"It's a fine line, Ranger...

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Re: "It's a fine line, Ranger...

Post by johno » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:42 pm

Sept. 12

I arrived late & Eric had taken off early. So Bob was in charge.

Side Control Escape - Control his hips with hand & knee, arch into him to make space, then Crossface to make more space to get Underhook. Then punch up w/ Underhook & Elbow Escape down, take his leg & pop to your knees.

I started the drill with this young guy. After a while, he unilaterally decided to make things more interesting by making it a spar.
Round One - I Arm Triangled him.
Round Two - We popped up on our feet - wrassling! We handfought for maybe a minute. Then I got a Collar Tie & I took him down with a sweet Footsweep. Into Judo Position. From there, I tried to Guillotine him & he defended from Half Gd Bottom. So I rolled us onto our sides & finished him with a Demon Choke.
No Mas
Back to drilling.

It was a short session, but affirmed my improvement in wrestling.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:38 pm

Sept. 15 Another beautiful day in God's Country.

Drill - Grab one arm, standup & break his closed Guard, then roll him to All Fours. From there, Knee Block & Thigh Pry, bump him forward & sink a hook behind his knee, then use Thigh Pry to roll him into the pocket for the RNC.

Spar - Zac, Jacques, Xander, Eric, Josh, then Zac again. I did OK against guys who are mostly better than I am. I have got to learn better awareness of the Inverted Triangle...it is becoming my Achilles Heel.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:48 pm

Sept. 17

Warmup = Dbl Legs. They started to bother my knee, so I asked Eric for a substitute, maybe something Greco that a tall guy could use. He suggested Body Lock to Rear Trip. So I drilled that with Eric. It's awesome, having the teacher as a training partner - I got many fine-point corrections that made things click.

Spar - Roll for maybe 20 minutes with Xander, one of our school's better grapplers. I tapped six times, maybe more. I fought out of a tight Armbar attempt. Fought off an RNC for quite a while. (I want to improve this defense. Xander obliged.) Quickly tapped to a Neck Crank that gave me a free chiropractic adjustment. Two Ten Finger Guillotines...I didn't really have to tap, I should have just kept my head & his hips down.
I am doing better at penetrating Xander's Hooks Guard, or avoiding it.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:14 pm

Sept. 19

Standup - worked on Body Lock & Over/Under drills. No spar.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:51 pm

Sept. 24

Drill - Armbar: beercan grip the tricep, other hand on his neck. Triangle - this can be my move, I just need to work on it.

Spar - Zac, Jacques, New Guy, Josh, Xander, and Justin. I only tapped to New Guy (which I hate to do). All others were draws, which I should be happy with, but I'm not. My mentality slipped to the more passive mode.

Total Spar time: 18 minutes, most of it at moderate effort.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:43 am

Sept. 29

Drill - Armbar, working on elevating the hips & using leg pressure to keep him from escaping his arm

Armbar Fail - switch hips & knee over to armbar the other arm.

Spar - Light spar day, twingy knee.
Roll with Zac. I swept him a couple of times, he swept me once. I Stack Passed him, and kept my hand hooked on his thigh, then placed knee between his legs to keep his hips turned away from me. Then took his back & set up hooks for RNC. But he was saved by the buzzer.

6 minutes total sparring.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:59 am

Oct. 12
Boxing, since it is much easier on my knee than grappling. I had a lot of fun, and the few lessons I took last year weren't totally forgotten.
If I feel brave, I'll wrassle tomorrow, and try to keep my knee in happy positions.

Only Achyballs & pullups in the past two weeks from Enter the Kettlebell.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:09 am

Oct. 13

Grappling - Warmed up with alternating Back Mount rolls. These are good for learning sensitivity & position.

Spar - Rolled with "new guy" Davis, who is a strong wrestler & a bit heavier than I am. He had to work at it, but he submitted me 3 out of 3.
I have a bad mindset: that Half Guard Bottom is an OK place to be. I need to replace Full Guard.
Also, should work more from the outside when facing bigger, stronger opponents.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:33 am

Yeah, some people are good from bottom half-guard. I just try and get the hell out of there, I feel like I'm halfway between guard (decent control) and side-control (fucked).
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:19 pm

In my first year I did well using the Old School reverse from Bottom Guard. So I got too comfortable in the Half Guard.
As you said, it's halfway to being in a bad position.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:12 am

Oct. 17

Open Mat. Sparred with a very strong kid, Stan. I focused on defending/sweeping from bottom Side Control. He subbed me 2 or 3 times, mostly using raw strength. I worked on spot-welding my elbows to my ribs & working to reverse.
Then he wanted to spar-drill with him starting from Bottom Closed Guard. I passed a couple of times & subbed him once with a Guillotine.

~35 minutes sparring at pretty high effort. I wasn't paying much attention to the clock.

Post by ___________ » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:34 am

Fuck this bullshit, you niggers.
Bottom guard is like having the best house in the ghetto.
Half guard is a god awful position.
Get to the fucking top already, or back to standing.
Replacing guard is gayer then 10 dudes fucking 5 dudes.

Post by ___________ » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:39 am

Last edited by ___________ on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:43 am

Marc, do you think guard should be avoided at all costs? What's your take on if you end up there?
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

Post by ___________ » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:17 am

Bram wrote:Marc, do you think guard should be avoided at all costs? What's your take on if you end up there?
My opinion is that closed guard is a stalling technique in a grappling setting.
With a butterfly or X-Guard, you are getting to the top, RIGHT NOW.
If I hit my back, I go butterfly, if they don't pressure, I get back up. If they tie up, I sweep, if they stand up, I go to X.

I think that position is strength, & I want all of it on my side. I don't have any positional advantage with a closed guard.
Give me top guard, top half, top side, knee up, mount, & back mount every day.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:09 am

MarcoFP wrote:
Bram wrote:Marc, do you think guard should be avoided at all costs? What's your take on if you end up there?
My opinion is that closed guard is a stalling technique in a grappling setting.
With a butterfly or X-Guard, you are getting to the top, RIGHT NOW.
If I hit my back, I go butterfly, if they don't pressure, I get back up. If they tie up, I sweep, if they stand up, I go to X.

I think that position is strength, & I want all of it on my side. I don't have any positional advantage with a closed guard.
Give me top guard, top half, top side, knee up, mount, & back mount every day.
Thanks, Marc. What you're talking about is a different style of grappling than I'm used to seeing or doing.

I agree that closed guard often times feels like stalling. If I can get a good hook on an arm, then it becomes a position I feel I can attack from. But many times I feel like I'm just sitting there. I'm going to try out what you suggested.

It sounds like your school encourages stand-up. Where I train at, generally we just reset to knees once it hits the feet. I think that accounts for part of the difference.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 am

MarcoFP wrote:Fuck this bullshit, you niggers.
I'm trying to understand.
Bottom Half Guard > Bottom Side Control, right?
and
Full Guard > Half Guard?

From Full Guard, I'm trying to reverse or submit.

Because I am not a Takedown Master, I'm often on the bottom in Half Guard or Side Control. Especially against the Chimpanzees that have been showing up at the gym lately. What's a Brother to do? I'm much better on top, but I can't always make that happen right away.

Post by ___________ » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:45 pm

Last edited by ___________ on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ___________ » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:50 pm

Last edited by ___________ on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:24 pm

Oct. 19 Kickboxing

How to fire the 10 & the 9. The skip step to fire the 9 is not intuitive for me. Kick the heavy bag.
Too many performance points to list.
The class (for me) culminated in this combo: 2-9, step off at an angle, 2-3-10, winding up back in front of my opponent.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:40 am

MarcoFP wrote:
johno wrote:
MarcoFP wrote:Fuck this bullshit, you niggers.
Blah, blah.
Mindset, Johno.
If you are training correctly, there should be :30 max that you spend on the bottom from any position.
this is the mindset you need to hone.
Thanks, Marco. Got it.

Post by ___________ » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:14 am

Last edited by ___________ on Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:28 pm

MarcoFP wrote: I hope it makes sense.
It does. I just have to make it happen.
MarcoFP wrote: If you're ever out to Utah, over beers & Mexican we can discuss it, nigger hate, Obama hate, having multiple bitches, etc.
I drove through in August. Unfortunately, too late at night for a social call. Next time, I'll plan better.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:55 pm

Oct. 24 Open Mat

Very quiet day. Eric is in Phoenix, coaching a couple of our guys who are competing.

After an hour warmup (!), I got to roll with Wallich. Worked escaping Bottom Side Control. Then helped him work off his back. Good roll, moderate effort, about 25 min.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:10 am

Oct. 29

Grappling - Drill only.

Bottom Half Guard Reversal - Underhook, he Whizzers, grab his wrist & shrimp down, then roll him over your back. A second drill when you can't get the underhook - replace a hook & elevate him. I tweaked my left knee elevating a 200 lb'er, and called it a night. I should have known better than to abuse my knee like that.