TRAINING: ARMATURA, STRENGTH & CONDITIONING and THE AGOGE!

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Re: TRAINING: ARMATURA, STRENGTH & CONDITIONING and THE AGOGE!

Post by DARTH » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:44 pm

Last night we severed ties with Sensie David Lamond after 12 years of study with him.
Crom and I are now the heads of our own Jujutsu school, we also have Lord Stumph, Gimli Von Ramman, Jager, Q, Pinky and Hyung on our rolls.

We are going to uphold the combative effectiveness and techniues of Combat/Aiki Jujutsu, while adopting modern training methodology and crosstraining in Kali and Silat.

Tecnique training, true, spirited Kata, various forms of sparring, light touch, flow, semi cooperative, boxing, and randori along with scenario drills, lowlight training and of coaurse the use of and defense against common weapons are all a part of our training mix.

It starts small with 8 mats, 2 head guys and their 2 Aid de camps, a handfull of current students and a place to run class, it will end up as a premeire Dojo for training in Self Defense in the mid atlantic.

SHUGYO!
Dylan
The New Woodbridge Dojo

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:47 pm

Congrats Darth, on the new addition and the new direction you're going.

Dazed

Post by Dazed » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:05 pm

Kick ass and take names Darth, good luck!

PS - Don't let your love for MA cloud your judgement, it's gotta be run like a business. Also, don't let the business sour your love for the MA -> it's a fine line.
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:31 pm

Thanks gentleman.

If any of you I.G.ers are in the area, come on down, my treat.

Sat June 20th

First official class of The New Woodbridge Dojo

I did a retelling of the first part of Jim's basic knife class for 30 minutes, then Crom had them work knife tapping for 30 minutes.

Next we let the guys free flow some knife v knife for 15 minutes then they went knife v empty hand for 20 minutes.

They utilized the knife tapping well and all kinds of great technique came out.

The last 15 minutes was guns to the face.

Sunday 12:45-1:30 Deb's short Yoga class.

Back on the Training Train, as this last week I took it easy while dealing with the change up at the Dojo.

Loose Plan
Mon am- Stick work, Weights-DLs, Split Squats, DMPs and pullups.
Tuesday am KBs/Yoga PM Jujutsu Class- I lead this class, my plan- Fighting then Crom will take 20-30 minutes for some knife stuff.
Weds Rest
Thurs am KBs and Yoga pm Jujutsu class, Crom leads.
Fri MA "Armatura" workout, maybe some assestence lifts afterwards.
Sat am Maybe Yoga, noon Jujutsu- mixed class, I am going to let Lord Stumph teach about half the class and be a trainee while he is in charge.
Sun- Gimli and I MIGHT box for 30 minutes before Deb's Yoga class.

Now I really have to hold myself to a higher standard, I'm the co-head of a Dojo and I will not be a fucking marshmello.
I am not really allowed bad days.
I plan on doing some MA 6 days a week, either solo training, partner training or Crom's class. Basically if I teach a whole class then that does not really count, I have to train myself more than my students. 20- 120 minutes of concerted MA a day , 6 days a week.
This is great motivation.

Another thing, in the intrest of learning and being a student as well as a teacher, I will take 1 Saturday a month, and go with Crom up to Wink's for some FMA/IMA and full contact. Crom goes alot but I have not in months, that changes.
I am also going to heavily encourage our students go to Wink's and Co
s seminars, we are going to take the great relationship Jim started with them and Crom has kept and get the 2 schools together at least once every 2-3 months, maybe more.

SHUGYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:43 pm

I said loose plan=)

2:30-2:45pm Double stick and single stick drills with aan old Shoto Bokken and a sawed off sledgehammer handle.

2:50-3pm Lightsaber duel with my youngest boy.

4:40-5:30pm
Double stick drills 10 minutes.

Then I did Snatch-Russian Mil Press w 36, 53 and 70#KBs and various rows with the Jungle gym, 90degree, 60 degree one arm and 60degree one leg row. For 15 minutes then 2 minutes stick drills and then another 15 minutes on the KBs and Jungle Gym

Double stick 10 minutes.

Jog the room 10 minutes.

stretch 5 minutes.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:34 pm

Tuesday

In the afternoon I put my middle child in the Kelty Kid Ruck, Gina put the baby in her stroller and we walked to the elementary school playground.

While there I noticed some new additions like a standalone climbing wall to go with the otherone attached to the activity structure and it got me thinking, along with the aforementioned, there are pull up bars and all kinds of playground stuff to push and pull against as well as climb, bound or balance on.

So I messed around alittle with pull ups, climbing up and over the wall, running the balance beam and doing the high ladder hand over hand. Nothing hard but enough to get things formulated.

Later this week I am going to jog out to the playground, do 20-30 minutes and then jog a mile.

7:30-9:30pm Jujutsu class

I taught last night.

The mats had not come yet so we did a hardfloor class, centering on fighting skills.

I had everyone work 2 minute rounds of punch defense (sheilding, parry, block, slip, absorb)for 6 rounds then I had them do the same but effect a clinch or joint lock.

At the same time, ech round 1 guy from a group would be brought over to our new BOB and Gimli had them work Boxing combos on while that person's partner shadow boxed. we did this for 6 , 2 minute rounds.

Next I upped the time to 3minute rounds and had the guys do some EASY back and forth light sparring while I ran things at BOB.

I had them use a palm jab and strait and a forearm blade entry so these guy would get some open hand strikeing in as well as closed fist.
One of only 2 drawbacks to the Boxing we have been doing is that most guys have not conditioned their hands and might bust their hand on a mans skul in a fight, so I want to ensure that they burn in open hand blows as well.

It was a good class, I was able to get in a round of beating BOB and 1 of sparring drills myself but I had to teach.

Now I have BOB aty work and can work my strikes GTG style and within workouts.
I like BOB because you can use Jujutsu Atemi and FMA style strikes much better on BOB than a heavy bag.

Well just waiting for UPS to bring our mats.

Shugyo!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:41 pm

Best wishes with your training and new endeavor! If I were in your area, I would make it a point to train with you! OSU!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:24 pm

Soupbone wrote:Best wishes with your training and new endeavor! If I were in your area, I would make it a point to train with you! OSU!

Thanks Soup, I appreciate it and if you arer every around here, our mats are open to you.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:14 pm

Best of luck, Darth! It's cool to see how you've progressed since the early years of IG.
And, I like your approach to Jits/etc.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:35 pm

johno wrote:Best of luck, Darth! It's cool to see how you've progressed since the early years of IG.
And, I like your approach to Jits/etc.

Thank you Johno, it means alot coming from someone with your background.

Thursday 5:20-6:15pm Training

Beat on BOB 5 minutes.

For 20 minutes, not going past 80% preceived exertion.
Snatch 36,53 and 70#KBs.
One arm Jerk 53 and 70#KBs.
Push ups b.w. and 2 bands on Power Push ups
90 degree rows.

Knife patterns (with a Sharkee training blade) on Bob 3 minutes
Strikes (Jujutsu, FMA, CQC and Kenpo derived) 3 minutes.
Boxing Combos (with reverse punches where appropriate) 3 minutes.
Front Kicks, Side kicks to the body and purring kicks to BOB's base 2 minutes.
Palm jab, Palm cross, shovel hooks to the body combo, did this till Bob was pushed half way across the room.

Yoga, shake and shower.

7:45-9:45 Jujutsu Class

Crom ran class, he started with basic Kote Giashi, front Kenstsu waza and Sankyu off of mid section stabs.I worked with Jager durring this part of class.

Then Crom taught every one to rig up some 550 cord for a improvissed weapon and how to carry and deploy it, this was one of Jim's things.
He then led class through some basic, solid uses for ensnarements and locks using the cord.

Good class and the new mats are SWEET!, that half inch more makes a difference and the construction is a bit different from Lamond's 2" Tiffens, it does feel a little differnt under your feet but not in a bad way.

Today I do a 1 hour private SD session for a DC Cop, so I will be getting cranked a little, but I do get paid$$$ for it.

Then my Sith apprentece and I are going to do some ligt sparring fro about an hour.

Tomorrow or Sunday morning I am going to do the playground workout.

Shugyo!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:31 pm

Today's training Friday Jun 26th, 2009

4:15pm Met Lord Stumph for some MA training.
4:20-4:29 Stretch out
4:30-5:30- We put on the headgear, elbow and knee pads and the MMA gloves.

First we worked sheilding blows in of Jabs, straits, hooks, shovle hooks and an overhands, one guy sheilding the other throwing combos.

Then we did this but the Nage would sheild into a lock, throw or takedown (BTW Ude garmae is golden) and then we would reset.
Next we added kicks (Lowline round, purring, piston, mid front) to the mix.
Lastly we worked low intensaty sparring witht he action stopping after someone was locked up, thrown or obviously took the kind of shots that take you out.

So basically we worked movement and skills but kept the contact light.
5:30-5:45 stretch out.

Lord Stumph and I will be teaching class tomorrow.

Shugyo!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:18 am

Sunday My Son and I walked the rolling hills of western Va. for 2 hours.

Tuesday 6-7pm The Agoge-

Only 2 kids but we had alot of fun.

7:30-9:30pm- Combined Martial Studies Class

I started the group doing throws in a combat line, no Gi, then I had them establish a clinch and throw, then they threw or joint locked before the clinch could set.

Next they worked sheilding/blocking, evading drills against boxing punches.

We split the groups up and worked in 3 minute rounds.
2 groups would work the sheilding into clinch into joint lock or throw.
2 guys shadow boxed and 1 guy worked their sheilding and blocking drills while I punched at them and beat ohn them with a foam bat and kicking sheild.
Another guy would hit the Bob as per Gimli Von RamMan's directions.

Weds 3:30- 4:45 workout

Set up 3 stations, did a 5minute stretch and then the following in a circuit.

Deadlifts w/ 225 x 3,4,5,6,3.
Get ups w/ 36# x 3,4. w/44# x 3,4. w/36# x 5.

Next I worked Push ups w/ LL's Power push ups , 2 red bands x 1,2,3,4,5,1. and Pull ups, 1,2,3,4,5,1.

Went in the Group X studio (aka Our Dojo) and set up my Jungle Gym, pulled out Bob, put on some Paul Weller and went to the following

Palms to the head, punches to the midsection, forearms and axe hands to the neck and collar bones then 90 degree rows, back and forth for 15 minutes.

I jogged around the room for 10 minutes, did 5 minutes of Yoga and hit the showers.

Shugyo!

Dazed

Post by Dazed » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:38 pm

Darf,

I like the way you and your goons run class. It appears to be a nice compromise b/w CQC and more sportive (JJ/Boxing) training. I was talking to a semi-retired cop last night and mentioned I had my son in JJ. He said lots of his guys (he's an instructor now) take that "shit". He was quick to point out that he sees the value in it as sport or one on one, but he thinks it's crap for a cop.

I think you guys are on the right path...keep up the good fight.

Meanwhile, since I don't train formally, I'll just keep beating my bag and trying to get bigger/stronger with the weights.

As a side note, I saw a fight break out the other day at a poolside bar over Father's Day weekend. One guy put the other in a head lock and proceeded to punch the top of his skull (I'm thinking he might have regretted that later that evening). He got in a good dozen shots by the time security pulled them a part. Both of the guys had some decent size to them. I was thoroughly disappointed by how ineffectual both of them were at attacking and defending. I'm not saying I would have faired better, just an observation from the safety of the sidelines.

YoShug!
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:20 pm

Dazed,

It's funny but a side headlock can be the prelude to a very dangerous neck crank but most people use it just the way it was used in the fight you saw, wich sets you up to be slammed.

7-21-09 Jujutsu Class

The outline for class was to put it in 3 phases.
Phase 1 Traditional Jujutsu Basic Waza- After breakfalls I had them work standard techniques, Kenstesu Waza, Kote Giash, Sankyu ect in 5 minute incriments.

Then they worked basic Jujutsu/judo throws for 15 minutes.

Phase 2 Pankration Jutsu - We started with parrying, blocking, spikeing and slipping punches to either set up a joint lock or force a clinch. 6, 2 minute rounds.

Next we worked semi cooperative light contact, medium speed sparring for 2, 3 minute rounds.

Phase 3 Weapons Defense/Experimentation- I was looking through an old issue of Black Belt and in it was an article by Ernest Emerson on gun retentions and defenses.
In it he showed an underhand, clsp to chest entry against a pistol leveld at the midsection.
I thought it looked like it had merit, so we took that entry and experimented with different strips and turn in and shoot finishes.

At the end of class I asked everyone to rate the entry and for their thoughts on it and what they were able to do with it. Most gave it a 6-7 on a scale of 1-10, 1 being useless and 10 being Grand Ultimate=).

Shugyo!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:20 am

Weds July 22, 2009 S&C

Stick drills 10 minutes

Circuit A 12 minutes.

2 Hand open palm Snatches w/ 53 and 70# KB x 20 reps.
Get ups w/ 36 and 53#KBs x 3-5 per side.

Circuit B 12 minutes

Hand walk w/ Power Wheel one end to other of GX room.
90 degree rows x 16 reps

Circuit C 15 minutes

1. Strike combos on Bob Palms to head, edges of hand and forearm to kneck/ clavical area, punches to body, elbows everywhere.

2. 60 degree rows x 20 reps

3. Guard sit ups w/ Grapple Dummy.

4. Leg Lifts x 20 reps.

Shugyo!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:26 pm

Thursday, July 23, 2009

7:45-9:45PM- Jujutsu Class

Lord Stumph taught the first part of class. He ran us through responses to a sucker punch.
Crom took the last half hour, we worked on knife tapping from Pikiti Tarsia.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:24 pm

Fri- 4:30-6pm Jujutsu/MA- We knocked each other around with throws, grappling and Boxing.

Sat- 12-2PM Jujutsu class

We worked gun disarms from several positions.

Tuesday 7:30-9:30pm Jujutsu class

Lord Stumph ran the first 20 minutes of class, doing lots of Ukemi.

I then instructed some finer points and different set ups for Hiza Garuma, Ososto Gari, Uke Goshi, Ko Uchi Gari and an unnammed sweep.
We spent the last 15 minutes working a a Tenkan slip into a fingure 4 hold into putting the knife back into Uke's throat as we spun him to the ground.

I did DLs and MPs for 15 minutes after class.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:50 am

Weds 4-5pm.

Deadlifts, Double Push Press and Pull ups for 20 minutes followed by 10 minutes of double stick and then I beat the Hell out of Bob, working palms, punches and kali strikes for 10 minutes. Finished with some Yoga.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:32 pm

Thursday 7:45-9:45pm Jujutsu

Crom led a class on projections and arm breaks for the first 45% of class and then we worked footwork entry drills off of horizontal stick attacks.

Friday 8:15-9am Jujutsu

Jager and I met to work some throws, had to cut out early because the Group X folks had a special class I did not know about.

More JJ later today.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:49 am

Great job, Dylan. With your background and keeping ties to Guru Wink and company,, you will have incredible growth and prosperity.
--Tom
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:55 pm

TomFurman wrote:Great job, Dylan. With your background and keeping ties to Guru Wink and company,, you will have incredible growth and prosperity.
--Tom

Just got to train, research, refine and not become an old hasbeen, resting on a false ego from glorydays past. That is the downfall of many a Sensei. :-k
Sticks screaming past your face at 160mph helps prevent that shit.
:axe:

Tuesday 7:30-9:30pm Jujutsu Class-

Koshi Garuma (Judo varient) O Uchi Gari (Judo), Osoto gari (Judo) Ko Uchi Gari ( Jujutsu varient) and some finer points were the main meal at cafe Woodbridge Dojo, served with a Dessert of face slash knife attack defense using Aiki block and Ude Garmae.

All left satisfied but wanting more.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:24 pm

Dylan,

here is that link. it is mostly people saying RIP, but I found it. sorry for the delay.

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=68413

Tim
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:18 pm

Thanks Soup, I have seen that.