Training for the European Open BJJ Championships, January 09

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Training for the European Open BJJ Championships, January 09

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:55 pm

That's a great story Stig.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:16 pm

Ice Stigger, was the shooting anywhere near you?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:59 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Ice Stigger, was the shooting anywhere near you?
No. It was extremely bizarre to follow it go down live over the web and the radio, though.

Tuesday, September 23. Active recovery

Taught kids class and then stayed to stretch especially the legs and hips real good.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:45 pm

WOW, today was my first, practically back pain free day in over 2 years!!! Went to my physio this morning and it was already better than it had been before and I told him his shit is working magic manna. He proceeded to stretch me out some more and then put some needles and electricity into my back and hip. Absolutely no pain since that.

Wednesday, September 24. BJJ

Did a solid class and took the sparring lightly / saving myself for the 300 tomorrow. Great day!

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:17 am

Felt a bit sick Thursday, so I rested and only did some light stretching. Friday was open doors and the house was packed. Only some very light rolling as I still didn't feel completely ok. Saturday I taught 2 kids classes and then stayed for some easy sparring. Some of the kids can actually do some decent sparring already. I guess I could have knocked out the 300 too and was already standing under the bar, but decided to try and be smart and rest a bit more.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:25 pm

Yeah, was a good decision to rest. I felt sick in the evening yesterday and even puked a couple of times. My brother had felt a bit sick during the weekend too and puked at work, so it's likely some kind of a bug.

Monday, September 29. BJJ + 300
New beginners class started. I taught it and did some light sparring - the back was a bitch right from wake-up today and still is. Not even the Physio could help it at all this time. Just a small constant annoying pain. Oh, and the Physio said that he has learned to suspect that my opinions about pain need to be multiplied a lot. I was contemplating it today and he might be right. I've had so many broken bones and painful injuries during my life that I might have learned to ignore a lot of it. Anyways, I didn't do any hard sparring and finished with the 300. Too many distractions and tired enough to not even try to set a better time. Just about 28 minutes.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:05 am

So, yes, to be honest, the back was pretty fuckin' bad on Monday and a lot of the 300 movements hurt like fuck, but I was in denial about it as usual. In the evening when I was bitching about the back again being fucked up Virpi made a remark about it maybe being due to the massive amounts of stretching I was suddenly doing all the time. She might have been right, since I cut back on it and it is now a bit better.

Tuesday, September 30. BJJ
Just taught kids class, very light sparring and some stretching.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:30 pm

Wednesday, October 1. BJJ/SW
Standard BJJ class with some no gi sparring thrown in to prepare some folks for the Finnish Championships. Fuck the back! I no longer gonna give a shit if it hurts or not.

Dazed

Post by Dazed » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:32 pm

Stiggs,

I'll second the notion that stretching might not be the best path. It's a double edged sword and I still get cut by it off and on.

IME, the order of importance for back sufferers, once past the point of Sarno is:

1-Mobility
2-Strength
3-Stretch

Maybe you can replace some of the stretching time with easy sun salutations. You'll get bloodflow and a light stretch in one nice package. Those things were my first step to recovery way back in the day.

PS - Don't be a dick and fuck up your back even more, you're not a pussy when you listen to the bullhorn that is your back.

Good luck.
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:20 am

Dazed and Confused, sometimes I just get frustrated and say stupid shit. Occasionally I get really fuckin' frustrated and do stupid shit too, but of course I will continue to be careful... I hope.

Thursday, October 2. BJJ
The marketing have paid off and we have a huge fuckin' number of new students starting now - the newspaper article turned out excellent and we spread flyer's and banners like shit. Both Boxing and BJJ is crowded to the brim. There was a slight fuck up with the changing of schedules and what was supposed to be open mat ended in me running this class completely alone and I was a bit over my head trying to teach 10+ completely new people all by myself. I think I managed to put them through a decent class, though, and will make sure that some more advanced students/teachers will be around to help from now on. Damn, I'm running way too much of the circus now and need to activate more people. And we need at least one more kids class...

At the same time I'm the middle of some pretty huge negotiations and shit at work and it seems that the spare time I have for just myself and family is getting too scarce for my liking - once again. Maybe I need to up the weed consumption and calm down a bit more. Fortunately the work related stuff is very close to a deal now.

Anyways, I was going to do the 300 after class, but I wasn't completely sure if my sore throat was due to the bad "flying" RNC right on the apple by one of the fire breathers preparing for SW comp on Wednesday or if I was coming down with something, so I skipped it. Good call as I'm now home resting with the fuckin' flu. Oh and I revenged the RNC with an equally nasty Guillotine from a Sprawl and was pretty proud of it too. Didn't tap this particular guy for a while and the sparring was very equal, fast and furious. I also noticed that I didn't breathe nearly as hard as usual and felt much stronger at the end - the 300 rocks!

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:32 am

Saturday, October 4. BJJ
Taught 3 classes in a row: Junior 1, Junior 2 and new beginners class - like 4 hours of BJJ, but I only did the warm-ups and some light sparring at the end as I felt pretty tired still - in fact tired enough that I tried to get someone else to run the classes, but everyone had an excuse or two. Then I went straight to work to supervise a modification project of a machine. When I finally got home late at night I burned, got inspired and drew a big assed Mindjet process chart complete with critical measuring points to help a friend with a business that is growing beyond his managing capabilities. I think I got to bed around 4.30 AM - another great, productive day.

Feels like the day ended up a bit too intense and I also pretty much forgot to eat 'cept for the 4 raw eggs I had right after training. Gonna try to just rest today... Oh yea, I have a meeting in a couple of hours...

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:14 am

You are hardcore Stig.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:52 am

I once fought a kid who had "HARDCORE" tattooed over his abs. I thought it was a somewhat amusing tattoo and tapped him out with a Triangle. Yeah, I'm a man of extremes for sure. Sometimes, if I don't have the inspiration, I do absolutely nothing at all.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:20 am

Didn't train yesterday, but I was talking to my Dad on the phone. He used to be a top level Marathoner and placed 8th in the World Championships for veterans 20+ years ago. At 53, or so, he was in the shape of his life and was all set for the World Championships when he was hit by a car just 3 weeks before the competition. His right leg was practically crushed from knee down and he was hospitalized for a long time. They managed to save the leg but he could never again run. I firmly believe that he would have won the motherfuckin' thing. His previous best on the Marathon was around 2.27 and he was in much better shape. Nobody did that kind of times in the race... I might be a bit hardcore from time to time, but my Dad is a fuckin' Legend with this shit. When he was retired from his work he was replaced by a machine because nobody was able to shovel and pull the tons of Dynamite he was processing / day and he was running to work and back home EVERY day - 9.5 km x 2 and that was easy days. On harder/longer days he could do 25 -30 km on his way home. Not to mention the weekend runs.

Anyways, he is now 75 and wasn't able to run one step in 23 years. He's bicycling, skiing (also with roller skis in the summer) and walking like hell and does a 90 km x country ski race every winter (keeps improving his time and last time he said that he's probably going to meet his end in one of the uphills one of these years). Oh, and he keeps building new sheds for all the wood that he chops manually - no way is he going to be able to burn it all.

During the weekend he did his first half marathon after the accident and he was supposed to walk through it. "I don't know what happened", he said, " I was just caught up in the competitive spirit and went faster and faster until I realized that I was definitely not walking anymore. After a while I couldn't feel my leg, but there was 3 guys in front of me that I was catching up on, so it was just not possible to slow down. Then I stumbled on the numb leg and fell over just a few K's from the finish. I still made it through but I wasn't able to get up from bed for 2 days now. Recovery is a bitch when you get older..."

I was reflecting over this and it seems to be a theme with the oldest child. My dad is the firstborn, I am also - and have this to a somewhat lesser extent, IMO, as well as my oldest daughter, but nobody else of our relatives has it nearly as bad as us. I'm afraid my daughter is on the same level as my Dad and I continuously have to slow her down. It's a two edged sword.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:22 am

The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.

Dazed

Post by Dazed » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:47 pm

Great story Stig, inspirational to say the least.

BTW - do you generally not need much sleep or have you just gotten accustomed to it?
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:35 am

Dazed, I just now got up after a 12 hour sleep and usually I sleep quite a lot although I've noticed that I need less lately. That was not a typical day, but an example of me getting carried away to the extreme. It keeps happening. Some times more often than others. Right now I seem to be inspired into shit like that.

I never got any fever but am still coughing up some phlegm and feeling tired, headache, etc., so I didn't train but instead did crazy amounts of work for the last days + helped teach a couple of classes. Gonna see how I feel today and decide if I train or just teach beginners class and don't roll.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:29 am

Thursday, October 9. BJJ very light
Taught beginners class and still felt fluish. In the morning I felt like shit again and my daughter got to bitch to me: "Now you're doing exactly the same thing that you told me not to do and that was just a week ago..." :dense: So I asked her how long before she was able to train after the flu and she said 2 weeks and 2 attempts at it too early. Shit. Stubborn fuckin' flu. I guess I'll just wait it out completely now. Oh, Bruno is back next week...

I excanged a few PM's with Steve Maxwell re my back earlier and he recommended slow and controlled back extensions. Got this piece of equipment yesterday and started with just 1 slow and controlled rep last night and the same this morning. So far, so good. Gonna take it slow and carefully.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:50 pm

It's very wise of you to tap Maxwell as a resource. Good luck as always.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:17 pm

WOOOOHOOO!!! Our Kids just cleaned table at a Tournament for kids only. Went there with 10 competitors and came home with 6 medals - 2 of each color. I have to admit that I had some extra tears in my eyes when my Nephew absolutely wiped the Tatamis in the advanced division for 97-99 born. He's been working very hard for 2 years and just today, IMO, overcame some big psychological obstacles and put on a great display of elegant skill. The guy who wiped floors with him a couple of months ago had nothing on him today as he went through the division 3-0 to the win. We also scored best Academy and I just came here to read that Marc also won yesterday, so it was pretty much a perfect day.

Saturday, October 11. Long Day of BJJ
Ran 3 classes in a row again, 2 kids and 1 beginner. Sparred lightly in each. Kids 2 was mostly talking to them about the slightly less important winning vs losing and the more important learning to give their all no matter what and especially no matter what someone in the audience might think about their performance. IMO, this paid off big time and everyone went to their limits. Much less disappointment than other teams too and none of our guys cried when they lost. I'm very proud of them all.

Probably the greatest thing I've ever seen at a Tournament was when I went to the warm-up area and all the kids were just rolling their hearts out, teams completely mingled and everyone either laughing or discussing techniques together only minutes after meeting for the first time. Apparently the place had gone unsupervised for a while and the kids had initiated it all by themselves.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:18 am

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:54 am

I forgot to mention that I also picked up Bruno from Lahti on Sunday. His English had improved a lot during his 2 months stay around Finland so we managed to have a pretty good conversation on our 3 hour drive home.

Monday, October 13. BJJ with Bruno Bastos

I wasn't completely sure if I was tired from the long and exiting Sunday or if it was still the flu, so I decided not to spar and see how I would feel afterwards. The training felt good enough to do one round of sparring... and then another and so on, so it ended up a normal class. No problems afterwards and although I still cough up the occasional slime ball I think I'm ready to go at it again.

The first of many more to come:

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:14 am

Very busy....

Tuesday, October 14. BJJ with Bruno Bastos
Later.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:57 am

Trained normally with Bruno, including Thursday, but since that I've been engaged in the biggest battle of my life and hardly slept. Sometimes the corporate world makes the Tatamis look pretty fuckin' lame, but the same tools and principles applies. I have a good submission hold right now and hopefully today I can train BJJ again.
Last edited by PC Polar Circle Person on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:17 pm

Tuesday, October 21. BJJ + 300
Another busy day and completely "forgot" to eat. Just made it in time to teach kids class until 7:30PM. Right after that I did the 300 beginner level in 18:24 while being really fuckin' hungry, went home, ate a pound of meat and threw myself on the sofa with the laptop. Maybe I have some time to surf the IGx for a while...