BJJ - Getting my shit back together

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Re: BJJ - Getting my shit back together

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:45 am

As inspired by Fat Cat, this is along my favorite running routes about a mile from my home. I like to run along the shoreline of the upper right side which makes this spot maybe 3 miles from home.

My upper back and ribcage was so fucked up yesterday morning that I had a hard time to breathe and I did a fuckload of JM throughout the day and after a day of intense meetings I had time for a short hike along those shorelines in the evening. Today it feels pretty much good to go again. Moar of my home:

http://tourism.hanko.fi/2007/hanko_panorama/?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bjjsummerfight.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Yes, you're invited!)

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:57 am

[quote="Ice Nigger"]Image

Beautiful! Nothing like the wind off the water.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:08 am

Yeah, I lived away from the sea for a while and couldn't stand it. The world is full of amazing places, but his is the place where I belong.

I might have finally found the solution for the upper back problem. It got so bad that I occasionally had difficulties to breathe, my arms went numb, could hardly move my head, etc., so I went to another Doc yesterday. He said it seemed like a chronic inflammation of a muscle which probably started with a physical encounter, like the slam from 6 months back or some similar event and prescribed some strong anti-inflammation pills that I should take for a week while only lightly stretching it and letting it heal up. After one day I can already feel a huge difference. An amazing difference, really.

judobrian

Post by judobrian » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:31 am

good news, stig. Just watch the booze while taking these, make sure to take them with food, etc. Don't want a hole in your stomach whilst fixing your back.
Rain don't change the sun...

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed May 20, 2009 9:56 am

OK, here's the deal: after a couple of days of getting better, the upper back and chest started to get worse again and I just generally didn't feel good. In fact, I've felt pretty much like shit most of the time ever since the competition back in January and on top of that I've endured insane amounts of stress lately. It became a vicious self-feeding cycle where I was worrying about my health and generating even more stress and feeling worse all the time. It got to the point where I broke into a cold sweat from facing the smallest problem and all kind of crazy symptoms: dizziness, blurring of sight, numb hands, sweating like a fuckin' pig while trying to sleep, etc, etc.

I have now gone through a long run of all kinds of tests and shit and today the Doc declared me a totally healthy young man and good to go back to however insane training I wish to do. Lifted a huge fuckin' stone off my back right away. Only two problems remaining is that the back is still not up for grappling and I also generally still feel like just resting and recuperating. I'm working hard to find ways to get rid of the stress and I had a good 3 day weekend just working on the boat with a good friend and trying to think of nothing else. Despite the earlier tests and assurances of the Doc the back and chest pains kept worrying and stressing me throughout the weekend, though, but now I'm finally convinced that there is nothing wrong with my heart or anything else like that.

Moral of the story? There just isn't a medal or championship, or any other such shit that is worth risking your health for. Don't train or compete while sick! Also, don't be a stubborn fuck who rather dies than gives up when going for a goal, or, even better, set smart goals in the first place. Trying to go back to the original goal of training for health and longevity now. When I start to train again, that is.

EDIT: Thanks JudoBrain, I always appreciate your advice. I've completely stayed away from alcohol for some time already.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri May 29, 2009 12:31 am

Ice Nigger wrote:OK, here's the deal: after a couple of days of getting better, the upper back and chest started to get worse again and I just generally didn't feel good. In fact, I've felt pretty much like shit most of the time ever since the competition back in January and on top of that I've endured insane amounts of stress lately. It became a vicious self-feeding cycle where I was worrying about my health and generating even more stress and feeling worse all the time. It got to the point where I broke into a cold sweat from facing the smallest problem and all kind of crazy symptoms: dizziness, blurring of sight, numb hands, sweating like a fuckin' pig while trying to sleep, etc, etc.

I have now gone through a long run of all kinds of tests and shit and today the Doc declared me a totally healthy young man and good to go back to however insane training I wish to do. Lifted a huge fuckin' stone off my back right away. Only two problems remaining is that the back is still not up for grappling and I also generally still feel like just resting and recuperating. I'm working hard to find ways to get rid of the stress and I had a good 3 day weekend just working on the boat with a good friend and trying to think of nothing else. Despite the earlier tests and assurances of the Doc the back and chest pains kept worrying and stressing me throughout the weekend, though, but now I'm finally convinced that there is nothing wrong with my heart or anything else like that.

Moral of the story? There just isn't a medal or championship, or any other such shit that is worth risking your health for. Don't train or compete while sick! Also, don't be a stubborn fuck who rather dies than gives up when going for a goal, or, even better, set smart goals in the first place. Trying to go back to the original goal of training for health and longevity now. When I start to train again, that is.

EDIT: Thanks JudoBrain, I always appreciate your advice. I've completely stayed away from alcohol for some time already.
Hey stig, I hope you work things out. I will say that a lot of the symptoms you are describing--especially Dyspnea (shortness of breath)--are consistent with anxiety related problems like Panic Disroder or Generalized Anxiety Disorder in the absence of an organic disease. You work very hard and you push yourself in what is ostensibly your "play" time. Look around here, it may be totally irrelevant to your situation or you may find something useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anxiety_di ... y_disorder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_disorder
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González