Heaven & Hell - The Ice Nigger BJJ Comeback

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Heaven & Hell - The Ice Nigger BJJ Comeback

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Wed May 27, 2009 4:09 pm

Entered my 45th year yesterday and decided that it is now enough of resting and shit...

Wednesday, May 27. BJJ
I was going to ease into it by only doing the warm-ups and techniques and even left my mouthguard at home to make sure that I wouldn't overdo it by sparring. That didn't work for shit. Only did 2 pretty easy rounds of sparring, though, and Lemminkäinen was surely with me. Didn't remember how good training makes me feel afterward.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Heaven & Hell - The Ice Nigger BJJ Comeback

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:53 am

Just saw this man, Happy Birthday my friend. Sorry I missed the day.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:43 am

Happy belated birthday Sig.

You are yet another role model for me and my training.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:49 pm

Says Hell in the title for a reason. Took me over a week to recover from that last training session and I continued asking my Doc for more and more tests to find out WTF was wrong with me until he told me enough with it already and asked me to realize that I have just driven myself completely to the ground and that it will take changes of circumstances and time to recover. So, I've been drinking lot's of beer and such, enjoyed life and done no training at all, 'cept for some extempore stuff, like when we found a new nice climbing wall on a island and I exhausted myself at it.

Monday, July 13. BJJ
Very easy. Curious to see how the body will react.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:19 pm

Raid any Swedes while you were sailing?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:27 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Raid any Swedes while you were sailing?
The Swedes should be close to extinct by now. We have by now put in way beyond 1000 nautical miles this summer, which should be a new record. I don't think I covered this much even during my military service when I had my own boat for 6-7 months. In between the beer and bud I did some occasional training but still weighed in at almost 90 kilos at the Academy today and people were making lots of fun about my beer gut. That weight might very well be a new personal record too. Top control felt really good, but otherwise I was dead in less than a minute. Let's see if I can finally get back some consistency to this shit. Was a real good and much needed rest.

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:40 pm

Welcome back Stig. I presume telling you not to go over the top is just wasting my breath. Good luck with the comeback.

Gav
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:47 pm

If you think of lifelong training, a couple of months off is not only not a bad thing, it is actually a good thing. All fields must be left fallow.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:49 pm

Gav, this time I'm really going to try. It would be great if I could establish at least a somewhat similar mindset that I have for playing the guitar - I never train, and just play because I enjoy it and only when I feel like it, without a goal or anything like that. Being that I'm extremely competitive and thrive under pressure, it might still be too much to ask of myself, though, and it might not even be fun anymore. Let's see how it goes...

Monday August 17. BJJ
It is now easy to see what my bread and butter is. I'm much better from the top and my guard, especially the open, sucks major donkey dick. After all the injuries that have forced me to avoid fighting from my back, it is very understandable, but I need to work a lot on my sweeps as well as handling guys who turtle. Of course I was told this years ago by Marcello Perdomo of BTT Long Beach and it applies to everyone who prefers to fight from the top. Starting all of my rounds from my back now. Hopefully it won't bring on too much back problems.

Dazed

Post by Dazed » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Or just get even stronger from the top? If this is going to be an enjoyable hobby that won't burn you out, avoiding injury might need to take precedence over being a more complete player. Nobody is paying you for this shit...good luck.
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Dazed wrote:Or just get even stronger from the top?
That would be too easy and take away too much of the challenge. Just eat and drink like I've been doing the whole summer and after a while nobody could escape from under my mass...

Seriously, yeah, you're making a good point, but I don't know if I can do it like that.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:35 am

Good to see you posting and training again.

Maybe it would be worth it to give yourself a weekly limit of training, like 3 classes or 5 or 2 or whatever seems to work for your body and mind.

Better to train for a year at three days a week, than for two months at five days a week and be injured and take most of the next year off.
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:57 am

Solid advice Bram and I'm trying...

I forgot to mention that during my voyages I stumbled on the Godfather of BJJ in Finland and we sat in my boat for an evening and talked training. Especially my complete burnt outness. His recipe was something like this: In our age we can't go like the kids (like I wasn't told this over and over already...). Teach as many classes as you can, spar a lot with guys who you get to execute your techniques on, avoid the balls to the walls guys and do a lot of conditioning ( I'm pretty sure he mentioned at least running, weight lifting and stretching). Doing only a lot of BJJ (like I've mostly done), in his opinnion, is a sure recipe for burn out and injury. It would be rather stupid not to listen to his advice, since he's been doing this shit all of his life and last year he won the World Championships in Black Belt senior 3 (one age class above mine) and was second in the Absolute. So in an effort to follow his advice:

Tuesday August 18 AM. Conditioning

OHSQs - Didn't find any PVC pipes, so I used an empty bar. 2 sets of 5 and really stretching it out at the bottom.
2 sets of pullups: first one 5 and second managed only 3.

Stretching and JM.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:22 am

Ice Nigger wrote: His recipe was something like this: In our age we can't go like the kids (like I wasn't told this over and over already...). Teach as many classes as you can, spar a lot with guys who you get to execute your techniques on, avoid the balls to the walls guys and do a lot of conditioning ( I'm pretty sure he mentioned at least running, weight lifting and stretching). Doing only a lot of BJJ (like I've mostly done), in his opinnion, is a sure recipe for burn out and injury.
That's some Yoda shit right there.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:44 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Ice Nigger wrote: His recipe was something like this: In our age we can't go like the kids (like I wasn't told this over and over already...). Teach as many classes as you can, spar a lot with guys who you get to execute your techniques on, avoid the balls to the walls guys and do a lot of conditioning ( I'm pretty sure he mentioned at least running, weight lifting and stretching). Doing only a lot of BJJ (like I've mostly done), in his opinnion, is a sure recipe for burn out and injury.

Amen.

That is my exact plan minus the teaching. I'm going to steal this put it in my log if you don't mind.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:34 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Fo' shizzle!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:42 am

Was put away for a week by a stomach flu and being way too busy for IGx. I was training a bit once or twice in between now and teh last entry. Slow is good. Upper back just keeps staying fucked up.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:10 pm

Finally had that MRI done. Seems I'm done with grappling and most any physical exercise at least for a while. The pain that has pretty much made impossible all training since February is from a bulging disc in the thoracic spine. In addition to that there are 2 bulging discs as well as spondylosis in my neck, not to mention my 2 old friends bulging in the lumbar spine. The same doc that told me to go ahead doing whatever I could handle with the 2 bulging discs in my lumbar some years ago now told me to rest at least for as long as it hurts, since it is not very good odds to have surgery on the thoracic spine.

Disappointed, but not the end of the world. Going to work something out after maybe just playing a lot of guitar for a while. Here's a 10 minute excerpt from yesterdays therapy session after the doc called me: http://www.garageband.com/song?|pe1|S8LTM0LdsaSgaFa0Zm8

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:45 pm

Definitely not the end. Heal your body and mind and enjoy any of the millions of fun things there are to do in life.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:59 am

My homie Soupbone had some disk issues and he avoided surgery and is training BJJ in his early 40's somewhere around 2 years later.

I'll drop him a line and see if he can help you Ice Nigger.