he doesn't like to be tapped and goes totally apeshit crazy if someone does -- which is rare since he's getting really fuckin' good and is actually much better than me already. I still tapped him, though, fully aware that there was going to be a price to pay. After that I went through a very rough ride - like a fuckin' meat grinder on meth it was. At one point during his freak out I tried to take his back and before I got the hooks in he just exploded up, sending me flying. I think I landed from 6 feet on my back. The point of this shit is that I'm really fuckin' sore and beaten all over and had a hard time sleeping last night. Still pushing today, though. The AM session is done and we just had a huge barbecue with lots of great training talk on my backyard. Gonna try a short nap now and training again in an hour.

Shugyo motherfuckers! This is great fun.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:14 pm

Wednesday, July 16. BJJ x 2
During the barbecue Pedro told me not to let the white belts get away too easy and instead to relentlessly work on my subs with them, so I ass raped a couple of them to the point that they missed their mamas tittays. It is really crazy how good I feel and how my rolling is suddenly on a completely different level. Put 2 guys away with a new choke Pedro showed yesterday, swept people with a sweep from today, took a much bigger purple with another choke from Monday... is just insane what is going on after 2 years of kinda half-hearting it. I'm totally exhausted and need to lay down a bit, but very, very happy. I know I'm going to kick ass in tournaments again. :axe:

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:59 am

Good morning, folks. Just woke up and needed a solid 20 minutes of JM with some moaning and groaning before I was able to haul my ass to the kitchen for some coffee. My whole upper back feels like every part is not in it's proper place. Damn. Need someone to put it in order. Probably from the slam the other day. BTW, the guy who tossed me said it looked closer to a 1.5 meter drop than my perceived 2 meters, but it was definitely the highest I've ever landed on my back from. Come to think of it, there's really no place that ain't hurting a bit. Off to training...

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:34 am

AM session done. Pedro didn't let me spar this time - said that I need to recover a bit, but it was still not an easy one. Lot's and lots of omo platas... Softened me up nicely. Then we had a huge meal with excellent training talk. Now some rest and training again in 4 hours.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:12 pm

Thursday, July 17. BJJ x 2
Almost puked during the PM session rolling which just ended. My hands are shaking and I can't think clearly, but I'm very happy. Gonna throw myself on the sofa, watch a movie, drink one or two beer and have myself a nice relaxing spliff. Life is great. Take care!

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:38 am

Aaah, good Friday morning, my friends. Amazingly I got up smoothly from bed, no soreness, but every muscle feels completely wasted. No matter how much I try to sleep or eat, it seems that I just can't get enough of either to compensate for this shit. Having a big cup of coffee and reading some Training Logs and the TF now. Training in 30 minutes.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:00 pm

You seem to be in great spirits lately Stig. Glad to see it!

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:27 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:You seem to be in great spirits lately Stig. Glad to see it!
Hell YEAH! The back hasn't caused any problems at all during this extremely hard week.

Friday, July 18. AM BJJ + PM SW
Had to spar some visiting fucken' animals in the AM and I was pretty sure I was going to die after that. Held my own very nicely too. Then we took my boat and went to a nice place for a refreshing swim. In the afternoon I just wasn't able to spar anymore and just collapsed on the tatamis after the techniques. One more day left and I'm really, really surprised how well I've done. As usual during camps, nobody else has been able to do all the sessions, but this time I didn't think I could either. I'm in much better shape than I thought.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:30 am

AAARRRRGH!!! I'm hit. Woke up with the whole left side of my upper back in a cramp from hell. Seems like the slam finally caught up with me. Can't move without big pain, can't breathe proper and definitely can not train, so I guess I'll just prepare for the after camp barbecue and try to find someone who can crack all the pieces into their right place in my ribcage. BTW, my brother broke a rib yesterday during the SW, so this is actually nothing.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:33 pm

Monday, July 21. Judo
There was a solid Judoka, so I asked him to teach a stand-up class. Great stuff and lot's of drilling throws + stand-up sparring. Still a bit beaten from the seminar.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:45 am

OK, it was too much + I got hurt, so it's been pretty much just this and boating for a week:

Sound sample: http://www.supload.com/music/Liiteri-Ju ... ZRJ9F.html

A chair attempted to ass rape me last Tuesday, I protected with my tail bone and it's still hurting too much for training. That and I've felt pretty beat up from the camp too.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:03 pm

Took another week completely off. This time I had it organized so that I didn't work either, no phone, no internet... Just relaxing and enjoying the short arctic summer, yard work, boating, playing the guitar, etc. I'm taking at least this week off from work and will try to make it a whole 4 weeks off, which hasn't happened in 20 years, except if I have traveled.

Monday, August 4. BJJ
My tail bone is still hurting like fuck, but I was able to pull off everything, including tough sparring, without too many tears. After 2 weeks off from any structured training I'm bubbling over with enthusiasm and need to pace myself... which I did by doing a ladder to 10 reps of 1 arm LCC&J, alternating sets with a buddy, right after the sparring.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:48 am

Tuesday, August 5. Active recovery
Went to the gym with some training partners. Warmed up with the Astanga sun salutations then I drilled jerks and snatches with some light bells in between some windmills, TGU's, rubberband stuff, BJJ techniques and grappling drills. All very light but we stayed there for 2 hours so it ended up a pretty good amount. Feels good!

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:45 am

Ice Nigger wrote: ...need to pace myself... which I did by doing a ladder to 10 reps of 1 arm LCC&J, alternating sets with a buddy, right after the sparring.
Yeah, in case someone didn't get it, I was poking fun at my own crazy. I just did this same shit a month or so ago and was sore for days... Still I had to be stupid enough to repeat it, when half of it would have been just fine for starters. Anyways, I was so fucken' sore last night that I had to do a lot of JM (I'm working on some new ideas with this) to loosen up. BTW, JM is always part of my day, even if I don't log it. This charged me up so much that I didn't fall asleep before 3 AM and just laid awake planning my training strategies all the way to January. KB's are gonna be a part of it.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:18 am

An opportunity to good to pass presented itself and it required me to go through an old boat that has been unattended for 3 years. So, this week has basically gone by with my hands sinked into 2 Volvo Penta Diesel engines. They both spin like clockwork now, as does the rest of the boat. More about it when/if I finish the deal. I did some training but this whole deal has been too intense to keep track of it. Some times when I get carried away I don't sleep or eat until the job is done...

Dazed

Post by Dazed » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:17 pm

Ice Nigger wrote:Some times when I get carried away I don't sleep or eat until the job is done..
Pack some shit that is easy to eat and high in protein. Peanuts, beef jerky or whatever fits the bill in your area. I've done the same thing and with a little planning, end up being more efficient and less runover when the smoke clears...good luck.
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:44 am

OK, situation over - I decided not to buy the boat, even as it would have been a good investment. In between frenzying about the boat I did carefully play with the KB's every day for about a week now. Just re-learning the moves and staying far away from failure and mindful of the back. Yesterday I did some BJJ too. Now when I've given up on that boat I should be back on normal schedule...

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:24 pm

Dazed wrote:
Ice Nigger wrote:Some times when I get carried away I don't sleep or eat until the job is done..
Pack some shit that is easy to eat and high in protein. Peanuts, beef jerky or whatever fits the bill in your area. I've done the same thing and with a little planning, end up being more efficient and less runover when the smoke clears...good luck.
Dazed, that's not the problem. The problem is that I don't even get hungry or think about food when something interesting enough is going down. Even if I tried, I don't think I could eat. And I'm not happy without that kind of shit. I always need something that completely consumes me or I get very bored and start some shit just for the hell of it.

Wednesday, August 13. BJJ
Taught a high tempo class with lot's of drills and sparring, concentrating on the open guard. Basically just repeating stuff Pedro was teaching during the camp. Some very intense positional sparring from the open guard, repeat the techniques and then 6 minute rounds of rolling until people were unable to move. Shugyo!

BTW, I can feel the KB work in my shoulders.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:54 am

Well, if I'll finally get to enter some training here...

Thursday, August 14. Conditioning + BJJ
Went in the AM and with a brown belt and put in a real good workout - back rehab, light KB work and 30-40 minutes of rolling. 2.5 hours altogether.

Friday, August 15. Conditioning + BJJ

Did pretty much the same as Thursday, but at this point I had slight sciatica, so I was extremely careful with the bells and instead did a lot of OHSQ's with a broom stick. I think the problems I get immediately from touching the bells has to do with my hips and that's where I'm gonna concentrate the work. I did some swings while concentrating on folding from the hips only and the OHSQ's were for the purpose of opening up the hips too. There has to be a solution and I have a feeling that when I crack this one, I'll have the key to a strong back. I've intensified the rehab, too and in addition to McGills big three, I've introduced windmills, OHSQ and some rows into the daily program.

Saturday, August 16. Conditioning + BJJ
Taught 2 kids classes in a row. We just split the kids into 2 groups and group 2 were allowed submissions for the first time and I don't think I'll easily forget the excitement in their eyes. I have a real hard time getting people involved with the kids classes and as the guy who took care of them moved away, I have another job on my shoulders -- Well, I actually share it with my brother who's kids train. I enjoy it a lot, though. I learn while teaching them and some of these kids are going to be really good one day. After 2.5 hours of class, I stayed for some conditioning and re/prehab work.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:52 pm

Monday, August 18. BJJ
Gave away a fuckin' Kimura to a visiting blue belt that I wanted to test myself against. I used to handle him and felt like that now too: I started from my back (cause I'm weaker there), did several decent sub attacks and swept him over when he over defended and passed to half, but then I fucked up and gave away my arm. Fuck! I even had several chances to get out of it, but I was arrogant and thought he wouldn't get it and just continued my pass instead of first eliminating the danger by getting my arm free. A stupid fuckin' mistake that I keep doing way too often, even though my mantra lately has been: "never give away anything and if someone takes something, take it back immediately!"

I'm going to get really depressed and retire to my igloo now.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:21 pm

Kimura and triangle are the two submissions that I always react to instantaneously. Other movements typically have more opportunities to counter, but those two are tough.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:57 am

Yeah. I already thought I was rid this problem after Joni kept putting me in the Kimura over and over and I learned the lesson. Used to have the same problem with the triangle too. Somehow this was part of the problem - I thought that I had defended the Kimura for years against better guys. Fuck, I'm still ashamed, but it's all good, since I WILL learn from it...

What I forgot to mention yesterday was that another visiting strong blue that I tested myself against put me to sleep and it took me quite a fuckin' while to realize where I was. LOL. Was a bad day, but some times a bad day is just what you need. Maybe it makes me feel a bit better that these guys are only half my age, way stronger and that they win tournaments? Fuck no, it doesn't.