Gut check

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

chunky style Scott
Recruit

Gut check

Post by chunky style Scott » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:54 am

All my life I have hated being fat, but made huge excuses why I was.

I can't keep going the same way. I'm 6'4", 300lbs, 36 years old, a smoker, and my wife is pregnant. I want to dance at my kid's wedding. It's time to face facts and realize my actions do not match up with what I want for myself and my family.

Walking to start. This morning I walked a half mile and nearly threw up from the exertion because there was a hill. This was humbling. I never thought a 20-minute walk would make me dry heave, but here I am.

Goals- quit fucking smoking. That's the stupidest thing I do. Second, cut out snacks that come in a foil bag like Fritos, potato chips, crap like that. I have to watch calories, I know. I'm going to start tracking cals on an index card and keep that shit under 2000 a day. Then, exercise. 4-5 days a week. Walking and situps for now, more when I can.

Today I walked a half mile and did 10 pushups and was huffing and puffing.

This shit has to change.

odin
Sgt. Major

Re: Gut check

Post by odin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:11 pm

good simple goals, and plenty of motivation with the pregnancy; this is a good basis for change in my amateur opinion. Good luck with it.

btw, this may or may not work for you, but with your professed dietary goals you may want to look at www.everydaysystems.com and the no-s stuff. It's not complicated, but it works well by addressing habits rather than the minutaea... Plus theres a neat little habit tracker tool which may help. Take it or leave it though, we're all different. Again, good luck.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Great start with the walking. Make it your primary focus outdoors (ignore the weather), 4 times a week minimum. Mix in any other regimens you like, bwt-kbells-barbells and DON'T EAT SO FUCKING MUCH.(Andy76-TM). Seriously you don't need a program, just walk like a motherfucker until you can do a half dozen hills(or more) over a 3-4 mile course). Eventually you'll be jogging up the hills and before the year's out, running up them, and DON'T EAT SO FUCKING MUCH! Good luck lardass.

chunky style Scott
Recruit

Post by chunky style Scott » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:21 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Not directly related to training, but I have now been three days without a cigarette, just cold turkeyed it.

Sat 1/16: Measured a walking course from my house so I'll know how much distance I'm going. Walked two miles, took about 45 minutes.

Sun 1/17: Two miles again, about 45 minutes.

Food intake has been OK but not great. No chips, candy, or soda. I need to cook at home more. Wife and I like takeout too much, and I have no idea how many cals are in Chinese takeout.

beefheart
Sergeant Commanding

Post by beefheart » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:00 pm

1. If your walks start toget boring get an MP3 player: beside your favorite music, the Adam Carolla Show, the Greg Fitzsimmons Experience.

2. The original YRG 50 plus DVDs are available on E-Bay.
ab g-d wrote:I can't understand how, given the training they did, the cavemen beat the dinosaurs.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:02 pm

Yes,, The walking for now is plenty. That will increase work capacity.
The fat loss is from not eating more than you burn. Period.
IGX List of things that work. Jumpstretch Bands, YRG, and Heavyhands.

The cigarettes have to go. Wean yourself with Nicotine gum or whatever works.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:18 pm

Becareful with doing too much at once. Based on your goals and my experience as someone who chewed and smoked 2-3 packs a day and known many others make the transition to non-smokers:

First concentrate on regular exercise. This is will begin prepping for the mood boost you are going to need when the cigarettes go. Do this for two months.

Then put down the smokes cold turkey. Cold turkey remains the most effective way to get off *nicotine*. Patches and whatever else delay the inevitable. Eat whatever the fuck you want. Almost no one, can quit smoking and not eat like crazy. Keep this up for three months.

Then worry about diet.

All that being said. I gave up smoking (booze and coke as well), focused on exercise, and changed my diet in one fell swoop, but it was fucking painful and I didn't have the extra stress of a baby on the way.

Good luck!

To recap exercise -> smoking -> diet. FWIW.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:42 pm

Looking good.

Listen to these fuckers.

Norm makes a key point. Don't do too much at one time.

Dan John has a great aticle on the 110% mentality and how it is self defeating but I can't find the motherfucker.

It boils down to not doing too much at once and don't sweat it if you fuck up and have a cig or eat a bacon cheeseburger.

And Jump Stretch bands, YRG, and Heavy Hands are magic manna. They get almost no negative hype by the batch of mean fuckers that occupy this board.

And Big Peach can probably help you if you drop him a PM. He's dropped a significant amount of weight eating what he wants but eating less.

Good luck you fat fuck.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

chunky style Scott
Recruit

Post by chunky style Scott » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:28 am

You guys are giving me the kind of input I was hoping for. Thanks.

Still no cigs. I wanted pizza while we watched football. Instead, had a recipe of baked chicken breast tenderloins baked in panko bread crumbs (dipped in some tasty sauce) and a potato sliced into wedges, sprayed with oil, and dusted with steak seasoning.

Both the potatoes and the chicken were the tits, I loved 'em (so surprised, the lower fat versions tasted great!). But they were not what I'm used to.

I have new goals that involve my family, and I will eat dog food if I have to.

I want to cook more at home and reduce my calorie intake. I'm open to suggestions.

Trip

Post by Trip » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:28 am

Nice work so far. Keep it up.

judobrian

Post by judobrian » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Do you have an ultrasound of the baby yet? Post it on the fridge, the snack cabinet, wherever you keep your smokes. Get your head right, the rest follows.
Rain don't change the sun...

Eric B
Gunny

Post by Eric B » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:45 am

JB has dropped some serious knowledge. Write the reasons you want to do this. Make copies, put photos on it, post it on your bathroom mirror, get seriously invested in why you want to do it.

You will want to quit. Stay the course. You are currently a product of many days' surrender to old habits. So today, make different decisions. At this moment, it feels like you are denying yourself. But you've fought the good fight for now.

It's always now. Keep it that simple.

Norman's progression is pretty solid. Start working out (walking is fine), then quit smoking, THEN clean up the diet. That's a great plan to create permanent change.

Good luck, chunk. Keep posting.
Over time, your quickness with a cocky rejoinder must have gotten you many punches in the face.

chunky style Scott
Recruit

Post by chunky style Scott » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:16 pm

Over a week smoke-free. Still want to light up in the morning and sometimes on work breaks, but along with my wife when I want to, I just don't.

That No S Diet is probably the way for me to go. Never mind what you eat, just don't eat too much of it most of the time. Save the indulgence for special occasions.

Walking and jumping jacks every day (jumping jacks for some variety and warm up). I do push ups maybe twice a week. Walks are 3 miles daily, early in the morning.

Also, bought a bathroom scale and this morning (Jan 22) was 291! This is 10lbs lighter than I estimate I was a week ago. Anyway, can't be too excited. It's my first measurement.

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:25 pm

Scott, good luck. By the way, nice job so far. Especially dropping the cigs.

Trip

Post by Trip » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:29 am

Update chunky?

chunky style Scott
Recruit

Post by chunky style Scott » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:41 am

I bought two diet cookbooks, one from Cooking Light and one from Better Homes and Gardens. Have been cooking breakfast and dinner for me and the missus every day. Still no cigs-- most times I miss them less than last week, sometimes I dream of them like sex.

No S Diet is the food plan, with 2 out of 3 meals per weekday coming from the diet books. Some of the recipes are good, others are not. I'm marking the hell out of the good recipes.

Still walking 3 miles per day, last week I did 6 days. I dropped and did 20 pushups twice, which felt good. I'm not huffing at the puss level I used to.

Weight this morning after morning shit was 286. That's another 5 pounds in less than a week. Right now I am psyched.

Is water really as important as these diet books recommend? I don't mind it, especially when I substitute decaf iced tea for some of the servings. But does it actually help fat loss?

chunky style Scott
Recruit

Post by chunky style Scott » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:46 am

Oh BTW, 2000 calories is a shitload of food if you're jamming your recipes with fruits and veggies. On my food plan using these diet books, I am stuffed at breakfast and after dinner. Course, that's egg white omelets, lean fish or chicken, steamed veggies, etc. But I thought I was going to be eating nasty shit and hungry all the time. Not so.

Trip

Post by Trip » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:09 am

Good work!

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:27 pm

chunky style Scott wrote:Oh BTW, 2000 calories is a shitload of food if you're jamming your recipes with fruits and veggies. On my food plan using these diet books, I am stuffed at breakfast and after dinner. Course, that's egg white omelets, lean fish or chicken, steamed veggies, etc. But I thought I was going to be eating nasty shit and hungry all the time. Not so.
Good Job. Remember this as you continue to shed the pounds, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Stay the course.
You'll be tempted and advised to tinker with almost everything. In six months or six weeks, you'll be the expert on what's working for you.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:32 pm

chunky style Scott wrote:Is water really as important as these diet books recommend?
Yes.
chunky style Scott wrote:But I thought I was going to be eating nasty shit and hungry all the time.
When you steam your veggies, put some fresh ginger, garlic and/or herbs in the water. It can add a little flavor. Not as good as saucing them, but lighter.
Keep up the good work.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

chunky style Scott
Recruit

Post by chunky style Scott » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:52 am

I actually find myself looking up calorie content of menu items before going out. Had a 6-inch turkey from Subway and baked chips for lunch, then walked a pretty fast 3 miles with the wife after work. Feeling good.

chunky style Scott
Recruit

Post by chunky style Scott » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:44 am

Weight is 282, another 4lbs lost.

Still no smoking. I walked 3 miles per day 6 days this week and want to continue that. I do some "extra credit" work 3-4 of those days like situps or pushups or jumping jacks. The 3 mile walk now takes about 50 minutes. (Unless the wife tags along.) The exercise is becoming something I look forward to and I will soon be ready for the next challenge. Plus, when I want to smoke, I get up and walk about 100 yards to get my mind off it.

Still going through the recipes in the diet cookbooks and finding some good stuff, other stuff not so good. (I wish I had a tasty, lower cal macaroni and cheese. I miss the old calorie and fat bomb we used to make, with buttered bread crumbs on top.)

Also bought a water filter pitcher and am drinking close to a gallon of water a day, plus brewed some iced green tea to drink with lunch, sweetened with Splenda. It tastes a little less than awful. Maybe I'll get used to it, or find a way to make it better.

I should update the log more often, but I'm staying the course every day like everyone is advising. Thanks again for any advice you have.

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:52 am

Nice job. Keep up the good work.

Trip

Post by Trip » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:41 am

Excellent.

chunky style Scott
Recruit

Post by chunky style Scott » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:46 pm

I ordered a set of Heavy Hands weights for me and another one for my wife. Looks like that will boost the intensity a little bit with the walking. Also an MP3 player so I can have some tunes and maybe go longer some days.

My Dad still has one of those FM headsets that looks like two Big Mac boxes strapped to your head, maybe I'll borrow that while I do Heavy Hands power walking. I just need some plum smuggler shorts and bright colored sweatbands. Wish me luck!