Workout du jour

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Workout du jour

Post by JonnyCat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:39 am

Gearing up for a GS-like training regimen to add to my rowing and running work. My goal is really weight loss while improving strength-endurance. Currently, I weigh between 190-195 lbs and I would like to get down to 170 by June (mid-year goal). Full goal for the year is to try to improve timed set numbers.

Brief history: 10 years ago I was a 235 lb fatty who never exercised. Disgusted with my general porkiness, I started running and later adopted rigid adherence to the Atkins diet. Five years later, I was 155 lbs and ran 7 miles every day. Eventually, I started weight training - general strength training at first then I made the transition to Crossfit and finally I just settled on Olympic Weightlifting. From January 2006 to January 2008 I got some legitimate Olympic weightlifting coaching and focused on that. Last year, I slacked off and didn't do much of anything. I got heavier lifting weights. Some of it is muscle, but I think most of it is fat. My goal now is to trim the fat.

I have a pair of 16 kg AKC pro kettlebells ordered and on the way. Until then, I am subbing a single Dragon Door 24kg and a single Dragon Door 20 kg kettlebell for clean and jerk work. I will focus on long cycle and other timed sets when I can use an appropriate starting weight (the 16kg kettlebells).

A quickie today:

Clean and Jerk work with the 20 and 24. Focused on 5-rep sets. After five reps, I put the bells down and switched hands with the bells. My rack sucks and I have no conditioning for this kind of work. Repeated this process for about 10 minutes. Not sure about the reps but I'm pretty sure it would rank as pathetic. I have a long way to go.

Long-cycle practice. Usually got about 3 reps w/ the DD bells before grip failure would kick in. Would put the bells down for a minute and start again. Can't wait for the lighter bells so I can actually work for some duration.

I have an older AKC 32Kg bell. Did 3 sets of five jerks each hand, some swing and snatch drills for singles.

Whole thing lasted about 45 minutes.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Workout du jour

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:50 am

Go say hello.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:10 am

Warm-up:

Took the missus up to our local LA Fitness gym with a jacuzzi and a pool today. Sat in the jacuzzi for twenty minutes then swam four or five laps and generally goofed off.

Work-out:

Endurance work on the treadmill. Zero elevation and an average speed setting of 6.0. I upped the speed to 6.5, 7.0 and finally 7.5 in the last nine minutes or so, to try and get six miles in under the clock, which I did (59:50 to be exact). Not my best time, by a long shot, but pretty good for an old dude who is getting back into the swing of things.

Diet:

Breakfast: Since we needed some stuff for our house we ate at the local Ikea before shopping. I had two servings of bacon and eggs with three cups of Swedish coffee (black).

Lunch: A couple of hunks of Costco rotisserie chicken and two handfuls of macadamia nuts with a home-made Houji-cha latte (the only time I drink milk). Dessert was a single California Cutie orange.

After lunch we hit the gym and I had my workout. Mr. Scale at the gym said I was 185 lbs. after my run. I trust him more than the cheapo Target scale at home since he is one of those old-fashioned mechanical-beam medical scales. What is common for me is to run a weird gamut of weights between 185 and 195 on any given week (heavier on a Monday, lighter by the end of the week). What I want is to get that number down to the low 170s. I'm a 5'10" average white dude, 37 years old, and I generally feel best at 170-175. So I've got some work to do. Tomorrow will be a row/kettlebell day.

Dinner: After the workout, my wife and I hit a Taiwanese place and split an order of seafood congee and lemongrass chicken.

Done.

ab g-d

Post by ab g-d » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:59 pm

SurlyBird wrote:Warm-up:

Took the missus up to our local LA Fitness gym with a jacuzzi and a pool today. Sat in the jacuzzi for twenty minutes then swam four or five laps and generally goofed off.

Work-out:

Endurance work on the treadmill. Zero elevation and an average speed setting of 6.0. I upped the speed to 6.5, 7.0 and finally 7.5 in the last nine minutes or so, to try and get six miles in under the clock, which I did (59:50 to be exact). Not my best time, by a long shot, but pretty good for an old dude who is getting back into the swing of things.

Diet:

Breakfast: Since we needed some stuff for our house we ate at the local Ikea before shopping. I had two servings of bacon and eggs with three cups of Swedish coffee (black).

Lunch: A couple of hunks of Costco rotisserie chicken and two handfuls of macadamia nuts with a home-made Houji-cha latte (the only time I drink milk). Dessert was a single California Cutie orange.

After lunch we hit the gym and I had my workout. Mr. Scale at the gym said I was 185 lbs. after my run. I trust him more than the cheapo Target scale at home since he is one of those old-fashioned mechanical-beam medical scales. What is common for me is to run a weird gamut of weights between 185 and 195 on any given week (heavier on a Monday, lighter by the end of the week). What I want is to get that number down to the low 170s. I'm a 5'10" average white dude, 37 years old, and I generally feel best at 170-175. So I've got some work to do. Tomorrow will be a row/kettlebell day.

Dinner: After the workout, my wife and I hit a Taiwanese place and split an order of seafood congee and lemongrass chicken.

Done.
Is this your trim the fat diet?
Growing old is not for sissies.

"I'm just here to regulate funkyness"
James Gandolfini in The Mexican

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:25 pm

Heh. Well-said. Diet is really a big deal and I'm writing it down, warts and all, so I can call a spade a spade and others can too.

The worst offender from yesterday's menu, from my own experience, is the congee as it's a bowlful of carby goodness. The lemongrass chicken was just chicken, vegetables and some spice (mostly lemon grass and garlic). My wife is Japanese, so we tend to eat Asian and rice is one of those things that is hard to avoid, although I used to be nigh-militant about it. She can eat carbs all day and gain scant weight while I'll gain weight with just a little of it. The other stuff I had yesterday (eggs and bacon, chicken and nuts) is fat, yes, but if I consume it ala Atkins, I tend to drop weight like a madman. It's how I got down to 155 from 235 five years ago.

My usual diet pattern goes something like this:

Mondays-Friday:

Breakfast consists of a bowl (maybe a cup and half) of plain Greek yogurt from Trader Joe's. Half an apple and half a grape fruit. I have a cup of espresso with it. When I was doing olympic lifting, I had some kind of low-carb protein powder (usually the Biotest stuff) mixed in with the yogurt. But I have dropped all of that now.

Lunch is whatever my wife makes. Typically it is leftovers from the previous night's supper. Since she is Japanese, it could be shrimp and vegetables or ox-tail soup. Whatever it is, it usually contains lots of vegetables and some kind of meat in a broth. Occasionally there is rice in it. She usually packs in a kiwi or clementine or cutie orange.

Supper is usually a soup (miso normally) along with fish and vegetables. Sometimes it's udon or soba. Sometimes it's nabe. Carbs, to be sure.

I never have a tradional dessert (pie, cake, sweets). Dessert is fruit - either grapes, apples, some kind of melon or a mango.

Saturdays and Sundays probably get me in the most trouble. We have pancakes for breakfast, but I usually have almond, sesame or cashew butter and some frozen berries on them. Maybe with half a scoop of plain Greek yogurt maybe not and then a dash of cinnamon. No syrup. Then that's it until suppertime. Supper usually means we go out, usually to an Asian place. Sunday is kind of a repeat, finishing off the leftover pancakes for breakfast the next day.

A couple of personal observations I have after writing all this down:

First thing I see is lack of consistency. If I'm going to low-carb, I need to really low-carb and get the ketosis going for me big time. If I'm going to Zone or paleo or IF or low-glycemic or whatever, now is the time to make the decision. Right now it's low-carb one day, Zone-ish the next day, whatever most days. The one constant I do have is to not eat sugar outright. I have gradually gotten over my fear of carbs to the point I am buddy-buddy with them, but I try to keep it to the so-called good-carbs of fruit and berries, with a flirt with quickbreads on the weekend. Rice is probably the main bad-carb that I've insinuated into my life. I'm going to have to find some way of lowering my rice consumption while keeping things happy on the homestead.

Portion control is an issue. I tend to eat more than just a helping. Nearly three years ago, I decided to get into lifting and the advice I got was to eat and not worry about any weight gain. I tried to do it somewhat sensibly mostly through protein shakes and just more meat and vegies. I still avoided desserts. I would, however, consume stuff I gave up a long time ago, namely pizza and bread and I wouldn't worry about how much of it I had when I had it. Usually this was done after training with my team members. This actually took some mental gymnastics for me. It was very hard to eat so much at first. Gradually I got into it, but now. I got my weight up and my lifts improved somewhat, but I don't think the extra bulk really helped. In the end, the extra twenty five pounds was really not where I wanted to be, weight-wise, so now I'm trying to slim down. I finished the last of my protein powders, Post Workout drinks, etc. two months ago and I don't plan on returning to them. I take fish oil, saw palmetto (when I remember) and a multivitamin. I also take ZMA at night. That's it for the supplements.

I guess it also bears mentioning that I set my goal at getting down to 170 pounds (along with incorporating some of the GS protocols). I am only using one metric and that is gross weight on the scale. I am not measuring body fat to lean muscle which probably is the best indicator of health. I'm going to stick to the weight thing, at least until, I don't know, June 1, and if I am nowhere near 170, then I'll have six more months to try some other angle of attack.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:58 pm

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=201837

Start here for gs training. You dont need AKC bells, dont set them down between hand switches.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:01 pm

D.SIDES wrote:viewtopic.php?f=12&t=201837

Start here for gs training. You dont need AKC bells, dont set them down between hand switches.
Fo' shi-zzle. (said with a high pitch voice)

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:07 am

Bad planning on my part. No training. Have to get back at it tomorrow.

Diet:

Breakfast: Six pancakes with sesame butter, warmed-up blueberries and raspberries, a sliced banana, Greek yogurt and cinammon. Espresso. Two handfuls of macadamia nuts.

Was gonna train later on today, but I went to a social event with my wife and it went long.

Lunch: Light snacks at said event consisting of 3 thick tomato slices with fresh mozzarella cheese, a spoonful of salmon dip (no cracker), and a spinach salad with red onion, olive oil and sesame seeds. 3 cups of decaf coffee.

Supper: Three handfuls of macadamia nuts, houjia-cha tea and a California cutie.

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:11 am

D.SIDES wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=201837

Thanks. Much appreciated. I will work with this and see what I can do.

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:36 pm

Warm-up:

Light stretching. Hand, wrist and arm stretches. A few air squats. 21 KB swings per hand with the 20kg bell.

Work-out:

Timed Kettlebell snatches with the 20Kg bell. 6 per hand with a switch to the other hand for another 6 reps . One minute of rest. 10 reps. Initial goal to not put the bell down was immediately broken. I just don't have the technique, the grip nor the stamina at this embryonic level. The goal now is to just get the reps in some kind of ordered fashion, which I did. Pretty, correct or smart it was not. 120 ugly reps total.

10 min. Break.

One-arm long cycle-ish style of workout with the 24 Kg bell. Initial plan was to try to repeat 6 per hand then switch hands for another 6 reps in one minute for a total of 12 reps per minute but that was a fool's hope. First round in I got 6 reps on the right and then put the bell down as my hands were killing me. I walked around the house a bit until the feeling in my hands normalized and then did 6 reps on the left. That was one round. Repeated this cycle for nine more rounds. No idea how long it took. 120 even uglier reps total.

Wife woke up half-way through this set. So after I finished the whole set we had breakfast.

Got on the C2 and rowed for 30 minutes. Distance was 6359 meters, 24 s/m.

We will likely head up to the LA Fitness and hit the jacuzzi and pool later.

Diet:

Breakfast: I had a cup of instant coffee and 3 handfuls of macadamia nuts when I woke up. After the kettlebell work, I had three more handfuls of nuts and some water. Then, I finished the remaining pancakes from yesterday. Same toppings of sesame butter, blueberries, raspberries, bananas, a dollop of Greek yogurt and a dash of cinammon. Five pancakes total with two consumed at a serving. Last pancake was kind of small. One cup of good espresso to seal the deal.

I'll have to document the rest of my gastronomical adventures later on.

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:38 am

Evening shenanigans:

Trip to the gym for the jacuzzi and pool. Swam, if I can use the word liberally, six laps. Chilled in the jacuzzi with the missus.

Just for grins, ran a leisurely 3 miles in 30 minutes on the treadmill while 'Family Guy' was on. Man, is this what animation has come to? Sad.

4 sets of 5 pull-ups when some dude wasn't doing his "final set" of cable crossovers on those combo cable/pull-up stations.

Five deep dips.

Supper:

Grilled wild salmon on brown rice. And a very small serving of cole slaw. My wife had clam chowder and I ate a little under half of it. She polished off most of the rice.

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:11 am

Static-hold and active recovery type kind of day. Trying to learn to relax under the bells. Took it easy today while trying to loosen up a bit.

Warm up: 10 swings per arm with 32kg bell. 4 reps each arm.

Rest between sets.

Workout:

Five jerks per arm with the 32kg bell. 3 reps.

Worked on static holds with the 24kg and the 20Kg in the rack for one minute. Then jerked them and held them overhead for a minute. Had to put the bells down after that. Muscles and nerves were fried. Took a minute and-a-half break, switched the bells and repeated the process. Hard, especially the overhead part.

Took the 32kg bell and held it in a one-armed rack for a minute. Put it down, got a minute's rest and repeated. Good times.

Green jumpstretch band leg work. Stretched groin and hamstring. I am one tight hombre. Some ankle work, especially the one I sprained two years ago. Need to this a lot more.

Foam roller love on the IT bands, quads and calves. Ow.

Diet:

Breakfast: One measured cup of Greek and European style plain yogurts with cinammon. Half a grapefruit, half an apple. Cup of espresso. Three handfuls of macadamia nuts.

Lunch: Panfried shrimp and rotisserie roasted chicken mixed with eggplant, onion and cabbage. A California cutie and a Kiwi fruit (consumed a few hours later).

Supper: Steamed egg custard (egg, Japanese fish soup stock, shitake mushroom, imitation crab meat, canned corn), rotisserie chicken (leg, wing and two hunks of breast meat) and homemade slaw (Napa cabbage, sliced cucumber, with a sauce made of sesame butter, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, sesame oil, miso and soy sauce).

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:25 am

Sore, particularly in the lats, delts and pecs from the chins and dips two days ago. Time was short today. Hit the gym on my way home for a quick run.

Workout:

4-mile run on the treadmill. Zero inclination. Time was 36 minutes.

Diet:

Breakfast: One measured cup of Greek and European style plain yogurts with cinammon. Half a grapefruit, half an apple. Cup of espresso. Three handfuls of macadamia nuts.

Lunch: Panfried shrimp and rotisserie roasted chicken mixed with eggplant, onion and cabbage. A California cutie and a Kiwi fruit (consumed a few hours later).

Supper: Japanese nabe - soup stock with yam noodles, bean sprouts, tofu, gobo root, low-fat/low-sodium kosher hot dogs, a ton of other vegetables and little dried fish on top of grated daikon with Ponzu soy sauce mixed in. 3-Japanese-sized-bowls (not terribly big). Dessert was about 10 boiled chestnuts I had to scoop out of the shell. Also had two cups of houji-cha and one diet Bundaberg ginger beer.

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:57 pm

Skipped a day workout day but diet was consistent. Same breakfast. Lunch was spinach, leaves, chicken and supper was leftover nabe.

Yesterday. Seriously late getting home from work. Weak-sauce workout was 21 consecutive pushups and 3 turkish get-ups with the 20 kg bell. Threw in a few clean and jerks with the 20 and 24 kg bell. Better than nothing, but not by much.

Breakfast: Same cup of Greek yogurt with cinammon, half-apple, half-grapefruit.

Lunch: Same spinach and chicken deal as the day before.

Supper: Half-avocado with nori (seaweed) strips and soy sauce. Two small bowls of soup made from leftover chicken, soup stock, seaweed, enoki mushroom, spinach and some ground pork. Two cups of green tea and half a diet ginger beer. Dessert was half a navel orange.

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:59 pm

Friday/Saturday:

Sore throat/head cold. Not feeling super horrible, just want to get better fast. Took it easy. No real workouts.

Friday Diet was the same diet of yogurt/grapefruit/apple, leftovers from the previous night for lunch and soba with natto, seawead, mixed vegetables, miso soup and a navel orange for desert. Green tea to wash it all down.

Diet (Saturday):

Breakfast: Saturday and Sundays are a bit more permissive days. Made pancakes for the missus. Toppings were thawed-frozen blueberries and black raspberries, almond butter and tahini, Greek yogurt from TJ's and liberal sprinkles of ground cinammon. Four pancackes. Several generous handfuls of macadamia nuts and espresso.

Lunch: None.

Supper: Malayasian food. Ginger chicken for me (sliced ginger, generous chunks of chicken, green onion stir fried in oyster sauce -no rice). Wife had seafood noodle soup (I had a small bowl of it). At home, made up a hojicha latte for both us as the latest sumo basho started on TV Japan. Also finished off the remaining half of that diet ginger beer I started a few days ago.

Today: Throat still feels a little scratchy, but better. Cold has moved into the head. Not as bad as I've had before, but still a pain. Took it easy. Mobility drills and stretching. Some swings with the 32 kg bell. Clean and jerk with no real focus. A couple of singles of snatches. Not feeling it. I hate head colds.

Breakfast was the leftover pancakes from yesterday with the same toppings. Four, total. Macadamia nuts and coffee. Tomorrow, we'll try to hit it a bit harder.

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:30 pm

Back in the saddle after missing Monday's workout. One observation: If I don't hit in the morning, I'm going to have a problem getting the workout in. I can sometimes swing the evening thing, but I generally leave work around 8 p.m. and then I try to rush home to have dinner with my wife. After supper, I am basically zonked and usually end up falling asleep. So from now on, I'm going to try to get the morning sweat-fest in between 6 a.m. and 7:30.

Coming back after a brief cold:

30 minutes on the rower. 6710 meters. Damper setting on five. Tried to work on power and stroke. Slower strokes with more power is more demanding than just skagging with weaker strokes, so I'd do powerful pulls until I started to get sloppy and then skagged until I regenerated some more gas.

Sold my DD bells so it's just me and the AKC 32 kg bell until the UPS guy gets here with my pair of 16 and 24 kg bells. Hopefully I get them tomorrow. Couple of single snatches and clean and jerks. Timed holds for one minute each hand. Swing practice looking at Cotter's little explanation video on the differences between rigid and fluid styles.

Diet: Same breakfast. Lunch was some kind of organic Indian vegetarian wrap my wife got for half price at the Japanese market. Not bad. Needs less carbs and more protein. Orange and Kiwi fruit for dessert. Supper was baked salmon with a ton of vegetables (onions, carrots, gobo root) with ponzu and Japanese mayo. Three small crab roll pieces of sushi. Dessert was half a small cantaloupe. Green tea.

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:00 pm

C2 Erg action:

13K @ 1:00:46

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:04 pm

C2 Erg action:

13K @ 1:02:00

Little slower today.

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:08 pm

C2 Erg Action

13,025 m @ 1:00:20

First half was mostly warm-up/technique work and slower power strokes. Last 6K or so was on faster, lighter strokes at higher intervals. It's kind of a draw which I suck least at. Slower power strokes certainly make the meters fly and the wattages increase, but the s/m went into the toilet and I can only sustain those moves for so long. Faster strokes don't generate as much power and therefore I had to do more to get anywhere in a timely fashion. Light strokes are easier to maintain, though. What seems to work best is a hybrid (duh) - an average of the two. If I keep my eye on the s/m, I can see which stroke was performed more efficiently. I'd love to be able to keep the 500 m gauge in the 2:09 range. As it is, I fluctuate. C2 says my average is about 2:20 s/m. Lots of work ahead of me.

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:51 pm

C2 Erg Action

10K @ 00:46:19

Got a late start. Limited time.

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:35 pm

C2 Erg:

13280 K @ 1:00:08

New PR today - broke 13K in less than an hour (somewhere around 58:45).

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:40 pm

C2 Erg Action:

13,374 @ 1:00:06

Broke yesterday's PR for 13K. Also, and I'm pretty happy about this, I hit 10K @ 44:57. I really enjoy the long rows. Rowing this way reminds me of the daily 7-mile treadmill runs I did for several years, end on end. Unlike running, though, after a long, hard row I don't feel all beat-up afterwards.

Weight this morning: 190 lbs/86.2 kg. Last week I was 193 lbs/87.5 kg.

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:56 pm

C2 Erg Action:

10K @ 43:51

About six or seven minutes warm-up, five or six minutes of skagging around and then alternating intervals of balls-to-the-wall rowing and recovery. Usually 30 seconds on fire, 30 seconds cool down to eventually 30 seconds hot then 1.5 minutes recovery.

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:47 pm

C2 Erg Action:

7K @ 30:21

Late start. Had to get a quick one in. 5K around 21:40.

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:34 pm

C2 Erg Action:

Missed a few days.

15k @ 1:06:54

Total was 15022m @ 1:007.5. Weight this morning was 189 lbs/84.82 kgs.