Weak's Log

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Weak

Weak's Log

Post by Weak » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:44 am

I'm a weak guy, and I want to do a log to try to keep consistent. I'm the classic guy who jumps about between routines without ever getting the any benefit. I'm lazy, and mentally not strong.

Height: 6'2 with shoes.
Weight: 230

Goals: get stronger, get a big "yoke" (neck, back, traps), get a big ass, and get a big stomach. Also, I want to be able to engage in basic sports when the need arises.

Yesterday's workout

Squat: Worked up to 1x5 @ 221
Bench: little bit of warm up then 1x5 at 190
Deadlift: Worked up to 1x1 @ 361

Lower back has been worn out. Shouldn't have done a heavy dead (for me). Probably going to focus on sleep and food until it feels %100.

Here's a couple of videos of me doing some sessions in the gym

arms & abs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaJ1dua5 ... re=channel

legs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_rP2C57 ... re=channel

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Re: Weak's Log

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:36 am

I hope you choke on a chicken bone.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:09 am

Good work MoN, that's a fine variation on the classic IGX welcome.

Weak; I'm more of a traditional man at heart, so please, go fuck yourself.

You following a specific template or program?
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Weak

Post by Weak » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:49 pm

odin wrote:Good work MoN, that's a fine variation on the classic IGX welcome.

Basically starting strength. But like I said, I don't have mental toughness, so I only like doing one true work set. I can push myself hard on one set if I know it's my only set, but if I have in my head that after 1 hard set I have 2 harder sets I bail out on the first set.

So, what I'm trying to do is make sure I get some volume while working up to my max.

I've been lifting for about 4 years, but the first 3 years were me doing bicep curls only. And I mean that truthfully, I literally did bicep curls for 3 years. And my arms actually got quite big. But having no back or ass really, really bothered me when I looked in the mirror.

Got a good nights sleep, no alarm clock since a weekend. Eating breakfast as I speak, will get a good amount of cals in. No lifting today, might do some neck work, will get back to it mon or tues.

Weak

Post by Weak » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:45 pm

Just finished a bit of conditioning because of boredom. I'm not doing a real workout until tuesday, and I didn't work out saturday, so I was getting bored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Tqv4TK7xk

I did one set of this without putting the bar down with an oly bar and 22 pounds on it. Much too greedy. Had to stop repeatedly for the second set. Didn't try a third. I'm going to see if I can get through the whole thing with just the bar next time.

Did a little bit of jogging. Didn't quite finish my trail, but that was because my ipod ran out of bats.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Weak wrote:
odin wrote:Good work MoN, that's a fine variation on the classic IGX welcome.

Basically starting strength. But like I said, I don't have mental toughness, so I only like doing one true work set. I can push myself hard on one set if I know it's my only set, but if I have in my head that after 1 hard set I have 2 harder sets I bail out on the first set.

So, what I'm trying to do is make sure I get some volume while working up to my max.

That's how I always used barbells and found the approach worked quite well. I could/can never stomach more than one or maybe two hard sets. I don't think it's a lack of toughness though - Jim Wendler has described himself as a one pump chump before and he does ok. One of those horses for courses things I think.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:12 pm

I'm the exact same way as far as being able to psych up for one big set, can't wrap my mind around multiple ball busting efforts. I burned out quick on Starting Strength.

I think the key to any of those linear programs is to either be a rank beginner who has near unlimited room for short term gains or you have to start the program waaaayyyyyy low on your weights. If you could squat 5 for 315, maybe start the program at 3x225. Otherwise I get near my max PDQ and I can't sustain new PRs workout after workout.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Weak

Post by Weak » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:52 pm

I didn't sleep well today. I also didn't get a good breakfast or lunch in. School is fucking killing me. I'm going to eat like a man possessed for the rest of today.

This might help me bulk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA

Check out the smirk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA#t=3m57s

I feel bad for this girl. Not even I would fuck her, and the amount of things in the extant universe I wouldn't fuck is about 5.

Weak

Post by Weak » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Squatted up to 1x5 @ 231. These reps were ROUGH. I ended up hoola hooping up out of the whole for the last 2. I notice I often shift right when coming up out of the whole squatting. I feel like this might be hurting my power (i.e., I’m only pushing with my right leg and using my left for balance). Any fixes? I’m thinking I’ll grease the groove with proper form and a light weight Wed or Thu. I’m not going to do another strength day until Friday or Saturday.

1x5 Strict Military press @ 126. No push press, no legs, no nothing. Going to move up to 20kgs next time!

1x5 Power clean @ 155. Came up very easily.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:40 pm

Weak wrote:Squatted up to 1x5 @ 231. These reps were ROUGH. I ended up hoola hooping up out of the whole for the last 2. I notice I often shift right when coming up out of the whole squatting. I feel like this might be hurting my power (i.e., I’m only pushing with my right leg and using my left for balance). Any fixes? I’m thinking I’ll grease the groove with proper form and a light weight Wed or Thu.
Here's an article on squat mobility assesment that deals with what you're describing. It's No. 6 on the list:

http://articles.elitefts.com/sports-tra ... nt-part-1/

Your problem may be cured by going lighter and just focusing on form, but if it's a bigger issue this info might help.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Weak

Post by Weak » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:42 pm

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Weak wrote:Squatted up to 1x5 @ 231. These reps were ROUGH. I ended up hoola hooping up out of the whole for the last 2. I notice I often shift right when coming up out of the whole squatting. I feel like this might be hurting my power (i.e., I’m only pushing with my right leg and using my left for balance). Any fixes? I’m thinking I’ll grease the groove with proper form and a light weight Wed or Thu.
Here's an article on squat mobility assesment that deals with what you're describing. It's No. 6 on the list:

http://articles.elitefts.com/sports-tra ... nt-part-1/

Your problem may be cured by going lighter and just focusing on form, but if it's a bigger issue this info might help.

Interesting. Tomorrow I'm going to grease the groove with squats at 165. I'm planning on multiple sets of 10. Friday I'll do nothing but conditioning. Then saturday I'll hit a real strength workout. If I'm still hoola hooping, I'll follow that links advice.

Today I did 3 sets of the randy couture grappling circuit with just the bar. I'm not in great conditioned shape. Pretty fun. It's: 1x8 bo row, 1x8 upright row, 1x8 mp, 1x8 gm, 1x8 lunges, 1x8 backsquat thrusters, 1x8 sldls. Left it at 3 sets because I remembered that today was a conditioning day and there's no reason to kill myself. Still, I think I've got my full of it. I'll switch to some new conditioning for my off days next day. Maybe I'll just do some light jogging Friday, then search youtube for some neat, light workout for Sunday.

Food was ok today. Ate regularly, but not a ton of protein. Still weighed 231... hoping to hit 235 at some point, but I've been stuck at 230 for 5 months... My frame must be pretty big because I'm still too skinny for my liking. Sleep was good.

Weak

Post by Weak » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Sleep: about 6 hours. Planned to grab 7, but had a strange dream that kept my mind working so I couldn't go back to bed.

Food: Hasn't been bad so far. Breakfast is always a huge challenge. Got an apple, a bit of smoothie, a little coffee, and some ham down. I need to focus on breakfast big time.

Workout: Haven't decided what to do today. Might be doing a bunch of set of light sets of squats to work on form... or I might grab a nap and make sure try to get a good amount of cals in.

Back feeling ready for another heavy dl day! Like I said before, planning a strength day for sat. :rock:

Weak

Post by Weak » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:26 pm

Sleep: shit--4 hours.

Food: shit, a power bar and a monster energy drink for breakfast.

Workout:

Couldn't hold myself out the gym. Did a strength day.

Squat: Worked up to 1x5 @ 236. MISSED MY LAST REP. Not sure how to feel about it. I've never missed a squat before. On the one hand, I feel bad that I didn't man up and push that last one out. I think I could have if I killed myself. On the other hand, I was always afraid to miss a squat. Nobody ever taught me how. And now that fear is gone. I just rode the bar back down to the rack and ducked under. Painless.

I think I'm just going to add another 5 and try for 1x5 241 with a good night's sleep and some breakfast in my belly. If I miss again, I'll stop progressing.

Bench: 1x5 @ 195. It was an ordeal, but even on the last rep I wasn't afraid I would miss.

Deadlift: 1x1 @ 371. Came up EASY. Almost got greedy and repped it, or added weight. But since I'm progressing well on the dl... why mix up what's working?

Weak

Post by Weak » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:49 am

argh... very bad day at the gym today...

1x3 @ 133 for strict military press then two singles to get to 5 work reps.
1x5 @ 160 for power clean (came up fine).
1x3 @ 243 for squat then two singles to get to 5.

sleep and food have been SHIT. I'll sleep without an alarm today... but still food will still be shit because I'll be buying it and only have about 60 bucks to get me till Sunday night when the cafeteria opens again. No pots to cook good shit for me either... dunno what I'll do but I gotta hit Krogers to make sure I don't lose a shitload of weight.

Not trying to eat balanced, just want to get cals in. Argh. Probably some fast food. Maybe that will push me into weight gain mode...

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:38 pm

Weak wrote:but still food will still be shit because I'll be buying it and only have about 60 bucks to get me till Sunday night when the cafeteria opens again. No pots to cook good shit for me either... dunno what I'll do but I gotta hit Krogers to make sure I don't lose a shitload of weight.

Not trying to eat balanced, just want to get cals in. Argh. Probably some fast food. Maybe that will push me into weight gain mode...
If you aren't lactose intolerant, whole milk is a good cheap high calorie filler. Under $3 a gallon at Kroger.

Weak

Post by Weak » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:26 pm

Meh.

1x3 @ 243 then 3 singles. Decided that if I couldn't get 5 I'll just add singles until I can so. 6 total reps.

1x5 bench @ 200 came up fine.

1x1 dead at 375. Only added a few pounds b/c didn't feel great.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:13 pm

Weak wrote:Still weighed 231... hoping to hit 235 at some point, but I've been stuck at 230 for 5 months... My frame must be pretty big because I'm still too skinny for my liking. Sleep was good.
231 at 6'2"...you're a big boy.
Don’t believe everything you think.