Soupbone's Stew

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Soupbone

Re: Soupbone's Stew

Post by Soupbone » Tue May 26, 2009 3:09 pm

1 min easy row on the c2* 1 min hard row followed by 15 ball slams with the 15# ball= 1 round

did the above for 10 rounds

Nautilus ab machine 3x10

That was a killer!

OSU!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed May 27, 2009 11:04 pm

my ass and quads are jello from the rowing yesterday, so I decided to do an old standby HIT upperbody routine on the hammer strength equipment for some variety. 1 warm up set, 1 work set to momentary muscular failure followed by a 10 sec. static hold. all movements were 6 sec. up 6 sec down.

arm bike 10 min. to warm up

hammer incline press 90#x8, 180#x7

Hammer pulldown 135x8; 275x8

db laterals w 25's x10 followed by hammer bn press 90#x10

Hammer dip machine 240x8

Hammer bicep curl 135 x10 ...10 sec up, 10 sec down

Roman chair situps x 25

Elliptical machine..10 min.

Now my entire body feels like jello.

OSU!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Thu May 28, 2009 12:23 am

I need to call you my brother. What are your hours this week?
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Fri May 29, 2009 6:48 pm

Ed Zachary wrote:I need to call you my brother. What are your hours this week?
good to talk to you today my friend!

yesterday was nothing...rest day.

today was alternating bouts of 5:00 on the c2 and 5:00 of heavyhands for 40:00. c2 work was good, I was able to maintain 22-24 spm anywhere from a 1:39-2:02/500m pace and still feeling like I had gas in the tank. the c2 is the least used and best bang for buck piece of equipment at my gym. I get off of it and feel like i really did something and feel sad for the other swinging dicks on the treadmill who are clueless.

finished up with 2 sets od standing abs on freemotion and 2 sets on the nautilus ab machine.

still need to crunch some numbers but it looks like im may be able to sign up for classes at the local GB school next week!

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Sun May 31, 2009 12:17 am

10 min on the arm bike to warm up.

hammer strength HIT upper body day

1 set of each to warm up: incline, iso row, BN press, iso pulldown. then 1 work set of each to failure. I got one more rep on each exercise than last workout with 10# more.

Then i did one set of the hammer dip and hammer bicep to failure. my rep cadence on everything was 6 sec up and 6 sec down.

2 sets of swiss ball sit ups.

I then did 5:00 of farmers walks w 100's. I carried them as long as i could, set them down catch my breath and then finish the 5:00

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:12 pm

2 10:00 pieces on the c2 separated by a 10:00 session of heavyhands. Its the first time that I took a quasi-serious stab at a 2k. first time I did it in 8:31, 2nd was in 8:04. both pieces were at around 23 spm. then i easy rowed to finish up ach 10:00 piece.

Tomorrow is a monumental day for me. my very first gracie barra class! this should be interesting.

OSU!

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:53 pm

Soupbone wrote:Tomorrow is a monumental day for me. my very first gracie barra class! this should be interesting.
Sweet!

Let me know how it goes my friend.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:10 pm

well today was my first gracie barra jujitsu class in springfield, illinois.

10 minutes of conditioning, a guard sweep, a kimura, a reverse gi choke from bottom. tons of drilling and I even got to roll for about 10 minutes. Everyone was really really kind to me as they crushed me. I think this is going to be a really great endeavor for me on my journey. I have known this before, but no lift, exercise, or machine prepares you for jujitsu quite like jujitsu and I am sore from my scalp all the way to my toes! OSU!

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:13 pm

Excellent.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:08 pm

jujitsu today...waiter sweep, arm bar from the guard, omoplata. then tons of drilling and the waiter sweep and arm bar from the guard. did about 10 minutes of rolling and focused on passing the guard and holding the guard. Got some great advice to forget about submissions for now and work escapes and thinks about just drilling positions. I sweat buckets and buckets in that class and find that building my mat endurance is the key and will work on being patient and waiting for the right opportunity to move. I dont remember in all my years of judo, wrestling and grappling it being this exhausting and everybody is so kind and pouring information into me, so it is a bit overwhelming. Its all good. Also working on being comfortable in that upside down guard position and keeping my opponent close. I am real sore and am like a kid in a candy store. OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:46 am

p.m. jujitsu. Scissor sweep from guard, side mount escape, taking the back from guard and half guard. I drilled those for 45 min. and then I got to roll for about 45 minutes. I let every blue belt and purple belt have their way with me and school my ass. Tonight i focused on patience, holding positions and waiting for the right moment. My skin is week, so I have burns everywhere and am sore beyond belief but very happy. I have one more 3rd shift tonite before a 3 day weekend. Tomorrow I am gonna do a strength workout (my only one this week) and then go thru the mexican beer sampler pack I got at sams.

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:02 pm

5 min. on air dyne to warm up

classic strength work: hammer inclines; pullups; hammer dip machine; db curls; hanging knee raises; torso twists w 45# plate; nautilus ab machine---all done for 3 progressively heavier sets of 10.

Now for a couple days of rest!

OSU!

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:46 am

It was great to finally get to visit with you my friend.

I'm glad your BJJ journey is off to a good start.

Enjoy your weekend with your lovely children.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:09 am

Jujitsu...dont know if my left delt is hurt or just sore..but it has been bothering me. Today was a crazyass hard circuit of jump squats, shrimping drills, pushups and situps done for 10 min straight. then we worked the double leg takedown, and a very basic guard pass that I really liked. Then we sparred for 30 min. straight constantly switching partners. I got my ass clubbed and mauled by everyone there at least twice. Am really trying a lot of sweeps though and they are failing. I will concentrate on these as the substance of my game for now...survive and sweep, survive and sweep lather rinse repeat.

OSU!

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 am

Soupbone wrote:Jujitsu...dont know if my left delt is hurt or just sore..but it has been bothering me. Today was a crazyass hard circuit of jump squats, shrimping drills, pushups and situps done for 10 min straight. then we worked the double leg takedown, and a very basic guard pass that I really liked. Then we sparred for 30 min. straight constantly switching partners. I got my ass clubbed and mauled by everyone there at least twice. Am really trying a lot of sweeps though and they are failing. I will concentrate on these as the substance of my game for now...survive and sweep, survive and sweep lather rinse repeat.

OSU!
Keep up the good work my friend.

For me Sweeps are a fickle bitch. They work for a while then completely fucking quit and then start working again.

Don't sweat it man it'll all come with all the hard work you are doing.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:02 pm

jiujitsu...worked the single leg and clinch takedown for about 10 minutes. Then did a live drill of pulling guard and preventing the pass for another 10 minutes. We then did about 40 min. of sparring. I got crushed numerous times, however, I sweeped a guy with about 70# on me, took a purple belt's back, and swept the same blue belt twice and took his back once. This building sparring endurance thing is killing me...I am gassing and borderline overheating, but i am making it and if the training sucks then the battle will be easy! OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:27 pm

a.m. jiujitsu..got paired with a 185# two stripe blue belt named Adam who is built like a combination of a brick shithouse and a greek statue. Modified tomoe-nage to side control. then worked a shoulder lock from double underhooks. I then got crushed for 45 minutes as he played around with me and I tapped like a typewriter. I thought I was in shape for this, but I am stiff, weak, tight and gas quicker than I could imagine. really working on relaxing strength and staying fluid. I was able to pass him twice, but not without paying for it in the end. At this point all of my cardio and other strength work needs to be restructured to support my jiujitsu, so I am open to any suggestions. Will take a rest day tomorrow and do some heavy thinking. Jiujitsu is the priority and I will put 3-4 solid sessions in a week. Open mat is on saturday and Professor Barros will be back from China, so I will talk it over with him. Shoulder feels good and I am a posterboy for bruises. Its all good!

OSU!

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:00 am

The simple answer is more jiujitsu, more rest, and more good lean protein.

We are not young men my friend. We can't train like young men but we can train hard, train smart, and be devious.

Plus as your mat conditioning improves (which improves best with mat time) you will be better able to take advantage of your strength and size.

More heavy top riding will make any thing your opponents pull off come at the cost of their own wind.

Edit

But that's just my own opinion based on my own shitty experience.

Marco or Fats would have better, more informed advice I'm sure.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:07 pm

yesterday...balls, bands abd kettlebells. Lots of hindu pushups, power wheel stuff, etc.

today: jiujitsu conditioning and warm up. drill the doublr leg takedown and then we worked some really slick sweeps from the guard. After that it was 30 min. of rolling and i came 2 sec. close to pulling off an arm bar. I passed a blue belt and got crushed several times by a purple belt, who is built like a very agile refrigerator. I am starting to settle in and left today feeling very fulfilled.

OSU!

rjudo
Gunny

Post by rjudo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:27 am

Soupbone,
I would think about one day a week of basic strength stuff, really just a few basic lifts done for maintanence, not even thinking about pr's. Sample wkout. Either a squat, dead or powerclean, OHpress, weighted pullup, weighted dip. A couple medium heavy sets of five, your done in half hour or so and not cutting into your jj recovery too much. Let the mat time take care of the conditioning. Mat work is going to trump kb's and rowers, running etc, but you already know that. Good luck ...Rick
food is medicine. that's why i'm drinking dr. pepper.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:21 pm

thanks rick!

a.m. jujitsu; 10 minute killer core conditioning set; worked a high entry off to a double, then a nifty guard pass into a reverse collar choke. We drilled that for twenty minutes then professor paired me with butch and jeff, a 4 stripe white and 2 stripe blue, who look like they spend their spare time modeling as anatomical charts, both of them heavy, solid and ripped. I dont think there is an out of shape person in that school, except for yours truly. I was able to stop several of jeff's sweeps until he [ulled a slick arm bar. butch and i had a swift solid game of i sweep he pass, i pass he sweep until time was called and we ended in stale mate. a great session today!

OSU

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:42 pm

woke up this morning and left shoulder was really bothering me, so I negated the urge to work out and did a 30 minute session of stick stretches, band work for the delts and trigger point work. Maybe its because of the increased blood flow, but I can actually move my left arm and not be in pain! which feels pretty good. I have to go in at 1300 today, so no jiujitsu which really bums me out, but s'all good. Those bands really are magic manna and I need to make it a daily part of my routine regardless of what i have going on. I have been doing a lot of reading of Fats, MarcoFP and Ed Zachary's logs and how I wish I would have started BJJ training earlier, like 10 years ago! It is having a profound effect on me, even if I only have 3 weeks under my belt. But it also impresses me that I am in it for the long haul, not to compete or whatever, but to become a better person. Those classes teach me things in an hour and cement principles in my head and soul that I have struggled with for years. My fitness and psyche have never been affected so dramatically by anything else. But it seems that my life events have been preparing me for the journey that I am on now, and I could never be happier. So a public shout out of gratitude to you all. Tomorrow professor barros is having a special class on bjj s&c after class and I am pretty amped up to see how weak I really am! Stay tuned sports fans...

OSU!

Dazed

Post by Dazed » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:01 pm

Enjoy it Soup. I thought for sure I'd be in it this year as well. Unfortunately, life had other plans. It's ok, lots of years left in me and tons of talent in my area. As a consolation, I've got my son addicted after two classes.

Edit - I've got damn tight shoulders and whenever I neglect basic stretching they let me know, keep the bands in regular rotation, specially with the JJ training.
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:51 pm

a.m. jiujitsu: 10 minutes of conditioning; 10 minutes working a simple guard pass into a side control collar choke. then 70 minutes of sparring. Professor barros gave me some simple positioning tips and I was sweeping people at will. For the first time I am beginning to assemble a game: wait, wait, sweep and beat em up on top. My judo is giving me a very sick and punishingly heavy side mount that I like more than mount. Unfortunately my sched. wont allow for any more jujitsu this week. so I will hit some yoga and lift some weights. I got to watch professor barros roll and that guy is like iron butter: slippery, smooth and devastating. my endurance level felt good in spite of the horrific temperature inside the dojo today. s'all good bitches!

OSU!

Post by ___________ » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:32 am

Soupbone wrote:a.m. jiujitsu: 10 minutes of conditioning; 10 minutes working a simple guard pass into a side control collar choke. then 70 minutes of sparring. Professor barros gave me some simple positioning tips and I was sweeping people at will. For the first time I am beginning to assemble a game: wait, wait, sweep and beat em up on top. My judo is giving me a very sick and punishingly heavy side mount that I like more than mount. Unfortunately my sched. wont allow for any more jujitsu this week. so I will hit some yoga and lift some weights. I got to watch professor barros roll and that guy is like iron butter: slippery, smooth and devastating. my endurance level felt good in spite of the horrific temperature inside the dojo today. s'all good bitches!

OSU!
Let me save you some trouble, brother:
Learn a great mount. No matter how good your side mount is.
When you can mount an opponent, & finish with a basic arm bar, at will, you're becoming a bad ass.