BJJ - Getting my shit back together

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

BJJ - Getting my shit back together

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Took a whole week off to recover from the flu as well as thinking about my next goal. I think it was pretty clear that I'm not ready to win the Open Weight division at a major tournament yet, so I decided that I just want to become as much better as I can as soon as I can. Pelé is going to stay here for 2.5 months more and I'm going to get all I can out of it. That means no Pan Ams again this year, but I'm planning to compete in every tournament I can around here. Fuck the old guy divisions for now. Aiming for the Finnish Championships at the end of May for the next goal. With some luck in the draws, I think a medal is a realistic goal for that. Even winning one fight there would be a pretty good accomplishment, IMO.

Monday, February 9. BJJ
Tried to take the sparring a bit easy, since I'm still not feeling 100% after the flu, the tournament and all the stress lately.
Last edited by PC Polar Circle Person on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Re: BJJ 2.5 months of maximum bang for the buck

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:49 pm

Tuesday, February 10. BJJ
Even as I tried to take it easy yesterday, I was really fuckin' sore all over today. Probably the one round I did with Pelé was a bit too hard. Today I worked hard with the techniques, but skipped sparring all together.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:45 am

Yeah, was too early and I got a bit sick again. Lost my voice a bit and just felt like shit, cold sweat and stuff, so I worked from home and tried to rest as much as possible on Wednesday. Thursday I went in and did some light warm-ups and the techniques. Feel a lot better today, but I'll still take it easy. I don't know if I ever want to compete while sick again.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:48 pm

A friend broke his leg pretty badly and I helped him to take care of his kids for a few days. Taught his 5 yo son a few submissions...

Wednesday, February 18. BJJ

Felt sooooo goooood to be back on the mats and at least I should be well recovered by now.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:04 pm

You're a good friend.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

judobrian

Post by judobrian » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:02 pm

Be compassionate - teach the 5 year old to knee bar the non-broken leg.
Rain don't change the sun...

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:46 pm

Felt a bit tired and sore on Thursday, but nothing out of the ordinary. Went in and felt like shit right away when we started to warm-up. Stuck with it for 20-30 minutes, but it only got worse so I quit, went home and sunk into a deep depression for 4 days. No, seriously, I felt a bit sick on Friday and the following days I just didn't feel like training at all, so I didn't.

Monday, February 23. BJJ
Went in to see how it would feel and Pelé started the class by saying that if we had any beer during the weekend, it would all be gone by the time we were done... Holy Fuck! is all I can say. I feel lucky that I'm still alive. Need to lay down now...

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:38 pm

Sore as hell yesterday and rested. I'm going to need to ease back into it. I'm starting to realize that this is a tough fuckin' sport.

Wednesday, February 25. BJJ
Another great class. Pelé is a real good teacher. Took the sparring easy and lost to guys that I know I wouldn't have to and right under the eyes of Pelé, without giving much of a shit about it. Seems like there is not much left of that ego now. I decide how I roll according to my own plan. Didn't quite have the humility to get myself tapped, though.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:40 am

It hurts to miss training days and to let guys who don't deserve it get the better of you but you only get stronger if you listen to your body.

Recovery is the most important and most neglected aspect of training.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am

Ice Nigger wrote: I'm starting to realize that this is a tough fuckin' sport.
Accurate.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:33 am

Seems like I just had too much stress and the tournament was the last drop that broke the dam. Just awfully fuckin' tired, cold sweat from just thinking about doing something, strange sensations in my body, etc... Looks like there's nothing wrong with me besides the stress, though. I think large amounts of coffee has been a major contributor to build up insane amounts of stress, so I just quit it cold turkey last Thursday. Except for a couple of 5 minute periods of some pussy assed headache, no fuckin' problem at all. Then again, I've never managed to get myself addicted to anything there is, so I have to conclude that people are generally just weak willed pussies. Just went out for a nice long walk every day, taught a kids class on Thursday, but that was it. Resting, reading, playing the guitar and trying to figure out WTF was wrong with me...

Monday, March 2. BJJ
Felt pretty OK, but it seems like my ribcage is still somehow fucked up in a way that fucks with my breathing. Tried to get it fixed already before the tournament, but it is still not feeling right. Need to find someone who can manage to crack all the pieces into their proper places. Trying to ease back into it now...

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:32 pm

Ice Nigger wrote:so I have to conclude that people are generally just weak willed pussies.
I agree with this assessment.

Good luck with your recuperation and getting back to 100% Stig.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Re: BJJ - Getting my shit back together

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Wednesday, March 4. BJJ
I really thought I was going to die right away. I was 10 minutes late, missed the warm-up and Pelé put us through an insane training session. The first 20 seconds of positional sparring hit me like a fuckin' sledgehammer. My lungs and whole body kinda locked up and I couldn't breathe properly. Then I managed to relax and after 30 minutes of insane intensity I was starting to feel good. After 90 minutes I felt excellent and like I could still go on. Maybe I've had some kind of a psychological block? Now I'm really interested to see how I feel tomorrow. Downing a pound of beef now. Still no coffee and I notice that I'm much more calm throughout the day. Maybe slightly less productive, but still good for 3 or 4 normal persons ;) Shugyoastic!

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:44 am

OK, so one of the drills on Wednesday was to give away one of your legs and then defend the takedown for a minute, after which you get a fresh guy for another minute and then another... I think there was 12 guys in the line. And this was after escaping from under the mount in a similar 12 minute fashion and was to be followed by defending the choke when back mounted. So 36 minutes in a bad spot with a fresh guy thrown in every minute. It was fuckin' hell on earth and I have never been as sore in the hip area before.

Friday, March 6. Submission Wrestling.

Still felt pretty fried from Wednesday, but managed to go through the class without too much bitching. After every round of sparring I felt like quitting, but I just kept going to the end after which I played the guitar with my brothers and friends straight on to 3.30AM.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:28 am

Monday, March 9. BJJ
There was a big birthday party of a friend on Saturday and it kinda spilled over to Sunday quite a bit - WTF else did we expect with that crew anyways? I was enough hung over to skip work, but not training. After the initial discomfort I actually felt pretty good, although I almost puked a couple of times during sparring.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:59 pm

Wednesday, March 11. BJJ
90 minutes of balls to the walls. Need to lay down... Fuck!

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:25 am

Friday, March 13. SW.
Another tough class. Got my ass handed to me bad by a visiting blue belt that I used to manage just fine. Really fuckin' sore on Saturday and the back was acting up a bit too. These are trying times in the mill that slowly separates the Black Belts from the also ran's...

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:52 pm

Hello guys! Been too busy to bother with IGx lately. Didn't roll for almost 2 weeks now but have established a small momentum for running every other day for a week now. Just building up from scratch to keep the conditioning from going all to hell. Went to my physio after that last rolling session to finally get my ribcage fixed. He said that my whole body, but especially the back was way fuckin tight and tensed and that there was no hope to release the fucked upness if I don't rest and let it relax all out, so that's what I'm doing. The treatments have been pretty fuckin' painful and it's still not good, but I can feel it letting up more all the time. Gonna just run and stretch until it's fixed completely and then start back slowly with BJJ. My body was real beaten down and I'm now feeling better day by day. Some days I have an urge to get back on the mats, but mostly I just feel that I still need a fuckin' break from it.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:06 pm

Hey Stiggles, glad you're doing well. Running is fun. I know what you mean about the body getting hypertonic, have you ever tried yoga? I actually think stretching is better for targeted flexibility, but for whole body relaxation I like yoga. Just a thought.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Hey Stiggles, glad you're doing well. Running is fun. I know what you mean about the body getting hypertonic, have you ever tried yoga? I actually think stretching is better for targeted flexibility, but for whole body relaxation I like yoga. Just a thought.
Is there coincidence? Just 10 minutes ago I was talking with my Astanga teacher from 15 years back about doing a weekend course with him to get myself started back into it again along with running. He runs a nice retreat in the archipelago close by here and I just stumbled upon him at a store after not seeing him for years. I used to be a 5AM every morning Astanga freak for a while years back. When I wrote stretching, I meant 90% sun salutations and other yoga stuff and 10% "normal" stretching. I need to find a way to unwind. My work is stressful enough in itself and BJJ just adds pressure. I made sure the guy has calmed down with his stuff quite a lot since I quit with him after he fucked up my groin with a forced stretch. He said he could make a real nice and unwinding ying program for me to balance out the yang of my ambitious crazy with my work and BJJ. Now back to working like a madman.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:48 pm

I'd say running and some good yoga is a fine program for anyone to remain young and increase vitality. Good luck with your recuperation, Stig.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:27 pm

For me, my money is on the Ashtanga. It really helps me to unwind and just gives me a general since of well-being. I am glad to see you on the mend Stig.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:58 am

I can now run at least 5K at a good pace in my Feelmax barefoot shoes without problems. My feet were sore as fuck initially but I have now adapted. The upper back/rib cage is still fucked up and apparently there was/is some scoliosis going on in the area too. It still feels like it needs that one serious jerk to crack it all in place and straighten out the spine and although I'm stretching the fuck out of it and getting good cracks in areas pretty close to it, it still doesn't go. It still bothers my breathing and is constantly annoying. I could grapple just as I did before, but I want it gone and my whole body reseted before going back at it. Also getting some urge for maybe lifting a bit of iron now.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:47 pm

Last week I was already telling everyone that I'll be back on the mats today, but still just a bit of running and stretching. Real nice run in the spring sun today. All the snow and ice is gone, so I was able to run on the rocks and beaches too. I had a bunch of guys jumping on my upper back, pulling my arms in different directions and doing all kind of crazy shit to it over the holidays, but it is still stuck and it's still restricting my breathing. It's slowly relaxing and cracking more and more every day, but feels like there is stubbornly something stuck deep inside. Tomorrow my physio is going to work his magic on it again. Maybe he'll finally get it to release.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:53 pm

My upper back felt really fucked up, but still back on the mats after 5 weeks off. Except for the back, I feel really good after it.