Frying the Quads

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Frying the Quads

Post by friedquads » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:25 am

Training method & goal: Use Wendler's 5/3/1 to build strength and also work on ultrarunning to complete Cascade Crest 100 in late August.

Benchmark testing done on 01/11-01/15 for initial numbers doing the first week of 65/75/85 percent as a dry run.

Math done via Wendler's formula of (Weight*Reps*0.0333)+Weight = Est 1RM
Back Squat - Calculated 1RM @ 280 lbs
Bench Press - Calculated 1RM @ 200 lbs
Deadlift - Calculated 1RM @ 325 lbs (The fuck?)
Military Press - Calculated 1RM @ 140 lbs

Running: Did easy 2 milers for a couple of the days and a 6 miler for the weekend. Ended up with 10 miles for the week. Not great, but after coming back from food poisoning the week before, it's a start.

Comments: Numbers are better than the shit that I posted up in my original intro (Thank God). Pissed about the DL number though. Not sure why I was gassed in the final set for the DL's.
Last edited by friedquads on Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay wrote:BTW, warriors kill shit. The only things you kill are exercise science and the board short display at Target.
I choose to kill people with kindness. Oh, I should also mention "kindness" is the name of my samurai sword.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Monday 01/18

Post by friedquads » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:31 am

Monday 01/18

5 mile out-n-back progressive run in 58:38.

Splits:

12:42
11:45
11:57 (first half in 30:27)
11:25
10:46 (second half in 28:11)

Comment: Was going to be a strength day, but the weather was too good to pass up. Legs felt great. Feet experiencing amnesia to running and the rusty feeling didn't pass until getting closer to the turnaround.
Jay wrote:BTW, warriors kill shit. The only things you kill are exercise science and the board short display at Target.
I choose to kill people with kindness. Oh, I should also mention "kindness" is the name of my samurai sword.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Tuesday 01/19

Post by friedquads » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:38 am

Tuesday 01/19

Back Squat & Bench Press

3x5 in 65/75/85 percent of calculated 1RM for squat (280 lbs) and bench (200 lbs). Final set to get in as many as possible without failure.

Squat:
5 x 180 lbs
5 x 210 lbs
6 x 240 lbs

Bench:
5 x 130 lbs
5 x 150 lbs
6 x 170 lbs

Comments: This was good. First time I ever had my body weight on my back for the final set. Probably could have squeezed out another rep if I was being spotted.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Yoga for Regular Guys

Post by friedquads » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:18 pm

Finally ordered a used copy of YRG after all of the recommendations. Expect to get it in 1-2 weeks. Hope it won't disappoint.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Wednesday 01/20

Post by friedquads » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:38 pm

Rest Day.

Getting mild case of DOMS, but not too bad. Need to start taking fish oil again and on a regular basis.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Frying the Quads

Post by powerlifter54 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:01 pm

fq,

Take this with a grain of salt, but if you weigh 240lbs and are planning to run 100 miles the last thing you need to be doing is squats. BP and DL are a good idea. Squatting and distance running are like @fit and pro-athletes...they do not mix well.

jmo
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Post by friedquads » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:54 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:fq,

Take this with a grain of salt, but if you weigh 240lbs and are planning to run 100 miles the last thing you need to be doing is squats. BP and DL are a good idea. Squatting and distance running are like @fit and pro-athletes...they do not mix well.

jmo
Thanks for the input.

The squats seem to help with the pounding when I go downhill on trails. Typically, most of the runners I know excel on the uphills (which I suck at) and they get killed on the downhills (which I excel at). Due to the eccentric movement of running downhill, it turns into a quad-dominate situation. I noticed this during my first White River 50 mile ultra a few years ago. There are good stretches of trail that are very long and the downhills are screaming fast to where your legs can give out from under you if you lose focus. The downhills were the only place where I felt like I had fresh legs. The training supplement I had during that time: cycling and squats, both quad-dominate workouts. I did that along with some isolating work with dumbbells (I wasn't versed in the barbell yet or the 4 major lifts like I am now.)

Thankfully Wendler's program only has each lift done once and not like other programs where you're squatting 3 x week. But if the squatting starts to hinder my progress, I'll cut them out.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:18 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:fq,

jmo
He did.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:39 pm

A few things from my own experience. YRG will not disappoint. I'd consider splitting your weight training up to one lift a session and only doing 3 sessions a week. Deads and squats in the same week were hard on my recovery. But it all depends on how your body responds. Good luck. Oh and as far as squeezing out an extra rep with a spotter, it's not necessary. I prefer to go near failure with one rep left in the tank to insure easier recovery. And be careful of focusing too much on the weight training if running is your sport. The weights are supposed to supplement your running not replace it as your main focus.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Thursday 01/21

Post by friedquads » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:20 pm

Thursday 01/21

Two mile benchmark test, out-n-back (running in the dark):

Mile 1 - 10:37
Mile 2 - 10:37

Total - 21:15

Comments: Should have warmed up better, but was pressed for time. Life's chaos interfered with original plan of an easy 4-5 miler in the day, but I wanted to get in some decent work and I was long overdue for a benchmark test. Wasn't too bad. The last time I did this (with a half-assed warm-up), I was about two minutes slower overall. This is a good sign that things have improved.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Post by friedquads » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:27 pm

Ed Zachary wrote:A few things from my own experience. YRG will not disappoint. I'd consider splitting your weight training up to one lift a session and only doing 3 sessions a week. Deads and squats in the same week were hard on my recovery. But it all depends on how your body responds. Good luck. Oh and as far as squeezing out an extra rep with a spotter, it's not necessary. I prefer to go near failure with one rep left in the tank to insure easier recovery. And be careful of focusing too much on the weight training if running is your sport. The weights are supposed to supplement your running not replace it as your main focus.
Thanks. I opted for trying two sessions a week due to how the testing week went. When I tried it with the standard M/T/Th/F, I ended up with little time to actually do any runs that were over 2 miles (running was done almost immediately after the lifts). With doing it two days a week, I end up with three days mid-week that are open. I use two of them for just running and one for rest/recovery (looking forward to the YRG book to help with that). This doesn't include the one long run on Saturdays and rest day on Sunday. So my first focus is still running, but the weight training is coming in a close second.

I checked out the 3 session option and although it would free up two days in the week for mid-week runs, I didn't like the idea of working 6 days a week when you tacked on the long run on the weekend. In my past training, this is what I've noticed my body liking:

- Two days off a week or more. One mid-week, one after the long run day. I use to also put a rest day before a long run, but I found that doing that didn't make me feel any better than working easy the day before.
- A workout session the day before the long run that wasn't running was okay. Doing strength work or cycling seemed to be fine the day before a long run. Running, hiking, or walking that was in excess of 1-2 miles caused my legs to turn to crap during the long run the next day. How at one time I was able to train by running 4 hours on a Saturday and repeated the same effort on Sunday I'll never know. I can tell you that it fucking sucked and it'll be a cold day in hell before I do that again as a first choice.
- Doing an easy session of cardio of 20 minutes minimum in the mornings or lunch time consistently shook the cobwebs off. When my work schedule and my office location were in a better place, I would ride my bike for part of my commute along with taking public transportation. 3.5 miles each way was the minimum for the bike. When the weather was better, I would ride 27 miles into the office, some days making it a round-trip effort. The cycling allowed me to beef-up my legs, maintain/increase my aerobic capacity, and help me recover from any runs that went awry. I really miss cycling. Wish I could do it again if my schedule and commute would allow it.
- Ice baths/cold showers work miracles.

One thing I want to put in as things progress is to do some conditioning work after the lifting. Not going all @Fit nuts, but something along the vein of the "North of Vag" option. But I'll probably wait to do that until another 2-3 months passes before even moving into that.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Friday 01/22

Post by friedquads » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:31 am

Friday 01/22

Deadlift & Military Press

3x5 in 65/75/85 percent of calculated 1RM for deadlift (325 lbs) and press (140 lbs). Final set to get in as many as possible without failure.

Deadlift:

5 x 210 lbs
5 x 245 lbs
7 x 275 lbs (Hell yeah!)

Military Press:

5 x 90 lbs
5 x 105 lbs
8 x 120 lbs (Hell yeah!)

Comments: Things went really well this time. Deadlifts were better than the initial test from last week and I was able to squeeze out two more reps in the final. Although it technically brings up my calculated 1RM to 340 lbs for the deadlift, I'm not going to dick around with the numbers right now and add more weight than I'm working with. Military Press went well too. Bar actually felt light when I cleaned it into position each time.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Saturday 01/23

Post by friedquads » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:29 pm

Saturday 01/23

Trail Run - 9.6 miles
Event: Pigtails Run
Elevation gain - About 900 ft
Type: Rolling hills
Weather: Rainy
Time: 1:56:12

Comments: Weather sucked ass. Rain was unexpected. Felt shin-splints on left leg at first, but it quickly died down. Used typical ultrarunner mentality - powerwalk the uphills, run the downhills and flats as best as possible without killing myself. Quads feeling the good hurt. Hamstrings are tender, but mobility overall (especially post-race) is good and recovery is also well. Had enough energy to where I could have ran a bit more, but didn't want to chance going out for a second 9.6 mile loop and then crapping out half-way. Name of the game is progression. I'll have next week's long run to get more miles in.

Positive note on the run: Time is fastest since the last few times I ran on the course, although not as fast as the first time I did it when I was solely running and not lifting (first time was about 1:30 for the distance)...plus, I weighed less and was weak as hell. Being larger but only 26 minutes away from my previous time - I know I'll be able to close the gap soon enough.

Total mileage for the week: ~17 miles

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Sunday 01/24

Post by friedquads » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:11 pm

Sunday 01/24

Rest/Recovery/Mental Health Day

Comments: Taking today off per the schedule. Legs feel about 80% back to normal. Massage and a variant of ART (Facilitated Active Stretch Technique - aka Release 2.0) should get me feeling closer to 100%. Very grateful that I took the time to modify my shoe inserts. Certain bones in my ankles that use to hurt bad didn't act up at all on the run thanks to the trimming away of the unnecessary materials.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Monday 01/25

Post by friedquads » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:10 am

Monday 01/25

Back Squat & Bench Press

3x3 in 70/80/90 percent of calculated 1RM for squat (280 lbs) and bench (200 lbs). Final set to get in as many as possible without failure.

Squat:

3 x 195 lbs
3 x 225 lbs
6 x 250 lbs (PR!)

Bench:

3 x 140 lbs
3 x 160 lbs
5 x 180 lbs (PR!)

Comments: Went in feeling good, ended up leaving feeling great! Quads are feeling solid. Tried to reach for 6 reps in the bench, but I was reaching the danger zone at 5 and if I tried to do one more, I would have failed and failed hard. Based on Wendler's formula, my new estimated 1RM should be at 300 lbs for the squat and 210 lbs for the bench. But like I said on 01/22, I'm not going to dick around with the numbers right now. Although, at this rate, I'm definitely going to have to buy that extra set of 50 lbs plates really soon.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Tuesday 01/26

Post by friedquads » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:29 am

Tuesday 01/26

5 mile out-n-back progressive run in 59:04

Splits:

12:40
11:51
11:58 (first half in 30:31)
11:36
10:56 (second half in 28:33)

Comment: A touch slower than last Monday's run, but within the same ballpark. Didn't help that I was stopped in the middle to ask for directions.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Wednesday 01/27

Post by friedquads » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Wednesday 01/27

Rest Day

Comments: Feeling good. Sleep seems to be getting better since starting, well deeper sleep anyway. Will use extra time to work my brain - studying java programming.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Thursday 01/28

Post by friedquads » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:59 am

Thursday 01/28

Easy Pi Loop Run (yes, 3.14 miles)

Time: 38:02
Avg Pace: 12:06

Comment: After first mile, things went south (stomach distress). Good thing I wasn't that far out from home to finish up. I'm confident that things will be better next run.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Friday 01/29

Post by friedquads » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:12 am

Friday 01/29

Deadlift & Military Press

3x3 in 70/80/90 percent of calculated 1RM for deadlift (325 lbs) and military press (140 lbs). Final set to get in as many as possible without failure.

Deadlift:

3 x 225 lbs
3 x 260 lbs
5 x 295 lbs (PR)

Military Press:

3 x 100 lbs
3 x 110 lbs
7 x 125 lbs (PR)

Comments: Feeling pretty damn strong. Also helped to get the frustrations of today out of my system with some hard lifting (had a job interview that stressed me the fuck out earlier in the day). Calculated 1RM for the Deadlift is at 345 lbs, 155 lbs for the Military Press. I'm wondering how I'll hold up next week when the lifting is at 5 reps @ 75%, 3 reps @ 85%, and 1 rep (or as many as possible) @ 95%.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Saturday 01/30

Post by friedquads » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:17 am

Saturday 01/30

Rest/Mental Health Day

Comments: Fucking headache was killing me to the point where I knew I would be asking for trouble for a run of any distance. Opted to spend time with the family and set the run for tomorrrow (Sunday). This will let me see how I do with heavy squatting and benching the day after.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Sunday 01/31

Post by friedquads » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:24 am

Sunday 01/31

Long Run

Course & Terrain: Out-and-backs on roads, 10 miles for #1 out-and-back/2 miles for #2 out-and-back.
Method: 4/1 - Run for 4 minutes, walk for 1.

Mile 1 - 13:20
Mile 2 - 13:02
Mile 3 - 13:00
Mile 4 - 12:59
Mile 5 - 12:20 (First half of #1 out-and back in 1:04:43)
Mile 6 - 12:41
Mile 7 - 11:58
Mile 8 - 12:04
Mile 9 - 11:53
Mile 10 - 12:06 (#1 out-and-back finished in 2:05:28)
Mile 11 - 12:07 (#2 out-and-back started)
Mile 12 - 10:32 (#2 out-and-back and full run completed)

Total Time: 2:28:08
Overall Pace: 12:20 min/mile

Total Weekly Mileage: +20 miles

Comments: Overall, a good run. Was able to go for 10 miles before needing water. Right foot mildly tweaking due to insert in shoe putting pressure on the blade of my foot. I'll have to shave some more of it off in the shoe to fix that for the next run. I think my foot should be feeling back to normal by tomorrow. My legs are feeling good otherwise. I'm very interested in knowing how my Squat & Bench routine will be tomorrow evening.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Monday 02/01

Post by friedquads » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:42 am

Monday 02/01

Back Squat & Bench Press

5 reps @ 75%, 3 reps @ 85%, 1 rep @ 95% of calculated 1RM for squat (280 lbs) and bench (200 lbs). Final set to get in as many as possible without failure.

Squat:

5 x 210 lbs
3 x 240 lbs
5 x 265 lbs (PR!!!)

Bench:

5 x 150 lbs
3 x 170 lbs
3 x 190 lbs

Comments: Seems that my legs can hold up to running long the day, followed up by squatting the next day. My back squat just keeps on climbing, with a calculated 1RM of 310 lbs now. The bench went well too, but I was only able to squeeze out three reps in the final round - making the calculated 1RM around the same as before, 210 lbs. I can only assume that I'm closer to my actual strength limits on the bench. I do consider this a good thing, since I can judge the weight increase better when it comes time to re-calibrate my numbers in a few months and work fully in the right strength zones. Tweaky foot from yesterday is nearly 100%, but I will take it really easy for tomorrow's run. Got to still fix that insert in that shoe.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Tuesday 02/02

Post by friedquads » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:50 am

Tuesday 02/02

0.25 mile walk on treadmill, 1 mile on stationary recumbent bike

Comments: Right foot went nuts during the work day. Couldn't do any more than the treadmill walk and the bike without it bothering me to extremes. Most likely starting out with mild case of tendonitis, not too unfamiliar, but a pain in the ass to deal with. Usually takes almost a week to go away, minimum of 3-4 days. Will apply heat like mad, do stretching and mobility work on it tonight and tomorrow.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Wednesday 02/03

Post by friedquads » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:43 am

Wednesday 02/03

Rest/Rehab Day

Comments: Believe that the problem isn't just the tendon, but a problem with the cuboid. Thankfully, there is a way to push the cuboid bone back in place.

friedquads
Pillowbiter

Thursday 02/04

Post by friedquads » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:06 am

Thursday 02/04

Rest/Rehab Day

Comments: Foot is feeling better now, but I'm going to back off on doing any running on it till the weekend. I'm able to put weight on it if I don't have any kind of flexion in the foot and I'm not going to run like a goof by running like a robot. I'll be able to still do my strength work for tomorrow, so it'll be okay.