Practice '09

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Practice '09

Post by buckethead » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:52 pm

3/13

45 min JS routine

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:42 am

3/20

Spent the week in Hill Country, hiking, fishing and rafting/swimming. Still nursing my left knee which I now know is pattelofemoral syndrome. Stupidly I've been doing all kinds of deep squat exercises and apparently I can't get away with them.

Today I spent 30 minutes doing semi-standard JS warmup and then 20 min doing KB swings/jerks quad isos, and 1/4 squats. This was followed by semi-standard JS traction routine.

By "semi-standard" I mean today I never went past 30 degree knee flexion on anything. We'll see if that allows my knee to heal.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:07 pm

3/23

Left knee getting better. Still avoiding flexing past 30 deg.

~50 min of JS warmup, Knee stuff, pullups, and JS cool traction

Trip

Post by Trip » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:16 pm

Was in Florida on business most of last week.
KSS?

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:24 pm

Yep

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:13 pm

Timeframe: End of March until end of July, 2009

Background: Was tired of the continued gymnasium cycle of progress, injury, sloth, repeat. After reading very little on method naturelle, walking mountain yoga, and MovNat, I decided to go for the minimalist workout regimen.

Rules: 1. Outside, 2. no shoes, if possible, 3. no gear, if possible.

4-month summary: I have learned a lot this past 4 months and I have increased my conditioning way beyond what I have done over the last several years. After the first few sessions, barefoot running became my main interest and has led me down some very worthwhile paths. I have run more in these last months than in the last 10 years combined. I am injury free*, stronger, and in better condition than I have been since I don't know when. My IMA practice has grown by leaps and bounds, as well, after completing Ralston's T'ai Chi course.

* see Sarno stuff in "Details"

Details:

Barefoot running: I have learned to run on many surfaces for several miles while barefoot. This practice has been useful in many ways.
1. The twisting and turning of the foot on uneven surfaces feels like a massage from heaven
2. Running barefoot on pavement/cement is a wonderfully quick and accurate teacher of graceful running technique
3. Running barefoot is 10% sole conditioning and 90% technique.
4. Increased foot sensitivity and awareness has helped my T'ai Chi practice tremendously
5. Barefoot running, correctly, seems much easier on my knees/hips

Method Naturelle/MovNat/Whatever
1. I quickly abandoned the fantasy that I was doing MN or MovNat or anything close. Mainly, because neither I nor 99% of the rest of the world know what the fuck those practices really are.
2. Slight danger, high in a tree or walking across the railing of a bridge, is very exhilarating and focuses awareness. I suppose the same can be had in a gym.

Cheng Hsin T'ai Chi
1. Ralston has it going on. His communication has pervaded everything I do. It's experience-based, accessible and practical.
2. The actual experience of literally moving from the center and being unified is cool. Barefoot running lends itself well to practice this outside of the T'ai Chi set.
3. The contemplation of honesty is a practice I think one could spend years pursuing. Even a few short weeks delving have resulted in interesting insights.

Sarno
1. Re-read the book just a week or so ago. All of my little aches, pains, itis's, etc.... were TMS, I believe.
2. Shaking up my exercise program, I think, allowed for a few weeks of new found exuberance and lack of pain
3. However, starting about a month ago, little aches/pains started affecting me slightly.
4. Mindfulness/acceptance practice kept those aches/pains from interfering with my exercise practice (4-6 days a week now)
5. Sarno connected the dots beyond that of mindfulness and trigger points.

Other Stuff
1. Started a mindful eating diet - no prohibited foods, just a commitment to be mindful of the experience of eating.
2. Some "mindful" stuff out there is rubbish, imo (chew 20 times, etc..).
3. No weight loss but no gain either. Lot's to learn about how often we eat when not hungry.

Goals for next few months
1. Either get more info on MovNat/MN or start to build my own training regimen on fundamental movements
2. Further my progress in my weakest skills in pullups/climbing, jumping, and squat mobility
3. Further my progress in Cheng Hsin principles.
4. Race in a 10K or mini-triathalon
5. Save up to start BJJ practice in late fall with Draculino (who happens to be my neighbor I just found out!)

See you in a few months!!!

SAR

Post by SAR » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:52 am

Matt,
See you had possible sprint tri as a future goal.
There are quite a few in texas and I'm looking at doing sprint (in florida) in september, then another sprint in march and an olympic in august (with maybe another sprint in there somewhere)

Anyway, if you're interested in a texas spring 2010 sprint tri, let me know. I also think there's an xterra in austin early summer (xterras are all off road tri's)

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:33 am

BucketHead wrote:Timeframe: End of March until end of July, 2009

Background: Was tired of the continued gymnasium cycle of progress, injury, sloth, repeat. After reading very little on method naturelle, walking mountain yoga, and MovNat, I decided to go for the minimalist workout regimen.

Rules: 1. Outside, 2. no shoes, if possible, 3. no gear, if possible.

4-month summary: I have learned a lot this past 4 months and I have increased my conditioning way beyond what I have done over the last several years. After the first few sessions, barefoot running became my main interest and has led me down some very worthwhile paths. I have run more in these last months than in the last 10 years combined. I am injury free*, stronger, and in better condition than I have been since I don't know when. My IMA practice has grown by leaps and bounds, as well, after completing Ralston's T'ai Chi course.

* see Sarno stuff in "Details"

Details:

Barefoot running: I have learned to run on many surfaces for several miles while barefoot. This practice has been useful in many ways.
1. The twisting and turning of the foot on uneven surfaces feels like a massage from heaven
2. Running barefoot on pavement/cement is a wonderfully quick and accurate teacher of graceful running technique
3. Running barefoot is 10% sole conditioning and 90% technique.
4. Increased foot sensitivity and awareness has helped my T'ai Chi practice tremendously
5. Barefoot running, correctly, seems much easier on my knees/hips

Method Naturelle/MovNat/Whatever
1. I quickly abandoned the fantasy that I was doing MN or MovNat or anything close. Mainly, because neither I nor 99% of the rest of the world know what the fuck those practices really are.
2. Slight danger, high in a tree or walking across the railing of a bridge, is very exhilarating and focuses awareness. I suppose the same can be had in a gym.

Cheng Hsin T'ai Chi
1. Ralston has it going on. His communication has pervaded everything I do. It's experience-based, accessible and practical.
2. The actual experience of literally moving from the center and being unified is cool. Barefoot running lends itself well to practice this outside of the T'ai Chi set.
3. The contemplation of honesty is a practice I think one could spend years pursuing. Even a few short weeks delving have resulted in interesting insights.

Sarno
1. Re-read the book just a week or so ago. All of my little aches, pains, itis's, etc.... were TMS, I believe.
2. Shaking up my exercise program, I think, allowed for a few weeks of new found exuberance and lack of pain
3. However, starting about a month ago, little aches/pains started affecting me slightly.
4. Mindfulness/acceptance practice kept those aches/pains from interfering with my exercise practice (4-6 days a week now)
5. Sarno connected the dots beyond that of mindfulness and trigger points.

Other Stuff
1. Started a mindful eating diet - no prohibited foods, just a commitment to be mindful of the experience of eating.
2. Some "mindful" stuff out there is rubbish, imo (chew 20 times, etc..).
3. No weight loss but no gain either. Lot's to learn about how often we eat when not hungry.

Goals for next few months
1. Either get more info on MovNat/MN or start to build my own training regimen on fundamental movements
2. Further my progress in my weakest skills in pullups/climbing, jumping, and squat mobility
3. Further my progress in Cheng Hsin principles.
4. Race in a 10K or mini-triathalon
5. Save up to start BJJ practice in late fall with Draculino (who happens to be my neighbor I just found out!)

See you in a few months!!!
SUPER SUMMERY!!!
Very good and probably a guideline for those out there who quit at training, life, etc. etc. I love journals like this.
Look at Jon Hines stuff. A backpack full of water and a Jungle Gym for a branch on a tree may be a cool addition.
--Tom
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:31 pm

TomFurman wrote:SUPER SUMMERY!!!
Very good and probably a guideline for those out there who quit at training, life, etc. etc. I love journals like this.
Look at Jon Hines stuff. A backpack full of water and a Jungle Gym for a branch on a tree may be a cool addition.
--Tom
Thanks Tom. I appreciate that, coming from you.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:15 pm

That post was very insightful and thought provoking, fo sho

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:10 pm

Timeframe: Last half of 2009

Summary: Have not been inside for physical practice in almost a year. Have averaged 3-4 sessions per week and have a) not felt the need for more and b) actually enjoyed them. The core of my training continues to be barefoot running but I feel myself ready to expand, now, and include even more resistance-type training. While laying the foundation for running, my attention has been focused on diet and consciousness.

Details:

Barefoot running:
1. I now have no doubt that I will be able to run barefoot on almost any surface well into my later years.
2. I've relaxed into a shoe size longer and maybe 2 E's in width
3. Focusing on principles*, not technique, invariably gets me "in the groove" quicker and deeper during my run - thereby progressing my technique
4. Most importantly, 10 months and 400-500 miles barefoot now qualifies me as, maybe, a beginner.
5. "Warmup"/JM is actually detrimental for me. Run, short steps at first. That is enough. JM is good afterwards or at other times.

Method Naturelle/MovNat/parkour
1. I am still pursuing these, though they are vague as I have not studied or been to seminars
2. I am seeing some good usefulness of parkour and the training material is available. This will be my focus for the next few months.
3. Even with these modalities, I still feel no urge to find training partners. I train alone, exclusively, and enjoy that very much.

Consciousness:
1. Took Ralston's e-course on Increasing Consciousness. Again, just like his Taiji course, he has made this very accessible.
2. Unlike his principles, though, the consciousness studies are very much against my ingrained, results-oriented, USMC and engineering upbringing.
3. The tenets, off the top of my head, are to a) question everything - no problem - b) adopt a state of "not-knowing" and cut any attachments that arise. c) Instead of answers, look for experiences.
4. Needless to say, this course will take a while for me to digest but I am refreshed by the possibilities.

Diet:
1. I have been seriously pursuing the mindful eating techniques with only limited success. I'm never more than 8-10 lbs overweight but, for me, it's more about muscle tone as well as mental well-being.
2. I cannot deny the possibility that no mortal amount of mindfulness can overcome the addictive and deleterious effects of a carb-laden diet.
3. I also cannot deny that diet must preclude all else, including training.
4. I have decided to commit to an Owsley Stanley plan for the next few months and will report on it.
5. It is no shallow idea, to me, that relaxation, honesty, and meat may be three sides of the same core truth.

See you in spring 2010!

*principles:
a) Completely relax, then relax more
b) Literally move only from the center of the body
c) Feel the ground, gravity, and their relationship to your center
d) Feel an entire body, connected and integrated
e) Operate from the state of calm mind. Free thoughts with no attachment.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:25 pm

I'm enjoying this. Good stuff.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:46 pm

Great stuff.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:10 pm

Yep, very good.

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:09 pm

Indeed. I like the summary format & the focus on principles rather than daily sets & reps. I'll look forward to updates.
"All you have to do is decide that wherever you are is the best place there is. Once you start comparing one place to another, there's no end to it."- Sodo Yokoyama

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:13 pm

Thich Naht Hanh has some interesting mindful eating stuff in his books that may be worth pursuing if you haven't already seen them... I think with time and practice, mindful eating will sort most dietary problems; I just can't envisage mindfully working my way through an entire chocolate cake for instance and then mindfully washing it down with a few pints of ale.

I'll keep tabs on this log, tis interesting stuff.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard