Don't think. Feeeeeeeeel

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Yogalete

Don't think. Feeeeeeeeel

Post by Yogalete » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:08 am

I’m in Manila for work last week and this coming week, and have been contemplating where my training is going. Long hours at the airport and on the plane with lots of time to think have resulted in starting a new IGX log as a place to gather my thoughts and solicit feedback. I’m not interested in logging in the traditional counting beans sense. In other words I probably won’t be entering every rep of every set I do or total up hours of yoga, or mileage. As I have mentioned here before, I kept records of every workout I did from the 9th grade until a couple of years ago. Over the years logging became an end rather than a means. Let’s just say it fed my OCD side, and never really served a purpose for an all around hacker such as myself. Who am I kidding, I’m just a middle aged guy tying to stay in shape and enjoy it.

In fact, since I stopped logging 2 years ago, I am fitter, with better body comp, and less nagging pain (not to say there is none) than I have been in probably 15 years or more. Now, a lot more factors than my not logging workouts are responsible for that.

1)I stopped drinking almost entirely for this period. Heavy drinking and trying to be exceptionally fit are really mutually exclusive for most mortals. Like climbing a mountain with 200 lbs strapped to you waist. I frittered away a lot of years that way.

2) I adopted a “one day at a time” philosophy for a lot of things. Diet for one. Instead of trying to be perfect, I adapted the No S diet to my situation. Set some simple rules, and you either succeed or fail on a daily basis. Start new the next day. In my case, the rules were to only eat within a maximum window of 4 hours a day (in practice it is usually between 1730ish and 2000ish). On the weekends I usually start eating around noon on Saturday, with Sunday being the only day I eat breakfast. May not work for everyone, but I cannot imagine eating any other way. I try to eat 80-90 percent “clean”, but I’m not going nuts trying to eat “perfectly”, cutting out entire food groups, or track every calorie and macronutrient like some kind of insane accountant. If there is one thing I have proven to myself over the years it is that I cannot maintain those kinds of idealist diets. I can do this plan if I take it one day at a time. It is second nature now.

3) No cookie cutter lifting plans. I’m not naturally gifted in strength or structure, and most of the stuff you see on the net is written by and for guys like Shaf or Mickey. When I try to follow some powerlifting or similar program as laid out, I always end up getting hurt. Thanks to IGX, I learned that kettlebells really aggravate some long-term neck and nerve issues I have. That was actually a blessing (painful, but a blessing). That knowledge (and the resulting MRI) freed me up from forcing myself to deadlift and squat with barbells for example. They really fuck up my neck EVERY TIME.

What I actually do now is pretty vanilla, but I can actually DO IT for more than a few weeks at a time, so I have some muscle to show for it, and have almost accidentally gotten much stronger on the lifts I do. Lots of chins, dips, and pushups. But not on some template that bothers my elbows, neck etc. Lots of dumbbell /powerblock stuff. And yes, a lot of work on machines. I’ve found I can avoid a lot of impingement problems in my shoulder with 90% of my presses done with a neutral grip (palms facing) on machines. I do lunges and leg presses. A lot of “old bodybuilder” tricks like high rep work, “matrix” reps, rest pause. Never to failure, in fact far from it. Fairly high volume within a workout, but only lifting twice a week. Generally working by feel. It is an IGX invented concept called “Instinctive Training” I believe. Here is a line from Dave Draper’s last newsletter that describes what I strive for “I’m on a mission and moment-by-moment focus, pace and precision of action decide my success. My breath is calculated, my effort is deliberate. No set is wasted, every rep counts.” Not very macho, but I haven’t missed a lifting workout to injury in 2 years now. A miracle.

4) Radically reduced cardio. I used to kill myself trying to burn off calories with cardio. Led to overuse injuries, burnout, and it never kept me lean. Fit but not lean. Now I get on the spin bike twice a week, 30 minutes max. Now that it is warm, I’ll replace one of those with an hour or 2 on the road bike once a week when I get home.

5) Yoga is my focus now. Sounds odd for a fellow who calls himself Yogalete. Truth is I just sort of dabbled in yoga over the years with lots of years where I did none at all. It was always something I could do “later”. At age 50, I realized it was later. I wish I had started taking it more seriously years ago. I see now that trying to get on a path of “mastery” in this is a lot tougher that I thought. I want the practice to be mine, so I minimize class time (and cost), by doing most of my yoga at home, but I do go to class once or twice a week, and I have done couple of seminars (not certs!) this year, and plan more.

Looking ahead, the one thing I want to add is sitting meditation. I’m going to go by the same rules I apply to my diet. An attainable goal with daily success or failure in meeting it. I’ll start with 10 minutes a day after I travel back. May 1st.

Ok, there is my narcissistic long-winded log intro. I got carried away. Too much coffee.

Today’s plan is the primary ashtanga series from Beryl Birch’s Power Yoga DVD. The hotel I am in has an adequate gym, so I have been alternating using it and the yoga.
"All you have to do is decide that wherever you are is the best place there is. Once you start comparing one place to another, there's no end to it."- Sodo Yokoyama

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Don't think. Feeeeeeeeel

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:26 am

As a mid-fifties road warrior, I've had very similar experiences and come to similar conclusions. The single most important conclusion is to listen to my body and try not to force it to perform to my "plan". Part of my present path is to be creative and just do something 4-6 days per week even if it's off plan or very easy. It's becoming a discipline/habit similar to some of what you described about what you're doing.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:47 am

I'll follow this with interest. And a lot of that intro resonates.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:32 pm

Thanks for the replies Odin and Doc. Not being a slave to any log, plan, or numbers does pretty much sum up what I am saying.

4/25 - I did Ashtanga Primary as planned. Did not do headstands or attempt handstands. Hotel room a little crowded, and visions of breaking my neck so far from home stopped me. Worked on some backbends and some of the Bikram standing poses for the last 20 -25 minutes.

I also did an hour of cardio later on (in contradiction to my intro where I say I limit it to 30 minutes). What can I say, I was bored, it killed an hour, then I ate and went right back to sleep. 30 min bike (hard)/30 min treadmill walking @ ~ 13 mpm/7 degree incline.

4/26 - Hours are all wonky here. Working days today vs nights last week. Up at 0300 and in the gym. Went through the whole body in ~45 minutes, mostly with dumbells. Got in 25 chins (5 x 5) interspersed throughout the workout. I am the kind of guy who, if he stopped training for a couple of months, couldn't do one chinup. My current max (as of a couple of weeks ago) is 14 reps. When I do them in workouts, if I go anywhere near maxing out, I die. In the following sets, the reps fall off to next to nothing fast. So, when doing multiple sets, I stay in the 4-6 range mostly and max out only rarely.

Note, I feel like I am leaning out a little here. Limiting myself to one meal a day in the hotel, with no followup snacks like I might at home. I did get taken out for a PI fish stew and karaoke meal thing Saturday. But overall I think my daily calories have been down. Subjectively, I look leaner, and pants are a little looser. Good.
"All you have to do is decide that wherever you are is the best place there is. Once you start comparing one place to another, there's no end to it."- Sodo Yokoyama

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:48 am

4/27 - Changing shifts again. Slept ~13 hours. Woke up, coffee, then 1 hour yoga. 5 each x sun salutations a & b
Warrior 1 &2
Various trikonasa, (revolved)
The remainder was on the fly, working on hip openers & back bends, plus a quick run through of the bikram standing poses.

At breakfast now, then I think I will crash. Exhausted,

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:31 pm

4/28 - The same yoga I have been doing for 2 weeks. 1st 50 min or so of primary ashtanga series, then freeform stuff.

I don't normally have to force myself to do a planned workout. Sometimes it isn''t all joyous or anything, but it rarely takes a lot of self-talk to get started. Today it did. Just flat tired. I was never a great traveler or tourist, but I really dislike it as I get older. Crazy, long hours, and putting on my social, nice face for extended periods have drained me.

Once I got going it turned out great. Good sweat going, and some improvement in my binds.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:53 pm

I found yoga required more mental effort beforehand (sometimes) than even my toughest weights workouts, but as you experienced here, by the time I'd got through the first couple of sun salutations I was normally away.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:54 pm

4/29 - Hotel gym. 30 min bike. Some pretty hard reps between mins 10-25. 1000 meeter row @ 4;15. Just cause the c2 was there. Then 50 min weights. Machines & cables mostly. Good, slow reps. Stayed in the 12-20 rep range. Good sweat, good focus. Then a good meal & a nap. Getting ready to leave for the airport soon. A little light JM & stretching before I leave. Same thing @ the layovers most likely. Find a quiet corner & do it. Who cares how it looks? 23 hours on planes, cabs, & airports is a killer on the old bones.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:07 pm

Interesting tl, Yogalete. Thanks for posting this. Nice.

I've been doing some thinking lately and reading some different articles about Marv Marinovich's training of BJ Penn as well as other athletes and while I don't think it is the end all be all of training it is very interesting and he does get goood results. I know he gets a lot of flak as far as being a nut case but I think he has some intersting ideas. I guess what I am saying is that I am going to try to add in more balance work and proprieceptive work into my training just as an experiment. I bought the package/program below a long time ago and would do it in the early mornings and lift weights at lunch. I am going to try to start doing it again as an adjunct to my joint/dynamic mobility. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit and view it as a type of dynamic mobility workout and midsection training as well as balance.

Not sure exactly why I am telling you all of this. I guess it goes along with what you were saying about wanting to include more yoga, which I also enjoy quite a bit, and thought it might be something you would be interested in and possibly benefit from adding in a little bit of this type of training. Just a thought.

Anyway, nice training log and I will be following your progress.

Mickey

http://www.dynamicworkout.com/

Yogalete

Re: Don't think. Feeeeeeeeel.

Post by Yogalete » Mon May 03, 2010 1:20 am

4/30 - Travel day from hell. ~33 hours from hotel to home.

5/1 - Home. Very tired, but got up and mowed the yard. Then to yoga class. This being the 1st Saturday of the month, it was OTY East studio with Lynn. ~75 min Silent Bikram class. Only 6 people showed up, which was nice. Nobody but me interested in staying for the advanced Bikram series, so I got a private class. Cool. We worked on arm balances, and all of the various hip openers and lotus variations. Did not do the whole series, which was good because I was fading fast.

My plan for classes is as follows: 1st Sat of month - Advanced Bikram. 2nd and 4th Saturday is Ashtanga. 3rd Sat will be vinyasa. Will also mix in a weekday morning silent Bikram class. I also want to try an eclectic class and yin yoga at some point this summer.

5/2 - 16.2 miles cycling (55:55). 1st outdoor ride since Oct. Nice weather, felt great. Used the Garmin, even though if feeds my numbers mania. I get the urge to calculate projected summer mileage, average speed, etc. To counter that I wore the iPod, and listened to a great soundboard live Steely Dan recording from 1993. Some good tunes from The Nightfly and Kamakiriad included. Last summer, when I got the bike, I quickly ramped up the miles and was doing a lot of hills from the get go. Strained my calf which limited my yoga for several weeks. I want to avoid that this year. No drudgery on the bike, just fun. I had years of miles for the sake of miles. 2 hours will be my absolute limit ride this summer.

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Mon May 03, 2010 1:26 am

odin wrote:I found yoga required more mental effort beforehand (sometimes) than even my toughest weights workouts, but as you experienced here, by the time I'd got through the first couple of sun salutations I was normally away.
So true. That is why I procrastinated working on yoga for so long. I can be a perfectionist, and it never felt like I was doing yoga if I wasn't in total silence, focusing on breath and bandhas, etc. It was always a lot easier to just go for a run than to settle down, be quiet, and "do yoga".

I've loosened up, but I still have a lot of that going on. That is one reason I am not attracted to YRG, for example. Feels more like PE than yoga. Heart rate monitors?

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Mon May 03, 2010 1:29 am

Thanks for reading Mickey. I'll check that out. One thing is for sure, as I've gotten older, mobility and well-being are *everything*.

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Mon May 03, 2010 2:05 am

Forgot to mention I lost 4 lbs over 2 weeks in Manila. Down 8 lbs & almost an inch off the waist snce 1 April.

For no logical reason, I'd like to lose another 10 lbs this summer. That would put me @ 170.

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Mon May 03, 2010 5:45 pm

5/3 - A.M. Basement workout - ~30 minutes
5 x Sun Salutations A. Then 30 min weights.
Dips 3 x 10
Chins 3 x 4
JS Band Presses x 12
Wall Handstands x 2 (1/2 inch presses)
Powerblock Presses 40 x 15
Powerblock Curls 40 x 12, 8
JS Band Overhead Triceps Press 12,12
Powerblock RDL - 40 x 10,10
Powerblock Lunges - 40 x 10
Done pretty much nonstop with no rest at all between sets (supersetting). Music - Texas Blues Cafe podcast.

jimburnetto

Post by jimburnetto » Tue May 04, 2010 3:17 am

vain forearm vein.

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Tue May 11, 2010 11:53 am

Vascularity is underrated Jim. Update your log!

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Tue May 11, 2010 11:55 am

5/4 - A.M. - JM and hip openers.
Afternoon - Office Yoga.

5/5 - A.M. - Nothing. Having trouble waking up. Late class last night, and haven't recovered from trip yet.

5/6 - A.M. - Field House 10 min bike (warmup). 1 hour weights. 30 min bike (hard)
Lunch - 40 min yoga

5/7 - A.M. - Bikram class. OTY West. Lisa.

5/8 - A.M. - Basement. 30 min spin. Only son graduates college today.

5/9 - A.M. - Basement. 30 min weights/25 min stretch.

5/10 - P.M. - Vinyasa class. OTY East. Lynn C. Excellent. 1st 1/3 of class was "yin". 3-5 minute holds of hip openers. Then a strenuous hour of vinyasa. Felt great. Really enjoyed her class. I'll be going to more of them.

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Sun May 16, 2010 2:35 am

5/11 - Lunch yoga.

5/12 - Nothing. Sleepy this morning.

5/13 - A.M. - Silent Bikram class. Still sleepy and stiff, but not bad.

5/14 - A.M. - Field House - 10 min eliptical warmup.
60 min weights. Moving very quickly, hitting the whole body.
4 x 500 row/60 sec recovery - 2:10,2:06,2:05,2:04. Just getting a feel for the rower. I may start alternating this with a swim.
10 min stairs (41 floors)

5/15 - A.M. - Yoga Day @ OTY West. 0905-1035: Bikram w/Lisa. Thought it was going to suck, but turned out to be great (even though the class was super crowded including several people taking their first class). After a one hour break it was 90 minute Vinyasa w/Lynn S. Again, this was fantastic. Worked on many poses with shoulders under knees (compass, tortoise). Noticeable improvement in these.

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Sun May 23, 2010 6:45 pm

5/16 - A.M. 20.7 miles on the bike. Coolish (55), very windy, and cloudy. Papio bike path, north to Fort. Afternoon general stretching.

5/17 - Lunch yoga ~40 min.

5/18 - A.M. - Basement weights. 50 minutes. Felt good! Focus on high reps (nothing less than 15, most sets > 20 reps, slow and focused), upper body, but I did incorporate 100 bodyweight squats (10,20,30,40).

Lunch yoga ~30 minutes.

5/19 - Lunch yoga ~35 minutes.

5/20 - A.M. OTY West/Ashley. Silent Bikram class.

5/21 - A.M. Field House - 1 mile walk warmup
75 minutes weights. Worked hard today.
Chins throughout the upper body work, Probably 8 sets of 5-7 reps, various grips.
Dips BW x 20, BW+15# x 3 x 8
Various Machines, focusing on intensity and technique. Hit the whole body.
2500m row - 1000 @ 4:13, 500 x 2 @ 2:02.9, 2:02.5, 250 x 2 @ 1 min each. Just ever so gradually picking up the pace.
1/2 mile walk cooldown.

5/22 - A.M. Road bike. 20.3 miles.

5/23 - P.M. Advanced vinyasa class - OTY East/Lynn S. Great! Got good and loose. Great progress on binds. I was the only male in a class of 15. Not a bad thing.

jimburnetto

Post by jimburnetto » Wed May 26, 2010 12:15 am

that rower will wreck you!! It is of the devil. There are 2 at 24 hour fitness. They taunted me this afternoon, but I resisted.

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Mon May 31, 2010 6:45 pm

5/24 - Lunch yoga ~ 30 minutes.

5/25 - A.M. Basement - 35 min spin.

5/26 - A.M. Field House - 1 mile walk warmup
1 hour weights - whole body
12 minute/2717m row
Walked lap of gym to cooldown (600 meters on the track)
30 min stretch
Dead tired today. Sleepy.

5/27 - A.M. OTY West/Ashley. Silent Bikram class.

5/28 - A.M. 57 min walk. Stopped at playgrounds for a total of 150 squats, 150 pushups, 35 chins. Good to do this again. Felt good.
Lunch yoga - 30 minutes.

5/29 - A.M. Yoga day. OTY West. Bikram class w/Lisa. Ashtanga class w/Lynn. Whipped!

5/30 - A.M. 20.4 mile road bike. Tired and sore from previous 2 days.

5/31 - A.M. 2.3 miles walking around Boys Town while the wife ran the 5 mile Memorial Day race there. Putzing around, taking pictures.
Noon - 23.7 miles road bike (Walnut Creek Lake loop).
General stretching later.
Last edited by Yogalete on Mon May 31, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Mon May 31, 2010 6:45 pm

jimburnetto wrote:that rower will wreck you!! It is of the devil. There are 2 at 24 hour fitness. They taunted me this afternoon, but I resisted.
Don't think...Feeeeeeeeeel...