Getting the fat off....damnit

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Getting the fat off....damnit

Post by short straw » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:17 am

I've been out of the KB "world" for a several months due to a shoulder injury but, working out..while in rehab.

My workout has consisted of:

Daily 2 mile swim. Mixed technique and with/without drag.
Daily 4 mile run/jog/walk/crawl..I don't claim to be a runner.

My rest days are Wed and Sun where I swim 1 mile w/out drag and run 2 miles at a very slow pace. Weighted vest for my runs on my rest days. Do they make a "womans" weight vest? The one I use is very uncomfortable.

This past month I have been working on mtn biking but, due to my left shoulder, it's been an off and on thing. Easy rides are good but, anything above that has been a leap of faith. My shoulder, thankfully, has held out well.

I do daily Pilates, at home, and some very minor lifting with my KB (light weight). I even bought the YRG videos recommended and they seem to be working well.

I am working towards an endurance race in August; sponsored by Wounded Warriors. It's 50 miles of rucking, running, mtn biking, etc.

I thought that training for this endurance race would be easier, being a Mtn. Bike Tri racer, I was completly fooled.

I will post, from now on, my swim, run, ruck times. It seems to help.
I feel just like I'm sinking and I claw for solid ground.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Re: Getting the fat off....damnit

Post by short straw » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:04 pm

Sunday and today I decided to take a rest day(s).

I swam 1.5 miles each day. Without drag. Came in under 1hr 05 mins both. I have no idea how I swam that last .5 miles in such a good time as I was feeling, both days, tired. It must have had something to do with the music on my iPod.

I ran a short 2 miles each day. Mostly graveled roads out near my house. Did the road barefoot and then put on my shoes. It felt great.

Down 2 pounds and clearly, on my way to reaching my goal weight.

I did some Pilates in the AM before my swim/run and did a few TGU's with my KB's beforehand.

I'll be weight running/jogging this week as I have no time to get to the pool. And will be doing part of the AT this Easter weekend. Hopefully, 30 miles of it over 2 days. I have a pickup scheduled and need to make it.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:43 pm

I spent most of Friday April 2nd getting my truck to the drop off spot for the AT. After camping Friday night south of Marion, VA. I started the AT and made it, Saturday, to Mt. Rogers with no problems. Slept at the Thomas Nob Shelter with some wild ponies to keep me company. Great weather to start my hike. Lots of day hikers in and around the area but, only 2 other people sleeping in the shelter that night. Both of them were AT thru-hikers. I felt humbled.
Wrong place to stop, though. I should have kept going, my miscalculation, to the next shelter further down the trail.
Sunday was an epic 28 mile hike. I have no feet, to speak of, left. I started at around 6:30am on Sunday and had to hike into Damascus, VA to meet my pick up for the ride back to my truck. I missed that by a huge 4hrs as I got into town at a little past 9pm. The going was slow with the blisters on the pads and heels of both feet. I did bring moleskin but, forgot my "Second Skin" which I love. Thankfully, I thought about bringing my headlamp or that hike would have had to stop at dusk.
Slept at the hostel in Damascus and got a ride to my truck on Monday morning. I ate at Dots Diner in Damascus and went thru more food in one sitting than I normally eat in a week. It tasted so good.
My next hike will be in May. Better prepared, better terrain maps, better..everything.
But, I'm pretty proud of myself for doing it solo and making it, sore and blistered, to my ending point.
The swimming/mtn biking surely helped my shoulders and back (my pack weighed 19 pounds at start). The running was a major plus for leg strength.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:08 am

Sounds fun, but tiring, ss.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks Mickey,

It was a good hike. Good, not great. The section I did has been said to be the most "scenic" of all hiking on the AT. I have no idea who thought that but, would like to correct them. It would be scenic if not for the mere fact that most of the ascent to Mt. Rogers (Massey Gap to the shelter) is thru some of the most rocky terrain I've even hiked. My trekking poles helped a great deal, though. I felt like a billygoat. Rarely looked up while hiking b/c I needed to keep my eyes on the trail for fear of snapping my ankle, or worse.
I did stop several times just to enjoy the views.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:34 pm

Cool trip.

Nothing gets the fat off like carrying your own food while on a multi-day hike. Keep on truckin'.
Don’t believe everything you think.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:33 pm

4/7

Shoes are out of the question for the next few days. So, no runnning/walking/hiking. Most of the blisters have gone down on their own but, one on my right heel had to be taken care of while at work last night.

Dry land stretching for 30mins

Swim:
200m warmup
Paddles-8x50m
100m rest
Pool buoy-8x50m
200m cool down

Dry land post-swim stretch-30 mins

Not a long swim but, it felt good to work my shoulders and legs. Pulling that 8x50 was painful on my shoulders for the first 100m. But, slowly, eased the tension and felt like a natural movement again.

Lucky enough to swim at a facility that has a comp 50m pool.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:01 pm

4/8

My feet still hurt like hell..so, another swim.

Dry land stretching-30 mins

200m warmup
600m (broke at the 300m mark for a 100m rest swim) with drag.
200m cool down

Dry land stretching-30 mins.

Came home and did 35 mins yoga. Quiet, peaceful stretching.

My shoulders/back and arms feel good. My thighs and calves still feel pretty tight but, loosen up during my swim.

Tomorrow, I'm going to do some barefoot jogging. Not barefoot but, with some padded socks I bought. I have to walk up to the paved road in my sandals and then will jog/walk for 2 miles. Not far but, my blisters are still healing and feel fairly tight.

This weekend; nothing but the sand between my toes and fun swims in the ocean for 2 days.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:26 pm

Thanks, Nafod

You're right about the fat burning. I weighed myself just before I left home on Friday and even with the monster meal I ate at Dots..I lost 6 pounds. I can only assume it had something to do with walking and eating, at the same time, on my "damnit, I stopped too early" portion of the hike.
Believe it, or not...the best part of that hike was the Tres Pistols I drank when I finally made it into Damascus. Be damned the rules about "no alcohol" at the hostel. I sat outside, opened a beer that had been in my backpack for two days and carbs never tasted so good. It was a great reward.

4/9

Off work so I could swim early.

300m warmup
1600m basic, easy swim. No paddles, buoys or drag. No time, no rush. Just me and my iPod. I should do this swim more often
200m cool down

At home:
Very slow paced 2 mile jog without shoes. This feels too good to be true.

I'm keeping a journal of weight/inches lost. I'm not doing too damn bad.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:38 pm

4/16

This whole week has been nothing but a clusterfuck of work. 3-12's and 2-16's in 5 days (all on 3rd shift). I didn't have time to think; let alone try to get a workout in. That sucked. At least my feet have healed.

This weekend I am planning on 2 days of hiking the backroads of my area. I'll be carrying 20lbs in my pack and hiking/walking 15 miles. The second day I'm upping the ante and will be carrying 23lbs and hiking/walking 18 miles. You can walk for miles around here and not see a car or person for quite some time.

I bought some new Lowa hiking shoes. A cross between an all-terrain shoe and a hiking boot. For every 2 miles I hike in my old shoes; I'll be switching them out with my new ones.

I've bought a pedometer for work. Suprisingly, I walk about 8 miles a night at work. If I don't have a call; all I do is walk unless I do some work in the ER.

Looking forward to some vacation time after my AT hike in May. Will be spending the middle part of that month in UT; hiking around Arches National Monument and mtn biking some very good slick rock. Will try to get a good days ride in on some of the Fruita, Co trails, as I fly in Denver.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:37 pm

4/17

Woke up very early and glad for that. It's hot out there today but, had a nice breeze the entire walk. Weighed my pack, prepped my feet with moleskin and loaded up my Camelback and off I went.
No specific time set, no watch. Just me and 15 miles. I was hiking as the sun was coming up and not a sound to be heard. It felt like heaven (or hiking in CO). My feet held up well, my new shoes felt great and I kept up a fairly steady pace. Took my hiking poles and I'm sure I looked like a fool. Didn't bother me one bit. But, while I was out there I realized how much I missed these early morning hikes. The peace and solitude. One foot infront of the other. Brought my iPod and listened to some classical until I knew I was about 4 miles from my house and then changed the playlist to something a bit more upbeat.

Tomorrow, I'll have a bit more of a time plan. Not sure what that will be until I get out there and see what I feel like doing.

One thing: this journal will be my personal "note to self" that I need to quit smoking. I've done well these past few months. Cut back to less than 1/2 pack a day. Rarely smoke at work, if ever. But, I'm worried that going to altitude next month will be a suckfest of epic proportions for me. It's been....6 yrs since I've been to CO and UT. I've never had problems with altitude/cardio and my smoking but, I don't think that will be the case now. Damnit, back in the days of living at 10,000ft I could run up and down my driveway, chasing my pooches with a cigarette in one hand. I don't know if I could (or would want to) do that anymore.
I could get on the patch or chew the gum. But, I'm not too sure that's the best route for me. I'd like to be completely smoke-free by my b-day in August. Good goal and attainable. I'd pat myself on the back and buy myself something new and pretty. Amazing how much money a pack of smokes costs. I've taken the money from a pack, that I would have normally bought, and put it in a jar...in my kitchen so that I can see it every.single.damn.day. I think a new mtn bike might just be in order.

Off to a BBQ and some well earned relaxing.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:45 pm

4/19

Sunday...I got up early and for some reason..was in no mood to go for a hike. But, I did. Not a good thing. My pack felt like it weighed 100lbs, my back hurt and I complained the entire way (to myself and not outloud, thankfully). Each step farther away from home kept making me want to turn back. But, 18 miles later I turned into my driveway. Never bothered to look at the time when I left and didn't give a damn when I got home; just that I made it. Later in the day after a few sips of Jolly Pumpkin-Ore de Calabaza while sitting on my deck and I had thoughts of trying it again. I didn't.

Monday-Worked until 11am today and took my bike with me to work. Went out and rode Harris Lake. Not a soul around for most of the ride. Did 3 complete loops. It felt good to use my entire body again. I rode easy the first and third loops but, rode hard the second. 7.7miles for each "lap". I don't like having to cross a road to get to the other side of the trail but, this ride is fairly close to work.

Not sure what I'll be doing this week but, would like to ride and/or swim a few days.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:09 am

This past week was spent doing things I enjoy. So, I ran some, biked some and swam often. Kept my swims to about 1 or 1.5 miles and easy. I was sore and just plain broke from my past weekend of hiking.
This past weekend I spent doing something I love. I rode some amazing horses. Ones that I had trained before and ones that I had never been on. I worked them and myself out. I worked the lunge, the carpanian and did alot of obstacle work. I started at around 7:30a and wouldn't break until noon. Back on it an hour later until 7pm or so. I rode the Moss Foundation and private trails. I spent a few hours out on the X-country course at Carolina Horse Park. I warmed-up, saddled and rode every single one of them and even took the time to cool them down when we were done training. It was amazing.
I took Monday and Tuesday off as muscles I hadn't used in quite a while needed a break.
This week will be 2 hikes around Smith Lake, after work and a long hike(20 miles) this weekend.
Smoking was a small issue this weekend. Didn't have more than a few during the day but, broke down Saturday night and smoked about 1/2 a pack while spending time with some friends in Fayetteville.
I've done well Monday and Tuesday. About 5 total for both days.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:36 am

4/28

Today, on lunch, I rode my bike over to Smith Lake and rode the course 2 times before heading back to work. Great weather to be out on my bike. I rode one easy loop and then one hard for a total of 16 miles on the course. The rides to and from work were just trying to keep myself from getting killed while crossing Bragg Blvd. One thing that shocked me was having to pay to ride now. It's been quite some time since I worked or rode out this way and $5 to ride, not bad, but I wouldn't think that they would have charged for a mtn bike ride on a military base.

After work, I headed back over to Smith and ran/jogged the course once. It's not too runner/jogger friendly but, the trails are soft and there really isn't too much in the way of rocks or roots to catch my feet. Luckily, I was able to use my day pass so, I didn't have to pay again. There was no way I'm going to pay to run.

I'm giving myself a hearty pat on the back for not smoking a single cigarette today.

Tomorrow my plan is to take my bike and ride at lunch again. The fire breaks offer plenty of good riding and the traffic can be avoided, too.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:36 am

4/28

Spent the rest of the day, after work, push mowing my little yard and the 2 grassy areas surrounding my neighbors flower gardens. All in all about 1.5 hrs worth of work.

4/29

Lunch:
Rode out Long St. Main Gate and made a right to go onto the fire break. Lots of people ride this area but, for once, no one was around. It was wonderful. Almost got lost when I made a wrong turn onto a trail but, ended up on Manchester Rd and road the rest of the 6 miles or so back to work on pavement. I still had my big knobbies on from my ride in VA so,the ride wasn't as comfortable (or quiet) as I would have liked it to be.

Came home and hiked to the TLC's area near my house. Hiked the Deep and Rocky River trail and then headed back hom. 7 miles.
Enjoyed a nice, cold beer and only one cigarette.

I find that when I use my whole body (swimming) I feel much more relaxed and well rested the next day. When I target just my legs (hiking, walking) I tend to feel sore in my lower back and neck. I think it must have something to do with how I am walking/moving. I tend to lean a bit too far forward and stick my neck out when I have any sort of a pack on. I'll have to work on that aspect before mid-May.

Getting ready for my trip to CO and UT next week. Lots of hiking, mtn biking and a bit of climbing thrown in for fun. I'm shipping my bike out to a shop in Moab. It's insane what the airlines want to charge for shipping your bike or calling it "luggage". FedEx will ship it out for $23.00 and that's in my hardsided carrier. So, no more mtn bike riding for me.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:00 pm

6/6

Returned to NC recharged and rested from 8 wonderful days in UT and CO. 27 days smoke free and I feel pretty damn good.

Came home to a mess of hiking, biking and climbing crap that needed unpacked and cleaned. Spent my evenings and weekends, up until this last one, doing some long road and trail hikes. Threw in a few rides and some swims and finally, spent some time in my new kayak.

Last weekend I participated in a 16hr Adventure race with a group called OnPoint.org. Great foundation for wounded soldiers founded by a dear friend of mine who broke his back while in Iraq. Lots of hiking (messy, messy crap), a total of 29 miles on the bike, 3 20ft plus rappels and a few free river runs thrown in for fun. Thankfully, I did not have to land nav or we would still be out there. Came in 2nd and very proud of it.

Back to my mess of a training schedule. But, looking forward to a new group and trainer to work out with starting next week, I hope.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:48 pm

6/17

My daughter turns 18 today. So, in honor of her birthday everything was done in sets of 18 (I never had much creativity when it came to a workout).

I started with a ladder of:
1 sit up
1 push up
1 pull up (had to be "assisted" after #4)
1 squat

and worked my way up to 18. Not much but, for me that's pretty good.
Went on an 18 min run and then an 18 min walk.

Will follow up today with an 18 min swim when I get to the pool.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:34 pm

6/7

After only doing a bit of swimming or hiking/rucking for the past few weeks; I was amazed at last nights workout.

My first with a personal trainer and I got a beat down. I've never worked out with one before but, am grateful I am working out with this one. Every move was demonstrated (more than a few times on some), the pace was easy and the support and encouragement was fantastic! It felt GREAT! We started out with some basic stretching, moved into some KB basics to check on form (I do need some work) and then moved into a circuit. An epic fail for me. I couldn't finish the entire thing but, did give my best to all the moves I did.

I will never preach the benefits of quitting smoking. You'll either quit or you won't. But, last night made it clearly evident why I'm glad I did. It wasn't muscle failure that forced me to stop but, lack of any real capacity to catch my breath. I felt winded, flushed and not so great. I know my lungs will get stronger, with time. But, dammit that sucked.

Driving home was an even bigger issue because I wanted, no, craved a cigarette. I didn't stop. When I got home I just got out of the car and went for a nice long, slow walk. Came inside had a few big glasses of water, had a "I did my first workout" beer and went to bed.

I'm sore this morning but, it's a very good sore. And I'm looking forward to my next workout tonight.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:58 pm

This past week has been filled with firsts. My first workout with a trainer, my first "almost vomitting while working out" workout and my first week of working out in the heat of NC. All in all, a stellar week!

Wed's nights workout was filled with KB's and my first TRX workout. All done in 100 degree heat.
Thursday nights was a bit of the same but, with what I felt, more intensity. The farmers walks kicked my ass; as did the TRX circuit. I failed at the ab roller but, did get to sub 30 second planks when I couldn't do anymore. 3 circuits completed in 20 mins. All done with the encouragement from a great trainer.
Wed and Thurs ended with JS bands. My favorite, so far. I could do just those the entire workout and still, not get enough.
Hoping to work on my KB form next week (I have this feeling I won't get away with anything) and working with the TRX a bit more.
This weekend is being spent doing my favorite; riding horses. Although, getting up out of a chair has been a challenge. I can't imagine what getting up on a horse will feel like.

Going on 50 days smoke free and feeling good, not great. I've never like cardio (besides swimming, that is) and these workouts can kill my lungs. But, a few seconds (or minutes) rest and I'm ready to do more.

Spider Monkey

Post by Spider Monkey » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:15 am

50 days smoke free.

Good for you! I quit 11 years ago. It's one day at a time, but somewhere around 3-4 years I really didn't miss it anymore and now it sort of disgusts me.
Bread and circuses.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:25 pm

Thanks Spider Monkey! After one "fall off" this week... one cigarette (I was amazed at how guilty I felt just buying them) I'm back. 54 days and counting. Kinda like AA without the meetings, coins and mentor. But, going from an average of one pack a day to nothing; I'll be rich beyond my wildest dreams, soon. What I was spending, per day, on smokes will pay for each months training and then some.

This week passed by in a blur of too much work, too much heat and not enough rest. It showed during my workout on Wed. I cried like a little girl 20 mins into it. I was tired, frustrated and just too damn hot. However, I was incredibly proud 10 mins into the workout when my 2H KB swing finally, finally, found it's way. High fives and some happy jumping around. 10 mins later and I was wanting to quit. I have an incredible trainer who told me to "take five, get some water" and we could start again. No bashing, yelling or "wtf" attitude. It's amazing what supportive training can do for a person.

Tues and Thurs were hot, as well. Working outside all day and then going to workout for an hour, also outside. Well, I didn't think I could make it past day 2. I've now passed training day 6 and I feel great. Thursday was, by far, my favorite. Lots of jump rope mixed in with a TRX circuit and I didn't want to stop at the hour mark. I feel stronger, leaner and much better all around. My lungs are still kicking my ass but, all in good time.

I have next week off and am going to go back to some hiking, rucking and mtn biking. I will still continue with my joint mobility and stretching. My hamstrings are way too tight still. Going online this weekend to buy my very own TRX (that will be one thing I pack, to carry with me, when I leave in Sept.) and I'm going to look at buying some JS bands, too.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:25 pm

7/23

What a good week it has been. Lots of late evening hiking and mtn biking. I have stuck to trails I have ridden often-Sharon Harris and even a ride or two out at Smith Lake. Have logged about 20 miles of easy hiking/rucking on some very nice country roads out near where I live. I'm doing this during the middle of the day when I'm off from work. This heat has been brutual but, helpful in building up my tolerance to the heat/humidity conditions I'll be facing in a few weeks.
Helped my neighbor move a downed tree from their driveway, too.
Daily joint mobility and stretching.

This weekend I'll be up in Brevard. Riding some amazing trails and hiking around Sliding Rock.

My next race is on the 20th of Aug. and I'm looking forward to it.

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:45 pm

7/29

After a good weekend of easy single track riding and hiking I was back into the swing of things on Tues.

A good workout altogether. JM and then a few TGU's to get things started. 3 rounds (or it might have been 2) of KB squats, TRX and only one round of ab roller (I did the next round(s) with planks instead). I was hot,sweaty and tired but feeling all over good.

What it is about Wednesday workouts is beyond me but, it sucked. I hadn't eaten all day, it was hot and humid and I really just wasn't in to it at all. Some good natured ribbing from my trainer (I've never been called a "Chatty Kathy" before but, that was good for a laugh) didn't even stir enough ire in me to get me going. Every single time I stood up I felt light-headed and unable to catch my breath. I quit (my first and last time I allow myself to do anything like that) 35 mins into an hour work out. Yep, I need to eat.
I was warned that today would be Groundhogs day. Dammit, I'll make it through that and anything else I get thrown my way. Sometimes, anger (healthy anger, mind you) is the only way to get my fat, out of shape, sluggish, nicotine infected ass going.
I've stopped counting my smoke free days. I've quit smoking and pretty damn proud of myself for doing so. Every now and again I crave one, need one. But, I just find something else to do instead.
My cardio sucks, still. But, with only 60 days until I leave I'm glad I quit. I won't have the time nor, inclination to find somewhere, anywhere to go have a smoke. And my "smokes jar" is getting pretty damn full, too.
I'm going into tonights workout with a much better frame of mind, some food eaten and lots of water. JM, TGU's, KB DL's and squat thrusters. As long as it isn't "for time"; I'm golden!

short straw
Staff Sergeant

Post by short straw » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:35 pm

7/29 6:30pm

JM
TGU's-Right/Left 5 times each
KB DL-5 @ 70lbs and 5 @ something less
Ascending/descending ladder:
10 KB 2H swings
1 squat thruster

I fell apart on the 7th squat thruster. Dammit. So, finished up with 2H KB swings and body weight squats, instead. That sucked but, I finished my workout.